SM OU Mr. Sandman - A try to build a sand team

Introduction

Disclaimer: I'm italian and my english is not perfect, so there could be errors in the text even if I will check a hundred times. Please be gentle.

Hi guys, I wanted to present you my try to build an effective Sand team. The initial idea was to have as much Sand Force users as possible to max the damage potential, but during the teambuilding session i noticed that would leave so much opening for the enemy teams to destroy me and changed my mind, trying to build something more balanced. I've played a lot with it, but I see it's still lacking something that I can't identify (I'm not that much of an expert player), so I'm here for some suggestions.

Team Members

Happy (Hippowdon) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off
Hippowdon is 90% of the time my lead, so I can setup sandstorm and stealth rock. I run him with toxic and slack off to eventually stall enemy walls, and earthquake just for something to do damage with in case of being taunted (the damage are pretty good for no investments in attack). He's my physical wall and I always try to keep him alive because he's much more consistent to setup sandstorm than Tyranitar. I chose to give him rocky helmet in place of leftovers to punish a little my opponent, and because the recovery with slack off it's pretty good anyway.

Mantis (Garchomp-Mega) (F) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
This thing hits like a truck! We all know that Garchomp and his mega form have a lot of attack, but ensure you that I will never have expected that much damage even without swords dance. The ability acquired with mega form, sand force, boost the power of earthquake by 33%, skyrocketing his damage even without need to setup. Usually I switch him second after Hippowdon has setted up stealth rocks, and try to take advantage of the sandstorm while it still persist. Initially I had dragon claw, not fire fang, but i noticed that some steel types like Celesteela could completely wall him. Poison Jab is there for grass and fairy types.
So, if you can handle him well, he's capable of sweeping an entire team alone. Just be aware that in mega form he loses 22 speed, going down to 311 and leaving the possibility to someone he first outsped to be faster.

Fidget (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Excadrill becomes super-duper-fast with sand up, so he's good to do some late game clear or just go for a straight one shot in the early game thanks to adamant nature and life orb. The set is pretty self explanatory and standard for an Excadrill: pure raw damage. In the end, even if stealth rocks don't do too much to a team full of ground and steel types, and toxic spikes are less effectives, i decided to give him rapid spin just to don't be annoyed by those moves.

Blobbs (Gastrodon-East) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
Gastrodon is somewhat my special wall but mostly is my absolute water resist. With storm drain he can come in to a water-type attack and than retaliate with a +1 move that will hurt a lot due to max special attack and modest nature. Earth power is just STAB, but for the water-type STAB I chose scald on top the other things for the burn chance and the possibility to take more hit with everyone. Ice beam and sludge wave are just there for coverage and the assault vest. Before this set I was using a special defense oriented set with recover and the wiki berry, but I noticed that it gave me less impact because a good physical wall can totally block me, so I switched to this variant.

Beep Boop (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Pretty basical Magnezone set here, basically there to lure in and trap steel types and oneshot 'em with specs HP fire. I chose him because I felt like Ferrothorns were A LOT annoying to some of my pokemons, so this is my counter to them. Works really well even with Scizor, Magearna and Celesteela. On top of an other offensive move i chose double electric-type move with volt switch to gain momentum when I have the possibility.

Period (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
I'm a lot confused about this Tyranitar in my team: I feel like I need him for the sand stream, but I don't know how to play him and which set use. This one should be pretty good for wallbreaking, but in most cases it's difficult to setup and opponents can always counter him with some pokémon. So i'm undecided if keeping him in the team or switching for someone else, but I feel like just one sand setter it's not enough, so I'm more for the first option. But I'm open to suggestion in changes for the set.

Conclusion

I feel pretty good playing with the team, but like I said in the explanations I have a lot of doubts on some of the sets and I don't know if I must keep or switch some of the members (probably because my skills as a player are not that good and at high level). So I'm open to any suggestion for making my team better and maybe reaching a high level in the ladder before everything reset after the new generation comes out.

Team importable

Happy (Hippowdon) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Fidget (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Blobbs (Gastrodon-East) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Beep Boop (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Period (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Cool sand team you made dude! I liked it but as you stated that the team really need some improvements. I ain't no expert team builder but I will try my best to help you :) So here are the changes-

:hippowdon: The set below will ensures that Hippowdon will avoid getting OHKOed by Tapu Koko's Twinkle Tackle after a Calm Mind, while also dodging a 2HKO from unboosted Tapu Lele's Moonblast, offensive Tornadus-T's Hurricane, and Modest Magnezone's Flash Cannon while having enough physical bulk to tank an Earthquake from +2 Adamant Landorus-T and Return from +2 Mega Pinsir. Smooth rock is used to maximize sand turn and whirlwind is used to phaze setup sweepers because you won't be staying in with hippo after setting sand to use toxic anyway.
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

:garchomp mega:->:charizard mega-y: Since your team is wayyy weak to grass pokemon, you could use charizard Y instead because it synergies very well with sand. It takes care of bulky steel types and grass types and even make water type moves weak due to sun. Here is the set-
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
Flamethrower is generally preferred STAB attack but Fire blast OHKO tapu lele and landorus-t most of the time which flamethrower doesn't.

