my first ou team

Lead
metagross lum Berry
brave nature 252 atk 252 hp 4 def
meteor mash
bullet punch
explosion
stealth rock
Ok this is my first ou team on smogon., i've recently got into competitive battling. i start off with my metagross to get stealth rock in. metagross is brave for atk and has some bulk on it 252 hp. bullet punch for momoswine and azelf. meteor mash for hippodwon and machamp. explosion just for power.

Spinner Life Orb
starmie timid 252 spatk 252 spd 4 spd
hydro pump
rapid spin
thunderbolt
icebeam
i switch out to starmie for a rapiud spin and hopefully to take down any other hazard. tstealth rock first turn then switch out to dragonite to get a dragon dance off to start sweeping. Rotom-A, the primary OU spinblocker, will be extremely reluctant to switch into Starmie, since Starmie's Life Orb-boosted Hydro Pump OHKOes offensive variants and 2HKOes defensive versions. Forgoing Recover decreases Starmie's longevity, but it may not get many chances to use Recover against offensive teams in the first place, while a successful spin can be the deciding factor in a battle.Since Hydro Pump has less-than-stellar accuracy, Starmie can instead use Surf as a reliable attack to take down Pokemon like Infernape. The extra firepower that Hydro Pump provides, however, is needed to secure several OHKOs and 2HKOs, specifically against Swampert, Scizor, Tyranitar, and 252 HP Jirachi.

Staller
Shaymin leftovers
Bold Nature
252 def 252 hp 4 spd
toxic
seedflare
substitute
leechseed

my staller to poison and get some extra damage. just to stall out the opponent toxic for bulky waters
seed flare for swamperts and hiuppodwon and bulky waters
leechseed to recover health
Shaymin is my main staller. toxic to stall out any pokemon. seed flare for bluky waters like swampert. leech seed to recover health.

Drangontie Yache berry
physical sweeper
adamant 252 atk 252 spd 252 spd
dragon dance
firepunch
earthquake
outrage
my first early sweeper that i find works alot
fire punch for scizors and roserades
Earthquake complements Dragonite's STAB almost perfectly, leaving only Levitate Bronzong and Skarmory resistant to his attacks
outrage for pure stab
d dance to sweep
next i can use dragonite to sweep with dragon dance. firepunch for scizors and roserade. earthqauke for matagross and outrage for stab.

Physical Sweeper
Gyrados expertbelt
jolly nature 252 spd 252 atk 4 def
dragon dance
earthquake
waterfall
second late game sweeper
gyradoes my late game sweeper. usually used to get a dragon dance off. waterfall for stab. stone edge for roton o togekiss and aerodactyl.
earthquake for heatran and lucario

infernape
special sweeper
naive
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
hiddenpower ice
grass not
fireblast
closecombat
special mixed ape works well
grass not for bulky waters
hd power ice for gliscor and flying types
fireblast for stab
close combat for blissey
my mixed attacker infernape is for assuarnce.
fireblast for stab. grass not for bluky waters. hidden power ice for gliscor and dragonite. close combat to ko blissey.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

Threats

• Offensive Dragonite, Gyarados
  • LO Flygon
  • Infernape (Mix/SD/NP)
  • LO Starmie
  • Bulky Waters
This is really nice team you have here although the Pokemon I mentioned above really give your team problems, along with others which present slighter threats like offensive Lucario and Metagross. If given the chance to set up which may not be that hard, all of these aforementioned Pokemon can easily cause major dents throughout the ranks of you're due to your team not having proper checks/counters or proper revenge killers to said Pokemon. The offensive Dragon dancers for example, can simply go through your team not only because of great offensive prowess and great coverage among moves, but also because you lack a reliable way of revenge killing them; I think this is the reason your team may have not been performing as effectively as you may have wanted it to. The rest of the Pokemon all fall into similar veins although their play style varies as they'll have different methods of attempting a sweep.

Solutions

• Small Pokemon set changes
  • Choice Scarf Flygon
[box]

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunderpunch
- U-turn[/box]
Before I get onto actual changes to help against the aforementioned threats, I want to suggest a couple of changes to your Pokemon's sets: firstly, you may want to opt for a different lead Metagross set, this one to be precise as performs more efficiently in the current metagame for a plethora of reason, most of which are self explanatory. Secondly, I suggest opting for a more offensive Shaymin variant as your current one more suited for a stall-ish team, while yours is quite offensive; I recommend opting for this set as it better fits your team's strategy as well as its core, while also providing your team a Pokemon to help keep up the offensive momentum it need to succeed in battles. Moving onto the major changes: I highly recommend replacing Infernape which seems quite out of place on this team, with a Choice Scarf Flygon for several reasons. First of all, it can reliably revenge kill pretty much all of the threats I have previously mentioned thanks to its great offensive prowess and great coverage among moves; secondly, it help keep up momentum (through the use of U-Turn), which as previously stated, your team needs to succeed. I hope this helped and good luck!

He should go for this and not Flygon since he's pretty weak to Lucario (although he can set up only on Shay) and Agiligross.

Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 Def
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hydropump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
He can, for the Infernape weakness, run a physical Infernape with max Speed for at least have a speed tie. Mach Punch'll help vs ScarfTar/ScarfGon too since he can spam Outrage (only Shaymin can take easily an Outrage, Gyarados take too much even with Intimidate). So, a bulky Gyarados'll be fine. He can take some hit and set up on him.

Gyarados (M) @Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance

This is a pretty solid team, so I won't be suggesting any major changes here. Aerrow has made a good suggestion; Scarf Flygon maintains the offensive momentum of your team and provides you with one of the best revenge killers in the current metagame. You don't really have a Lucario weakness considering the fact that Gyarados checks it, but you may want to consider switching to the Taunt Gyarados set, which will provide you with a bulkier sweeper that manages to perform better against Stall teams. One of the only problems I have with this team is Shaymin's set; while it looks "unique," it could be replaced with something much more effective. The standard LO Shaymin does a good job of eliminating opposing bulky Waters, but if you want something more unusual and support-oriented, you could go with Leech Seed + Protect:

[box]

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power Fire[/box]
This happens to be my personal favorite Shaymin set, and I find myself suggesting it quite often. Basically, this set takes advantage of common bulky Waters to switch in and set up with Leech Seed. With Leftovers and Protect, Shaymin will be able to keep itself at high health throughout the course of the match. Protect is especially useful for stalling out opponents for an extra turn of recovery and scouting for Choiced attacks. Seed Flare provides you with a powerful and solid STAB attack, and Hidden Power Fire hits other Grass-types, who would otherwise wall this set. One of the best things about Leech Seed + Protect Shaymin is its ability to provide team support; on an offensively-inclined team such as this one, the recovery that Leech Seed provides can be helpful in keeping your sweepers healthy.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)