Move Equality (Playable) Whirlpool, Fire Spin, Infestation & Sand Tomb are now banned (see post 193)

Durant seems pretty nice in this meta, as where in standard metas it doesn't hit harder than normal wallbreakers due to the low BP of its moves, here competing wallbreakers have had their power reduced while Durant's has increased. For example:

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Rock Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 211-250 (52.2 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's pretty huge. Only has one answer in the form of like, phys def Mega Scizor with a set of bug bite/iron head/rock smash/crunch, and even then it's 2hko'd after rocks if Durant gets the 50% chance of a Rock Smash def drop. Also if it really wants a reliable move it can run Aerial Ace, which still hits pretty hard with hustle- that is, about as hard as Talonflame's STAB Brave Bird. Too bad it's just below 110 speed, but still very speedy for such a powerful wallbreaker.
It has Hone Claws, decent bulk backed by an excellent typing (Making it fairly reliable in hitting up the Hone Claws), and enough Speed to deal with most things. After a Hone Claws its Hustle moves no longer miss, while hitting 225% harder than if it had neither Hustle nor the +1. Off 109 Attack, that's actually pretty good.

Durant also has Feint Attack for another 100% reliable move if you're ignoring Hone Claws). It's even decent coverage against Ghosts that have protection from its Steel STAB, such as Jellicent, Doublade, etc.

Trapping with Fire Spin, Infestation and Whirlpool is much more common now due to them being some of the better moves, and this is definitely of benefit to all playstyles (stall gets 100BP move which traps, damages turn-for-turn and means that you can condition things which can't beat you but heal up on you to not heal up, and I can see a far greater rate of stallbreaking as well a-la Magma Storm Heatran). I'm interested to see what other developments there are.
I'm hoping trapping doesn't end up stupid-broken. I'm particularly concerned by the possibility of Ghosts using using Taunt+powerful partial trapping on Chansey sort of thing. That's possible in standard, but nobody runs partial trapping moves because the trapping/residual damage isn't worth the huge sacrifice in firepower, which doesn't apply here.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only 'mons with Pressure that have the bulk and typing to actually drain a significant amount of PP are Suicune and Zapdos, and I really fail to see how a dramatic increase in available PP makes Pressure better, because while they might feasibly fully drain out a low-PP move before, now they often need to last an exceedingly long time to do that. Zapdos is still probably good -- hell, its unique STAB combo could let it run Tbolt+Air Cutter+Heat Wave+HP Ice for a bulky attacking set, or removing one of those for Roost, idk -- but Pressure is definitely not more relevant in this meta.
I was less referring to the defensive Pressure users and more the offensive ones like Weavile due to their ability to maybe clear an extra 1 or 2 PP vs. your opponent (although I somehow forgot to highlight it in my post :/). It was silly on my part tbh, and I feel like more clutch is a better way to describe it than more relevant - as you are right when you say that it is harder to fully drain a move now.

I definitely think Zapdos is the best user ATM simply because it has such good typing, reliable recovery, good bulk and Pressure to put strain on things which fail to deal more than around 60% to it (as, in a 1v1 situation where Zapdos starts at full health, repeatedly Roosting v.s. a 58%-or-so damage move is gonna make it stall out around 10 PP with Pressure before its forced out, while it finds lots of opportunities to come in due to its good STABs, bulk and defensive typing.
===============================================================
Mega Beedrill+Keldeo+Talonflame is definitely the best offensive core ATM, as they cover all of one-another's weaknesses with their stupendously good attacks. Priority Peck/Aerial Ace from Talonflame (depending if you value more PP or avoiding random drops from random Mirror Shots) in conjunction with Flame Charge both prevent Talon from impaling itself on Ferrothorn and Garchomp and let it take on priority better if it chooses to run adamant, and Keldeo+Mega Beedrill break all of one-another's counters barring Ferrothorn - which Talonflame just oblitterates.

Also Draining Kiss Aromatisse is just there to leave Sylveon even more overshadowed as a cleric (by running Draining Kiss, Sylveon stops being overshadowed by Clefable and starts being overshadowed by Aromatisse instead). Also, Florges is now even more outclassed, as it is now just plain outclassed by both CM Clef and cleric Aromatisse. And dear god Kelfki just got an upgrade. If there was any doubt about it being the best spiker before, there certainly isn't anymore. It can scrap both Foul Play and Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam for the almighty Draining Kiss! 75% recovery on a 100 BP move definitely bolsters a large number of fairies and leaves Clefable's position as top fairy contested!

Jynx is interesting too; it has access to Dry Skin to act as a choice Keldeo check, has access to the covetted Frost Breath, access to Lovely Kiss, great coverage in Ice+Psychic+Fire/Fighting (Frost Breath+Psyshock/Psychic+HP Fire/HP Fighting) and cool options such as Sub and Nasty Plot to take advantage of. I'm interested to see the effect it'll have on the meta.

Aurorus now has no reason to run Refrigerate, as Frost Breath is both more powerful than Pixilate Hyper Voice and ignores CM boosts/Light Screen. I could see this thing getting more usage for its ability to overright the weathers of annoying rain teams, sand teams and CharY+Venu teams. Either scarf or Balloon work, depending on whether you want to be able to switch into Excadrill's Bulldoze or you want to be able to outpace weather 'mons after coming in. I don't think it'll be that big, but it is cool nonetheless.

