Metagame National Dex Monotype Suspect 2: Old Town Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

:ss/spectrier:

Suspect Test Reasoning

Spectrier is an amazing offensive Pokemon with the ability to snowball very quickly. Its high Speed stat allows it to outspeed a majority of the metagame, while its ability Grim Neigh paired with Nasty Plot allows its Special Attack to rise very quickly. Spectrier can take advantage of all these qualities and can take advantage of its Z-Move, primarily using Never-Ending Nightmare, which after a Nasty Plot boost has enough raw power to OHKO Ghost-resistant Pokemon such as Hydreigon while also being able to blow past any Pokemon without an immunity or resistance to its Ghost-type STAB moves. The few and far Ghost-resistant Pokemon available in National Dex Monotype also allow it to run a more defensive Calm Mind variant that allows it to set up easily on defensive Pokemon. This set is extremely hard to take on due to the fact it cripples physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, takes on special attackers better thanks to Calm Mind, evades status with Substitute, and fires off Hex, which is boosted by its ability to spread status with Will-O-Wisp. Both sets are, thus, able to put a ton of pressure on popular balance-oriented types like Water, Flying, and Steel, leaving them on a steep disadvantage should the few viable Ghost-type resists not be run largely to check Spectrier. While more offensive teams are able to pressure Spectrier more easily by potentially revenge killing it, they're just as well pressured by its access to Will-o-Wisp, which cripples most physical attackers, or by a powerful Never-Ending Nightmare that is able to OHKO frailer targets like Tapu Bulu and Mega Diancie even when unboosted.

While all of these qualities may seem great, Spectrier only has access to Ghost-type STAB moves as its real attacks, meaning Normal- and Dark-type Pokemon can wall Spectrier by default. Frailer Dark-type Pokemon such as the aforementioned Hydreigon or Greninja have to be careful of the Z-Move, but aside from that, they can handle Spectrier well. Due to this, if you encounter one of these types or run across a Dark-type such as Galarian Moltres on a Flying team, there is little that Spectrier can do. This makes Spectrier a very matchup oriented Pokemon; however, it usually rewards the user due to the fact that a variety of types do not have access to viable Normal- or Dark-type Pokemon, forcing them to solely rely on revenge killing Spectrier through faster Pokemon such as Mega Aerodactyl or Choice Scarf users such as Latios. Overall, this makes Spectrier an interesting and unhealthy presence in the tier; while it does have its checks, they are few and far in between. Because of all these reasons, the National Dex Monotype Council has voted to suspect test Spectrier.

Suspect Test Information
  • This suspect test will count towards the new tiering contributor badge!
  • Reading this is mandatory to participate in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 79 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 79 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 83. Also, doing more than 50 games to reach 79 GXE will suffice.
  • GXEminimum games
  • Spectrier will require a 60% majority of voters in favor of banning it in order for it to be banned from National Dex Monotype.
  • You must use a fresh account that begins with the given prefix for this suspect test. That prefix is NDMS. For example, I could signup and qualify with the name NDMS Staravia.
  • You may not impersonate or mock another user with your account name. If there is any slight hesitation, you're probably better off picking a different name. We reserve the right to null your voting requisites if you are found impersonating or mocking another user with your account name. Also, please use appropriate ladder names, if we find inappropriate names your suspect reqs will be invalidated. Moderator discretion will be applied.
  • If you are found trying to manipulate voting requisites in any way, you will be met with a harsh infraction. Manipulating voting requisites ranges from faking your screenshot to asking another user to forfeit.
  • The Pokemon that's being suspect tested, Spectrier, will be allowed on the National Dex Monotype ladder for the next two weeks so that we can properly assess its position in the metagame.
  • This suspect test will last until Wednesday, March 24th at 11:59 PM GMT-5.

Last edited:
Suspect Test Rules
  • You are required to make sure that whatever you are arguing for is in-line with the Tiering Policy Framework. If what you're arguing for isn't, there's a very high chance that your post will be deleted.
  • No uninformed one liners or posts;
  • No discussion on other potential suspect tests;
  • No discussion on the suspect test process.
  • Your posts are expected to be respectful, please do not insult anyone.
  • If you fail to follow these rules, you may be infracted without any prior warning.
If there are any questions, feel free to PM myself or maroon. If there are any questions about the moderation of this thread, you should feel free to PM the moderation team.

