VGC My first serious ORAS VGC Team

Well, this is my firt Post here, I hope Im doing it right.

I did a lot of thinking about wich Team to use and wich not. Milotic is my favorite Pokémon and I love to use it in competetive. My favourite Mega Evo is Lopunny, I was so excited when I heared that it will finally get a Mega form.

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry (thanks to Shaian for the help)
Ability: Competitive
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 100 Def / 76 SpA / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

At first my favourite Pokémon Milotic. Im useing Mirror Coat because there are many Thunderbolts out there (at least many of my opponents have them) and Milotic usually survives them wit at least 25% of its HP left. That means, when a Thundorus-T (it was the strongest Electric Special Attacker I could find) attacks with the T-Bolt and brings me down to 25% (~40 HP), the Sitrus Berry heals it and I take the Thundo about 150% of my max HP (~303 HP). Icy Wind to slow down Scarfed Lando-T´s and Chomps.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber (thanks to Shaian)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Low Kick (thanks to NOVES for the idea)
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

An other Pokémon Ive choose just because I like it. Ice Punch to hind Landos for much Damage, Fake Out to get some free damage, Return when High Jump Kick isnt that effective or I think a Protect is coming up, Thanks to NOVES I now know that Fake-Out+Low Kick is a better combo than Fake Out and HJK.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Ground)

Do I need to say anything here? After a look into the most used Pokémon at the Battle Spot, I knew I´ll need a strong fairy type like Sylveon. The HP Ground is to hit Steel and Fire types for Weakness, Shadow Ball to hit Cresselias, Psyshock to hit poison types and Hyper voce for everything else.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb (again thanks to Shaian)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 92 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Roost

I was using Talonflame here first, but this Team is, like Shaian mentioned in the comments, very weak to weather teams. Hydragon does pay off here because its more bulky and can defeat major threads like Lando and Thundo.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earth Quake
- U-Turn
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Well, I dont aktually like to play Lando, but it is really Important for this team. The fact, that you can weaken your apponent with like everything Lando has to offer is really Important. It is also very usefull to get its Intimidate 2-3 times in a battle. The attacks are pretty much self explaining. Just use the one who makes the most damage.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard (thanks to lllg17)
- Shadow Ball
- King´s Shield
IV: 0 Spe

Aegislash is something, I really want to play as a physikal attacker, but I wasnt able to provide a moveset that beats this one. I was using HP Ice instead of Wide Guard, but more than one person (in and out of this forum) told me to switch back to WIde Guard. So there must be something true about it. The 4 Speed EVs are here to speed out other Aegis (very usefull when your WP has alreaddy triggered)

I tried to use it in like 5 Battles in Battle Spot now and won 3 (I know, I should probably test it a little bit more XD) and it actually is fun to play. As I mentioned earlier, I am a huge fan of Milotic and Lopunny so I thought, why not build a team about those two Pokémon and this is what came out of that Idea.

One big weakness is Trick Room. since the most of those Pokémon are to fast for TR.

I will put a importable list in here as soon as i figuerde out how exactly i can do this.

This was my firt RMT Post, I hope I did it right. If anything is Wrong, I will change it ASAP.

EDIT: I made a few changes after I read the comments. They are marked Bold

Last edited:
Hey Cookie Knight! What up? So this is a pretty cool team, but you might want to update your thread with a bit more on each Pokemon and an introduction+threatlist+Importable so that we can rate better. Now I'm not the best VGC player, but I know a few things.
First off, change your TFlame's nature to Adamant>Jolly. The extra power is really nice and you don't have any investment at all so what's the point? Secondly,
252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Milotic: 335-398 (85 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
If you're going to run mirror coat, you might as well run specially defensive so stuff like this doesn't happen. This is a pretty extreme example as not a lot of Thunduruses (Thunduri?) run modest life orb, but you could easily be destroyed by doubling up.
Another tip, run Wide Guard on Aegislash instead of HP Ice or flash cannon. Heat wave heat ran is a real thing, and destroys a lot of your team if it's not choiced. Though if you want to get your weakness policy off then that's ok, but doubling up could destroy you. I'm on mobile and I can't type very much so I got to go. I might revisit this later and give an updated rate. Update your thread!

