Team MWP IV Format Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think we shouldn't make this tour a repeat of MPL with so many old gens which the level of competition and "prestige" is much higher than a Mono OM tour. That being said this tour is supposed to be fun and something different for the community from the normal team tours we have every year. Having played Stabmons in previous mwps and watching many AAA games I do think these two should not be in mwp. However, I do think a bo3 with gen 5 - gen 7 would satisfy some old gen players and make this tour much more competitive. I also think Ubers monotype should be relooked at and would be much more competitive than stabmons/aaa. Again this is only my opinion and this is my proposal.

8 tiers
SS
SS
SS
Bo3 (USM,ORAS,BW)
NatDex Monotype
NatDex Monothreat
Ubers Monotype
LC Monotype

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Regarding OMs vs Oldgens in MWP I really don't have a strong opinion besides to remove AAA and STABmons for sure. Those two tiers are a jungle to play and build while being incredibly unbalanced and its noticeably harder to just slot a tournaments player in there when a Pokemon can run any ability or 14392 moves of the same type. Whenever I looked into our AAA/STABmons channel in MWP it was just "what is going on" and watching games was mainly just "hope x Pokemon isn't y ability or z move." I think the rest of the OMs are okay with the slight exception of LC; Monothreat is fantastic, NatDex Monotype is pretty interesting and can be fun to build and play, while LC is more "standard" than AAA and STABmons but I've also heard pretty bad things about it on the other hand. Ubers Monotype could also be pretty cool given that the power level in SS seems lower than it was in SM with the lack of Z-moves, but it has the issue of not being developed at all which would make including the tier a mess. We could definitely try replacing MWP with a Oldgens tournament this time around if people feel the need though-the only problem is what the tournament will be format and slots wise since we don't want MWP to be just a "Winter MPL".

What I really wanted to touch up on with this post is that I believe 6 slots is never the way to go. Our community has so much more potential than just 6 slots and in the past, the top end of the playerbase has been so wide and 8 slots has been fantastic. Obviously it's not the same with a lot of older players quitting and moving on with life, and MPL's quality admittedly being awful, but I don't believe going with 6 slots helps with the issue of creating new potential and would only demotivate current people who enjoy playing the tournaments. A huge part of why playing team tournaments is fun is the team atmosphere-meeting and working with new people to ultimately get the ring in the end. It's why winning as a team feels so nice. I feel really strongly about keeping Monotype team tournaments 8 slots because I believe we should try to rebuild the community to this point instead of "showcasing" the best quality through 6 slots because cutting off slots makes the tournament less appealing in other ways-I personally wouldn't be as motivated for a 6 slots MPL because a lot of the team atmosphere would be less active and engaging as opposed to 8 slots where it's more likely people are going to have fun even if the games aren't the best.

I can name a few people off of the top of my head like Hyperspace12 and schwipper that should have been drafted last MPL. Aeran was a newcomer who was drafted, had a poor showing, but that's okay too. I've worked with Hyperspace12 a lot since last MPL and between then and I can say he's a great player with a high building and playing ceiling that managers somehow missed out on-Zarif even said he would have drafted him if he could redo his draft and I'm sure a lot of other managers would have as well. Aeran's poor performance was unfortunate but it could have been mainly due to nerves-I've played games with him in friendlies and he's played well for the most part and I'm confident he could pop off in a later tournament if he keeps his effort up. Who knows how many more of these people there are who have tons of potential? It's just that a lot of old players have left so we have to make room for a newer generation coming in, and we have to remember that we were all ass at this game and tier at one point in time. A lot of the active community members should try to help more people get into Monotype instead of giving up on people who flop because people have to progress to become great players in the first place-I do feel like the atmosphere towards newer players is way too harsh criticism wise at the moment and it's something we have to work on eventually if we want to progress as a community. I agree that we shouldn't cater to "1400s ladder players", but we should definitely cater to the potentially amazing players that these people can be if we help them improve and use the fun atmosphere of our team tournaments as motivation.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Quoting the important parts of what I said on Discord:

The thread to decide which OMs Monotype as a tier wants to support should not be the thread to decide which OMs Monotype is playing in major tours.