Last edited:
:ss/spectrier:

Spectrier is a Pokemon that has caught my attention and a lot of people's as well because of how it has been identified to be a very overwhelming Pokemon, pressuring many teams with its Ghost STABs. While Spectrier wasn't as praised as much when the Crown Tundra was released due to its severe lack of coverage moves, Spectrier has proven to be much more than a Ghost-type with limited coverage, and it even has some useful utility moves of its own. With Dracovish being banned and Spectrier recently getting suspect tested, I would like to offer one of my rare discussion posts about the horse.

:spectrier: RUNDOWN :spectrier:

Spectrier is easily one of the most threatening offensive Pokemon to reach National Dex Monotype. As months have passed since Crown Tundra's release, more and more people have been adapting to this thing. Its sky-high Special Attack, fascinating Speed tier, and ability Grim Neigh allow it to devastate many Pokemon that don't resist its powerful Ghost-type moves, outspeed a ton of unboosted threats, and potentially snowball out of control, respectively. Many types that lack a sturdy Ghost-type resist, like Electric, Steel, Water, and Ground, are all constantly pressured by Spectrier as it makes the matchup against Ghost teams even more difficult to deal with. This is especially true due to the fact that in Monotype's context, teams are only restricted to one type. Spectrier is most commonly seen using three sets: Will-O-Wisp with Calm Mind, Nasty Plot with Ghostium Z, and Choice Specs. Spectrier is able to quickly wear down teams using Will-O-Wisp + Hex, Calm Mind, and Grim Neigh, making it difficult to handle, while Nasty Plot + Ghostium Z lets Spectrier break through walls like Heatran and Celesteela with ease. Choice Specs can be used for more immediate damage versus types like Steel and Water.

Ever since the release of Crown Tundra, people have expected Spectrier to be a very underwhelming Pokemon due to its most notable trait holding it back: its lack of coverage moves. Because of this, Spectrier is typically handled by Dark- and Normal-types. However, while Spectrier only really relies on its STAB moves to deal meaningful damage to the opposing team (as well as Hyper Beam and Mud Shot), Spectrier's coverage moves are practical enough to cripple even its usual checks. With Will-O-Wisp, physical Dark-types like Mandibuzz, Urshifu-S, and Mega Tyranitar have the power of their attacks reduced while taking chip damage from burn. This not only leaves them worn down during a match, but gives Ghost teams the advantage by making them easier to deal with. Once these Dark-types are weakened enough, Spectrier can successfully pick them off with Hex and gain a very useful KO. Z-Hyper Beam is also an option to beat switch-ins to Spectrier like Diggersby and Hydreigon, especially after a Nasty Plot boost. Frailer Dark-types like Bisharp and Crawdaunt must think twice before switching in on Spectrier as well, since they will be chipped for a decent amount of damage.

Here are some calcs that show Spectrier defeating Dark- and Normal-types:

+2 252 SpA Spectrier Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 309-364 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 428-504 (125.1 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Diggersby: 583-686 (187.4 - 220.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 513-604 (157.8 - 185.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Porygon-Z: 595-700 (191.3 - 225%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crawdaunt: 229-270 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 190-224 (70.1 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 187-221 (65.6 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, despite Spectrier's high Special Attack, great offensive typing, and useful utility options, it still holds some glaring flaws. Its Speed tier of 130, while very good, still leaves it outsped by a number of offensive threats such as Choice Scarf Excadrill, Barraskewda, and Alolan Raichu under Electric Terrain. Due to this, Spectrier should attempt to get rid of these Pokemon with its teammates before it attempts to sweep an entire team. Spectrier is also only restricted to Ghost teams. With a Will-O-Wisp + Hex set, Spectrier will need to rely on burning the opponent in order to get its maximized potential; this leaves it vulnerable to Pokemon that are immune to Will-O-Wisp such as Heatran, Mega Charizard X, and Volcarona, since it will need chip damage inflicted on them in order to achieve a KO. Using a Choice Specs set will also make Spectrier much less effective against walls like Celesteela and Mantine by not being able to set up on them with Will-O-Wisp, Calm Mind, and Substitute. Despite being able to cripple some of Spectrier's answers, it is still walled by a plethora of Dark- and Normal-types; namely specially defensive Tyranitar, Alolan Muk, and Blissey. Pursuit users like Choice Scarf Weavile, Tyranitar, Alolan Muk, and Mega Aerodactyl are also particularly threatening to Spectrier, since they prevent its ability to switch out and deal heavy damage to it. As a result, Spectrier will need lots of team support in order to deal with these threats, which brings me to my next point.

