Walrus Myzozoa's Walrus Redux: Humbug Ball (Won by Shubaka)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
headers are 'we dont care' and 'georgeous' by kanye west

and in last place,

Pdc

Crack Rock · Frank Ocean

Kind of tame and repetitive for me. 6.8/10

Myzozoa

next a tie on 7.6
first
electrys

Fuck the Police: "Doctor Gradus Ad Parnassum" by Claude Debussy

• Imagine that the police is every single piano teacher in the world, and their united message is that you should keep practicing your etudes and exercises. This piece is f***ing that piano teacher police. Start practicing yet another boring and dry etude, wander off playing wetter stuff, then once your piano teacher tells you to get back to work, improvise on the etude and one-up it at the end.

Piano teachers are the worst, but some parts of this are boring purely for thematic reasons, kind of tricky to grade 7.6/10

then

Llamas

PHANTOGRAM - Running From The Cops
Great intro and beats, it’s not giving me a lot else, the end is strong to w the ‘dreams never come true’. The video is v interesting, I’d rate the music 7.6

Myzozoa

then another tie on 7.7

Snype

Ratm-fuck u i wont do what u tell me

Very self-indulgent on the intro. Lyrics are good, but why do all their songs sound the same to me? 7.7

Walrein

Killing in the name of-rage against the machine

Classic track, a band that isn’t exactly my fav, but does a lot of work. Upon listening to this again still not my thing. 7.7/10

Myzozoa

next a tie on 7.8
first

martin

The dicks-hate the police

Martin originally subbed the clash, but i made him ressub. He has done well here to find a band that sounds exactly like the clash. This is a great song lyrically, but im skeptical of the version you’ve sent. 7.8/10 i think a different cut of this one could have been scored in the 8-9 range.

then

Tcr

The strokes-nyc cops

A different look from other submits, definitely not hip-hop and not quite an old school punk track either. The lyrics are interesting if not especially angry i guess. 7.8/10

Myzozoa

and a tie on 8 pts

Alfons

Cop killer-john maus

Good backgrounds. Lyrics are repetitive. Thematically appropriate, but im not going crazy for it, filed in the same category as ‘working class hero’, songs I would consider performing as encores because they are easy and have a good theme. 8/10

Lg

Run the jewels-Close Your Eyes And Count To F*ck

8/10, hard to catch the lyrics sometimes and at times the lyrics aren’t my fav, but thanks for digging this one up.

Myzozoa

then on 8.1

Dle

Black boys on mopeds-sinead o’connor

Pretty good until the last verse 8.1/10, a bit melodramatic and pitiful for me.

Myzozoa

and next on 8.2

Soul fly

Kendrick lamar-alright

My boi kendrick lamar, but he’s really all over the place on this long track. The video is v interesting, 8.2/10

Myzozoa

and on 8.3

Shubaka

G.L.O.S.S. - Give Violence A Chance

8.3/10 ticks all the boxes, screaming is well done, but not my thing, wouldn’t listen to it more than the 3 times I did for this cat, the ending as amazing, worthy of the pixies.

Myzozoa

Knights

Dead kennedys-police truck

Strongish intro, not into the last line of it...not into the singing when it starts up, good thing the guitar is strong enough to carry it, but it really isn’t consonant, and it plays on campy minors and ends on a tritone or something super dissonant idk if it is a tritone, but i checked and it is. kind of seems like theyre trying hard to be edgy on the ending. 8.4/10 it was more interesting than good sounding, but still a lot there.

Myzozoa

and a tie on 8.5
Aladyyn

Gogol Bordello - Not A Crime

Im skeptical, but this may also be the strongest submit of the round outside of the subs i had to pander cap. Definitely the most interesting compositions and one of the strongest lyrically too. The ‘drop the charges’ line in the chorus is bae, but there are campy parts and the lyrics are marred, for me, by some type of appeal to a concept of nature or the natural that is presented in historical terms that is slightly basic, but reasonably presented here. 8.5/10

and rodan

Rodan

Nma-the hunt

Super strong bass on the intro, but then the disappoint singing. The lyrics arent that interesting, and the singers’ melody is kind of bad or maybe he just cant sing his line or it his vocal fry annoying me, either way i like this one a lot better whenever he isnt singing, all the parts where he doesnt sing leave the guitar fully exposed to do perfect things without being muddled up. 8.5 the first part is pretty lame with the singing, but then it’s all there when he chills out near the end, which is btw super indulgent when it comes. 8.5/10.

