Serious My Current Living Situation

Hi guys. I'm in a bit of a self-created Gordian knot.
I am 26 years old single guy and am working at a civil/utility engineering firm in Downtown LA. I am commuting 3 hours up and back everyday from work to my parent's house. I pay rather low rent and get free meals for the most part. I come home, eat, do some exercise, play some Smash/Mons, go to sleep, and repeat it all the next day. I'm taking the professional engineering test for civil engineering in October, and hope to obtain it by March (assuming I pass). It looks like I'm in a pretty good place in my life. However, I'm not too sure how "happy" I am in my current situation.
I don't feel like I'm making the most with my time (I don't really go out much after work), and that living the repetitive cycle is too boring. I'm not getting the optimal amount of exercise (especially since I have an office job). I would like to move out in the coming years, but I have no idea to where. With my degree & experience there's no real limit to where I can go (except affordability which I hope becomes more attainable with the PE license & experience). In addition, I don't want to be doing my current job (primarily utilities engineering) for my career; I'd rather be doing structural engineering.
All in all it feels like I'm unfulfilled and have a lot of future uncertainty and that I want time to be "fast forwarded" past these current times.
Anyways, I just wanted to see if you guys had any advice.

Edit: I have some potential solutions.
-Find an exercise that I like and be consistent. I like swimming but get bored of it quickly (I think a waterproof iPod would help a lot). I would also need a gym membership for pool access. This solution is expensive, but may be the optimal solution for me.
-Get lost in a side project. I was thinking about starting up a Youtube channel and putting maximum effort into videos. Who knows; if they're good enough maybe I can get some side money.
-Travel. Since I don't have a good idea of where to live, this could help me. Not to mention the benefits of getting away for a bit.

Last edited:
Hi man,

If I can give you an advice (even if I don't known you and I don't your situation) it will be "LEAVE YOUR CONFORT BUBBLE".
For example make the first step and go talk to your co-workers !! First small talks are always akward but this is how every "human interractions" start for every one. And if you find someone that you are confortable with (man woman doens't matter) just ask them if they want to go to the bar or do something after work. Find someone that you have things in common. If you still have friends in your hometown make contact with them, ask for news !
Make things happen !!

And regarding your future, travel is always good, you meet new peoples , new places , this how you can become confident in yourself so if you have enough money I will say it's always good for someone to travel and see the world. ;)

Hope I will help you moving things :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)