:spectrier: TEAM SUPPORT :spectrier:
:ss/mimikyu:

Mimikyu is a very potent partner with Spectrier, as it takes on Dark- and Normal-types for it such as Tyranitar, Mandibuzz, Hydreigon, and Blissey thanks to its Fairy-typing and access to Drain Punch. It can do this in a reliable way as well thanks to Disguise, preventing faster Dark-type Pokemon such as Urshifu-S, Greninja, and Hydreigon from being immediate threats.

:ss/sableye-mega:
Mega Sableye is an excellent defensive Pokemon to pair with Spectrier; Mega Sableye can prevent entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes from being set on the field due to Magic Bounce, while absorbing Knock Off for it. Mega Sableye is able to take on physical attackers that outspeed and threaten Spectrier such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Zeraora, and Choice Scarf Weavile, crippling them with Foul Play and Will-O-Wisp.

:ss/corsola-galar:
Galarian Corsola is another good defensive Pokemon to use with Spectrier, as it can take on many other physical attackers that Spectrier struggles with such as Choice Scarf and Sand Rush Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Swampert under rain thanks to its good Eviolite-boosted bulk. It can easily take advantage of them by crippling them with Will-O-Wisp, wearing them down with Night Shade, and weakening them with Strength Sap while gaining useful recovery. It also acts as Ghost's most useful entry hazard setter, setting Stealth Rock for Spectrier.

:ss/aegislash:
Aegislash's versatility allows it to run two notable sets on Ghost: SubToxic and Swords Dance. SubToxic Aegislash is useful as it can switch into special attackers like Choice Scarf Latias and Latios, Choice Scarf Nihilego, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele while spreading status with Toxic so Hex variants of Spectrier can sweep easier. On the other hand, Swords Dance can be run to pressure specially defensive walls like Blissey and Tyranitar with Close Combat.

:ss/blacephalon:
Choice Scarf Blacephalon is a neat revenge killer that can take on problematic Steel- and Grass-types like Choice Scarf Weavile and Zarude, along with a lot of other Pokemon that revenge kill Spectrier like Mega Lopunny, Zeraora, and Choice Scarf Excadrill.
:ss/gengar:
Gengar is a good offensive partner with Spectrier, as its Poison-typing allows it to take on Fairy- and Grass-types like Tapu Fini and Zarude, while providing useful utility by being able to remove Toxic Spikes from the field. Its Focus Blast coverage is also useful for Dark- and Normal-types like Hydreigon, Tyranitar, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z.

=========
[Ghost vs. Steel] https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexmonotype-1283816815

Here is a NDWC replay showcasing Spectrier in action. Once the opponent's (potentially) Choice Scarf Excadrill is gone, the Spectrier user completely takes advantage of the opponent by setting up on Celesteela using Nasty Plot and Substitute, proceeding to KO it with Shadow Ball. The match is done with as Spectrier outspeeds and destroys the entire opposing team.