There was nothing stopping the current Monotype leadership from supporting OMs like torkool and Tyke did back in the our day so that they are developed and ready for when the time comes for a major tour. And to think they helped develop OMs during a time when they had me, a TL that actively pushed OMs out of MPL. We ran our OMs in Mono BLT to cultivate talent (torkool himself came out of Mono BLT in fact) and focused on making BLT a gateway into MPL + MWP by having those players play those tiers. I see that in the last two years, things have changed and BLT has dropped OMs entirely. Playing underdeveloped tiers is fine when there hasn't been enough time (e.g. generation start), but when you've had most of this gen to develop Mono OMs and chose not to, you can't then turn around and be surprised there are those that question whether they should be in major tours.

The fact that it's unclear which OMs are even the most "official" should say everything. It should be obvious with that just how underdeveloped the OM scene has become compared to SM when we had genuine interest from our community and happily (for me: reluctantly) included them to MWP. We're even talking about OMs like Doubles, which really should indicate just how little effort has been put into these formats.

If people play these OMs and want to play them in MWP, then that's totally cool. However, don't feel beholden to our old decisions that were made with a very different community in a very different time. Monotype should change and grow with its community. If there just isn't the same connection between Monotype and OMs like there used to be, that's regrettable but simply the way things go when people come and go.

And before I go back to being gone for 6 months, I can't not call this out when I see it:

Under scp and later me, Monotype always had a strong culture of including as many people as possible in decision making. The more inclusive you are, the more people are going to need to compromise. That's just how things are, you can't always have everything. Are you seriously threatening to quit because you can't get your way? Leadership is about compromise. How many things do you think I allowed because I knew it was what the community desperately wanted even though I didn't like it myself? I disliked OMs, so I pushed them out of MPL and compromised by creating MWP. I compromised further by keeping Monothreat in one last MPL before the shift to MWP. I gave you all of that because you gave me an old gens MPL.

Sometimes you have to stand up and not compromise, but that is not threatening to quit when the community relies upon you. That is being a leader and sharing your vision for the tier by guiding your community, talking with them, and showing them why you're right. scpinion disagreed with type bans in a time when type bans were favored by so many of even the top Monotype players and were completely removed; he and the council received so much flak for that heavily unpopular decision, and yet he and the rest of us worked endlessly to change that community opinion. Here we are 5 years later still without type bans. If you believe something is correct, it's your responsibility to convince others. It's not everyone else's responsibility to agree.

By threatening to quit like this, you force people to make the impossible decision between what they believe is right and keeping someone who, in spite of all of our differences, has been a huge boon to the community for years. Maybe they agree with you already, in which case there is no decision. But if they don't, how can they give up one of the most iconic members of Monotype for what can be considered such a minor decision? I strongly encourage you to remove this sentence and focus on actually valid arguments for or against OMs. I'm disappointed that this is what Monotype policy debates have devolved to.

And lastly, just for jokes because that was a bit heavy:

:mad:
To kind of add another piece to this, although I do agree with essentially everything in this post, I think it's also pretty important that Kev and Zap figure out what THEY want out of a tour like mwp. Like you said, monotype has a rich history of including a lot of the community in decision making and for all intents and purposes, that's a good thing. Seeing this thread though is reminding me of the bullshit scp had to deal with throughout oras in terms of giving the community a large stake in a relatively big decision and we just end up throwing turds at each other with so many differing opinions and nothing actually ends up getting done. When the community is flailing like this over and over I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for some forced stability and as fucked up as that sounds, it's better than sitting here watching everyone bitch and moan.

To kind of get back on track though, if Kev and Zap want this tour to continue to represent mono OMS then it most certainly should include them and I think they could take the time to figure out which ones make the most sense. Do I agree with the fact that the community has strayed away from oms? Absolutely, but not completely and we could still pull it off if that's what kev and zap want. It's just going to take something different than this thread to figure out what the right OMs to include are.

If they want to take a more stable and competitive approach, then yes, I think you include some more oldgens because it's not something that's uncommon across other OT's on smogon either. Pretty much every OT has another annual team tour than more or less mimics their respective PL, and no other community bitches about having another tour like that except us, which truly blows my mind. Given Eien's points about compromise though you can even take it one step further because I think even if Kev and Zap want to take a more stable approach to include old gens in mwp, you still have a couple more slots to fill. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to revert back to our old MPL format for this tour and still include threat. SS/SS/SS/SM/ORAS/BW/Filler/Threat would be a completely fine format to compromise IMO.

