SM OU My Final Lifeline (Decidueye Balance)

Yeah, it's an edgy song, but I feel like putting it here. Everyone seems to put songs in their posts when there's effort put into them, so I'll follow the trend.

Hello folks! You might know me as that random "toxic" person who's still somehow NOT hated by all the staff in Showdown, JustPrimalDialgia. I've made a lot of shit teams in my past, and a couple of good ones, but I'm honestly quite proud of this. On a classic dreary night, I took a look at my favorite starter Decidueye and thought to myself, "How could I possibly apply this to OU?" Well, turns out it serves a very nice, albeit "niche", role. One that most trappers can't even DREAM of filling! And so, I present to you, my Decidueye Balance. Also, sorry if this all looks like shit...I'm a bit new to this, y'know?

1524466104793.png

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Stall? Offense? What do those mean to Lopunny? No, seriously, this set is a fantastic as all hell counter to the two polar opposites that are the Stall and Offense playstyles, and great at taking advantage of certain mons and racking up PuPs to clean the rest of the opponent's team. Can you name something that isn't scarfed that stops this? Neither can I. The set is kinda self-explanatory, beats the living hell outta offense while keeping up the pressure on Stall, all the while taking advantage of things when they use a non-attacking move by being one of the fastest Encore users in the game that doesn't have priority. Bless this bunny.

1524466672704.png

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Also a little self-explanatory is one of the best special walls to ever befall OU, AV Magearna. A blanket check to anything that might threaten the team, ranging from a multitude of things, even a couple physical attackers! It's typing is fantastic, and being the Steel on the team it helps massively by swapping into opponents using Toxic, considering Toxic threatens three(!) pokemon here. Fleur Cannon is also wonderous, as it damages anything in the game heavily that doesn't resist. Volt Switch is also a blessing, since it can allow Magearna to swap out into Decidueye and let it trap something to kill it off, I.E. Magnezone! Can pull off some cleans under the right conditions, with no walls to stop it and nothing too powerful to harass it.

1524466853053.png

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

I gotta admit, I was a little hesitant at first to use it when someone suggested it to me. Originally, this place was taken by a Gastrodon to help with tanking special walls, but was instead replaced with this to help with the rain MU. Gotta admit, it's pretty good at that, and can prove to be very useful at certain times, though I'm still not the biggest fan of it. Although Mew can very well be the defogger of the team and help Mantine by letting it run Toxic for stuff like Pelipper, in the end I decided that Mew's Will-O-Wisp was way more important than toxic on a couple mediocre threats. Oh, it also helps alleviate the pressure off of the other two 'mons, so that's good. Again, set is self explanatory, it's the normal defensive set. What did you expect?

1524467205148.png

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Glorious Hippowdon, how I love your fat so much...really, though, this ended up being a great pick for the team when it was recommended to me by the same guy that suggested Mantine. With it's massive physical bulk, he takes almost all of the physical hits the team needs to take, and eliminates certain offensive and defensive threats alike with Earthquake and Stone Edge, I.E. Volcarona, Zapdos, Tornadus-Therian, Tapu Koko, and a couple others. Again, the classic EVs, ability, and item, but the moves are obviously a little different. Stone Edge is there in place of Whirlwind to take out previously mentioned flying, fire, and bug types that the rest of the team simply struggles with. I don't need phazing THAT bad (This might be a lie).

1524467381629.png

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp

Mew has always had a special place in my heart. From it's ability to learn almost every move in the game, to it's many appearances, to even it's adorable look, I adore this thing sometimes. I also adore it because it serves a big purpose on this team, a couple actually. Classic bulky mew EVs and item, with a...particularly interesting moveset. Ice Beam is there to hit Lando-T, Zygarde, and the rare Garchomp, along with the multitude of other mons weak to Ice. Earth Power is there in place of the usual Defog for, unsurprisingly, killing Heatran. Although it doesn't ALWAYS kill Heatran, it can chip it down to size for Mega Lopunny to take it out with a PuP or something. Soft Boiled is self-explanatory, and Will-O-Wisp halts some threats like Mega Medicham, Mega Scizor, Lando-T, Mimikyu, Mega Scizor, and other physical mons I don't feel like mentioning. Good fun, this one is.