:excadrill: Life orb 3 attacks-> SD Steelium Z. Since you don't have a Z move user, you could use it on Drill. You don't need rock slide because you have charizard now which takes care of celesteela, skarmory and zapdos. Here is the set-
Excadrill @ Steelium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
Jolly nature allows Excadrill to outpace Choice Scarf Greninja in sand, Speed tie with opposing Excadrill, and outspeed the likes of Timid Heatran, neutral-natured Kyurem-B, and Modest Hydreigon outside of sand. Though if you want more power, you could adamant too.

:gastrodon: Its totally up to you to use a sp.def gastrodon or the one you using now. But keep in mind that you are very weak to ash-gren, and gastrodon has no form of recovery. I think you should use sp.def set if you include charizard on the team. Here is the set for it as well-
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake
Earthquake is used instead of earth power to hit AV magearna for more damage.

:magnezone:->:tapu koko: Your team is just too slow outside of sand, so I added koko instead of magnezon. Charizard takes care of bulky steel types and speed control is very necessary to have in a team. You could use the specs koko set but if you use charizard, I think using the defog pivot set is much better. Double defog( rapid spin in this case ) is always good with Zards. The sets are below-
Tapu Koko@ Choice specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
I think the EVs helps it to take a hydo pump from ash gren.
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

:tyranitar: Dragon dance set-> Choice band. Dragon dance is generally a good set for mega t tar because of his extra speed stat. You could use a choice band set to wallbreak and then use drill to clean late game. The good thing is that drill and t tar synergies well together along with charizard.
Smooth rock is not used as an item on t tar because hippo already holds one and choice band's added power helps a lot vs bulky walls. Again, here is the set-
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake/ Fire Punch
Both EQ and FP are good coverage options, use what you like. The bulk investment allows Tyranitar to always avoid being OHKOed by a +1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona from full HP. It also guarantees that Moonblast from Choice Specs Tapu Lele will never OHKO Tyranitar. Maximum EVs in Attack and an Adamant nature to give Tyranitar the most potential to break through the opponent's team. The Speed investment allows Tyranitar to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile.

The team after the changes-
:Hippowdon::Charizard mega y::excadrill::tapu koko::gastrodon::tyranitar:

Hope you like the team. Again, I am no expert team builder but I did my best to improve your team, Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Can't believe my team got more likes than my own RMT even after I made the team in like... 10 minutes or so. Thanks everyone :)
P.S. -- I also added the new team's paste just in case you wanna try it out :)

Last edited:
Why would you run double weather though?
Double weather has the nice perk of being able to end the primary weather, in this case sand, early, so it can be refreshed more quickly. In other words, you don't need to wait for sand to run out naturally to put it back up. And even disregarding weather, Zard Y really likes being paired with Tyranitar, because Tar can trap the Latis.

Cool sand team you made dude! I liked it but as you stated that the team really need some improvements. I ain't no expert team builder but I will try my best to help you :) So here are the changes-

:hippowdon: The set below will ensures that Hippowdon will avoid getting OHKOed by Tapu Koko's Twinkle Tackle after a Calm Mind, while also dodging a 2HKO from unboosted Tapu Lele's Moonblast, offensive Tornadus-T's Hurricane, and Modest Magnezone's Flash Cannon while having enough physical bulk to tank an Earthquake from +2 Adamant Landorus-T and Return from +2 Mega Pinsir. Smooth rock is used to maximize sand turn and whirlwind is used to phaze setup sweepers because you won't be staying in with hippo after setting sand to use toxic anyway.
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

:garchomp mega:->:charizard mega-y: Since your team is wayyy weak to grass pokemon, you could use charizard Y instead because it synergies very well with sand. It takes care of bulky steel types and grass types and even make water type moves weak due to sun. Here is the set-
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
Flamethrower is generally preferred STAB attack but Fire blast OHKO tapu lele and landorus-t most of the time which flamethrower doesn't.

:excadrill: Life orb 3 attacks-> SD Steelium Z. Since you don't have a Z move user, you could use it on Drill. You don't need rock slide because you have charizard now which takes care of celesteela, skarmory and zapdos. Here is the set-
Excadrill @ Steelium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
Jolly nature allows Excadrill to outpace Choice Scarf Greninja in sand, Speed tie with opposing Excadrill, and outspeed the likes of Timid Heatran, neutral-natured Kyurem-B, and Modest Hydreigon outside of sand. Though if you want more power, you could adamant too.

