SS OU My First Team, Please help me

This is my first ever Pokemon team, I wanted to finally spend some time making a Pokemon team that didn't consist of Pokemon I thought looked interesting so made a team after doing a bit of research, and I wanted to know how I can improve it. I don't know much about competitive, so its probably not very good at all.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

I have Ferrothorn as a lead Pokemon I can send in, and I think its an overall very defensive Pokemon, so I should be able to set up Stealth Rock and Leech Seed, and then use Gyro Ball, and Power Whip to do decent damage.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

I chose a Dragapult and Urshifu offensive core to try and do lots of damage to the opponents team, I put U-turn on them both so they can both easily be swapped out if necessary and tried to make sure both would be good for countering a wide range of types.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

I chose Magnezone, as it looked good as type coverage, and I could easily switch to anything else with Volt Switch, It also serves as Bulkier Pokemon on my team, as I have no other physically Defensive Pokemon on my team

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

I chose Tapu Fini as it looked like a bulky Pokemon that I could use for defence, but also removes spikes/stealth rock and still be able to put out a good amount of damage. It also serves as the only Specially Defensive Pokemon I have on the team.

Weavile @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

I chose Weavile to try and out speed other Pokemon and be able to kill them first, when they are on low health, I added Ice shard as a priority move, and swords dance to buff Weavile if I need to.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey EtherealFlare, welcome to Smogon! I’m here to rate your team and suggest changes to improve it.

For someone who is new to competitive Pokémon, there is a lot of good things here. First off, most of the sets are looking fine. I assume you’ve used the help of the OU analysis which is a good way to learn the tier. As for the synergy in the team, this looks like some kind of Balance team to me, but I feel like your defensive core is rather weak and struggle to deal with a huge number of threats. Defensive Magnezone :magnezone: doesn’t have much defensive utility, lacking a good way to recover health and Ferrothorn :ferrothorn: struggles against the same Pokemon. Tapu Fini :tapu fini: is a solid defensive pick but this combination leaves you weak to some breakers like Kartana :kartana:, Tapu Bulu :tapu bulu: and Zeraora :zeraora: with the latter being able to outspeed all your offensive options. Speaking about the offensive part of the team, this core is fine and Dragapult :dragapult:, Urshifu-R :urshifu-rapid-strike: and Weavile :weavile: are all extremely threatening Pokemon in the current metagame and they pair well together. Thus, I think that this team really need a rework of its defensive backbone, but you can keep the offensive basis as it’s already great. I’ll go over it in details just below.

Major Changes

:magnezone: -> :Corviknight:: First, this is not really how you want to play Magnezone. This moveset with Analytic use to be how Specs Magnezone was played before the second DLC. Now, all Magnezone use Magnet Pull and most of them run Body Press with Iron Defensive alongside with a Defensive spread (but still need some Speed) to beat both the likes of Corviknight :corviknight: and Ferrothorn :ferrothorn:. Now, I don’t think you need to trap these Pokemon here, as your offensive core already deal with team efficiently. You rather have something that brings a true defensive utility as Magnezone cannot properly regen its HP. Corviknight seems to be a way more solid option here, as it can help dealing with a lot of troublesome breakers like Kartana :kartana: while bringing a Defoggers and a slow pivot option to safely switch-in one of your own breakers. Here is the classic set (the SpD invest helps dealing with Tapu Lele :tapu lele: ):
corviknight.gif

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

:Ferrothorn: -> :Landorus-therian:: Ferrothorn could be nice with a Spikes set to stack hazards, but I think you rather have an Electric immunity here with already two Pokemon weak to this type in your defensive core. This is especially important to deal with Zeraora :zeraora: who can beat Ferrothorn easily with Close Combat. Landorus-T :landorus-therian: seems to be a very good pick here, bringing that Zeraora answer as well as a good Rocker and Pivot. You can try a mixed spread with some SpD investment to deal better with some special threats like Dragapult :dragapult: and Tapu Koko :tapu koko:. Here is the set:

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Minor Changes

:tapu fini:: I feel like Calm Mind Tapu Fini with more Def investments will bring much more utility here, giving a great win condition against a lot of teams and being able to sponge Urshifu-R :urshifu-rapid-strike: hits easily and heal more efficiently with Draining Kiss. Here is the classic spread for this set, if you rather use a trapping set, you can run Whirlpool over Defog as I added another Defogger:

tapufini.gif

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Draining Kiss
- Scald

:weavile:: Letfovers is not very useful on Weavile, and you really want to have your Heavy Duty Boots so that you can come freely on Rocks. I would also change Icicle Crash for Triple Axel as you need this extra power to bruteforce through some checks even if Icicle Crash can be a little safer as it is more reliable. Here is the set I would use:

weavile.gif

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

:urshifu-rapid-strike:: I would just change Ice Punch for Aqua Jet. I feel like having a priority that can revenge kill threatening sweepers like Volcarona :volcarona: would be more interesting here. Moreover, Ice Punch is mainly useful for Dragonite :dragonite: and you can already deal with it by using Corviknight :corviknight: and pivoting into Weavile :weavile:. Thunder Punch is another good option to hit bulky Water types.

Dragapult’s set is fine, nothing to change here.

And that’s all for the changes, here is the new version of the team, don’t hesitate to try it out:

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Draining Kiss
- Scald

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

I’ve tested a bit the new team around 1700 on the ladder and here are some replays to show you how it works and how you can play this kind of team:

Against a team with some rather uncommon Pokemon:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1381311732-64wbtrireeirlfqpznuervikd01dimfpw

Against a Balance team with Specs Kyurem:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1381323316

Against a very offensive team (where Tapu Fini shines with a bit of luck):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1381325694-6wpgf0ncfaexzbrv2mc2v9bo66zyilxpw

Hope this was helpful, have a nice day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)