1524467647707.png

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost

Oh yes, it's finally here. The moment you've been waiting for: A fucking Decidueye. I know, I know, "But Decidueye isn't OU therefore it's bad", and "It's just Ghostium Z Gengar but slower", but lemme explain as best as I can. Decidueye...is good. REALLY good. With great bulk and offense, dual stabs that threaten a large majority of the tier, and the best physical Ghost STAB in the game, Spirit Shackle, this is one HELL of an amazing wallbreaker. With the ability to trap and kill almost every wall in the tier, barring things with U-Turn or Volt Switch (Mega Scizor, Magnezone, Magearna), and the only normal type the tier has to offer, Chansey (Which still fears that +2 Leaf Blade), Decidueye is a hidden gem. Thanks to the same trapping power it uses to kill walls, it can also absolutely tear apart Stall by trapping certain threats, setting up on them, and picking them off with relative ease while Roosting off any chip damage applied. It's also surprising to hear that Decidueye is bulky, but thanks to it's 78/75/100 bulk, it can live some physical attacks, but most special attacks without getting 2HKO'd. It's also worth noting that unlike the two most common trappers of the tier, Magnezone and Heatran, well...Heatran can just outright miss it's Magma Storm, and doesn't have the ability to trap Lando-T sometimes, and Magnezone only traps Steels. As for going in-depth to this set entirely: Decidium Z is better than Grassium Z due to it's ability to hit many more walls than Grassium can, like Tangrowth and Bulu. Plus, it is MUCH harder to switch into if you just go fuck-all and decide to fire it off first-turn when they switch into something that "deals" with Decidueye. Overgrow's better than Long Reach because the only two things that have something contact-related are Lando-T and Tang, both of which are just immediately killed by Spirit Shackle into Sinister Arrow Raid. The EVs are the obvious max Atk, with 196 Spe to outrun Defensive Lando-T and everything slower than it, with the leftover points going into HP and the 4 in SpD being just to keep the HP odd (Because someone said making the HP odd was a good idea). Adamant for more power, since Jolly isn't that badly needed. Swords Dance for the breaking power, Leaf Blade and Spirit Shackle for powerful STABS to work with, and Roost to sustain it's HP so it doesn't get worn down before killing something. You might be asking yourself, "How does something like this kill walls, especially Lando-T?" Well...I've never used the calculator until now, but RELEVANT CALCULATIONS TIME VERSUS COMMON WALLS (And yes, I'm listing Spirit Shackle as well for any where Sinister Arrow Raid doesn't outright OHKO):

+1 252+ Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 147-174 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 330-388 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 160-189 (39.7 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 357-421 (88.5 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 501-589 (138 - 162.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Leaf Blade vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 373-441 (53.1 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 144-169 (41.9 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 321-378 (93.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 390-459 (128.7 - 151.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 451-532 (113.6 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 493-582 (125.1 - 147.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 109-130 (27.6 - 32.9%) -- 85.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 247-292 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 429-505 (121.8 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 501-589 (146 - 171.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 438-516 (120.6 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Decidueye Sinister Arrow Raid vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 462-544 (152.4 - 179.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'd put way, WAY more of some other shit Decidueye shoots down, but I think this is enough of the walls that OU has to offer that're used commonly. Only real problems here are Lando-T (Knock does a LOT), Mega Scizor (U-Turn ALSO does a lot), and Unaware Clefable (Oh I hate it so much, especially if it's Cosmic Power).

Problems to the team:

Unaware Clefable
If this is that ever-so-rare Cosmic Power set, you're done for. No toxic user means no way to take it down, and it just gets free reign to set up. Maybe you can muscle through it, but I can't.