There's also Pinsir, who can now use Storm Throw>CC and Double Hit>Return for some mega punishment!

... ok I'm starting to agree that there is too much stuff that is made dumb by the 100% crit moves. I'll test them out more later and I may just quickban them.

Lots of other cool stuff to discuss, such as Ambipom, Nidoking (physical/physically-based mix Nido is now viable), Nidoqueen (top T-Spike tank ahoy) Excadrill (Bulldoze+100 BP spin make this thing the king of the construction site while making Scarf no longer suffer from being locked into a 20 BP attack) and so much other stuff.

Last edited:
Golurk actually looks to be pretty decent in this meta. A 100 BP, Iron Fist-boosted, STAB Shadow Punch coming off a 124 base ATK is nothing to scoff at. It also has perfect neutral coverage and healing with Drain Punch, Thunder/Ice Punch for added super effective coverage, and Bulldoze for STAB and speed drops. If you can work around its piddling speed, it could potentially put in a lot of work.

Golurk actually looks to be pretty decent in this meta. A 100 BP, Iron Fist-boosted, STAB Shadow Punch coming off a 124 base ATK is nothing to scoff at. It also has perfect neutral coverage and healing with Drain Punch, Thunder/Ice Punch for added super effective coverage, and Bulldoze for STAB and speed drops. If you can work around its piddling speed, it could potentially put in a lot of work.
Iron Fist also boosts Drain Punch, Thunder/Ice/Fire Punch, and Power Up Punch. It's only a 20% boost, but if you're not going for No Guard Dynamic Punch it's still a free boost to a few different moves. Bulldoze also directly helps with its Speed troubles, since it can potentially hit things on the switch and suddenly outspeed them, especially with, say, Sticky Web backing.

Jynx is interesting too; it has access to Dry Skin to act as a choice Keldeo check, has access to the covetted Frost Breath, access to Lovely Kiss, great coverage in Ice+Psychic+Fire/Fighting (Frost Breath+Psyshock/Psychic+HP Fire/HP Fighting) and cool options such as Sub and Nasty Plot to take advantage of. I'm interested to see the effect it'll have on the meta.

Aurorus now has no reason to run Refrigerate, as Frost Breath is both more powerful than Pixilate Hyper Voice and ignores CM boosts/Light Screen. I could see this thing getting more usage for its ability to overright the weathers of annoying rain teams, sand teams and CharY+Venu teams. Either scarf or Balloon work, depending on whether you want to be able to switch into Excadrill's Bulldoze or you want to be able to outpace weather 'mons after coming in. I don't think it'll be that big, but it is cool nonetheless.

There's also Pinsir, who can now use Storm Throw>CC and Double Hit>Return for some mega punishment!

... ok I'm starting to agree that there is too much stuff that is made dumb by the 100% crit moves. I'll test them out more later and I may just quickban them.
I doubt they'll need quickbanning. They mostly have poor distribution.

Refrigerate Hyper Voice will still ignore Substitutes, never misses, and doesn't care about Shell Armor/Battle Armor/Lucky Chant. (Which might become relevant if the auto-crit moves prove good, or Focus Energy high critical hit ratio proves more viable all around) I wouldn't assume Aurorus has no reason to go there.

Double Hit isn't really worth running over Return. It's only 90% accurate. Mega Pinsir will probably actually run a set like Secret Power or Headbutt/Storm Throw/Bulldoze/Swords Dance.

Jynx meanwhile is still held back by a problematic Speed tier and awful Physical durability. It might work as a neat Scarf set or a stallbreaker, but I suspect that's about it.

Gust is a noteworthy beneficiary of the recent code change. Volcarona gets reliable Flying coverage now, and it doesn't even need to tap Hidden Power for it -which is good, because if it wants Hidden Power it's probably going to grab Ground instead, for Heatran.

Aaaand I just realized Dragonite has Flying STAB. On both Physical and Special, even: Wing Attack for Physical, Gust for Special. (Or you can run Air Cutter for Special, which is basically Aeroblast with more PP here, but going from a 6.25% crit chance to a 12.5% crit chance doesn't seem worth the chance of missing)

Gliscor, (Mega) Aerodactyl, Hawlucha (Though it has Acrobatics already and Sitrus Unburden probably prefers it), Archeops, and if for some reason you run Physical non-X Charizard it too also all get Physical Flying STAB from Wing Attack where they didn't have it before. So that's cool.

Ghosts of course get a big benefit to their STAB offense all around, especially on the Physical end. Going from 70 BP (Or 60 for those limited to Shadow Punch! Golurk, say) to 100 BP is excellent.

I've mentioned this before, I'm pretty sure, but Rock gets a tremendous benefit due to Smack Down being found on almost every fully evolved Rock type (And a good number of non-Rock types, like Diggersby, Machamp, Pinsir...), allowing Rock to finally reliably smash things. Huzzah!

---

I was intending to wait until I had replays, but matches keep not happening. :(

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Gliscor, (Mega) Aerodactyl, Hawlucha (Though it has Acrobatics already and Sitrus Unburden probably prefers it), Archeops, and if for some reason you run Physical non-X Charizard it too also all get Physical Flying STAB from Wing Attack where they didn't have it before. So that's cool.
Just a quick note on this - all of these get Acrobatics, and, excluding MegaDactyl, the 5 BP drop is more made up for by power doubling if you end up having to rake a Knock Off for whatever reason. (Gliscor doesn't care about its Toxic Orb after PH activated, and non-mega char is probably Belly Drum + Sitrus anyway).

