OU Nasty Plot Salazzle (QC 2/2) (GP 1/1)

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Toxic
move 2: Sludge Wave
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Nasty Plot
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Corrosion
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in OU, most notably Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight. Its typing lets it switch into these Pokemon and threaten them immediately. It can also act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Toxic is crucial for punishing common switch-ins like Seismitoad, Dragapult, and, thanks to Corrosion, Toxapex. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to break through weakened walls like Rotom-H, Hippowdon, and Kommo-o. It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots is the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity and opportunities to switch in.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that setup Pokemon walled by these defensive Pokemon, such as Keldeo and Primarina, make excellent partners. Partners such as Clefable and Mandibuzz that can switch into faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon let Salazzle safely retreat against them. Clefable can additionally safely bring Salazzle in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off. Special walls that are not bothered by Toxic, such as Snorlax and Reuniclus, can safely come in on Salazzle, so teammates that pressure those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. Finally, teammates that appreciate the spread of status, such as Hex Dragapult and Gengar, are also very effective partners.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Boat, 475993]]
- Quality checked by: [[Ruft, 295110], [curiosity, 443485]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
things to remove in red, things to add in green, comments in blue (message me in case of color blindness)
[SET]
move 1: Flamethrower
move 3: Toxic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

It's nitpicky but you should change the move order to Toxic, Sludge Wave, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, since Toxic is by far its most important move (and Sludge Wave is more important than Flamethrower).

Nasty Plot Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in SS OU, but can act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Mention its ability Corrosion in this introductory sentence, since that's its main selling point. Flamethrower is a hard-hitting STAB move that lets Salazzle threaten Steel-types like Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Sludge Wave is similarly important for hitting Fairy-types like Clefable, Primarina, and Togekiss. You don't have to explicitly talk about what the Pokemon's STAB moves hit in a preview analysis. This combination of STAB types makes Salazzle very effective against the common defensive cores in the tier. Explicitly talk about how its typing allows it to abuse Clefable. Toxic is crucial for threatening Toxapex; poisoning Toxapex is a game-changing play that should be prioritized if Toxapex is in the battle. While Toxapex is definitely a great target for Toxic, this sentence makes me believe it's the only one. You should say that Toxic threatens defensive answers like Toxapex (Seismitoad is another major one you should mention, but at the end of the day almost any switch-in is a good Toxic target). Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to sweep clean once its checks are removed or weakened. "Sweep" isn't really wrong but I think "clean" is more accurate. It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison it them with Toxic. The EV spread and Timid nature are chosen to maximize Speed and damage. No need to talk about a max/max spread in a preview analysis either. Heavy-Duty Boots are the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex means that sweepers walled by Toxapex make excellent partners. You should once again make this more general and talk about defensive Pokemon rather than Toxapex alone, though it's true that Toxapex is the primary one. Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo or Primarina make good choices, letting them sit behind a Substitute while Toxapex is eventually forced to switch out. Salazzle is threatened by most Pokemon faster than it, especially those that can switch into its Fire- and Poison-type coverage. Choosing partners that can switch into Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, let Salazzle safely retreat. Finally, because Salazzle can't afford to use Black Sludge, clerics such as Clefable and Sylveon are is useful to safely bring it in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off or Trick. Salazzle can in theory run Black Sludge with Substitute so it's better leave the part about Black Sludge out. Sylveon is very niche currently, just mentioning Clefable is fine.
Snorlax and Reuniclus are great answers to Salazzle so teammates that help with them would be good to talk about too.
I'd like to take one more look once this is implemented.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Ruft implemented except for removing the part about black sludge; i was told SubToxic should be written as a different set
Nah, we don't consider SubToxic worth a write-up so this'll be the entire Salazzle analysis.