Myzozoa

and now a tie on 2nd

first up

tejas

Chamillionaire-ridin dirty

pander capped, thanks for saving me time. I cant really give this a 10, because specific songs like this obv are gonna get pander capped and i cant list all of them in an op. Lyrics are 10/10.

then

Mynameisnothing

Camp Cope - "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams" (Official Audio)

I love the autobiographical lyrics and relate, top lyrics and a much different sound selection than most of the other submits. This song could describe the trajectory of one of my closest friends in a rather amusing way <3. 9/10

Myzozoa

Eren

2pac-trapped

Typical 2pac intro, not my fav, but is fine. Lyrics are 10/10 and the beat is more serious than fun. I love the ‘all political prisoners’ graffiti in the prison cell in the video.

Myzozoa

and in last place
Soul fly

Jacob Collier - Hideaway

Ok the intro sounds suspiciously like tuning, and then theyre off I guess to some disjointed plucking. Harmony and beat seem suspiciously like they have NO IDEA WHAT THEYRE DOING. When the singer enters it is all confirmed. This reminds me of that time bjork made an album with timberland. Eventually some interesting harmonies that are sung badly and volume all over the place. Plucking guitars remain strained throughout and halfway through the aesthetic changes, but once again demonstrates a high degree of disorganization and lack of having a clue what exactly they are doing in this track. It sounds like people all trying to make a certain type of song at the same time with no understanding nor coordination. At 5:45 another aesthetic shift. Slightly more clue is on display in this section and if the ending isn’t good it is a relief. Long and too exposed. 2.2/10

Myzozoa

Aladyyn
Composition is fine but the vocals are unforgivable.3/10
IMMORTAL - Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark)

and then snype
got-winter is here
This worked for like 1 minute and then they kept on following the usual theme, terrible. 5+1 for the choral composition that worked 6/10

Myzozoa

Eren
Mindy Gledhill - Winter Moon
Lyrics too sentimental for me. Composition is well done however and lyrics finally serves something more sultry at the end. This was gonna get a 6, but the 3rd part of the song was much stronger than the first 2. 7/10

Myzozoa

and then

Walrein

VULFPECK /// Christmas in L.A.
Christmas in la sucks in my experience. This vocals are a little over the top for me for w

Myzozoa

and then

Pdc

Interpol-untitled

Nothing about this is interesting, i guess this is pretty inoffensive, but there isn’t much else to be said about it. There is some mildly interesting texturing at the end 7.3/10

Myzozoa

and

Lectrys

Diddy cong-walrus cove

Another attempt at the upbeat white-christmas vibe. The bass part is suprisingly super interesting and overall the consonant harmonies are better done on this track than any other submits 7.4/10.

Myzozoa

and the first full play dle

Dle

Grimes - Heartbeats
Slow beat and distant vocals to start off. Cant catch the lyrics too well. I would have liked more exposure on the vocals, the bridge and the end serves more exposure, but it’s thin overall. The very ending gives the strongest winter vibe of any section and shows a level of composition skills that are obfuscated by the distortion of the vocal melodies for most of this track. 7.6/10

Myzozoa

and then a tie on 8 pts

Tejas

Meat Loaf - Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer They Are
Ok singing on the intro but foreshadows a lot of sentiment, strong composition and style but a bit too quick to shift towards sentimentality for me. winter y vibes dont come until the middle, and it hits on the discomfort of familial abuse hard, which for many people is def a realistic experience of the memories the winter evokes. 8/10.

and alfons

Alfons

The Cocteau Twins - Ivo (1984)

Production reminds me of Let England Shake in the intro, but it becomes much more consonant which isn’t my thing, after a minute or so the aesthetic becomes more wintery with a contrast between chilly melodies with an overall ‘cozy’ instrumentation/composition. Overall can’t really get into the composition, the guitar lines are always really out of place for me with the overall tone. Singing is a solid 9, but the melodic contrasts are conflicting for me, not complimentary. 8/10 good attempt, but wouldnt listen to it on my own time.

Myzozoa

in 1st shubaka

Shubaka

Robyn & Röyksopp - Monument (Lyrics)
Robyn o.o call ur gf tell her that its not her fault. So long tho.dark lyrics. a great one to dance to 8.2/10

Myzozoa

ok I have 5 cats left to grade before this is over

here is what people are missing

i plan to finish this walrus by revealing 5 times before july:

Lord Gaius : cat 1, 2, 7-12
tcr : cat 7-12
Asek: 7-12
RODAN 7-12
eren 7-12
atomicllamas 7-12

please submit 7 and 8 asap so i can finish grading for 7 and move on to 8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)