Mystery Dungeon Discussion and Rescues.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is actually really unbalanced now that I think about it. You've got the previously mentioned Multi Hit moves, protect that gives you immunity for several turns, agility for multiple moves per turn, Double Team so you can't be hit, Focus Punch, etc etc.

I got through Heart Lake recently. I got a Better Odds Emera on floor 4, and if you don't know, Better Odds makes every attack guaranteed to crit if the move's PP is even. I have a Bisharp with Guillotine and a couple of Elixirs, so I was just getting perfect accuracy Guillotines every other move. It was amazing to just OHKO anything annoying.

Also, in Super I never use my main character, my partner or Mew. I just do everything with level 50-60s. And while I like not relying on the main character, I went through the whole story as this Charmander so I really want to use him every now and again. And the fact that I use around 12 Pokemon for everything when I have over 200 connections makes me kind of sad.

Also, I'm about to go to Regigigas' dungeon, what should I bring? I'm thinking of taking a Surround Wand in case he's like Yveltal.

By the way, what's your dream team for Super? (With items and movesets, of course.)

Last edited:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is actually really unbalanced now that I think about it. You've got the previously mentioned Multi Hit moves, protect that gives you immunity for several turns, agility for multiple moves per turn, Double Team so you can't be hit, Focus Punch, etc etc.
Smokescreen that makes the target miss every single move for several turns...

Smokescreen that makes the target miss every single move for several turns...
More painful memories. Nothing like retreating and forcing your partner to do work until they get Smokescreen-ed to make a good dungeon experience even better.

Excuse me for double-posting (Though given the last post was almost a month ago, I guess it's not too bad... right? Right?) in order to give my first impressions on Super Mystery Dungeon, having bought it alongside a New 3DS yesterday, since it was my birthday.

I'm really liking it so far. In terms of gameplay, it has a much faster pace than Explorers and the interface goes much more to the point, as well as several useful features (Such as giving the option to use an item you cannot pick up straight away, instead of having to inspect your position; telling you which moves are ranged; disabling non-attacking moves on partners by default; etc.) that eventually makes the easiest dungeons the breeze they were supposed to be. The 'let your partners use healing items on you' option is also pretty good in spite of lowering difficulty, as it at least gives them a minor hint of intelligence they lacked in the previous games.

In terms of story... well... I only got to Chapter 4, but the beginning does play the comical half typical of the series better than other games. The partner is so out of its mind I cannot but love it.

There was one minor thing that bothered me however... why, of all things, the Pokemon the game suggests you when it thinks you have a leader-like personality is Chikorita?

Excuse me for double-posting (Though given the last post was almost a month ago, I guess it's not too bad... right? Right?) in order to give my first impressions on Super Mystery Dungeon, having bought it alongside a New 3DS yesterday, since it was my birthday.

I'm really liking it so far. In terms of gameplay, it has a much faster pace than Explorers and the interface goes much more to the point, as well as several useful features (Such as giving the option to use an item you cannot pick up straight away, instead of having to inspect your position; telling you which moves are ranged; disabling non-attacking moves on partners by default; etc.) that eventually makes the easiest dungeons the breeze they were supposed to be. The 'let your partners use healing items on you' option is also pretty good in spite of lowering difficulty, as it at least gives them a minor hint of intelligence they lacked in the previous games.

In terms of story... well... I only got to Chapter 4, but the beginning does play the comical half typical of the series better than other games. The partner is so out of its mind I cannot but love it.

There was one minor thing that bothered me however... why, of all things, the Pokemon the game suggests you when it thinks you have a leader-like personality is Chikorita?
A little bit of advice. Connect with Lillipup and Whiscash as early as you can. I won't spoil it, but connecting with Whiscash will be totally worth it.

Back in Explorers, it only did like 35 damage. Fun fact. If you ask me. 50-60 damage is already sufficient for an item like that.
Yeah, that's why it shocked me. I mean, why would one use those items back in the other PMD games when you could use Gravelerrocks that dealt only a little less damage but with far more versatility? Now it deals 75 damage when thrown...