[SET]

Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in SS OU, but can act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Corrosion is crucial to Salazzle's success; being able to poison Steel- and Poison-types is a unique quality that clearly defines Salazzle's role in the tier. I think you can just leave this sentence out and add "thanks to its uniqe ability in Corrosion" in the first sentence. Sludge Wave and Flamethrower are STAB moves that are particularly useful against the common defensive cores in the tier. While it's true that it threatens the likes of Clefable and Corviknight, most teams do have one of Seismitoad or Toxapex that can wall its STAB moves, so I think you can just leave this sentence out as well. Most notably, Salazzle is able to take advantage of Clefable using its Poison / Fire typing. Toxic is crucial for threatening common switch ins like Toxapex, Seismitoad, and Dragapult. Poisoning Toxapex is a game-changing play that should be prioritized if Toxapex is in the battle. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to clean once its checks are removed or weakened. It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots are the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that sweepers setup Pokemon walled by these common defensive Pokemon make excellent partners. "Sweepers" makes me think of fast aggressive threats which is not exactly the case here, I think "setup Pokemon" does a better job at describing these partners. Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo or Primarina are especially good choices, letting them sit behind a Substitute while Toxapex is eventually forced to switch out. Salazzle is threatened by most Pokemon faster than it, especially those that can switch into its Fire- and Poison-type coverage. Choosing partners that can switch into Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, let Salazzle safely retreat. Unconventional special walls that are not bothered by Toxic such as Snorlax and Reuniclus can safely come in on Salazzle and are not bothered by Toxic, so teammates that abuse those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. Snorlax and Reuniclus have picked up some traction in recent times so I wouldn't really call them "unconventional". Finally, because Salazzle can't afford to use Black Sludge, Clefable is useful to safely bring it in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off or Trick.
One more thing I'd like to see added here is Hex Dragapult as a potential partner, as it appreciates the spread of Toxic.
Good job, though I'd like to take one more look once this is implemented.

[SET]

Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans it would be nice if you could specify what it checks here instead of in its own sentence to help condense things in SS OU, thanks to its unique typing and ability in Corrosion. I know you said it yourself but this just feels awkward; I'd prefer it if you were to separate the points on its defensive utility and offensive utility; personally i think that a sentence on its what it does defensively and then a point about what it does offensively through corrosion + stabs would be ideal here, but that's just me. Most notably, Salazzle's typing lets it take advantage of Clefable. It can also act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Toxic is crucial for threatening common switch ins like Toxapex, Seismitoad, and Dragapult. Poisoning Toxapex is a game-changing play that should be prioritized if Toxapex is in the battle. To add onto what I said above, the poisoning pex thing can be reworked to flow better with its offensive presence. Same applies to the clef mention here, but also add mentions of corviknight here since that's another big mon that usually can't touch you. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to clean once its checks are removed or weakened. I disagree with this mention since lazzle for the most part is being used as a breaker, so you'd want to use it to pressure stuff that normally comes in on it comfortably, such as Rotom-H, Kommo-o and Hippowdon.

It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots are the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that setup Pokemon walled by these defensive Pokemon make excellent partners. Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo or Primarina are especially good choices, letting them sit behind a Substitute while Toxapex is eventually forced to switch out. Salazzle is threatened by most Pokemon faster than it, especially those that can switch into its Fire- and Poison-type coverage.
Choosing partners that
can switch into Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, let Salazzle safely retreat. I feel like both of these sentences are pretty drawn out; merge those two points together and cut the italicised stuff out altogether.
Special walls that are not bothered by Toxic such as Snorlax and Reuniclus can safely come in on Salazzle, so teammates that abuse those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. I wouldn't say Dracovish can abuse these since now you're implying that Dracovish can easily come in on either which is definitely far from the truth; rephrase it specifically to "pressure" since that paints a more accurate picture of things. Teammates that appreciate the spread of status, such as Hex Dragapult and Gengar are also very effective partners. Finally, Clefable is useful to safely bring it in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off or Trick. Nothing really tricks it so ig just leave this mention at knock?

Not stamping this quite yet, ping me once you've implemented everything

Ruft

OU Leader
curiosity implemented except for changing cleaner. Ruft specifically used that term and I think its appropriate.
I'd say Salazzle can act as a cleaner in certain late-game scenarios but when talking about Nasty Plot I agree with curiosity that it's moreso used to allow Salazzle to function as more of a mid-game breaker making that term more appropriate there.