But again, at this point I really think it's important for our tier leaders to decide what they want to get out of this tour from now until they retire because this thread is definitely poor. A thread like this worked for mpl but it's simply just not working here, which is unfortunate, but just how it is.

Whatever the fuck happens don't have an old gen bo3 no one wants to play that shit

Ticken No where did I say you had to be a main to play the tier. It's just a wee bit difficult finding competent players willing to lol

I swear this is the last time I post in this thread but I don't understand this thought process at all. The biggest problem I have with 8 v 6 slots is just about everyone admits that the quality isn't good enough. Mushamu thought the quality was good enough for MPL and he's realized it was awful. Everyone seems to agree the quality isn't any good but refuse to make any changes at all which bewilders me. Repeating the same shit over and over isn't going to fix the quality magically. Bigger teams don't necessarily mean better team atmospheres. You can have a great atmosphere with 10 people and a worse one with 15, I can argue that a smaller team makes for a more closely knit group. These theoretical assumptions get no where but what is objective is that the quality is bad and has been for a while, and the competition is being affected for the worse due to it. You can't throw people who don't know how to swim into the deep end. There are steps you take before getting to the so called 'highest level' that players are skipping entirely.

we have to remember that we were all ass at this game and tier at one point in time
When we were ass we didn't get handouts and get drafted into the supposedly best tours on offer. We got better. Why are our two best tours the places for the new kids to prove themselves for the first time. It's fucking stupid and completely throws the whole competitive aspect that this site and these tours are ALSO about out the window. Managers draft awful players who genuinely have no idea what is going on which makes it even worse for the people that do know what's going on during the tour. You're supposed to work together in your teams yes. You shouldn't be hand holding someone who cannot see what is wrong with body slam amoonguss. So many players who get drafted aren't self sufficient in the slightest. Our community has gotten worse at the game. I don't think that is really debatable. The way you fix it is by fixing the roots. Not going directly to the top. If there is no exclusivity, there is no real reason to improve. The 8 slot quality has diminished rather alarmingly. Everyone takes an mpl or mwp spot for granted and you can see that in how the tours that are used to be about making a name for yourselves (ssnls/gens/mlt) are approached. That's not how anything works and it's certainly not how monotype will begin a new growth cycle.

There will always be people that think some undrafted ones should've been drafted. If they had proved they had what it took in some individuals they would have been. It's really that simple but they didn't and therefore weren't. The idea that someone thinks a couple people they met during a tour should've been drafted even though they had proved nothing beforehand says a lot. Maybe they were good enough to play sure, but the fact that they never proved it before is a pretty obvious reason they weren't picked and they'll probably coast into this tour because someone vouched. All this with no real results says a lot about where the community and the highest level of tournaments are currently at. Without any sort of change I can't imagine this isn't going to get better, and I know I'm not alone thinking this. Maybe 6 slots is or isn't the answer, won't know unless we try it which looks unlikely, but something has to change to keep a semblance of competitiveness in our tournaments because it's fading pretty damn quick.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I'm all for the less serious tiers cuz it's honestly pretty boring to have the exact copy pasted tournament with old gens

gotta remember that this is for fun and if you aren't having fun you're not gonna play. gotta stop this mindset of being the most "competitive" because it's honestly bullshit and most people predominantly sign up for tours like these with the intent to have fun

if the vast majority of people actually think having another mpl with old gens would be fun, then go for it. but if there are people who want variety and more interesting formats, I don't see why you would take that from them

also, monothreat hate is honestly such bullshit lmao, because outside of the in circle of the mono community literally every tour player ever has said that monothreat seems by far the most interesting tier and I'd bet that some new tour players and old tour players would sign up to play it. gotta wake up and smell the coffee that some people genuinely find it interesting and competitive, and fitting in the standard metric of being "official" or an old gen is pointless

I personally wouldn't sign up for an exact repeat of mpl. mpl was enjoyable but it's still fresh in my mind due to how recent it was. I'm only one guy, though, but I'd personally weigh the tiers based on general public interest

the same mfs that complain all day in these threads will sign up regardless of whatever tiers are in the tournament

last thing: definitely don't add mono doubles bcuz no offense to the doubles players or the 2 people that want it, but there is such a major disconnect between monotype and doubles and there might not even be 10 doubles players who want to try in it

