My first warstory: Sneaking back from behind

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi! This is my first attempt at a warstory. I hope that you enjoy reading it.

This match was on the UU ladder. I was testing a new team, and I found talon.
Talon and I had played some time ago. Let's just say that I lost that match(Okay, it was 5 - 0).

Note: I played REALLY badly today, so please don't flame me in your comments or call me "noob!!!". I know I played horribly. Please don't think that I am a horrible battler because of this.

My team:

talon's team:

talon's moves will look like this.
erazor's moves will look like this.
my comments will be in green.
other text will look like this.
Leftovers will be removed.
Nicknames will be removed.
Sandstorm/hail damage will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO.
I have bolded a few moves to show that they are important.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

Let's go!!

talon sent out Roserade (lvl 100 Roserade ?).
erazor sent out Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
Staraptor's intimidate cut Roserade's attack!

Okay, from my experience, Roserade leads are almost always scarfed and use sleep powder first off. I don't want Staraptor disabled this early in the match. So I switch to my sleep absorber.

erazor switched in Regice (lvl 100 Regice).
Roserade used Sleep Powder.
Regice fell asleep!

As expected, he used Sleep powder. Now if it's scarfed, he HAS to switch out. So I use this opportunity to bring in my Stealth Rocker to... well, get up rocks.
---
talon switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
erazor switched in Regirock (lvl 100 Regirock).

He switches to Registeel, his own Stealth Rocker. Now, I make the first of many stupid moves here. Instead of going for the Stealth rock, I go for a thunder wave. Even I don't know how this happened. I guess I thought that he would switch out in fear of earthquake.
---
Registeel used Thunder Wave.
Regirock is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Regirock used Thunder Wave.
Registeel is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Well, two paralyzed Regis on the field. Now I try to set up stealth rock.
---
Registeel is paralysed! It can't move!
Regirock is paralysed! It can't move!

Parahax. Lol. Not much to say here.
---
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

And I get parahaxed again while Registeel sets up his rocks. Thankfully,I have a spinner, so it isn't that much of a deal.
---
g is for bull has entered the room.
Regirock used Stealth Rock.
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
But it failed!

I finally get up rocks, 3 turns after I should have. Better late than never, though. Meanwhile, he misclicks and wastes the turn.
Now, my Regirock's job is almost done. I go for a bit of offense now, trying to whittle down Registeel's health.

---
talon switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Spiritomb.
Spiritomb lost 12% of its health.
Regirock used Earthquake.
Spiritomb lost 18% of its health.

... but he switches out, and in comes the omnipresent Spiritomb(seriously, this thing is on every team on the ladder). It takes the earthquake like it was nothing, and just sits there waiting for my next move.

Now, this thing is most probably a Calm minder, like every other Spiritomb out there. I can't afford to let it get too many Calm minds. Also, it blocks my attempts at spinning, so I have to take it out as soon as possible. Even if it means sacrificing something. So I switch to my hardest hitter.

---
erazor switched in Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
Staraptor's intimidate cut Spiritomb's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Staraptor.
Staraptor lost 25% of its health.

Spiritomb used Calm Mind.
Spiritomb's special attack was raised.
Spiritomb's special defence was raised.

Staraptor cooly stares down Spiritomb while it calm minds.
He might switch out to avoid the Brave Bird coming his way. But anything he sends out takes a beating from a Choice Banded Brave Bird, even registeel takes a fair amount of damage. Either way, SOMETHING was getting hurt.

---
Staraptor used Brave Bird.
Spiritomb lost 70% of its health.
Staraptor was hit by recoil!
Staraptor lost 23% of its health.
Spiritomb used Dark Pulse.
Staraptor lost 52% of its health.
erazor's Staraptor fainted.

Staraptor strips off a whopping 70% of that ghost's health, bringing it within easy KO range. However, that comes at a price, that price being Staraptor's dead body. But that sacrifice was not going to be in vain.

Score : 6-5 (talon)
---
erazor switched in Espeon (lvl 100 Espeon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Espeon.
Espeon lost 12% of its health.
Espeon used Signal Beam.
Spiritomb lost 17% of its health.
talon's Spiritomb fainted.
(5-5)
Espeon lost 10% of its health.

I bring in Espeon to finish off his Spiritomb. It's pretty useless to him now, so he lets it faint. Then I wait to see who he brings out now...

---
talon switched in Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
Pointed stones dug into Crobat.
Crobat lost 25% of its health.

A Crobat. It could be a taunter, hypnosiser, scouter(with u-turn) or a brave bat.
Taunting me would be stupid of him, as he has seen that my Espeon carries a Life orb, and Crobat fears Psychic.
He can't put anyone to sleep since sleep clause has been activated, so he wouldn't have switched it in to use Hypnosis.
Therefore, I concluded that it was going to attack or use U-turn. Neither of them is good news for Espeon, given it's physical fraility. So I switch out to Regirock.

erazor switched in Regirock (lvl 100 Regirock).
Pointed stones dug into Regirock.
Regirock lost 12% of its health.
Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 25% of its health.