Your mention of Ghosts reminded me of Metagamiate - types (or just mons) that rely on low BP moves in OU get large buffs in both metagames, such as Mega Banette, Manaphy, Bisharp, Weavile (these two aren't super happy that Knock Off is comparatively weaker, though). Mega Sharpedo in particular looks very happy - Strong Jaws STAB Crunch Bite will be pretty tough to wall, and it gets a decent movepool with Poison (50% Toxic!)/Ice Fang, Rock Smash, Fury Cutter (lol) and Destiny Bond to steal a KO.

Just a quick note on this - all of these get Acrobatics, and, excluding MegaDactyl, the 5 BP drop is more made up for by power doubling if you end up having to rake a Knock Off for whatever reason. (Gliscor doesn't care about its Toxic Orb after PH activated, and non-mega char is probably Belly Drum + Sitrus anyway).
It's a 45 BP drop. Wing Attack/Aerial Ace -I should've looked into Aerial Ace actually- is 100 BP in Move Equality, while Acrobatics sits at 55 unless you trigger it.

Counting Aerial Ace holy crap do a ton of Pokemon suddenly have viable Flying coverage/STAB in Move Equality. (Wing Attack does have more PP, though)

Your mention of Ghosts reminded me of Metagamiate - types (or just mons) that rely on low BP moves in OU get large buffs in both metagames, such as Mega Banette, Manaphy, Bisharp, Weavile (these two aren't super happy that Knock Off is comparatively weaker, though). Mega Sharpedo in particular looks very happy - Strong Jaws STAB Crunch will be pretty tough to wall, and it gets decent coverage.
Tyrantrum is also a bit of a terror. It can effectively run a 4-STAB movepool. (Or more likely 3+Dragon Dance)

And don't forget Mega Blastoise, who even actually cares about Water Pulse if it runs raw overwhelming firepower. Who cares about Water Spout when Water Pulse hits just as hard, more reliably, with more PP and a useful side effect?

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Derp. I forgot acro wasn't 100BP.

I forgot to mention Volt-turn, which obviously appreciates a ~50% increase in power for both pivoting moves. Mega Manectric with Volt Switch/HP Ice/ two from Flamethrower, Signal Beam, Snarl, Discharge (or you can run twave I guess) and Charge Beam looks pretty deadly, Intimidate+Snarl is pretty cool especially with Volt Switch.

Edit: also, why is Megagross banned? There's nothing in this thread about it, and it doesn't gain HUGELY from this meta from what I can see (10/20 BP upgrade on STABs and 25 on punching coverage, but bullet punch is still 40 BP). I know it's excellent in OU but how does this translate? (I'm not questioning the ban necessarily, I just don't understand it.)
e2: thanks snaq

Last edited:
Iron Fist also boosts Drain Punch, Thunder/Ice/Fire Punch, and Power Up Punch. It's only a 20% boost, but if you're not going for No Guard Dynamic Punch it's still a free boost to a few different moves. Bulldoze also directly helps with its Speed troubles, since it can potentially hit things on the switch and suddenly outspeed them, especially with, say, Sticky Web backing.
And speaking of hazards, with Rapid Spin being more common than Defog in this metagame, Golurk also finds a good support niche as a spinblocker who can set-up its own Stealth Rocks and OHKO some of the most popular spinners using just its STABs. With an Assault Vest, it can live a Scald from offensive Starmie and then OHKO with Shadow Punch. In fact, it has a decent chance of OHKOing Starmie even if it gets burned.

252+ Atk Iron Fist burned Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 238-282 (90.8 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

That's pretty neat.