Hey, I'm just posting in support of Ticken's suggestion of switching from regular SS Monothreat to National Dex Monothreat for this iteration of MWP. I played Nat. Dex Threat in NDMPL and there's actually a lot of fun options to explore with the extra Pokemon and Z-Moves being available to you. It'd be great if the hosts could start the regular season with types that didn't feature in NDMPL as well, so that we have a chance to explore as many types as possible. :pimp:

As for the other slots, I admittedly don't really care, though I'd recommend going with whatever people are most interested in. Maybe try and determine whether there's a motivated player-base that would sign up for the various options brought forward in this thread before locking any of them in. lax is almost certainly right about doubles, for example. Ultimately you're gonna need enough people to be interested in playing the formats chosen. Looking forward to the tournament!

Hi, this is my first time writing in one of these types of threads seriously and taking a step out of my comfort zone. I will try to make a pitch for Nat Dex Mono. Some of you may know me others may not, anyways, I'm an older player known as coo1313. I've been playing monotype off and on since 2014 but never really cared about battling seriously always using memes and whatnot. But after putting in an effort about 1-2 years ago at the end of gen 7 and coming back when dlc2 came out. I've come to enjoy helping bring new things along and growing in the monotype scene. I have also enjoyed the environment of finally joining team tours. I am here to pitch for National Dex Monotype because I personally believe as it stands now the National Dex Monotype room is in the process of being grown upon. The average number of players I see when I'm online is anywhere from 20 to 40 players in the room with our peak of 50 coming just a few weeks ago during one of our official room tournaments. Which is a great improvement from just a few months ago around August when there was usually only about 15 to 25 players at any given time. But I do believe we can make this an even greater amount with more exposure to the tier. Sorry for it being so short compared to other posts in here.

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As a disclaimer, the things I will be saying here are my thoughts and do not reflect the entire Forum Mod team. I will give my thoughts on every topic that was addressed in the thread thus far. I'll be frank, I'm really busy lately so if you ask me something in regards to this, I may not reply with a big answer any time soon. Still feel free to ask if there's anything, but just wanted to make it clear. Spent more time than I'd like on this, but wanted to make sure I give my thoughts on more or less everything mentioned at least once. I also apologize if its hard to read or comes off as ramble-y, wrote a lot of it in the metro.

- OM vs Oldgen
As others like lax and mushamu said, I don't want an exact repeat of MPL tiers; I have no desire for this tour being MPL (but in Winter). The essence of MWP is the OMs and I do believe that needs to be maintained to some extent. When the original thread was made, I was the one that indicated that OM priority should be highlighted in the rules. However, reflecting on it and reading the thread, it is true that there is a big disparity in quality of player pool and interest, and just general quality of many of the OMs. The scene just isn't the same as it was during the first MWPs, when a lot of our top players were actively playing he OMs and there was a lot of dedication in building and maintaining the resources. In their defence, they were the biggest victims of the constant changing nature of SS because of DLCs. There was just never time for those interested in them to properly handle them because they changed a lot. The lack of good options for OMs does give me some openness towards including oldgens in some capacity. However, I should stress that I do believe in OMs having their place in the scene, and that they should and could regain a spot once they are developed more. This thread has shown some good dedication for these metagames, I'd like to see that actually channeled into their development. With decently structured metagames, I'd be much more open to give them individual tournaments and maybe even an OM exclusive team tour to test their viability.

- LGPE, NFE, etc...

As a guideline, if a tier is not supported in the OM mega thread, I don't wanna see them mentioned here. There is a 0% chance I'm going to seriously consider a metagame that was not tested and has no resources. If people are interested in OMs besides the ones listed, I'd suggest reaching out to those in charge of the mega thread to get them kickstarted. MWP is one of our biggest events and shouldn't be used as a playground to try new things.

- AAA & STAB

Think this is pretty much a given consensus within the community that both these metas just weren't great last time. The nature of these tiers, AAA in particularly, simply make it too easy to customize Pokemon to shut down certain types without real responses. I can remember so many different matches from last year where the player basically had no options from preview. An even more telling thing is that Sae, one of the best performing players in STAB last season, supported removing them from what I've heard. If even the experts in the tiers think its uncompetitive, is there really much more to say. I do not have any intentions on supporting their inclusion; they would need a severe revamp in tiering to be considered.