Hey Cookie Knight! What up? So this is a pretty cool team, but you might want to update your thread with a bit more on each Pokemon and an introduction+threatlist+Importable so that we can rate better. Now I'm not the best VGC player, but I know a few things.
First off, change your TFlame's nature to Adamant>Jolly. The extra power is really nice and you don't have any investment at all so what's the point? Secondly,
252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Milotic: 335-398 (85 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
If you're going to run mirror coat, you might as well run specially defensive so stuff like this doesn't happen. This is a pretty extreme example as not a lot of Thunduruses (Thunduri?) run modest life orb, but you could easily be destroyed by doubling up.
Another tip, run Wide Guard on Aegislash instead of HP Ice or flash cannon. Heat wave heat ran is a real thing, and destroys a lot of your team if it's not choiced. Though if you want to get your weakness policy off then that's ok, but doubling up could destroy you. I'm on mobile and I can't type very much so I got to go. I might revisit this later and give an updated rate. Update your thread!
Maybe this is a more relevant calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 198-234 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
I also just have a few more nitpicks. Does 0 Spe IVs give HP Ice? I believe that 31/0/30/31/31/31 gives HP Ice, not 31/31/31/31/31/0. So, I suggest Aegislash runs 0 Atk IVs AND 0 Spe IVs. And instead of HP Ice, I suggest Wide Guard. Wide Guard gives support to Aegislash and it's teammates by stopping opposing Heat Wave, Earthquakes, Hyper Voice, and others, in which the first 2 are SE on Aegislash. Also, some Thundurus-T's even run Specs so your Milotic can easily get OHKOd

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, here's just some quick suggestions / observations that I think you should look at:

1. There is really no reason to not be using Limber on Lopunny since being able to switch in on Thunder Waves prior to mega evolving affords it much greater flexibility against teams relying on Thundurus as a primary method of speed control.

2. I agree with the earlier rates about shoring up Milotic's Special Defence, as the use of Mirror Coat definitely warrants it. From there, here's a quick spread I whipped up which would remedy that:

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

This spread survives a Fake Out + Return from an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time, as well as a Thunderbolt from Life Orb Thundurus-T, and has an HP stat that is divisible by 4, giving it the maximum possible recovery from its Sitrus Berry. The remaining EV's were put into Special Attack, with 4 EV's left over thrown into Speed. Amongst other things, it can also always live a Giga Drain from Life Orb Venusaur + Heat Wave from Modest Zard Y so you can opt to Icy Wind or Mirror Coat, assuming they don't double up on Milotic.

3. At a first glance your team looks very weak to weather builds, notably having 1 resist to Water, and 2 resists to Fire. If Talonflame is down against either Sun or Rain, Ludicolo or Venusaur + weather setter would just steam roll over your team. A bulky Hydreigon set in place of Talonflame could probably provide you much needed resistance to both of those builds, as well as give you another reliable way of fighting Trick Room setters (notably Cresselia and the bulky Ghost-type crew). Not to mention Hydreigon has incredible offensive and defensive synergy with Sylveon and Aegislash, and is a better check to Aegislash and Ferrothorn than Talonflame could ever be.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Roost

This set plays a lot differently than standard Hydreigon sets, with enough Speed to outrun max Speed Smeargle, and just enough Special Attack to OHKO 4 HP Mega Metagross and standard Landorus-T, with the remaining EV's being put into bulk. This set can reliably provide offense against both major weather archetypes (which was a weakness of yours), as well as repeatedly break down bulkier neutral mons due to Roost being able to recuperate Life Orb recoil. Of course, a drawback to switching Talonflame out for Hydreigon is that it makes you weaker to Fighting types, but on this team that risk is mitigated due to Sylveon and Aegislash both walling every major Fighting-type. The other drawback is the lack of priority, but again, this is mitigated due to the fast portion of your team, Landorus-T and Lopunny, being able to outrun and beat several common threats.