Rain (OFC)
Every team has problems with Rain. The MU is hard, but workable thanks to most of the team being able to eliminate Mega Swampert, Ash Greninja, Ferrothorn, and Pelipper. HOWEVER, KokoLucha is a pain in the ass when stuff like Mew has already been massively chipped down, and it gets even more problematic when they have screens up. Speaking of...

KokoLucha
Am I the only one that has a hard time fighting this? Tapu Koko easily pivots out of almost every mon, and Hippowdon is the only one who can stop Koko effectively. Even if Koko is downed, Hawlucha can come in and set up on Hippowdon since it lacks Whirlwind, leaving you to just pray they have mercy on you, or RNGesus gives you a helping hand via some Stone Edge crits.

Aside from these few problems, this team does fairly well against almost everything the OU tier can throw at it. Feel free to run wild with Decidueye & friends, because my own shit skill means I can't even break past 1400. Do bring back any good replays of the team if you can somehow get them, and I'll just drop them here. I think.

Happy battling!

Edit: Replays will be posted here as I go on, gradually gaining Elo. My first game after a couple tweaks after some suggestions, things appear to be working great!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737699060
On second thought, maybe I won't give up.

Last edited:
Oh hi, Primal Dialga, nice team you got there. Make sure to remember to beat those low ladder scrubs lol.

Oh yeah Changes, here they are:
Major Changes:
1524518334459.png
Choice Scarf set over Mew

I hate to have to change a pokemon especially mew, which is your favorite, but I really think that your team needs a form of speed-control and pivoting to unlock its full potential. Choice Scarf Greninja can do all of this, while still being able to pressure the opposing team with Spikes, pivoting with U-Turn, and revenging out of control flying and fire types. Mew while awesome, is sort of expendable in this regard, because it does not have the damage output to justify using as a wall with your other walls. That being said, if you really want to use Mew, I would recommend using Choice Scarf Mew to screw with the ladder and get a couple people to rage quit.

1524518253601.png
set should be changed to a Shift Gear set

You already have a great special wall in Mantine to weather special hits and Hippowdon to deal with annoying Electric types, so there's not really a reason to run Assault Vest Magearna on this team. Your team also would like another cleaner/breaker and both Lopunny and Decidueye can provide the chip neccessary for this to sweep, while this Magearna set can also allow for Lopunny to start cleaning up.

Minor Changes:

1524518585088.png
Change Stone Edge to Whirwind
With Scarf Ninja, you no longer need Stone Edge to prevent Volcarona, and it is pretty worthless against Zapdos who will just Pressure-stall it out of pp. Whirlwind is better for both phazing and disrupting Koko-Lucha while also being able to rack up damage in tandem with Stealth Rocks and Greninja's Spikes.

Team after changes
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Spikes

Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Oh hi, Primal Dialga, nice team you got there. Make sure to remember to beat those low ladder scrubs lol.

Oh yeah Changes, here they are:
Major Changes:
View attachment 112367 Choice Scarf set over Mew

I hate to have to change a pokemon especially mew, which is your favorite, but I really think that your team needs a form of speed-control and pivoting to unlock its full potential. Choice Scarf Greninja can do all of this, while still being able to pressure the opposing team with Spikes, pivoting with U-Turn, and revenging out of control flying and fire types. Mew while awesome, is sort of expendable in this regard, because it does not have the damage output to justify using as a wall with your other walls. That being said, if you really want to use Mew, I would recommend using Choice Scarf Mew to screw with the ladder and get a couple people to rage quit.

View attachment 112361set should be changed to a Shift Gear set
You already have a great special wall in Mantine to weather special hits and Hippowdon to deal with annoying Electric types, so there's not really a reason to run Assault Vest Magearna on this team. Your team also would like another cleaner/breaker and both Lopunny and Decidueye can provide the chip neccessary for this to sweep, while this Magearna set can also allow for Lopunny to start cleaning up.

