my worst pokemon pronunciations

enjoy

EYE-jih-slash
This pronunciation of 'ae' is used in classical Latin, which, considering that's where English originally got 'aegis' from, makes it reasonable to use. I don't know where you got the 'j' sound from though, classical Latin doesn't use it.

speaking (heh) of Latin pronuncations, I'm pretty sure my use of Ay-ter-Nat-oos is not the standard.

Total Clefairy

came up with the smogoff name
This pronunciation of 'ae' is used in classical Latin, which, considering that's where English originally got 'aegis' from
uhm acktually *pushes glasses up nose* the word aegis (originally aigis) comes from greek, being the shield/animal skin (interpretations vary) borne by athene and zeus in mythology, so uhhhhh........ *smirks* get schooled kid

no idea about the pronunciation tho - language isn't really my scene

uhm acktually *pushes glasses up nose* the word aegis (originally aigis) comes from greek, being the shield/animal skin (interpretations vary) borne by athene and zeus in mythology, so uhhhhh........ *smirks* get schooled kid

no idea about the pronunciation tho - language isn't really my scene
Hence why I said "used in Latin" not "originates in Latin." I happened to take a course in Latin before taking one in Greek, so it's my default point of reference.

The mythology source in said course used aegis to refer to Athena's/Minerva's armour once Medusa's head was transferred to it, but as you said there's a lot of variation when it comes to myths.

TheMantyke

Sentient Movepool Trivia
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1609563395893.png

Back in 2nd grade, Gen 2 was so young that we didn't have the anime or PS2 to reference Pokemon names. Whoever got the Pokemon first and started talking about it decided how it was pronounced.

I got all my 2nd grade friends to pronounce Meganium as Mega-Knee-Um. Later on, I thought it was so weird how incorrect the Pokemon Stadium 2 announcer was saying its name.

My brother used to pronouce Groudon like Gru-don for whatever reason, drove me nuts. He also pronouned Kyogre as Key-ogre. Although I don't think he was joking on Groudon, he did like to mess around and wrongly pronounce Pokemon names purposefully such as pronouncing Gible in a similar fashion to 'gilet' (so Geeb-lay) and Feebas like Feebus.

I also had a friend who pronounced Empoleon in the literal sense of the name, splitting it up like Emp-O-Leon (pronouncing leon like the irl name).

There are a bunch of Poketubers that unironically say deck-ah-doo-ee, and I'm not sure if they're just taking the piss, or if they actually think that's how you pronounce Decidueye....

enjoy
kie-MEH-co
Question. Is the capitalized part supposed to emphasize the part you pronounce wrong? Because the name of this thing is just saying the word Chime and Echo together. "chai-Meh-ko", with the emphasis on the second syllable. Meaning you're right on the second syllable, but wrong on the first. Not that I'm guilt free of mispronouncing this thing's name. I used to call it "Chih-muh-Cho" and then "chaim-cho". The last one I rationalized as it having a Chinese sounding name, which it has in common with Chingling.
:rattata: = Rat-tah-tah
Are you saying you emphasize each syllables equally? Like saying "at at at" repeatedly?
:lapras: = Lapriss
Where's the emphasis? On the first syllable (La-priss) or the second syllable (luh-Priss)?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
When Snivy's name was revealed some people (including me) hated it because they thought it was Sniv-y instead of Sn-ivy.

I'm pretty sure this is from misreading it, but I know someone who thought Deoxys was pronounces Dex-oys until he heard it in the movie. It's impressive how switching two letters can make something sound so much dumber.

Edit: Alomomola

Pronunciation: Alo-mo-uh... What should have been Luvdisc's evolution? I'd like to see you try!

Last edited:

Finland

choo choo i am train
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Question. Is the capitalized part supposed to emphasize the part you pronounce wrong?
good q. no, it's where i put the emphasis

for our new OI friends:

MAS-cur-EN

mel-oh-EH' (apostrophe = quick stop)

muhy-TYEN-uh

i swear it changes every time i look at this. nuh-guh-NAH-duhl, NAH-guh-NAY-duhl, nuh-GAH-nuh-del?

speh-tree-AY

sta-KA-ta-KA-ta

stun-juhn-YER

THUN-druss (not "th" as in "the". just a t followed by an h)

ECKS-ah-tu, ECKS-ern-ee-us, WHY-vel-tal

SAH-muh-SEN-tuh

i pronounce this normally but "sih-vill-AY-on" just popped in my head and i might switch!

I refuse to pronounce Arceus correctly :blobthumbsup:

It's not a huge issue because it's kind of his (the Youtuber's) "brand" but hearing Garbodor as "GARB-uh-dor" is wrong, and relatively common.

i swear it changes every time i look at this. nuh-guh-NAH-duhl, NAH-guh-NAY-duhl, nuh-GAH-nuh-del?
The hardest part for me here is where to put the accent. If done accurately all three A's should probably be short A sounds instead of schwas but it's not a huge difference. I personally pronounce it closest to your last one, though considering its etymology (naga + corruption of needle), the first is also pretty good.

sta-KA-ta-KA-ta
Do tell me what's wrong with this because that's how I pronounce it (with short A sounds of course)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)