- Doubles, Ubers, Tier Shift

Similarly to the first point, these metagames just aren't as developed. While some do have resources in the mega thread, none of these have had a serious tour apperance in SS to support their viability and interest. Ubers used to be a part of MWP and was removed because people complained about it much like they are about AAA & STAB now. While as for Doubles, just read this from the OM Mega Thread for yourselves:

The bottom line is, these metagames just don't have the support and history to be included. I know some people have mentioned that players from the respective communities could be interested and fill in slots such as for Doubles for example, but honestly I don't care about that. It's great to have more people be exposed to the tier and community don't get me wrong, but the objective of our major tours are to cater to our community and not to others. If a slot is being included with the premise that people whose only involvement in Monotype is going to be playing it in the tour and leaving, then there is no point of having it. What good does this bring to the people the tournament is supposed to be for? We should be prioritizing what the members of our community are interested in, would enjoy playing and watching, and most importantly, would actually want to play. I find it fun to have more people from outside be interested and to join, but it shouldn't be done at the total detriment of our own; there needs to be a good balance.

- 6 slots

I defended 8 slots during the MPL thread, and I again think MWP should be 8 slots - but at a condition. The concerns raised by Chaitanya are absolutely valid. I'm sure plenty of people are gonna go "why is the guy that went 0-7 talking about how other people shouldn't have been in the tour", and if you wanna have that mentality go for it. However, the matter of the fact is that the bar to be drafted is too low. I've literally seen people ask "who is this guy?" about someone on the MPL winning team when someone linked a battle in a discord. That to me is incredibly concerning. The fact that people don't even know the people that won because they made it in and out of the tournament without making any mark (no disrespect). These tournaments are supposed to be enjoyed by the community, but they should also be highlighting the best of it and be a pinnacle new players should aim to achieve. As it stands right now, there clearly is a surplus in funds, or a poor distribution of them, such that way too players who haven't made any impacts outside the tournament get picked. You shouldn't be able to be drafted just by being somewhat noticeable and talking to the right person. Of course, sometimes there are super rookies that blast through the scene after being drafted under the radar and that's perfectly fine. The issue is there isn't as many of those as there are people drafting multiple "I played with him and he had potential" players that leave the tour with no change in recognition. To reference mushamu's post:

l. Aeran's poor performance was unfortunate but it could have been mainly due to nerves-I've played games with him in friendlies and he's played well for the most part and I'm confident he could pop off in a later tournament if he keeps his effort up.
Perhaps those nerves were a result of him not being ready for the big stage and being pushed in too early. I quite like Aeran and hope to see him develop more and prove people wrong, so don't take this as an insult. It's just simply the fact that people are being put in the spotlight too easily and before they are ready. You are confident he could pop off in a later tournament if he keeps his effort up, as am I, but the big stage should be about those that have popped off or that can, not those that could.

I've worked with Hyperspace12 a lot since last MPL and between then and I can say he's a great player with a high building and playing ceiling that managers somehow missed out on-Zarif even said he would have drafted him if he could redo his draft and I'm sure a lot of other managers would have as well.
Again, I really like Hyperspace12 and look forward to his definite debut in this upcoming tour. However, in regards to MPL, managers didn't somehow miss out on him, he simply didn't have a track record or reputation to catch anyone's eye enough. I commend his excellent efforts of getting his name out there, and improving by working with you (after MPL as you said) after going undrafted because that is exactly what it should be about. If we give away spots to every single person that has great potential, they are simply going to stop growing in most cases. There's multiple examples of this happening, people become complacent if they've already entered the inner circle. In many cases, once you get drafted to a big tour, you are pretty much set for all the following ones. A lot of people just stop trying as hard because there's no need to impress anyone, you are secure. Letting everyone in doesn't foster potential, it dampens it.