Minor Changes:
View attachment 112368 Change Stone Edge to Whirwind
With Scarf Ninja, you no longer need Stone Edge to prevent Volcarona, and it is pretty worthless against Zapdos who will just Pressure-stall it out of pp. Whirlwind is better for both phazing and disrupting Koko-Lucha while also being able to rack up damage in tandem with Stealth Rocks and Greninja's Spikes.

Team after changes
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Roost

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Spikes

Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Thank you for your suggestion, sounds to work just a bit better. Sad that I have to drop mew, but it's for an understandable cause. Hopefully I'll be able to break past 1400 by this point and get into 1500-1600, but until then it's a sad struggle of getting hax'd...again, thank you for your suggestions! Already changed the team to it :p

Hey man, really cool team you have here, actually like it a lot.
I just have a few changes to point out.

Scarf Lando over Mew: You already have some fat mons to take on hits like mag an hippo, and i think you need some kind of speed control definetly, this is one of my personal favorite scarfers tbh, i dont know its just too good, its a great lead that rarely has bad lead match ups, gives you momentum with u-turn and once you get rid of the ground immunity/resist you can look for a late game Earthquake sweep.
You can also try a scarf bulkier set to take more damage, or try an scarf explosion that can get you out of many problems.

Bolt-Beam Shift Gear Magearna over AV: Like stuuful said, you can change Mag to Shift Gear because you already have a good spdef wall on mantine to check things like greninja and stuff like that.
I like the Fairium Z set a lot but you already have the Z move on Decidueye, so you can try a calm mind set, you can use the regular bolt-beam with ice beam and thunderbolt, its a good sweeper on the majority of cases.

Good luck on the ladder with your team man, its pretty solid in my opinion, you can easily past through 1600's even 1700´s with it, you just need a bit more practice and the points start to rise themselves lol trust me.

Scarf Lando-T seems to work just a bit better than Scarf Greninja, thanks for the suggestion! And Mage was already set to Bolt-Beam after the previous guy's suggestion but thanks anyways!

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Scarf Lando-T seems to work just a bit better than Scarf Greninja, thanks for the suggestion! And Mage was already set to Bolt-Beam after the previous guy's suggestion but thanks anyways!
The previous suggestion wasn't BoltBeam. BoltBeam is Thunderbolt + Ice Beam. Dark Elegy likely meant the Calm Mind, Shift Gear, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt set.
I'd like to mention that Tapu Lele becomes nearly impossible to come into with the change from AV, so there's potential for a Mantine replacement.
I may come back with a rate of my own soon.

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Love the look of the team and its good to see you checking the RMT side of things, especially after all the help you got from the OU room. (That was me who suggested Mantine and Hippo, btw.) Just a couple of things to mention, both to you and to note for the previous changes people suggested.

Firstly, a more SpDef heavy spread of 240 HP / 40 Def / 228 SpD can be run on Mantine to sponge special hits better. This makes you weaker to psyshock, but allows you to go more offensive with Magearna as Mantine will be better fit for taking the hits.

Second, I feel that people are misinterpreting the need for Stone Edge on Hippo. Without Edge, the team is swept by Mega Pinsir, no questions asked. Sure, whirlwind will phase it out, but that doesn't stop it from coming right back in again. What I do like is the suggestion of switching out Mew for Scarf Greninja or Landorus, as that gives you a check to ZardX, Zygarde, Pinsir, etc. With the scarfer, this gives you the option of running Whirlwind on Hippo, which actually fills the role phazing out sweepers like Hawlucha and Set-Up Clefable (The two biggest threats you noted), where Mew had been necessary. Sure, you lose the Mega Medi switchin, but you can play around with having a ghost type on the team, so just predict well.

Other than that, I think the team has come a long way and hopefully it continues to be improved with these rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)