Maybe this is a more relevant calc:
252+ SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 198-234 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
I also just have a few more nitpicks. Does 0 Spe IVs give HP Ice? I believe that 31/0/30/31/31/31 gives HP Ice, not 31/31/31/31/31/0. So, I suggest Aegislash runs 0 Atk IVs AND 0 Spe IVs. And instead of HP Ice, I suggest Wide Guard. Wide Guard gives support to Aegislash and it's teammates by stopping opposing Heat Wave, Earthquakes, Hyper Voice, and others, in which the first 2 are SE on Aegislash. Also, some Thundurus-T's even run Specs so your Milotic can easily get OHKOd
Not that his calc was very relevant, but yours isn't either. You're not going to run into modest life orb thund-t's. You'll only see modest with scarf for the most part. Also, you're wrong about the hidden power spread. There isn't just one spread you can use to get a certain type and 31/31/31/31/31/0 does give you HP Ice. Use google before you start giving advice like that. It's also not exactly fair to say that "Milotic will get OHKO'd by the one of the most powerful electric types with specs!" Yeah, no shit.

Anyway, for your team. I'd suggest running Special Attack on Milotic rather than defense. If the opponent doesn't bring intimidate against you, (which could happen often since you do have Milotic) then your milotic isn't going to be that good and it's going to be insanely weak. You need some invest to make milotic actually threatening. If you do want to say the bulky route though, I'd suggest using Suicune over Milotic. It has better overall bulk compared to milotic and still has the Mirror Coat niche that you want to use. It doesn't have competitive but with the set you're running, you're not taking advantage of the benefits of Competitive anyway.

I'd also recommend running Low Kick over HJK. HJK is really risky in a meta where everything runs protect and you also have the 10% chance to miss and lose half your health as well. Low Kick still picks up the KOs on important things like Heatran and Terrakion. You could say "B-but, it doesnt ohko kan 100% of the time!" Well, it still does a great amount and Fake Out + Low Kick is a guaranteed KO.

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to build all of your tipps regarding the post in my post when I made some of the suggested chages. I using Jolly over Adamant on Talon because I want to first hit with it even if Brave Bird seems not that good in that point.

Hey there, here's just some quick suggestions / observations that I think you should look at:

1. There is really no reason to not be using Limber on Lopunny since being able to switch in on Thunder Waves prior to mega evolving affords it much greater flexibility against teams relying on Thundurus as a primary method of speed control.

2. I agree with the earlier rates about shoring up Milotic's Special Defence, as the use of Mirror Coat definitely warrants it. From there, here's a quick spread I whipped up which would remedy that:

Milotic @ Sitrus Berry
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

This spread survives a Fake Out + Return from an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time, as well as a Thunderbolt from Life Orb Thundurus-T, and has an HP stat that is divisible by 4, giving it the maximum possible recovery from its Sitrus Berry. The remaining EV's were put into Special Attack, with 4 EV's left over thrown into Speed. Amongst other things, it can also always live a Giga Drain from Life Orb Venusaur + Heat Wave from Modest Zard Y so you can opt to Icy Wind or Mirror Coat, assuming they don't double up on Milotic.

3. At a first glance your team looks very weak to weather builds, notably having 1 resist to Water, and 2 resists to Fire. If Talonflame is down against either Sun or Rain, Ludicolo or Venusaur + weather setter would just steam roll over your team. A bulky Hydreigon set in place of Talonflame could probably provide you much needed resistance to both of those builds, as well as give you another reliable way of fighting Trick Room setters (notably Cresselia and the bulky Ghost-type crew). Not to mention Hydreigon has incredible offensive and defensive synergy with Sylveon and Aegislash, and is a better check to Aegislash and Ferrothorn than Talonflame could ever be.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Roost

