Gen 7 My best attempt to make a team with Mega Latios (help)

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello its me again with another USM OU team! I have tried to build a lot of teams around Mega Latios, but this is the only semi-successful one lol. I'm kind of here for the teambuilding process and just to get more warmed up to some Pokemon in the tier. So without further ado lets start:

So I have some trouble with teambuilding so that's why I'm putting this here
1598995699006.png

So yeah, I want to make a team around Mega Latios. For a Pokemon with great offenses, great speed, good bulk, and decent typing, its kind of hard to build around. I noticed that Latios really hates steel-types, so I decided to bring in the steel-killer, Magnezone.
1598995716019.png
1598995789276.png

With Latios being the wallbreaker, I think its time to add the win condition. If you saw my other RMT (or my profile pic!), you might suspect which one I might pick:
1598995716939.png
1598995790217.png
1598995884888.png

Volcarona pairs up well with Latios and can sweep after Latios clear the walls out of the way, and it also checks many of Mega Latios's checks.
1598995718255.png
1598995791184.png
1598995885721.png
1598996151432.png

At this point, this team is not that bulky, and both Latios and Volcarona appreciates a pivot that can get them in safely. Assult Vest Magearna fits the bill pretty well. This thing can tank special attacks aimed at Latios or Volcarona and retaliate accordingly, and can bring them in safely with Volt Switch
1598995719530.png
1598995792563.png
1598995890227.png
1598996153048.png
1598996185377.png

Every team (besides maybe HO teams) need a way to remove hazards, and I chose Tapu Fini. Fini is chosen because it can easily get rid of Ash-Greninja and can set up misty terrain, which is beneficial to both Latios and Volcarona. Misty Terrain also weakens dragon moves aimed at Latios.
1598995721502.png
1598995795996.png
1598995891456.png
1598996154475.png
1598996183249.png
1598996204234.png

Finally, it's time to consider the lead and the rocker. A lot of pokemon were considered, but in the end I chose Gliscor because of its good bulk, Poison Heal, and roost, which lets it set hazards multiple times in the game.
1598995723257.png
1598996214952.png
1598995893295.png
1598996155676.png
1598996182324.png
1598996205603.png

After playing some with this team, I realized most of the team are special attackers, and Gliscor is not strong, so I get hard walled by Chansey. I also noticed that Magnezone is mostly useless because all the steels bar Heatran gets owned by Volcarona, and Heatran gets killed by Latios or Gliscor. Furthermore, water-types are getting really annoying for this team, especially Greninja (since it can just pivot out of Fini), so I added Choice Scarf Kartana and gave Magnezone the boot.

1599001118322.png
1599001127737.png

Chicken Plane (Latios-Mega) (M) @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roost

This is the guy I'm trying to build around. Statswise, Mega Latios has got it all (at least for a Pokemon that don't want to be banned). It have amazing offenses, great speed, and good bulk. Levitate is also a nice ability to have. Psychic is for STAB, and it does a ton of damage. Earthquake and Ice Beam are for coverage. He have to watch out for Weavile and Tyranitar, though, as it can't do much of anything and they can trap it with Pursuit. Most walls in OU goes down to this guy, and it can destroy the number one wall in the tier, Toxapex. However, he get killed a lot despite his bulk, so I have to be careful when I'm playing with him.

Lawnmower (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

People use Swords Dance Z-Move Kartana, but I really need speed control for this team and Volcarona nabbed the Z-Crystal already. Besides, Kartana is still ridiculously powerful without CB or SD. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike are STABs and Sacred Sword makes great coverage, smashing Chansey into tiny bits. Knock Off does massive damage to pokemon who still have their items and also removes it, which is very helpful. Kartana can deal with all Greninja (including Ash) besides Choice Scarf ones, which is a massive pain for the rest of the team. Its high speed allows it to serve as the team's revenge killer and it is the team's answer to pokemon like Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam, Tapu Fini, and the afromentioned Greninja. His only problem is that he get insta-maimed by any special attack.

Sunrise (Volcarona) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Lets start with the fact Volcarona is amazing. With one of the best setup moves in the game in Quiver Dance, great STABs, good speed, and a great special attack. I use Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the extra power that is often needed to score the KO. I usually go with HP Ground, but in this particular team both Heatran and Toxapex are covered by other Pokemon so I used Giga Drain. It get rids of many water-types at +1, and gives Volcarona some health back to boot! In general, if two or more of Volcarona's moves achieve the same result (OHKO, 2HKO, etc.), Giga Drain takes top priority because it gives some HP back to Volcarona, then Bug Buzz, and finally Fire Blast since it might miss. I usually use Volca when all its checks are cleared (most likely by Latios or Kartana), but sometimes I come in on certain pokemon like Mega Scizor because it can OHKO and threaten them with Flame Body.