:gastrodon: Its totally up to you to use a sp.def gastrodon or the one you using now. But keep in mind that you are very weak to ash-gren, and gastrodon has no form of recovery. I think you should use sp.def set if you include charizard on the team. Here is the set for it as well-
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake
Earthquake is used instead of earth power to hit AV magearna for more damage.

:magnezone:->:tapu koko: Your team is just too slow outside of sand, so I added koko instead of magnezon. Charizard takes care of bulky steel types and speed control is very necessary to have in a team. You could use the specs koko set but if you use charizard, I think using the defog pivot set is much better. Double defog( rapid spin in this case ) is always good with Zards. The sets are below-
Tapu Koko@ Choice specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
I think the EVs helps it to take a hydo pump from ash gren.
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

:tyranitar: Dragon dance set-> Choice band. Dragon dance is generally a good set for mega t tar because of his extra speed stat. You could use a choice band set to wallbreak and then use drill to clean late game. The good thing is that drill and t tar synergies well together along with charizard.
Smooth rock is not used as an item on t tar because hippo already holds one and choice band's added power helps a lot vs bulky walls. Again, here is the set-
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake/ Fire Punch
Both EQ and FP are good coverage options, use what you like. The bulk investment allows Tyranitar to always avoid being OHKOed by a +1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona from full HP. It also guarantees that Moonblast from Choice Specs Tapu Lele will never OHKO Tyranitar. Maximum EVs in Attack and an Adamant nature to give Tyranitar the most potential to break through the opponent's team. The Speed investment allows Tyranitar to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile.

The team after the changes-
:Hippowdon::Charizard mega y::excadrill::tapu koko::gastrodon::tyranitar:

Hope you like the team. Again, I am no expert team builder but I did my best to improve your team, Enjoy :)
These are all valid changes, but you're just changing a pure sand team to a dual-weather team (one barely viable playstyle to a very viable one) and I don't really think that that's what a rate is all about. That being said let me submit some changes regarding a pure sand team.

1. :Hippowdon: purely physically defensive -> mixed defensive + Rocky Helmet -> Leftovers
So I'm not really versed on Hippowdon, but my instinct tells me that special bulk might really be worth having in order to relieve some pressure off of Gastrodon, as the team needs it defensively. Hippowdon has enough physical bulk regardless of its spread. Also, I figured that Rocky Helmet is a bit redundant on it, as it already beats the tier's premiere Rapid Spin user, Excadrill. The team already has Garchomp, a very good natural roadblock to Volt-Turn, so I think Leftovers are better used here.

Happy (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

2. :Garchomp-Mega: Poison Jab -> Stone Edge
Having Poison Jab to hit Fairy types like Tapu Bulu which love to come in on it is very novel, but as Sand Force boosts Ground, Steel, and Rock type moves, Stone Edge is an amazing tag choice to crush for example Tornadus-T and Zapdos. Poison Jab just renders you without befitting coverage most of the time.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

3. :Excadrill: Life Orb -> Steelium Z + Adamant -> Jolly + Rock Slide -> Swords Dance
While Life Orb is a viable item on Excadrill, your team has no Z-Move user. And although I'm not an advocate of team's needing a Z-Move in order to be viable, they don't, Excadrill is the perfect candidate for the job. Steelium Z lets you OHKO threats such as Landorus-T after Swords Dance and Intimdate for example. While Excadrill's Speed Tier is remarkable in sand, it kind of needs a Jolly nature to be so, as it gets outsped by Scarfers such as Weavile, Serperior, and Greninja otherwise. It also struggles to revenge kill a lot of stuff Jolly has no troubles with. The final change would be changing Rock Slide to Swords Dance, as that'd make the Z-Move a lot more potent, as stated before regarding Landorus-T.

Fidget (Excadrill) (M) @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

4. :Gastrodon: Assault Vest -> Leftovers + different EV spread and move switch-up
Assault Vest prevents Gastrodon from recovering off damage, significantly reducing its sticking power, which isn't something you want on a bulky Pokemon, it also severely reduces its effectiveness against Ash-Greninja. Water + Ground is sufficient coverage and Recover is necessary. Whether you want Toxic or Ice Beam is up to you.

Blobbs (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

5. :Magnezone: Choice Specs -> Choice Scarf + more offensive EV spread
Choice Specs Magnezone is a great addition to teams that already handle Kartana especially well, which this team does not. Choice Scarf Timid Magnezone is capable of outspeeding non-Choice Scarf Kartana.