EDIT: I should also mention that Jirachi could be a real menace to deal with. Not only did Iron Head flinchhax get a 20 BP boost, now it also has access to 100 BP Heart Stamp flinchhax.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I doubt they'll need quickbanning. They mostly have poor distribution.
The reason I am debating it ATM is due to Pinsir and Mew getting Storm Throw and Frost Breath, respectively. However, because they aren't STAB, I see where you're coming from (for example, the only STAB Storm Throw that is worth using even a fraction of the time is Pangoro, who is made better by it). Mind you, I wouldn't sleep on Abomasnow. It is great for weather control and has STAB Frost Breath+Giga Drain+HP Fire/HP Fighting/Rock Smash+Ice Shard at its disposal to destroy souls.
Refrigerate Hyper Voice will still ignore Substitutes, never misses, and doesn't care about Shell Armor/Battle Armor/Lucky Chant. (Which might become relevant if the auto-crit moves prove good, or Focus Energy high critical hit ratio proves more viable all around) I wouldn't assume Aurorus has no reason to go there.
I respect that logic. I mean, I think your choice of Hyper Voice or Frost Breath depends on whether you opt for a wallbreaker set with Specs/LO (Hyper Voice is preferred to stop SubSeed shinanigans), or a scarf/balloon set (extra power from Frost Breath is greatly appreciated). I mean, Aurorus won't be that good due to its crippling typing, but it is a niche option for teams which struggle with weather (which is why I made a special mention of Frost Breath, as Snow Warning+STAB Frost Breath+STAB Ancient Power is basically the only reason to use this thing tbch)
Double Hit isn't really worth running over Return. It's only 90% accurate. Mega Pinsir will probably actually run a set like Secret Power or Headbutt/Storm Throw/Bulldoze/Swords Dance.
I mis-calculated Double Hit's power :/ It looked better when I forgot it was 50 (not 75 like Ambipom has), and (50*1.3)+(50*1.3) is the same as 100*1.3 :( RIP in pepperoni 195 BP STAB dream. Mind you, I wouldn't use Bulldoze on this thing if you run Storm Throw as it means sacrificing Quick Attack (one of its most important cleaning tools) for an attack which doesn't really hit anything that Storm Throw doesn't.
Jynx meanwhile is still held back by a problematic Speed tier and awful Physical durability. It might work as a neat Scarf set or a stallbreaker, but I suspect that's about it.
Agreed. I still like the prospect of messing around with its improved power, Frost Breath and Lovely Kiss though, and its speed tier is high enough for it to force switches v.s. stuff like non-scarf Lando/Chomp.
Gust is a noteworthy beneficiary of the recent code change. Volcarona gets reliable Flying coverage now, and it doesn't even need to tap Hidden Power for it -which is good, because if it wants Hidden Power it's probably going to grab Ground instead, for Heatran.
Unless I am mistaken, Gust is self-boosting (it isn't boosted by Fly, it boosts itself when it hits something in the Flying state - just like how Stomp is more powerful v.s. something in a minimised state).
Aaaand I just realized Dragonite has Flying STAB. On both Physical and Special, even: Wing Attack for Physical, Gust for Special. (Or you can run Air Cutter for Special, which is basically Aeroblast with more PP here, but going from a 6.25% crit chance to a 12.5% crit chance doesn't seem worth the chance of missing)
I'm looking foreward to band with Wing Attack. Band with Wing Attack+Dragon Claw+PuP+E-Speed is going to be brutal to switch into. Also, a specially-oriented LO set with Air Cutter+Dragon Breath+HP Fighting+Incinerate/E-Speed/Roost could see use
Wing Attack Gliscor sounds kinda scary for stall, Aerodactyl is stupidly good offensively due to Tough Claws, its high power and its god-like speed tier (STAB Wing Attack, STAB Rock Tomb and 130 BP coverage is also nothing to scoff at). Hawlucha can now run more than just SD sweeper due to it having use mid-game due to it being less reliant on Unburden (Mold Breaker Ice Punch OHKOs Dragonite from full health (doesn't without Mold Breaker and lets you to OHKO Lando-T around 30% of the time after rocks (intimidate drop is the only thing which stops the OHKO), U-Turn allows it to grab momentum, Drain Punch allows it to stay healthy, Wing Attack hits a lot of the stuff Drain Punch doesn't, Rock Tomb hits flying-types while allowing for speed control etc.) and it has a really good speed tier anyway, outpacing stuff like Serp, Raikou and Thundurus. Archeops really dislikes Defeatist, but its lead set is noticably better than before due to it having speed control (Rock Tomb); I don't thing it will really benefit from the Flying-type STAB unless move equality UU ever comes into fruition. MixZard Y might benefit from this, but I feel like Bulldoze and Flame Charge are much more notable additions due to their ability to affect its speed tier.
Ghosts of course get a big benefit to their STAB offense all around, especially on the Physical end. Going from 70 BP (Or 60 for those limited to Shadow Punch! Golurk, say) to 100 BP is excellent.
I can't wait to wall out Excadrill with Golurk, and the ability to OHKO Starmie after living its attack is HUGE. Great 'mon for spikes-stacking teams.
I've mentioned this before, I'm pretty sure, but Rock gets a tremendous benefit due to Smack Down being found on almost every fully evolved Rock type (And a good number of non-Rock types, like Diggersby, Machamp, Pinsir...), allowing Rock to finally reliably smash things. Huzzah!
I think it is more of benefit things which can't beat Skarmory otherwise (Pinsir can use it alongside Bulldoze if it wants to lure and KO Skarmory, Diggersby can smack it with a STAB Bulldoze after hitting it with Smack Down, Machamp proceeds to KO with Bulldoze... basically, it+Bulldoze is the way to go. Rock STABs will often benefit more from Rock Tomb tho due to their generally poor speed tiers making the speed control greatly appreciated.
Edit: also, why is Megagross banned? There's nothing in this thread about it, and it doesn't gain HUGELY from this meta from what I can see (10/20 BP upgrade on STABs and 25 on punching coverage, but bullet punch is still 40 BP). I know it's excellent in OU but how does this translate? (I'm not questioning the ban necessarily, I just don't understand it.)
With Tough Claws, this thing is both faster and stronger than the 4-STAB beast Tyrantrum. It is just so hard to combat when you have 4 130 BP moves (before STAB) and PuP+Iron Head+Zen Headbutt+Grass Knot/Thunder Punch/Ice Punch legitimately unwallable coverage. It can now almost OHKO pretty much anything not called Bronzong with the correct coverage move, which it couldn't achieve before, and it can just keep boosting with PuP until it reaches a point where it breaks through anything that it can't 2HKO (Skarm if not T-Punch, Slowbro if Ice Punch, Bronzong for any set etc.). Therefore, I deemed it'd be unhealthy to leave this thing around to terrorise the metagame - moreso than even Mega Beedrill.
And speaking of hazards, with Rapid Spin being more common than Defog in this metagame, Golurk also finds a good support niche as a spinblocker who can set-up its own Stealth Rocks and OHKO some of the most popular spinners using just its STABs. With an Assault Vest, it can live a Scald from offensive Starmie and then OHKO with Shadow Punch. In fact, it has a decent chance of OHKOing Starmie even if it gets burned.