[Ghost vs. Ground] https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1273983706-e649pj5aaq057v4uky3txnpjllsspg6pw

In this replay from the National Dex Monotype tour, Spectrier is shown tearing apart a Ground team by living a Knock Off from Choice Scarf Landorus-T, proceeding to click Shadow Ball, gain Grim Neigh boosts, and win the game by outspeeding the opposing team.
=========

:spectrier: CONCLUSION :spectrier:

Overall, Spectrier tends to be very frustrating for a lot of types to deal with. With a high Special Attack, great Speed tier, and Grim Neigh which further makes it a frightening sweeper, Spectrier can put in work in teams that are lacking a sturdy Ghost-type resist. It doesn't help that most Dark- and Normal-types cannot safely switch into a Z-Hyper Beam, especially after a Nasty Plot boost. Spectrier's team support is also what's keeping it dangerous; defensive partners like Mega Sableye and Galarian Corsola can switch into most attackers that revenge kill Spectrier, while offensive partners with Mimikyu and Gengar can deal with foes that Spectrier struggles against. While Spectrier isn't a perfect Pokemon, I think the positives outweigh the negatives and it deserves to be banned as a result.​

I just got my reqs, so let me provide some brief thoughts.

While it’s true that Spectrier has bad coverage, it doesn’t need it when STAB is only resisted by two types, Dark and Normal, the latter of which cannot threaten it at all offensively. There’s only a handful of Pokémon that can check Spectrier, namely Tyranitar, Mandibuzz, Alolan Muk, and Blissey ( Which is only usable on Normal ). It doesn’t help that these Pokémon are the only types avalible on Rock or Flying, so if these two go down or are severely weakened, it makes it much easier for Spectrier’s teammates to sweep. A situation that actually happened to me when I was laddering was when I used Mono-Flying team ( I did not have a Mandibuzz, and Ghost is a pretty shaky matchup for Flying since Mandibuzz is the only reliable Ghost resist, and my team did not have a Mandibuzz, making me rely on Celesteela to check certain set up sweepers. ) was that the Spectrier was at +1 and I was using my Dragonite to check it since in those Matchups, my team needs to use either Scarf Galarian Zapdos or Multiscale Dragonite to remove it. However, Spectrier then used Never Ending Nightmare on Dragonite, taking significantly more damage than I expected. That opened my team to being swept by Choice Scarf Blacephalon, which swept me in the end due to Dragonite being my primary Fire Check.

TLDR: Even if Spectrier doesn’t sweep you 6-0, it has the all the required tools to cripple your counters to the point that Spectrier’s teammates can sweep you on Non- Dark and Normal teams.

As a result, I will be voting ban on Spectrier.

Reactions: R8
Gonna put my cents here.

Spectrier is a monster, with its ghost typing, amazing 145 attack and a blazing 130 speed, and its checks being spread around types causing other types have no defensive types such as Fighting, Fairy, and Electric. While it does have offensive counterplay, its pretty much limited to dark and normal types, and even then Pokemon such as Blissey can't even touch it behind a subsitute, and having to dance on needles to switch into it an most likely having to sacrifice a pokemon which can be exploited with late game cleaners such as Aegislash Mimikyu and Blacepholonand Mimikyu I belive that Spectrier is too much for the tier, so I will be voting ban. (And I thought Dracovish was bad)

Reactions: R8
Just got reqs, so I'll post my thoughts.

I'm not going to completely go over the ban arguments above since a lot of it is filler (viz: spectier's teammates on ghost), but I'll provide additional analysis of what is being said.

First, we'll look at the two replays linked above.

[Ghost vs. Steel] https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexmonotype-1283816815

I mean this steel team is just weak to ghost. The lack of preparation for the matchup (no Bisharp for example) does not make Spectrier broken; ghost is generally a bad matchup for steel regardless. Having said that, if Celesteela got the 50/50s on flamethower/toxic correct, Spectrier would not have swept and would have been forced out by Scizor's bullet punch, or even trapped and killed with pursuit.

[Ghost vs. Ground] https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1273983706-e649pj5aaq057v4uky3txnpjllsspg6pw

Skipping to turn 20, the ground user has 4 mons alive to the ghost user's 2. At this point, the ground user could (if they choose to) play around Z-move by clicking U-Turn on scarf lando, which does around 20%:

252 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Spectrier: 62-74 (18.1 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Even assuming 2 min rolls, the ground user can afford to sac Mega-swampert and one of nido/gastro, and revenge kill safely with lando-T, winning the battle. The ground user chose not to play around Z-move and paid the price for it.

I just got my reqs, so let me provide some brief thoughts.