Despite this, I am still not entirely convinced about making MWP 6 slots. I believe that the tournament can provide a good enough diversity of metagames that there shouldn't be such a disparity in playing ability. Moreover, as was my main focus in the MPL thread, I focus on the importance of community. It just doesn't feel write to scale down the stature of our main stage and shut out more of the community. While less slots can give new players more chances to have something to aspire towards, it also limits their chances in because the same old people already in the inner circle are gonna be bought every time. I'm just not sure 6 slots is the perfect approach, as Ticken mentioned I'd personally be more interested in trying 6 teams possibly with a format like the one suggested by Azelea in the MPL thread.

As Eien pointed out, for the sake of compromise, I would definitely like to try a 6 slot format or some other alternative. Personally, I'd prefer that we replace MWC (Monotype World Cup) by something of that nature. I don't think it's a tour too strongly beloved by anyone and hasn't always been a fixture anyways. It'd be interesting to use its slot as an opportunity to test out different things. The only issues I could see come out of that are potential lack of interest of doing yet another draft style tour with similar metagames in the year.

- LC

I haven't really played it in SS, so I can't really say much about it. I don't think it was too bad in MWP after Grookey was banned at least. I've seen very varying reviews on the metagame, with some saying its solid and should be included, while others thinking its a trainwreck. Would like to hear more arguments on both sides before making my decision on this one.

- Natdex

People have mentioned Natdex having "so much representation already", so I'll answer here what I did on discord. The tournaments hosted by Monotype Natdex have nothing to do with the stuff we host here. My Forum Mod team has no jurisdiction on what happens in Monotype Natdex PL nor in Natdex PL, so those are irrelevant to representation in the context of the Monotype forums. We wouldn't remove ORAS from a tournament just because its in ORAS PL, and we wouldn't remove LC despite it appearing in a bunch of LC community discord tours. Others use the fact that "they have their own community" as a reason to exclude them. My personal stance on this is that them having built a community is an even greater reason for them to be included. They have clearly proven they have a dedicated player base and that their metagame is competitive. While Monotype Natdex has definitely grown into its own entity due to the efforts of those working on it, and simply the nature of the tier, it still remains as an Monotype OM. In a tournament, which I believe should give a platform to OMs, this definitely has a place. The main thing that could convince me to remove it would be if its slot is shared with Monothreat as Natdex Monothreat, but I'm not really opposed to giving them separate ones.

- Monothreat

I believe people were too harsh on Chaitanya's post about Monothreat because while extreme, the concerns he raised are valid. As the person who has played the most official threat matches in the community, I definitely know what I am talking about. While you don't need to be a "mainer" or have prior experience with threat to have success, it is true that it does make a difference. Take for example MWP1 where mael, fresh off his OST win (I believe) was playing Monothreat. His season start was very bad, as his builder ima was not familiar with threat and was providing unviable teams. His builds were getting beatdown by some common threat sets because he was not being prepped for them adequately. Later in the season, he started getting support from Zukushiku and he started doing great. This clearly shows that there is a distinction between knowing the metagame and being dedicated to perform in it, and not. Even a great player can flop if they aren't ready for the nature of it. However, that was the case of SM Monothreat. SS is relatively new and changing, so I don't think that learning curve really exists as much. If the manager is buying someone that is invested in doing well in the slot, there really shouldn't be any issue. The rules of threat are straightforward, and its relatively easy to pick up at the stage it's at currently. As for his point about testing, that is also fair. As someone that likes to really test out my ideas, it is definitely a hassle because your options are limited. Also, if you show someone a tech they may end up liking it and using it for themselves (I do this often tbh). Therefore, you are sometimes in the situation where you need to play first before someone else does because they might use your tech and then you need to change your team. This happened in a week of mwp iirc, where two of us used the same tech and then the third guy got screwed because it was obvious by then. However, most Monothreat games aren't purely about secret techs, but do come down to superior play and building. Also, anyone that says threat is 100% mu free has a lack of understanding of it.

As for my stance on Monothreat in a tour, I will 100% back its inclusion. Obviously, I have my personal bias for the metagame but I don't consider myself as a person that would be blinded by that. I don't really hold any stakes since I do not plan on playing in MWP because of how busy I am lately, and if I did it probably wouldn't be threat because of the investment it requires. I support it being included because it is without a doubt Monotype's most popular OM, it has proven to be competitive many times, has players interested in playing it and is generally a pretty enjoyable a format to watch. It can be exciting to see what fresh ideas people pull out. Now whether I support it being Natdex Monothreat is a whole other topic, that I'll address in the next point.