Beep Boop (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

6. :Tyranitar: Leftovers -> Focus Sash + different EV spread + Earthquake -> Ice Beam + Dragon Dance -> Pursuit
Tyranitar is a great roadblock to this team's potential threats, such as the Latis and Blacephalon. You already have enough breaking capability and Speed Control, so Dragon Dance really isn't needed here. Earthquake isn't needed here because the team already has amazing ways to deal with Heatran. Keeping the Focus Sash intact is very realistic due to Excadrill's Rapid Spin and enables it to deal with Volcarona very gracefully. Pursuit helps it kill Latis and Blacephalon, removing them immediately. Ice Beam helps against opposing Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor.

Period (Tyranitar) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

These are all valid changes, but you're just changing a pure sand team to a dual-weather team (one barely viable playstyle to a very viable one) and I don't really think that that's what a rate is all about. That being said let me submit some changes regarding a pure sand team.

1. :Hippowdon: purely physically defensive -> mixed defensive + Rocky Helmet -> Leftovers
So I'm not really versed on Hippowdon, but my instinct tells me that special bulk might really be worth having in order to relieve some pressure off of Gastrodon, as the team needs it defensively. Hippowdon has enough physical bulk regardless of its spread. Also, I figured that Rocky Helmet is a bit redundant on it, as it already beats the tier's premiere Rapid Spin user, Excadrill. The team already has Garchomp, a very good natural roadblock to Volt-Turn, so I think Leftovers are better used here.

Happy (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

2. :Garchomp-Mega: Poison Jab -> Stone Edge
Having Poison Jab to hit Fairy types like Tapu Bulu which love to come in on it is very novel, but as Sand Force boosts Ground, Steel, and Rock type moves, Stone Edge is an amazing tag choice to crush for example Tornadus-T and Zapdos. Poison Jab just renders you without befitting coverage most of the time.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

3. :Excadrill: Life Orb -> Steelium Z + Adamant -> Jolly + Rock Slide -> Swords Dance
While Life Orb is a viable item on Excadrill, your team has no Z-Move user. And although I'm not an advocate of team's needing a Z-Move in order to be viable, they don't, Excadrill is the perfect candidate for the job. Steelium Z lets you OHKO threats such as Landorus-T after Swords Dance and Intimdate for example. While Excadrill's Speed Tier is remarkable in sand, it kind of needs a Jolly nature to be so, as it gets outsped by Scarfers such as Weavile, Serperior, and Greninja otherwise. It also struggles to revenge kill a lot of stuff Jolly has no troubles with. The final change would be changing Rock Slide to Swords Dance, as that'd make the Z-Move a lot more potent, as stated before regarding Landorus-T.

Fidget (Excadrill) (M) @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

4. :Gastrodon: Assault Vest -> Leftovers + different EV spread and move switch-up
Assault Vest prevents Gastrodon from recovering off damage, significantly reducing its sticking power, which isn't something you want on a bulky Pokemon, it also severely reduces its effectiveness against Ash-Greninja. Water + Ground is sufficient coverage and Recover is necessary. Whether you want Toxic or Ice Beam is up to you.

Blobbs (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

5. :Magnezone: Choice Specs -> Choice Scarf + more offensive EV spread
Choice Specs Magnezone is a great addition to teams that already handle Kartana especially well, which this team does not. Choice Scarf Timid Magnezone is capable of outspeeding non-Choice Scarf Kartana.

Beep Boop (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

6. :Tyranitar: Leftovers -> Focus Sash + different EV spread + Earthquake -> Ice Beam + Dragon Dance -> Pursuit
Tyranitar is a great roadblock to this team's potential threats, such as the Latis and Blacephalon. You already have enough breaking capability and Speed Control, so Dragon Dance really isn't needed here. Earthquake isn't needed here because the team already has amazing ways to deal with Heatran. Keeping the Focus Sash intact is very realistic due to Excadrill's Rapid Spin and enables it to deal with Volcarona very gracefully. Pursuit helps it kill Latis and Blacephalon, removing them immediately. Ice Beam helps against opposing Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor.

Period (Tyranitar) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
You made a cool team friend! Regarding me making the team dual weather, I as well as you know that sand is not a good play style and is completely outclassed by rain. My main reason to make the team dual weather was to patch up some weaknesses of the team and the fact that the synergy of t tar, charizard Y, and excadrill is good alone makes the team playable. As for the team rate, I already stated that I ain't no expert team builder. The perfect team doesn't exists friend, all we can do is to make a team better, which I tried to do. Forgive me if I said something wrong.

You made a cool team friend! Regarding me making the team dual weather, I as well as you know that sand is not a good play style and is completely outclassed by rain. My main reason to make the team dual weather was to patch up some weaknesses of the team and the fact that the synergy of t tar, charizard Y, and excadrill is good alone makes the team playable. As for the team rate, I already stated that I ain't no expert team builder. The perfect team doesn't exists friend, all we can do is to make a team better, which I tried to do. Forgive me if I said something wrong.
I didn't want to bonk you on the nose or anything, as I said, the team you've submitted is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)