[SET]

Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in SS OU, most notably Toxapex salazzle is not a pex counter, Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight. Its unique Fire / Poison typing idk whether this still applies to this gen given different c&c standards so this will mostly be a personal gripe, standards still exists, so implement this 100% but I'm really not a fan of spewing out dex info since it really doesn't add anything worthwhile; stating the typing is pretty useless; ig it wouldn't hurt to phrase it like "salazzle primarily servers as a wallbreaker that is able to switch into the threats it counters" or something like that. Sorry for changing my mind about this but it just sounded weird and unnecessarily drawn out.lets it threaten the Fairy- and Steel-types, while Corrosion lets it poison Toxapex with Toxic. It can also act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Toxic is crucial for punishing common switch ins like Toxapex, Seismitoad, and Dragapult. Merge the corrosion point w/ this since separating them feels unnecessary here. I'd also like to see a huge emphasis on being able to pressure pex in particular since that's a huge part of its niche and should reflect that. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to break through weakened walls I gave you examples to include here, please actually implement them; i've said this like what three times now but there's no point in including this if you don't actually expand on stuff... It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots are the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that setup Pokemon walled by these defensive Pokemon make excellent partners. Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo just refer to this as keldeo since choiced keld sets are basically dead atm or Primarina are especially good choices, letting them sit behind a Substitute while Toxapex is eventually forced to switch out. Choosing partners that can switch into faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, lets Salazzle safely retreat. Special walls that are not bothered by Toxic, such as Snorlax and Reuniclus, can safely come in on Salazzle, so teammates that pressure those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. Teammates that appreciate the spread of status, such as Hex Dragapult and Gengar, are also very effective partners. Finally, Clefable is useful to safely bring it in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off.

small tyler.gif

2/2

e:
please for the love of god use the correct formatting and include credits.

amcheck
Add Remove (Comments)

This is written super well. I know it means nothing coming from me, but gj
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in SS OU, most notably Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight. Its typing lets it switch into these Pokemon and threaten them immediately. It can also act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Toxic is crucial for punishing common switch ins like Seismitoad, Dragapult, and,(AC) thanks to Corrosion, Toxapex. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to break through weakened walls like Rotom-H, Hippowdon, and Kommo-o. It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots is are the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that setup Pokemon walled by these defensive Pokemon such as Keldeo and Primarina make excellent partners. Keldeo and Primarina are especially good choices. Choosing partners, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, that can switch into faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, lets Salazzle safely retreat. Special walls that are not bothered by Toxic, such as Snorlax and Reuniclus, can safely come in on Salazzle, so teammates that pressure those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. Teammates that appreciate the spread of status, such as Hex Dragapult and Gengar, are also very effective partners. Finally, Clefable is useful to safely bring Salazzle in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
careful with the spacing between sentences, almost all of them had one too many
add remove (comments)
[SET]
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Salazzle primarily functions as a counter to the many defensive titans in SS OU, most notably Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight. Its typing lets it switch into these Pokemon and threaten them immediately. It can also act as a late-game cleaner if given the opportunity to boost. Toxic is crucial for punishing common switch-ins (AH) like Seismitoad, Dragapult, and, (AC) thanks to Corrosion, Toxapex. Nasty Plot enables Salazzle to break through weakened walls like Rotom-H, Hippowdon, and Kommo-o. It is also very useful for forcing defensive answers like Toxapex and Seismitoad to switch in, giving you the opportunity to poison them with Toxic. Heavy-Duty Boots are is (all items are singular no matter what) the item of choice, giving Salazzle more longevity over the course of its switch ins and opportunities to switch in.

Salazzle's ability to poison Toxapex and other walls means that setup Pokemon walled by these defensive Pokemon, (AC) such as Keldeo and Primarina, (AC) make excellent partners. Keldeo and Primarina are especially good choices. Choosing partners Partners such as Clefable and Mandibuzz that can switch into faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, (RC) such as Clefable or Mandibuzz, (RC) lets Salazzle safely retreat against them. Clefable can additionally safely bring Salazzle in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off. Special walls that are not bothered by Toxic, such as Snorlax and Reuniclus, can safely come in on Salazzle, so teammates that pressure those Pokemon, such as Dracovish, are good partners. Teammates Finally, (AC) teammates that appreciate the spread of status, such as Hex Dragapult and Gengar, are also very effective partners. Finally, Clefable is useful to safely bring Salazzle in with Teleport and heal off any chip damage Salazzle takes, especially should its Heavy-Duty Boots be removed by Knock Off. (moved this towards the beginning of the section closer to when you first mention clefable)

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)