- Natdex Monothreat

Personally, I'm kinda put off the idea of including an OM of an OM. Natdex Monothreat is an OM of Monothreat or of National Dex Monotype, not of Monotype. We should be including metagames directly related to us and that are supported by us. Moreover, why does Monothreat get the special treatment to have Natdex stacked on top of it to remedy potential issues, while other metagames aren't extended that opportunity? However, it's not really a big issue since it's a simple quality fix, so I wouldn't really oppose it greatly. If that is the consensus I see from the prospective player pool, and what other people want, it's not a big deal. As mentioned before, I don't plan on being in the player pool so I don't really have a personal connection to the issue. However, if that change is being made then I stress that also means all official appearances and developments of Monothreat need to be done in a Natdex setting because it would be the main version. MWP is supposed to highlight and include the official version of monothreat, and not the niche one. Also, I'm not too fond of Natdex having two whole slots in the tournament.

- BDSP

The games aren't expected to be transferrable until some point next year, so it's safe to say we can proceed with SS as is. I haven't really thought of the logistics of the type distribution, but BDSP Monotype (aka DPP upgraded for current mechanics like Fairy types, moves, ...) is the only exception to the undeveloped tiers rules I set earlier. It's the only volatile format I'd be willing to consider giving a slot to. However, it's not really a serious consideration, just a "this could be fun...but probably not".

- Retains

Metagames change, retains make no sense. There is no legacies built as well, it messes up the money distribution leading to more buys and its just a hassle. No retains.

Finally, my current formats in no particular order, although possibly subject to change after writing out my thoughts:

Version 1:
- SS
- SS
- SS / SS Bo3
- SM
- ORAS
- BW
- Monothreat / Natdex Monothreat
- Natdex Monotype

Version 2:
- SS
- SS
- SS
- SS
- Oldgen Bo3 (SM/ORAS/BW)
- LC
- Natdex Monotype

Version 3:
- SS
- SS
- SS Bo3
- LC / Oldgen Bo3
- Natdex Monotype

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
There will always be people that think some undrafted ones should've been drafted. If they had proved they had what it took in some individuals they would have been. It's really that simple but they didn't and therefore weren't. The idea that someone thinks a couple people they met during a tour should've been drafted even though they had proved nothing beforehand says a lot. Maybe they were good enough to play sure, but the fact that they never proved it before is a pretty obvious reason they weren't picked and they'll probably coast into this tour because someone vouched. All this with no real results says a lot about where the community and the highest level of tournaments are currently at. Without any sort of change I can't imagine this isn't going to get better, and I know I'm not alone thinking this. Maybe 6 slots is or isn't the answer, won't know unless we try it which looks unlikely, but something has to change to keep a semblance of competitiveness in our tournaments because it's fading pretty damn quick.
I'm glad we agree that the competitiveness of our tournaments has gone down pretty badly. The main thing that's really sad about this community is that hardly anyone who plays the tier currently at a high level gives a fuck anymore, because we were all united through leagues and leagues mainly, and since then a lot of people have left which has lead to competition downscaling. Winning a tournament doesn't even feel like anything anymore. The problem is when you cut it to 6 slots and the same people get drafted over and over again; these veteran players clearly don't care as much and you're left with a stagnating community that will eventually die. The top end of the playerbase isn't trying as hard, so is there really anything to strive for when getting into Monotype as a newer player? Why should X newer player try to make a name for themself in Monotype when there's nobody, not even the top players, who feel super strongly about winning anymore? At the same time we need newer dudes who care in the community, so I don't see a problem regarding letting newer players play in our community even if they're unproven-maybe it'll make them like the tier through participation.

It's also frustrating to me and many other people when players throw or bring horrible teams. Letting unprovens start in team tournaments is not ideal, but you have to understand that the community right now is desperate. The only thing we can do is let in people who are new and let them grow by learning from their mistakes, which is why I feel strongly about MPL being community based as well. I know you're still skeptical of 8 slots but I would really like to know how else you can motivate the top end of the playerbase to try-the only thing I can think of is tournament atmosphere but I would like to hear other suggestions if you have any. I don't think "high quality games" is a valid answer because through Sabella's invitational we saw good matchups, but nobody cared about talking about them or anything like they did back then when there was real passion for this tier. For this reason I'm highly skeptical that cutting it to 6 slots in MWP/MPL will change anything regarding the passion for this tier and will only lead to its downfall, as we've already seen that "cutting it to only the best players" does not change much since you need passion for community growth to begin with. It’s also fun to watch newer faces prove themselves as well.