While it’s true that Spectrier has bad coverage, it doesn’t need it when STAB is only resisted by two types, Dark and Normal, the latter of which cannot threaten it at all offensively. There’s only a handful of Pokémon that can check Spectrier, namely Tyranitar, Mandibuzz, Alolan Muk, and Blissey ( Which is only usable on Normal ). It doesn’t help that these Pokémon are the only types avalible on Rock or Flying, so if these two go down or are severely weakened, it makes it much easier for Spectrier’s teammates to sweep. A situation that actually happened to me when I was laddering was when I used Mono-Flying team ( I did not have a Mandibuzz, and Ghost is a pretty shaky matchup for Flying since Mandibuzz is the only reliable Ghost resist, and my team did not have a Mandibuzz, making me rely on Celesteela to check certain set up sweepers. ) was that the Spectrier was at +1 and I was using my Dragonite to check it since in those Matchups, my team needs to use either Scarf Galarian Zapdos or Multiscale Dragonite to remove it. However, Spectrier then used Never Ending Nightmare on Dragonite, taking significantly more damage than I expected. That opened my team to being swept by Choice Scarf Blacephalon, which swept me in the end due to Dragonite being my primary Fire Check.

TLDR: Even if Spectrier doesn’t sweep you 6-0, it has the all the required tools to cripple your counters to the point that Spectrier’s teammates can sweep you on Non- Dark and Normal teams.

As a result, I will be voting ban on Spectrier.
I mean Spectrier teams are able to win games sometimes, that alone can't mean the mon is broken. Having said that, this seems more of a teambuilding issue than a "mon is broken issue": we choose what we are weak to in the builder. Choosing to forgo Mandibuzz (or for more offensive teams, moltres-galar) will naturally make the ghost matchup harder, and it is not surprising one can lose the matchup without a dark type. Having said that, if Spectier + Blacepheon is so important to check, there are multiple ways flying can handle this without necessarily running Mandibuzz or Moltres-galar--Mantine and regular Moltres can both serve as checks to Blacepheon if Dnite has taken too much damage, and on offensive teams, Mega-aero can serve as a secondary fire resist, who also has access to pursuit to kill Blacepheon if it tries to switch out.

Gonna put my cents here.

Spectrier is a monster, with its ghost typing, amazing 145 attack and a blazing 130 speed, and its checks being spread around types causing other types have no defensive types such as Fighting, Fairy, and Electric. While it does have offensive counterplay, its pretty much limited to dark and normal types, and even then Pokemon such as Blissey can't even touch it behind a subsitute, and having to dance on needles to switch into it an most likely having to sacrifice a pokemon which can be exploited with late game cleaners such as Aegislash Mimikyu and Blacepholonand Mimikyu I belive that Spectrier is too much for the tier, so I will be voting ban. (And I thought Dracovish was bad)
I'm confused. What do you mean by Fighting/Fairy/Electric don't have checks? Fairy has access to Mimikyu as a hard check (which also gives a hard time to ghost in general), as well as Grimm, while also having access to priority twave to ensure Spec never sweeps. Fighting has access to Urshifu, who not only beats Spectrier 1v1 but also forces a sac every time it gets in. Electric has access to banded Zeroza as a check, who also demands a sac from ghost thanks to banded knock off, and has access to a secondary check with Raichu in Electric Terrain. Moreover, these types all have enough offensive presence that Spectrier has a hard time getting in, and Ghost does Spectier no favors here as it lacks pivots.

I didn't see any ghost teams in my reqs run, but from what I can tell of other's reqs runs, it seems that some people tried to use the horse and had to switch to a different type. Combined with the fact I didn't see any ghost teams, this suggests that the type simply isn't that great in the current metagame. As such, don't think Ghost (and by extension, Spectrier) is overcentralizing or overpowered in the current metagame. I intend on voting DNB.

Just got reqs, so I'll post my thoughts.

I'm not going to completely go over the ban arguments above since a lot of it is filler (viz: spectier's teammates on ghost), but I'll provide additional analysis of what is being said.

First, we'll look at the two replays linked above.

