Gen 4 My peronal progress journal in the Gen 4 OU ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on a hot losing streak in Gen 4 OU lately. No matter what team I use, I always lose my patience very quickly and make bad plays because I can't handle waiting around, playing patiently and stuff like that. To be honest, I want a team that can hit fast and hard, with a lot of bulk, that maintains momentum even while switching. I'm fairly certain that's impossible to accomplish, but what's the next best thing? How do I win at Gen 4 OU ladder matches?

EDIT. 5/7/2020. This thread will chronicle my pursuit of the highest score ever on the Gen 4 OU ladder! Yeeha! :swole: :v4:

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You were saccing mons when you had better switch ins. Tar didnt need to take the uturn and loom didnt need to take the draco.

That does make sense... I made those switches because I expected them to use completely different moves from the one's they actually did. Things like that can be difficult to predict. I don't feel confident about that. Hmm.. oh! I could've switched in Gyrados onto that U-Turn, or Jirachi on that Draco Meteor. At least in theory....

Whoa! Just watched the vid. Yeah. I dehhhfinitly should'ev switched Jirachi on that Draco Meteor!

Last edited:

49 Days

Formerly Taerim
At first it is difficult to know what Azelf was like. But after that damage from Uturn in Ttar and that the Empo wore SR it is clear that it was CB. Otherwise fine, just the Loom vs Kingdra bug I imagine was specs. After sacrificing Gyara I think you should have taken Jirachi out. Bad luck that BSlam that did not stop but after that there was the option to put Rotom in Explosion because another move did not make much sense.

Okay guys. So I took a nice walk to calm me down a bit. I think it might be smart to try using the Pokémon that defeated me mons like Starmie, Zapdos, Azelf, Kingdra. I don't think those Pokémon automatically go well together tho. What do you guys think? Hey while we're at it, what have you all been struggling with when it comes to scoring high on the Gen 4 OU ladder?

EDIT: I made my own team. I'll be posting it shortly in the RMT forum but for now, I'm leaving it here. Two things I feel express myself well are stat boosts and HP healing, so I'd love to make a team that can perform those moves often.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Bulk Up
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Last edited:

49 Days

Formerly Taerim
If there is something the ladder has is that sometimes it is okay to stop a bit and rest from a bad streak. It is not healthy to dedicate so much to that.

Well, if you want to use a style or something that makes battles shorter you can try adding a CB Ttar + TR Zong for example. I mention these two because it may fit well with what you have said before: Azelf / Zapdos / Kingdra. Everyone can do well in the same team and work great. Offensive Starmie Spin, Agility LO / Leftovers Zapdos / specs Kingdra.

the team you put down is not bad. Starting with Champ can be a good start as it can surprise with a bit of luck as well. But I'm not convinced by BUp. Maybe a set with Sash or Lum Berry works better and instead put Ice Punch or SE. BPunch on Sub is a good option to have priority and finish off leads like Aero.

Excellent news! I got together with Jimmy Turtwig, and he ran me through the battling process and how to make the right decisions, and I improved considerably! Here is the team I'm currently running. I amassed a 5-win streak effectively and quickly. The only time I lost was due to some considerable hax, like Bounce missing two times in a row, and my opponent getting a few critical hits. I can only assume I made a few bad decisions, but I still believe luck was a bigger factor. Sadly, I do not have the replay.

Hopefully next time I can get even better results! Here's my current team! https://pokepast.es/4708f19d8d1a1830

Edit: I made it into 1300+ ELO! YES. Now I just need to keep up the momentum. Any advice gays gals, and bosses?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)