Otherwise, I feel like a lot of the trouble with this is giving MWP its own identity, now that the general consensus seems to be OMs shouldn't be only it. We could try out a snake draft format which basically gives tours its own identity like UUSD in comparison to UUPL etc. and have similar tiers to MPL? The other options are basically a MPL with NDM/Monothreat and a 6 slots MPL which aren't enough distinction between the two tours. The only other thing feels like experimenting with the draft format since it's hard to give it its own identity through tiers alone if we were to ditch certain OMs. I think a timeline would also be nice for when this tournament should start, as it would give more insight on the development of BDSP.

Last edited:
Here's what I think

Slots that SHOULD be included - SS, Natdex, Threat/Natdex threat
Slots that could be included - Blitz, Ghosting Slot, Poor man's, Bo3 (Slots based of SS and not really OMs so they remain competitive.)
Slots that might make sense to include - Old Gens, AAA, STAB, LC.
Slots that don't make sense to include - Tier Shift, CAP, Doubles, etc.
Slots that shouldn't be included at any cost - AG, Uber, MnM, etc.

To those people who are saying that nobody wants to play OMs guess what we ain't wanna play the same old gens we've been playing for 5 years either, having another Old Gen tour makes as much sense as having an OM tour.
The number of players should be dependent on the tiers.

SS
SS
Natdex
Natdex threat/threat
SS based slot
SS based slot

SS
SS
SS
Natdex
Natdex threat/threat
Rotating Old Gen
Rotating OM
SS Based Slot/Bo3

SS
SS
Natdex
Natdex threat/threat
AAA
LC
STAB
Gen 5
Gen 6
Gen 7

my thoughts (and prayers) after reading this thread:

-definitely do NOT add tier shift / mix and mega / blitz / CAP in case the people suggested it were somehow not joking.

-the LC slander is nonsense and the people who hate it probably dont know how to calc a roll at lvl 5. it should def be in mwp because:
>at this point it is a staple
>its an active metagame with presence in multiple LC side tours, its also a meta in constant development (recently banned scraggy and kept sticky webs) so it would be cool to see it evolve with said changes in mwp.

the point to develop these untiers is very trivial: learn to scout and build. last mwp i remember i saw a lot of complaints about lc even post grookey ban, so i decided to find out why and asked my manager to play lc in the last weeks in the tour; i did and i noticed people were just using standard stuff that didnt even cover the top types properly sometimes-- played it again in levis (twice) and noticed again there are a lot of unexplored archetypes even within the top types. i wont deny there are completely unusable types but the amount of types that are completely playable is good enough to keep it in this tour

-stabmons is very fun to watch but aaa is the worst mono om i have ever seen. however thats just my point of view, if there are people who enjoy them then they probably should be in this tour. in my ideal world we dont have old gens in mwp, because as it was stated multiple times in this thread a 3peat of mpl would be just not it.

-doubles wouldve been a cool addition but i do agree is very undeveloped right now and first few weeks of the tour would be just people abusing the brokens = unstable meta = multiple quickbans happening. every ubers match would be water vs psychic.

-idk where i stand in the 8 v 6 slots debate this time. i do still believe last mpl shouldve been 6 slots and i stand by that, the decreasing quality of our tours is undeniable. however, i dont think last mwp pool was bad in comparison to 2021 mpl, but i think thats in big part because of all of the OM and tour players that joined. i dont know the current situation about them or if they would join again this year [make a poll] (specially considering aaa and stabmons are probably getting nuked). personally i always liked and thought that the point of mwp was attracting players from other areas of the site and even if its just for one tour i dont think thats a bad thing.

if it ends up being old gens > oms then 6 slots is ideal. the logic yall are using to defend 8 slots is so flawed and after watching last mpl you should be open to try 6 slots at least once. pls pls pls stop this "i agree the quality is bad but heres another 8 slots tour" narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)