SM OU My First Attempt at a Team

So I just got into this whole competitive scene last week and I did some research. So far, I think I like teams with massive sweep potential, like weather and trick room teams. The team I made goes:

Discount TMNT (Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

My go-to opener as well as a my hazard clear. I'm pretty satisfied with this but maybe I could change the EVs a bit and replace toxic with something, since toxic is a bit slow for what this team tries to achieve. Pretty basic and not much to say here.

T-Shirt (Whimsicott) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Encore
- Taunt

My utility and counter to setup sweepers. It could also serve as an opening if I have a read on my opponent. For example, if I know my opponent opens with a stealth rock, I'll taunt first then sunny day and U-turn away for a sweeper like my Shiftry to put in work. I'm pretty happy with this one but I have no idea how to work EVs to be optimized, so advice is really handy here.

Hidden Leaf Ninja (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

My physical sweeper and my favorite mon on the team. I think the moveset is pretty standard and the EVs are pretty simple for this one too: max attack and speed with the rest dedicated to health. I was wondering if life orb was really necessary and if I could replace it with something else. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

BoneZone (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This one I is my wild card. I think I can put something else better than this on the team but I like this because it's pretty tanky and has nice resistances and posion immunity (I think it's called a pivot). It's ability also helps me bring out a Mega Charizard on steel types to be absolutely annihilated. The hidden power ice could be replaced with something but I put it in just to have something for Gliscor, which the rest of my team can't seem to have enough damage for. This one needs a lot of work and as much advice as possible would be appreciated on this guy.

Banana Monster (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Toxic

My primary tank that also benefits from the sun. Got this off of Smogon but I'm pretty happy with how this operates. Does it's job well and good at baiting for better switch-ins.

Still not a Dragon (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Special sweeper of the team. It has monstrous special attack but is really lacking in speed. I couldn't think of a faster fire-type special attack oriented mon, so this is my final decision. Honestly, it's pretty great since it counters steel types with both fire and fighting moves as well as a solar beam to destroy any incoming water types.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey bud, I'm not the best team rater around, but I'll definitely help you with your team!
Sun teams in OU aren't really that common since they're overshadowed by other teams, specifically rain teams. That being said, sun teams I find are great underdogs. Here's some changes to your team that I believe will help you. Changes to your sets are in bold.

Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
Torkoal's Special Defense is pretty hard to salvage, so it's best to maximize its Defense instead with max Defense EVs and a Bold nature, as it naturally has a great base 140 Defense. The 248 HP helps to minimize Stealth Rock damage.

T-Shirt (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Encore / Taunt
- Moonblast / Giga Drain
I know I practically changed its entire role on the team, but hear me out. Whimsicott is able to be one the most annoying Pokemon to deal if played correctly. Prankster allows it to get off all of its moves with priority, which is already a hassle to face. What really makes it is the synergy of Prankster, Leech Seed, Substitute, and Encore. Played correctly, Whimsicott can do so much damage while retaining its own HP consistently. It gets shut down by Dark-types, though, since they are immune to Prankster-effected status moves. Moonblast is a sort of last resort against them, but opting for Giga Drain allows it to get HP quicker.

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Defog
Not too much here. Leaf Blade is better than Seed Bomb, Jolly is much better nature, and Defog allows for hazard control since Charizard really needs it, but since Torkoal has Rapid Spin, you can opt for another move like Rock Slide. Sucker Punch wasn't really needed when Shiftry will already be so fast in the sun.

I'll have to agree Magnezone is pretty shaky on this team, and you don't have a Z-move user, something hard to pass on. That being said, you're team could greatly take advantage of passive healing, so I suggest to replace it with Tapu Bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
This is more of a fun set than anything. Rockium Z helps hit Pokemon your other Pokemon can't really touch. You do lose a special attacker with this change, though, so be wary. Grassy Terrain, while grants passive healing, boosts Grass-type moves' damage, which you have a lot of on this team.

Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
You mentioned how you struggled with Gliscor, and I think this set can somewhat help, as well as help as help against Landorus-T. Cresselia is tough to fit on a team that's not Trick Room, but I tried to make it work. Ice Beam is almost purely for Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Zygarde. Anything else it can stall out with Toxic and sun-boosted Moonlight. The heavy reliance on sweeping makes Lunar Dance a great option to bring your wincon back to full.

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Minor nitpick, but since Mega Charizard Y already does so much in the sun, Flamethrower I believe is a better option since Fire Blast I think is a bit overkill and has an 85% accuracy compared to Flamethrower's 100%.

That's pretty much all of it! I'm not the best battler, but hopefully these changes will help your team a lot. If you have any questions, you can always ask. Happy battling!

Importable

Hey bud, I'm not the best team rater around, but I'll definitely help you with your team!
Sun teams in OU aren't really that common since they're overshadowed by other teams, specifically rain teams. That being said, sun teams I find are great underdogs. Here's some changes to your team that I believe will help you. Changes to your sets are in bold.

Bold
Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
Torkoal's Special Defense is pretty hard to salvage, so it's best to maximize its Defense instead with max Defense EVs and a Bold nature, as it naturally has a great base 140 Defense. The 248 HP helps to minimize Stealth Rock damage.

T-Shirt (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Encore / Taunt
- Moonblast / Giga Drain
I know I practically changed its entire role on the team, but hear me out. Whimsicott is able to be one the most annoying Pokemon to deal if played correctly. Prankster allows it to get off all of its moves with priority, which is already a hassle to face. What really makes it is the synergy of Prankster, Leech Seed, Substitute, and Encore. Played correctly, Whimsicott can do so much damage while retaining its own HP consistently. It gets shut down by Dark-types, though, since they are immune to Prankster-effected status moves. Moonblast is a sort of last resort against them, but opting for Giga Drain allows it to get HP quicker.

Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Defog
Not too much here. Leaf Blade is better than Seed Bomb, Jolly is much better nature, and Defog allows for hazard control since Charizard really needs it, but since Torkoal has Rapid Spin, you can opt for another move like Rock Slide. Sucker Punch wasn't really needed when Shiftry will already be so fast in the sun.

I'll have to agree Magnezone is pretty shaky on this team, and you don't have a Z-move user, something hard to pass on. That being said, you're team could greatly take advantage of passive healing, so I suggest to replace it with Tapu Bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
This is more of a fun set than anything. Rockium Z helps hit Pokemon your other Pokemon can't really touch. You do lose a special attacker with this change, though, so be wary. Grassy Terrain, while grants passive healing, boosts Grass-type moves' damage, which you have a lot of on this team.

Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
You mentioned how you struggled with Gliscor, and I think this set can somewhat help, as well as help as help against Landorus-T. Cresselia is tough to fit on a team that's not Trick Room, but I tried to make it work. Ice Beam is almost purely for Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Zygarde. Anything else it can stall out with Toxic and sun-boosted Moonlight. The heavy reliance on sweeping makes Lunar Dance a great option to bring your wincon back to full.

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Minor nitpick, but since Mega Charizard Y already does so much in the sun, Flamethrower I believe is a better option since Fire Blast I think is a bit overkill and has an 85% accuracy compared to Flamethrower's 100%.

That's pretty much all of it! I'm not the best battler, but hopefully these changes will help your team a lot. If you have any questions, you can always ask. Happy battling!

Importable
Thanks! I'll be putting these changes to good use!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)