252+ Atk Iron Fist burned Golurk Shadow Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 238-282 (90.8 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

That's pretty neat.
You guys are making me love the based lord Golurk more...
EDIT: I should also mention that Jirachi could be a real menace to deal with. Not only did Iron Head flinchhax get a 20 BP boost, now it also has access to 100 BP Heart Stamp flinchhax.
Secret Power+Heart Stamp+Iron Head+filler sounds scary. PuP in the last slot hits steels and allows you to boost to a point where things like Bronzong and Skarmory aren't healing more than they take :]

Last edited:
I really feel that we should keep an eye on Keldeo. There seems to be little reason not to run Keldeo, as it is basically everything one could want from a special attacker: Beats Chansey, 2HKOs nigh-everything short of Cresselia and AV Slowking, fast, and fairly bulky. Basically what it is in standard, except its "shit movepool" problem has vanished and been replaced with a "perfect movepool" problem: Icy Wind + HP Electric has the nasty ability to cover the Grass-, Dragon-, and Water-types that resist one or both of its STABs. It's like a Special version of (standard) Mega Charizard X, except it doesn't take a mega slot. This has all been said before, but I'm officially saying that I suspect it will be overcentralizing and make things substantially harder on slower teams than it is already, and should be subject to scrutiny.

Mega Beedrill is also a problem, but really only in conjunction with Keldeo -- its frailty and less-than-comprehensive movepool make me more optimistic about it being handled.

One last thing:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge
- Roost / Quick Attack

CharX's BD+Flame Charge set is back, except now Flame Charge actually packs a punch in its own right, and gets excellent coverage with Dragon Claw. Roost fixes the problem of losing half your HP, while Quick Attack OHKOs Thundurus and Talonflame before they can move if you've set up Belly Drum and Flame Charge. What can take on this set after a boost?

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 210-247 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Well, CharX is so naturally powerful that it doesn't need a boost to 2HKO these things (though Quag has... a chance...). What about things that resist Fire+Dragon?

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 256-302 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < Nobody runs this.
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 321-378 (90.6 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 328-387 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO < Who the fuck runs max def Heatran?
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 453-533 (117.6 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 573-675 (142.8 - 168.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What is the set's singular reliable switch-in?

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Thick Fat Azumarill: 198-233 (49 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Oh wow, I actually expected that to work. Never mind I guess.

The various things I didn't mention here? OHKOed at +6. All of them. Except Carbink. Don't run Carbink.

Martin

Would anyone have any objections to quickbanning Keldeo? Honestly, I agree with Akumeoy that this thing is just stupid to try and deal with and it has no opportunity cost to its use a-la Greninja in standard. I think that, with it out of the picture, it'll be easier to focus on other things. Anyway...

I'm liking the prospect of BD Zard. It forces a lot of switches, giving it lots of setup opportunities, and has stellar cleaning ability once it can get the ball rolling, it can roost on a lot of things, and its dual STABs just cover so much ground.
The various things I didn't mention here? OHKOed at +6. All of them. Except Carbink. Don't run Carbink.
You forgot non-mega Diancie ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I haven't had enough matches with Move Equality to comment on bans. I can certainly see Keldeo being a problem, but I haven't actually fought or used it yet. I'd like to see replays/have matches involving it before a decision is made, personally.

fffffff

I really feel that we should keep an eye on Keldeo. There seems to be little reason not to run Keldeo, as it is basically everything one could want from a special attacker: Beats Chansey, 2HKOs nigh-everything short of Cresselia and AV Slowking, fast, and fairly bulky. Basically what it is in standard, except its "shit movepool" problem has vanished and been replaced with a "perfect movepool" problem: Icy Wind + HP Electric has the nasty ability to cover the Grass-, Dragon-, and Water-types that resist one or both of its STABs. It's like a Special version of (standard) Mega Charizard X, except it doesn't take a mega slot. This has all been said before, but I'm officially saying that I suspect it will be overcentralizing and make things substantially harder on slower teams than it is already, and should be subject to scrutiny.

Mega Beedrill is also a problem, but really only in conjunction with Keldeo -- its frailty and less-than-comprehensive movepool make me more optimistic about it being handled.

One last thing:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge
- Roost / Quick Attack

CharX's BD+Flame Charge set is back, except now Flame Charge actually packs a punch in its own right, and gets excellent coverage with Dragon Claw. Roost fixes the problem of losing half your HP, while Quick Attack OHKOs Thundurus and Talonflame before they can move if you've set up Belly Drum and Flame Charge. What can take on this set after a boost?

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 210-247 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Well, CharX is so naturally powerful that it doesn't need a boost to 2HKO these things (though Quag has... a chance...). What about things that resist Fire+Dragon?