Crobat does NONE of the things I expected, as talon makes a good prediction that I would switch and uses roost.
---
Crobat used U-turn.
Regirock lost 8% of its health.
talon switched in Blaziken (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blaziken.
Blaziken lost 12% of its health.
Regirock used Ice Punch.
It's not very effective...
Blaziken lost 13% of its health.

Now, I did not use Thunder Wave for 2 reasons. First, it could still carry taunt.
Second, he could just switch in Registeel to absorb it. So I went for the safe alternative and used Ice punch. But I overpredicted and he gets in Blaziken.
From our previous match, I know that it was an Agility passer. I also know that it had substitute. So I use Earthquake to do something to him.

---
Blaziken used Substitute.
Blaziken lost 25% of its health.
Blaziken made a substitute!
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Blaziken!
Blaziken's substitute faded!

As I predicted, he subbed, and just lost 25% health. I earthquaked him again, hoping to nail his substitute again.
---
Blaziken used Substitute.
Blaziken lost 25% of its health.
Blaziken made a substitute!
Blaziken's Liechi Berry raised its attack!

But at that moment, parahax decides to step in, and Blaziken is at +1 attack and behind a sub. It started going downhill from here. I have to break that sub.
---
Blaziken used Agility.
Blaziken's speed was sharply raised.

I try to break the sub, but Arceus hates me and this leaves Blaziken at +2 speed, +1 attack, and behind a sub. This is the perfect time for him to Baton Pass.
---
Blaziken used Baton Pass.

He passes the baton to... wait, you guess who.
Which sweeper in UU likes to recieve speed and attack boosts? Yup, you got it, its............

talon switched in Gallade (lvl 100 Gallade ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gallade.
Gallade lost 6% of its health.
The substitute took damage for Gallade!
Gallade's substitute faded!

So I break his sub, finally. At least this means that he can't swords dance. Not that he needs to, anyway.
---
Gallade used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Regirock lost 85% of its health.
Gallade's defence was lowered.
Gallade's special defence was lowered.
Regirock used Stealth Rock.
But it failed!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!! I SURVIVED HIS CLOSE COMBAT, AND MISCLICKED!!!!!!
I tried thunderwaving him to stop his sweep, but I frikkin misclicked......... and down went regirock.

Regirock: YOU IDIOT! YOU HAD TO MISCLICK!!
Me: I said I was sorry...
Regirock: Humph!!

---
It's super effective!
Regirock lost 21% of its health.
erazor's Regirock fainted.

Score: 5-4 (talon)
---
erazor switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blastoise.
Blastoise lost 12% of its health.

I bring in Blastoise because I absolutely HAVE to remove those rocks. Plus, it's pretty sturdy. I hope it can survive one +1 close combat...

Gallade used Swords Dance.
Gallade's attack was sharply raised.
Blastoise used Rapid Spin.
Blastoise blew away the spikes!

Gallade lost 12% of its health.

I got rid of the rocks. But Gallade uses that time to get a Swords dance under his belt. It looks like GG at this point.
---
Blastoise lost 94% of its health.
erazor's Blastoise fainted.

Score: 5-3 (talon)

Ah well, at least he served his purpose...
---
erazor switched in Espeon (lvl 100 Espeon ?).
Gallade used Night Slash.
It's super effective!
Espeon lost 78% of its health.
erazor's Espeon fainted.

Down goes Espeon. It's definitely GG at this point...

Score: 5-2 (talon)
---
erazor switched in Regice (lvl 100 Regice).
It's super effective!
Regice lost 100% of its health.
erazor's Regice fainted.

Score: 5-1 (talon)

Stupid Regice, didn't do anything the whole match.
---
So now I have one poke left, against a fast, pumped up Gallade. I bring out.... (drumroll)........... SHEDINJA!!

THIS is the reason I absolutely had to remove Stealth Rock from the field. So it's shedinja vs talon's full team, minus spiritomb.

erazor switched in Shedinja (lvl 100 Shedinja).
Shedinja used Shadow Sneak.
It's super effective!
Gallade lost 82% of its health.
talon's Gallade fainted.
(4-1)

Close Combat's defence drops help me here, and Gallade finally goes down. But it really left a mark on my team (probably several marks by the looks of it)
---
talon switched in Roserade (lvl 100 Roserade ?).
Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 12% of its health.
Roserade used Sleep Powder.
Shedinja fell asleep!
Shedinja's Lum Berry cured its Sleep!
Shedinja used X-Scissor.
Roserade lost 77% of its health.