It's worth a moment to see how Latios and Volcarona works togather. First and foremost, two of the biggest counters of this game, Heatran and Toxapex, are annihilated by Latios. In return, now that Magnezone is no longer on the team, Volcarona counters steel-, dark-, and ice-types that give Latios trouble, such as Celesteela and Kyurem-B. Finally, Mega Latios can smash most walls such as Zapdos or Washtom to clear the way for Volcarona, while Volcarona can kill most of Latios' revenge killers, like Mega Scizor and Weavile.

Robot (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast

With this thing's bulk, typing, special attack, and flexibility, I'm surprised that it isn't banned. In this team, I'm using the Assult Vest set, another set that I have wanted to use but never got the opportunity to. With ridiculous special bulk after equipping the Assult Vest, Magearna is my go-to switch-in for special attacks. In addition, after it tanks an attack or two, it can pivot with Volt Switch and switch to the appropriate teammate. Finally, its a half-decent KokoLucha counter because it can switch into a predicted Volt Switch from Tapu Koko and prevent Hawlucha from coming in, but smart people will just force Magearna out and bring Hawlucha in anyway.

Lightning Stick (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 52 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Nature’s Madness
- Scald
- Taunt

So I'm not sure about Fini and is thinking about switching about switching it for someone else because Zard-Y regularly demolishes this team. Fini's role is the defogger, which she does just fine, and she can also take on fire- and dragon-types like Zard-X and Volcarona. The problem is that Zard-Y mauls it with solarbeam and scald don't do much under the sun. To be honest, she pulls her own weigh for the team. Scald is for all fire-types besides Zard-Y, nature's madness is for predicted switches, and taunt helps against things like Chansey or the Pex. Misty Surge is actually very helpful, as it protects teammates from status and it halves the power of dragon moves aimed at Latios.

Flying Scorp (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 28 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost

Finally, Gliscor is my rocker, lead, and go-to switchin for Hawlucha. Toxic Orb + Roost means that this thing gets great longevity, allowing to set rocks multiple times in the match. Earthquake is for STAB and allows it to completely anti-lead Heatran or Mega Diancie. Toxic allows it to cripple defoggers as they switch in so that Gliscor can set rocks again later in the game when the defogger is weak. I keep forgetting which pokemon have ice coverage, though, so a lot of the times I switch into a hp ice or ice beam and gets myself OHKO-ed. Joke's on them, though, as Kartana just comes in and steamroller half their team for free.

EDIT: Heres a hack that many don't know. In a lead situation against Mega Sableye, use Toxic. This ensures that if Sableye stays in, you get poisoned due to magic bounce and they can't burn you. They will most likely willy wisp only to find you have just poisoned yourself.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading this far! Now for the threatlist:

1599053256078.png
: This thing cleanly 6-0's my team as soon as Latios is even slightly weakened. Fireblast + Solarbeam in sun OHKOs or 2HKOs everything except Mega Latios. My best bet is to try to keep rocks up but if they are smart and notices my weakness to Zard-Y they can sack their defogger while they remove hazards after they weaken Latios, then bring Charizard to sweep my team.

1599054114077.png
: Opposing Volcarona is really annoying for this team, as if it has Giga Drain as its coverage move (aka my Volcarona set) the game is just over. Even if they have HP Ground or Psychic there is only Tapu Fini in the way and they just need to get rocks up to force Fini in at some point.

1599055030955.png
: Ok, this is not that dangerous as we all know, but it is really, really annoying. Its combination of Leech Seed and Flamethrower basically force seeds on one of my mons because Kartana gets incinerated by flamethrower.

This is (probably) not the complete threatlist, but I'm short on time atm so that's the best I can do rn.
Pokepaste
Thank you for reading this far! Please give some advice, that's what I'm here for!

I give a DOUBLE smiley face c:)

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Not just Charizard Y but also Charizard X threatens your entire time. I won't suggest that much change but merely one that would solve your Charizard and Volcarona problems, scarf Garchomp, replacing Kartana. Here's the set I suggest

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atl / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)