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 256-302 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO < Nobody runs this.
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 321-378 (90.6 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 328-387 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO < Who the fuck runs max def Heatran?
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 453-533 (117.6 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 573-675 (142.8 - 168.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

What is the set's singular reliable switch-in?

+6 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Thick Fat Azumarill: 198-233 (49 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Oh wow, I actually expected that to work. Never mind I guess.

Well. That's horrifying.

I mis-calculated Double Hit's power :/ It looked better when I forgot it was 50 (not 75 like Ambipom has), and (50*1.3)+(50*1.3) is the same as 100*1.3 :( RIP in pepperoni 195 BP STAB dream. Mind you, I wouldn't use Bulldoze on this thing if you run Storm Throw as it means sacrificing Quick Attack (one of its most important cleaning tools) for an attack which doesn't really hit anything that Storm Throw doesn't.
Return/Frustration are actually 102 BP at maximum power. BP is also slightly misleading anyway, because there's a weird bonus 2 BP attached to all moves invisibly. So Double Hit is actually more like 52 BP vs Return being 104 BP.

Of course the net result is that they're both identical in strength anyway, so eh.

Return/Frustration are actually 102 BP at maximum power. BP is also slightly misleading anyway, because there's a weird bonus 2 BP attached to all moves invisibly. So Double Hit is actually more like 52 BP vs Return being 104 BP.
Of course the net result is that they're both identical in strength anyway, so eh.
Not that anything should ever run Return anyways; Frustration is an option for fucking with Ditto (bulky DD Mega Altaria comes to mind), while everything that learns Return gets a Normal-type physical move with a secondary effect (in Secret Power at the very least, sometimes they have other options) anyways. The miniscule BP increase doesn't outweigh this.

Will get Keldeo replays when I get the opportunity. All of the Golurk talk in this thread is making me want to run Trick Room... but then, I try Trick Room in every meta, so that's not saying much.

ONE MORE THING that I don't remember if anyone's mentioned: Lati@s can finally use their signature moves! 50% chance to cut Special Attack or Special Defense is nothing to sneeze at, enhancing the pair's defensive and offensive capabilities, respectively. And they get to run Dragon Breath, which is like a special Dragon-type Body Slam (aka awesome), over Draco Meteor which is a shit move.

Last edited:

Martin

Yeah. Latios is going to be so hard to switch in on for anything that isn't Dark-type or SpD Tran ('cause it can just keep roosting up on the blobs until it reaches a point where it can 2HKO them anyway), and most of its switch-ins hate being paralysed. Latias is equally scary, but exchange tanks for special attackers (although it probably isn't as viable as Latios outside of Healing Wish due to Mist Ball's secondary effect being all-around less useful than Luster Purge's).

I've been messing around and I can confirm that Golurk is as good as the theory is suggesting; it increases the viability of a range of playstyles, ranging from spikes stacking to webs offense, and it greatly benefits from the high power of Shadow Punch and Bulldoze. Shadow Punch+Bulldoze+Drain Punch+Stealth Rock/Ice Punch is great :). I think that, ATM, the only thing holding it out of being a potential S candidate is the presence of Keldeo.

Speaking of Keldeo, I have been messing around with some friends and they all think that Keldeo is broken. This is for a few reasons which I will state now.

The only real counterplay to this thing without sacking something off to it is to bring Goth/Wobbuffet or to switch into Bisharp and hope it locks itself into Icy Wind. Therefore, I think that it will cause problems regarding trapper offense (the only consistent way of eliminating it) in the meta; I have been finding that the most effective build ATM is M-Bee (U-Turn, broken synergy with Keldeo)+Keldeo+U-Turn Talonflame+Golurk (lure in trapper with Keld and double out to this to save it and deal heavy damage to something on the opposing team)+trapper (trap Keldeo, good synergy with VoltTurners)+filler, and I am worried that it is going to result in this reducing the meta's diversity and centralising it around one cookie-cutter build. I've not been saving replays, but I am just stating my observations and concerns about the future of the metagame if we choose to keep Keldeo. Does anyone else have anything to add regarding it, as I'd rather make a decision on it sooner rather than later.

Speaking of Bisharp, something that is interesting in this meta (if you look past that dumb cookie-cutter build above) is the potential presence of Defiant and Competitive users. I say this because they can take direct advantage of the prevalence of moves which lower stats, making it significantly easier for them to get the boosts that they need. I think that the only potentally notable ones ATM are Bisharp and Tornadus (Braviary is mostly outclassed by Torny outside of normal STAB, Wigglytuff is trash, Gothitelle is trash without S-Tag, Milotic is outclassed by both Keldeo and Starmie), although they both need to be careful of certain moves which hit them super effectively (Tornadus is weak to Rock Tomb and Icy Wind, Bisharp needs to watch out for Bulldoze etc.). I'm interested in how people will learn to take advantage of this and how people will adapt to beat said 'mons.

Last edited:

Martin

Sorry to double-post, but I've got some cool news!

eos.psim.us now has a chatroom dedicated entirely to Move Equality! This can be found here (I will put this in the OP as well), and it is a place for socialising, arranging matches, asking for help with teams and discussing the metagame with other players in real time. I will try host live tourneys in there, I will appoint room-mods etc. who can host them at times when I can't and I hope that it will get the metagame further off of the ground. Of course, I don't want this thread to lose activity as a result, and bigger discussion posts, suspect discussion etc. are ideal to have in here due to the permanent/non-flooding nature, but it is still definitely worth having running in the background if you want discussion, tips or just somewhere to chat. If I'm online and not running a tourney, I will be on the ladder on that server so that anyone who wants a match and doesn't have a friend to play with can have one.