Roserade tries to stop me by putting shedinja to sleep... but Lum Berry saves the day!! This also tells me that he probably doesn't have anything to kill me with, if the best he can do is sleep me.
---
Roserade lost 11% of its health.
talon's Roserade fainted.
(3-1)

And Shedinja brings down another poke.
---
talon switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Pointed stones dug into Registeel.
Registeel lost 6% of its health.

He brings out registeel. Registeel NEVER carries moves to hit Shedinja, so it's pretty safe to set up now.

Shedinja used Swords Dance.
Shedinja's attack was sharply raised.

The Parahax just makes sure that I get in a Swords Dance... but it's actually pretty important.
---

And again.
---
Registeel used Explosion.
It doesn't affect Shedinja...
talon's Registeel fainted.
(2-1)

Well, so this was what he was trying to do!! Too bad explosion doesn't hit Shedinja, registeel!!!
Now Shedinja is at +6, and it looks like there's hope for me in the end.

---
talon switched in Blaziken (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).
Pointed stones dug into Blaziken.
talon's Blaziken fainted.
(1-1)

Thank god for priority. Blaziken is slow, but shedinja is even slower, and it could have easily stopped me with a fire move.
---
talon switched in Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
Pointed stones dug into Crobat.
Crobat lost 25% of its health.

g is for bull: that thing lacks brave bird?
g is for bull: ._.
erazor: go sheddy??
Crobat lost 75% of its health.
talon's Crobat fainted.
(0-1)
erazor wins!
talon has left the room.
g is for bull has left the room.

And Shedinja saves the day!!

Now that I look back, the parahax when Sheddy was setting up in Registeel's face WAS important, as it ensured that I got to +6. If it had exploded on turn 1, then Sheddy would have just been at +2, and I don't know if that's enough to KO Crobat.

Props:
-Staraptor, for effectively killing Spiritomb.
-Blaziken for setting up a devastating sweep
-Gallade for beating the crap out of 4 pokes of mine
-Blastoise, for removing Stealth Rock.
-Shedinja, of course, for basically bailing me out of a bad spot.
-Shadow sneak, for having priority. In fact, I named this warstory after it.
-talon, for a decent match

Slops:
-Bad prediction on my part
-Regice did nothing.
-Lots of Parahax

I hoped you enjoyed reading the warstory. I have tried to explain my thought process wherever possible. Constructive Criticism is welcome.

This log was formatted using Warmachine Version 1.0

I almost stopped reading when you used Ice Punch, you should have Thunder Waved. Luckily Shedinja saved your ass. Comments were good, but the battle was meh. This would have been great if there was more prediction. You write well!

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
I mentioned the reasons why I didn't use Thunder Wave. However, I did realise that it was probably the best option. Five seconds later.Thanks for the comment!!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with what Thorns said, the battle was decent but you have a way about your writing that makes up for it. I enjoyed this quite a bit :D

i enjoyed reading this. not the "smartest" account of war i've read, but i think recognizing mistakes and errors is also an important part of becoming a good battler.

plus it warms a certain place in my heart when that little Cicada shell fucks shit up. XD

Impressive how Regirock took that boosted Close Combat. And nice Shedinja sweep at the end.

I also like your made up word "Hypnosiser".

Hypnotizer would have worked better, but yeah.

Really, the battle was definitely an ehhh, but the comments were great and I loved watching Shedinja do his thing.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
I'll try to play a proper good game sometime soon and warstory that. But thanks for the comments guys, it's really encouraging.

A decent effort for your first warstory. I hope to see some quality warstories from you. :)

The red green contrast is a bit hard on the eye.

Malfunction

nice desu ne
Not a bad warstory, Like everyone said, your commentary is nice. Just make sure next time you do this, do it with a good battle!

This is one of the best come-back stories I've read in ages! The writing was succinct and enthralling, even when I was slapping my face in the midst of all the mis-clicks.

This is a solid work despite the terrible misplays, so I hope you'll improve on your mistakes for future battles (and maybe even for another story!).

Great comments, especially for a first. The battle was a little meh and had too many misclicks for my taste, but still, this is great for a first. Well done!

You should have resorted to Shedinja earlier, you really don't need it to rape 3 of your pokes before you go for the shadow sneak. You could have done more than 100% damage to Gallade after Blastoise got hit by a close combat. In fact you would have been able to OHKO after Regirock died if SR wasn't out.

Nice Job :)
Looking forward to seeing another from you!

I'm not a big fan of the purple and black though because your moves would tend to stick out more than they should. Buuuutttt... It doesn't really matter that much. Good job!

Nice battle, started out a bit funny with the misclicks and such, but quickly became enjoyably unpredictable. The mistakes only made it more fun :P

I agree with the general consensus here. Not the best battle overall, but fun and your writing was fantastic. Really good for a first time. I look forward to more.

it was fun to read, not best battle, but it was nice :), I really thought you'd lose xD but sheddy pwn0rized his team :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)