Yeah, that's why it shocked me. I mean, why would one use those items back in the other PMD games when you could use Gravelerrocks that dealt only a little less damage but with far more versatility? Now it deals 75 damage when thrown...
This reminds me of another thing I love about PMD (going from Explorers perspective) is Stick/Iron Stick/Gravelrock/Stone or whatever else. It just felt like more versatility in items. These give you a reason to not waste space on a ranged move in your moveslot, which is great (and even if you do, no PP wasted!). Honestly, PMD items are really unique and diverse compared with the main series. You have Orbs which have nice effects, typically involving the entire room or area (bye Monster Houses), Seeds (simiar to Orbs but more potent + single target), food items, gummis, etc etc. Diversity at its finest.

i'm playing through gates of infinity and it's been pretty fun so far! i like what they have going with paradise. rlly annoying that you can only do 1 job at a time altho i suppose that's to limit how fast you can upgrade paradise. kinda lame but not too big of a deal.

but holy shit: fucking pluck vullaby is broken af. i was just chilling doing a mission and this piece of shit eats a reviver seed and then a blast seed to KO my partner. ugh. can these guys fuck off

and then in the first dungeon, there's a door you can unlock with a key - i unlocked it but little did i know there were two braviary in there who took no damage to any of my attacks and just fucked my shit up. WTF

i'm playing through gates of infinity and it's been pretty fun so far! i like what they have going with paradise. rlly annoying that you can only do 1 job at a time altho i suppose that's to limit how fast you can upgrade paradise. kinda lame but not too big of a deal.

but holy shit: fucking pluck vullaby is broken af. i was just chilling doing a mission and this piece of shit eats a reviver seed and then a blast seed to KO my partner. ugh. can these guys fuck off

and then in the first dungeon, there's a door you can unlock with a key - i unlocked it but little did i know there were two braviary in there who took no damage to any of my attacks and just fucked my shit up. WTF
Yeah, I dislike only getting to take on one job at a time, though I understand why they did it. I will admit that it is kinda fun building Paradise, deciding where to put things and whatnot. I bet almost no two Paradises look the same.

I feel you on pluck Vullaby. I also hate incinerate Simisear/Pansear. It doesn't help that I'm a Snivy. -_-

I went through this exact same thing lol. I thought there was gonna be some cool treasure or something behind the locked doors, but then all a sudden, a fucking Braviary. I actually managed to beat one by repeatedly putting it to sleep, but then another came around and I was done for. Rip

Just finished Chapter 16. Loving the Type Bulldozer emera... but it could be because of me being a Snivy and Grass STAB sucks...

DID I JUST SEE MASS MURDER!? (Even if it's not called as such) IN A POKEMON GAME!? (Even if the Mystery Dungeon series has always been pretty dark)

Also, not a smart move, Nuzleaf. Krookodile is the prime suspect, you could have pretended to know nothing and have everyone dead while still posing as a nice guy.

Then again, it may be me knowing things will not end this way, and not because of spoilers or anything.

You know, for kids!

The first Voidlands background music would not be out of place in a survival horror game, by the way.

Also, this:

A fainted Scizor two tiles away from two apples...

Last edited:
Oh boy, PMD. Still can't help but listen to Defy the Legends, Through the Sea of Time, and of course Dialga's Fight to the Finish from time to time and this is YEARS after I played those games.

That being said, I admit I really want to get into PMD again but I'm unsure where to start. Of GTI and Super, which is the best to jump into? I've heard GTI has good music, but iffy plot and otherwise, but I don't know much about Super. Which is the hardest?
that hole at the top of Mt. Bristle still has me guessing. Way to thank your hero, Azurill.

Also, come to think of it, now that SuMo have come out, we're due for a new PMD sometime soon. Probably isn't any news out so close to gen 7's launch though, huh?

Oh boy, PMD. Still can't help but listen to Defy the Legends, Through the Sea of Time, and of course Dialga's Fight to the Finish from time to time and this is YEARS after I played those games.

That being said, I admit I really want to get into PMD again but I'm unsure where to start. Of GTI and Super, which is the best to jump into? I've heard GTI has good music, but iffy plot and otherwise, but I don't know much about Super. Which is the hardest?
that hole at the top of Mt. Bristle still has me guessing. Way to thank your hero, Azurill.

Also, come to think of it, now that SuMo have come out, we're due for a new PMD sometime soon. Probably isn't any news out so close to gen 7's launch though, huh?
Like many other people I also really disliked Gates to Infinity, but to be fair I feel like Gates got a lot of hate because the bars were set really high after the phenomenal game that was Explorers of the Sky and Gates simply couldn't live up to it.

Anyways, back on point: I'd say you should go with Super. It's got all Pokemon up to gen 6 whereas Gates is severely lacking and the game is surprisingly challenging despite throwing uberstrong pokemon on your face to join your team right from the start. The pacing, however, is its weakest point: it starts too slow and just sort of gloss over things way too quickly near the end. But overall I'd say it is right up there with Explorers as far as enjoyment goes.

mystery dungeon is the best as you might be able to tell by the fact that i'm doing an lp of blue (and eventually sky) on this very forum!!!

sky is best, super is second, blue is third, never played gti. that's my opinion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)