Last edited:

Martin

Just noticed a bug regarding Gale Wings. If a move is boosted to +1 priority by Gale Wings, it isn't getting boosted. Is someone able to fix this, as I don't know how to do it and neither does my friend.

Bug: talonflame flying type attacks aren't boosted with the current code.

The Gale Wings activates first so the move is considered as priority and isn't boosted.

Code:
{
        name: "Move Equality",
        section: "Other Metagames",
        ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview', 'Swagger Clause', 'Baton Pass Clause'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Salamencite', 'Metagrossite', 'Landorus', 'Mud Slap'],
        onModifyMove: function (move, pokemon) {
            //Account for all moves affected by minimize, terrains/weathers, or two-turn moves (besides earthquake and dragon rush as they're already 100 BP)
            var forbid = ['stomp', 'steamroller', 'bodyslam', 'flyingpress', 'phantomforce', 'shadowforce'];
            if (!move.priority && !move.basePowerCallback && !move.onBasePower && move.basePower && move.category !== 'Status' && forbid.indexOf(move.id) === -1) move.basePower = 100;
            if (!move.priority && move.multihit) {
                if (typeof(move.multihit) === 'number') {
                    move.basePower = 100/move.multihit;
                } else {
                    move.basePower = 100/move.multihit[1];
                }
            }
            if (move.type === 'Flying' && move.category !== 'Status') move.basePower = 100;
        }
    },
Here's the fix.

if you want this random match I accidentally made, here you go:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/perfectpokemonshowdown-moveequality-3703

(This is what happens when you don't put === instead of = and set every move to flying type LOL

This fix will work until whenever we get a priority flying move.

Last edited:
Speaking of Bisharp, something that is interesting in this meta (if you look past that dumb cookie-cutter build above) is the potential presence of Defiant and Competitive users. I say this because they can take direct advantage of the prevalence of moves which lower stats, making it significantly easier for them to get the boosts that they need. I think that the only potentally notable ones ATM are Bisharp and Tornadus (Braviary is mostly outclassed by Torny outside of normal STAB, Wigglytuff is trash, Gothitelle is trash without S-Tag, Milotic is outclassed by both Keldeo and Starmie), although they both need to be careful of certain moves which hit them super effectively (Tornadus is weak to Rock Tomb and Icy Wind, Bisharp needs to watch out for Bulldoze etc.). I'm interested in how people will learn to take advantage of this and how people will adapt to beat said 'mons.
Braviary has higher Attack and better bulk than Tornadus-Incarnate. Braviary's access to Pluck is also functionally a direct upgrade over Tornadus-Incarnate having to run Aerial Ace (Or run itemless Acrobatics), Braviary's access to Rock Tomb is actually relevant in Move Equality (And helps compensate for its Speed disadvantage), Crush Claw is actually an obnoxiously good Normal attack to have... the main things Tornadus has other than Speed is Knock Off/Dark coverage generally, and a perfectly accurate Rock attack in Smack Down. (Where Braviary's Rock Tomb is only 95% accurate) Status moves-wise, Braviary can do basically anything Tornadus can do that's actually useful -yay for Embargo, Agility, and Role Play on Tornadus?- and in particular its access to Roost can give it more longevity while still having Defiant. (Tornadus-Therian beats it for longevity, but doesn't have Defiant)

Empoleon is actually very noteworthy as a potential Defiant 'mon. In Standard it doesn't run Physical because of things like lacking a good Physical Steel STAB. Here, it can run Metal Claw just fine, its small number of Flying moves like Pluck is actually relevant, Shadow Claw matters... and it has Swords Dance anyway. The main thing it loses running Physical is Scald's Burn chance, and that's an acceptable loss.

I also dunno why you'd note Tornadus but not Thundurus as a potential Defiant choice.

Primeape has a ridiculous Physical movepool. Just being able to run Bulldoze and/or Rock Tomb goes a long way to making up for its lackluster Speed tier, too, making it difficult for a switch-in to actually outspeed it. I will admit it's still flawed, but it has more potential than in Standard.

Purugly's Physical movepool isn't ideal, but it's got options, including STAB 100 BP Covet. Its Speed tier of 112 is also excellent in conjunction with U-Turn and Defiant, as it has a lot of room to take a swipe and then U-Turn on whatever switched in if it doesn't want to stay in, which is especially nice in conjunction with its access to Knock Off allowing it to smack Scarfers and U-Turn out of them anyway because they've lost their Scarf.

Farfetch'd is Farfetch'd. I'm skipping it.

Competitive-wise, you can't forget Meowstic-F. 104 Speed is a decent speed tier, it has Stored Power, Hidden Power let's it readily bypass its classic problems dealing with Steel types...

Gothitelle isn't necessarily bad without Shadow Tag, but it's hard to imagine choosing Competitive over Shadow Tag.

Wigglytuff... yeah OK it's flawed. Way too slow and all. Still, it's got potential, and Competitive Pokemon love punishing Intimidate.