This set plays a lot differently than standard Hydreigon sets, with enough Speed to outrun max Speed Smeargle, and just enough Special Attack to OHKO 4 HP Mega Metagross and standard Landorus-T, with the remaining EV's being put into bulk. This set can reliably provide offense against both major weather archetypes (which was a weakness of yours), as well as repeatedly break down bulkier neutral mons due to Roost being able to recuperate Life Orb recoil. Of course, a drawback to switching Talonflame out for Hydreigon is that it makes you weaker to Fighting types, but on this team that risk is mitigated due to Sylveon and Aegislash both walling every major Fighting-type. The other drawback is the lack of priority, but again, this is mitigated due to the fast portion of your team, Landorus-T and Lopunny, being able to outrun and beat several common threats.
That thing about the Milotic does make sense to me, I will change it and try it out after im done correcting my post. I only dont run limber on Lopunny because I couldnt get it and i just thoght "well, i will mega evolve asap anyways, so why put that much effort in it".

but i will use that change since you made a good point there.

about the Hydragon: I love that Idea. you are right about the weather teams, I didnt had a chance against one by now. I will defiently put that in in my team instead of talon.

thanks so much for those ideas

Not that his calc was very relevant, but yours isn't either. You're not going to run into modest life orb thund-t's. You'll only see modest with scarf for the most part. Also, you're wrong about the hidden power spread. There isn't just one spread you can use to get a certain type and 31/31/31/31/31/0 does give you HP Ice. Use google before you start giving advice like that. It's also not exactly fair to say that "Milotic will get OHKO'd by the one of the most powerful electric types with specs!" Yeah, no shit.

Anyway, for your team. I'd suggest running Special Attack on Milotic rather than defense. If the opponent doesn't bring intimidate against you, (which could happen often since you do have Milotic) then your milotic isn't going to be that good and it's going to be insanely weak. You need some invest to make milotic actually threatening. If you do want to say the bulky route though, I'd suggest using Suicune over Milotic. It has better overall bulk compared to milotic and still has the Mirror Coat niche that you want to use. It doesn't have competitive but with the set you're running, you're not taking advantage of the benefits of Competitive anyway.

I'd also recommend running Low Kick over HJK. HJK is really risky in a meta where everything runs protect and you also have the 10% chance to miss and lose half your health as well. Low Kick still picks up the KOs on important things like Heatran and Terrakion. You could say "B-but, it doesnt ohko kan 100% of the time!" Well, it still does a great amount and Fake Out + Low Kick is a guaranteed KO.
Well, you could be actually right about that thing with milotic. I tested it a few times agains Thundo-T with Specs, modest and 252 SpA but milotic survived.

I did never even thoug about using low kick over hjk. idk why, but it does make sense to me. i will make this chance too, thanks for the great feedback

Replace roost on Hydreigon with either Earth Power or Flamethrower, which allows you to hit Heatran and Ferrothorn / Scizor, two things your team generally doesnt like dealing with. Secondly, replace Knock Off (or U-Turn) on Landorus for Superpower, allowing you to hit Kangaskahn and KO Hydreigon and the like, considering Lopunny is the only other thing that stands a chance vs kangaskahn (or aegislash if its relatively healthy). Lastly, you NEED at least 1 more pokemon with speed control. Firstly, you are extremely weakk to tailwind teams, considering your team is somewhat frail, and you have no answers to trick room in the slightest. Contrary too what other people have said, even though life orb hydreigon can beat landorus and thundurus, both of its matchups vs both of them are not the best. if Hydreigon has attacked once already, or has taken any damage, a superpower from a scarf hydreigon ko's, and thunder-wave from thundurus nearly cripples it, as it allows many more threats to outspeed it and ko it. Not to mention, hydreigon isn't necessarily your best answer to weather teams, which you mentioned you struggled against. Frankly, adding Life Orb Thundurus would be a better option in my opinion, giving you both speed control, a better matchup vs both sun and rain, and the ability to patch up many more weaknesses.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

This set allows you to have the speed control you need, as well as giving you the ability to KO Charizard and many other water types in 1 or 2 hits respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)