Milotic, however, looks like probably the best Competitive user overall, with bulk, longevity through Recover, Scald...

Code:
{
        name: "Move Equality",
        ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview', 'Swagger Clause', 'Baton Pass Clause'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Salamencite', 'Metagrossite', 'Landorus', 'Mud Slap'],
            //Account for all moves affected by minimize, terrains/weathers, or two-turn moves (besides earthquake and dragon rush as they're already 100 BP)
            var forbid = ['stomp', 'steamroller', 'bodyslam', 'flyingpress', 'phantomforce', 'shadowforce'];
            if (!move.priority && !move.basePowerCallback && !move.onBasePower && move.basePower && move.category !== 'Status' && forbid.indexOf(move.id) === -1) move.basePower = 100;
                } else {
                }
            }
        }
    },
Here's the fix.

if you want this random match I accidentally made, here you go:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/perfectpokemonshowdown-moveequality-3703

(This is what happens when you don't put === instead of = and set every move to flying type LOL

This fix will work until whenever we get a priority flying move.
... you have made sure this isn't turning Acrobatics into a 100 BP move or something, yes?

Braviary has higher Attack and better bulk than Tornadus-Incarnate. Braviary's access to Pluck is also functionally a direct upgrade over Tornadus-Incarnate having to run Aerial Ace (Or run itemless Acrobatics), Braviary's access to Rock Tomb is actually relevant in Move Equality (And helps compensate for its Speed disadvantage), Crush Claw is actually an obnoxiously good Normal attack to have... the main things Tornadus has other than Speed is Knock Off/Dark coverage generally, and a perfectly accurate Rock attack in Smack Down. (Where Braviary's Rock Tomb is only 95% accurate) Status moves-wise, Braviary can do basically anything Tornadus can do that's actually useful -yay for Embargo, Agility, and Role Play on Tornadus?- and in particular its access to Roost can give it more longevity while still having Defiant. (Tornadus-Therian beats it for longevity, but doesn't have Defiant)

Empoleon is actually very noteworthy as a potential Defiant 'mon. In Standard it doesn't run Physical because of things like lacking a good Physical Steel STAB. Here, it can run Metal Claw just fine, its small number of Flying moves like Pluck is actually relevant, Shadow Claw matters... and it has Swords Dance anyway. The main thing it loses running Physical is Scald's Burn chance, and that's an acceptable loss.

I also dunno why you'd note Tornadus but not Thundurus as a potential Defiant choice.

Primeape has a ridiculous Physical movepool. Just being able to run Bulldoze and/or Rock Tomb goes a long way to making up for its lackluster Speed tier, too, making it difficult for a switch-in to actually outspeed it. I will admit it's still flawed, but it has more potential than in Standard.

Purugly's Physical movepool isn't ideal, but it's got options, including STAB 100 BP Covet. Its Speed tier of 112 is also excellent in conjunction with U-Turn and Defiant, as it has a lot of room to take a swipe and then U-Turn on whatever switched in if it doesn't want to stay in, which is especially nice in conjunction with its access to Knock Off allowing it to smack Scarfers and U-Turn out of them anyway because they've lost their Scarf.

Competitive-wise, you can't forget Meowstic-F. 104 Speed is a decent speed tier, it has Stored Power, Hidden Power let's it readily bypass its classic problems dealing with Steel types...

Gothitelle isn't necessarily bad without Shadow Tag, but it's hard to imagine choosing Competitive over Shadow Tag.

Wigglytuff... yeah OK it's flawed. Way too slow and all. Still, it's got potential, and Competitive Pokemon love punishing Intimidate.

Milotic, however, looks like probably the best Competitive user overall, with bulk, longevity through Recover, Scald...

... you have made sure this isn't turning Acrobatics into a 100 BP move or something, yes?
Talonflame used Aerial Ace!
The opposing Talonflame lost 72% of its health!

The opposing Talonflame used Acrobatics!
Talonflame lost 42.1% of its health!
The opposing Talonflame lost some of its HP!

tldr I believe it's fine

Martin

OML I forgot so much with these... RIP me.

Anyway, until it is patched onto the other severs, play the meta at www.perfectpokemonshowdown.com

On a side note, Golurk is really difficult to switch in on. Ghost/Ground is really good offensive typing, and Shadow Punch takes a huge chunk out of anything which doesn't resist it. For example, CB Golurk OHKOs Keldeo 100% of the time, and Talonflame dies to Lefties/AV variants after 1 round of LO recoil most of the time.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post

As Void Chrono requested, here is the 1v1 version of Move Equality

Code:
    {
        name: "Move Equality 1v1",
                } else {
                }
            }
        }
        validateTeam: function (team, format) {
            if (team.length > 3) return ['You may only bring up to three Pokémon.'];
        },
        onBegin: function () {
            this.p1.pokemon = this.p1.pokemon.slice(0, 1);
            this.p1.pokemonLeft = this.p1.pokemon.length;
            this.p2.pokemon = this.p2.pokemon.slice(0, 1);
            this.p2.pokemonLeft = this.p2.pokemon.length;
        }
    },

Martin

Okay. I've played a few more games and I am officially quickbanning Keldeo. Its combination of great power, great movepool, great typing and good all-around stats make it too much for the metagame to handle, and as a result I am quickbanning it in the interest of the meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)