I mean this steel team is just weak to ghost. The lack of preparation for the matchup (no Bisharp for example) does not make Spectrier broken; ghost is generally a bad matchup for steel regardless. Having said that, if Celesteela got the 50/50s on flamethower/toxic correct, Spectrier would not have swept and would have been forced out by Scizor's bullet punch, or even trapped and killed with pursuit.

Skipping to turn 20, the ground user has 4 mons alive to the ghost user's 2. At this point, the ground user could (if they choose to) play around Z-move by clicking U-Turn on scarf lando, which does around 20%:

252 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Spectrier: 62-74 (18.1 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Even assuming 2 min rolls, the ground user can afford to sac Mega-swampert and one of nido/gastro, and revenge kill safely with lando-T, winning the battle. The ground user chose not to play around Z-move and paid the price for it.

I mean Spectrier teams are able to win games sometimes, that alone can't mean the mon is broken. Having said that, this seems more of a teambuilding issue than a "mon is broken issue": we choose what we are weak to in the builder. Choosing to forgo Mandibuzz (or for more offensive teams, moltres-galar) will naturally make the ghost matchup harder, and it is not surprising one can lose the matchup without a dark type. Having said that, if Spectier + Blacepheon is so important to check, there are multiple ways flying can handle this without necessarily running Mandibuzz or Moltres-galar--Mantine and regular Moltres can both serve as checks to Blacepheon if Dnite has taken too much damage, and on offensive teams, Mega-aero can serve as a secondary fire resist, who also has access to pursuit to kill Blacepheon if it tries to switch out.

I'm confused. What do you mean by Fighting/Fairy/Electric don't have checks? Fairy has access to Mimikyu as a hard check (which also gives a hard time to ghost in general), as well as Grimm, while also having access to priority twave to ensure Spec never sweeps. Fighting has access to Urshifu, who not only beats Spectrier 1v1 but also forces a sac every time it gets in. Electric has access to banded Zeroza as a check, who also demands a sac from ghost thanks to banded knock off, and has access to a secondary check with Raichu in Electric Terrain. Moreover, these types all have enough offensive presence that Spectrier has a hard time getting in, and Ghost does Spectier no favors here as it lacks pivots.

I didn't see any ghost teams in my reqs run, but from what I can tell of other's reqs runs, it seems that some people tried to use the horse and had to switch to a different type. Combined with the fact I didn't see any ghost teams, this suggests that the type simply isn't that great in the current metagame. As such, don't think Ghost (and by extension, Spectrier) is overcentralizing or overpowered in the current metagame. I intend on voting DNB.
This argument that Spectrier isn't broken is flawed for multiple reasons. One your idea that people choose who too be weak to in the teambuilder, its a sign that a Pokémon is broken if instead you struggle against that Pokémon, that your well functioning team, that would work in any other scenerio loses straight up. Also lets put other sweeping ghosts in this scenario.

Gengar: Gengar is infamous for being one of THE most frail pokemon. Spectrier has actual bulk as 100/60/80 ain't a bad stat spread compared to Gengar's 60/60/75. While Spectrier can live attacks, and burn opposing threats with WOW not mentioning due to its superb 145 special attack it can actually run bulk.

Blacepholon: While Blacepholon has a outstanding special attack of 151 it doesn't even have nasty plot only calm mind which is somewhat less effective.

Also the fact that we are forced to use pokemon such as Moltres and Mandibuzz on flying is proof on its affect on the metagame.

Also while you didn't see ghost doesn't mean that its not good. Lets take dracovish for example. While it wasn't common on dragon it was still destructive there.

So yeah in conclusion this argument is good on paper but bad in practice.

Let's take it from the top.

This argument that Spectrier isn't broken is flawed for multiple reasons. One your idea that people choose who too be weak to in the teambuilder, its a sign that a Pokémon is broken if instead you struggle against that Pokémon, that your well functioning team, that would work in any other scenerio loses straight up.
This is a standard teambuilding tradeoff that happens in all tiers. There is no such thing as a perfect team, teams will struggle against different things. This is especially true in monotype where we are restricted to one type. My water team, for example, struggles with Rillaboom, that doesn't mean the mon is broken because of my choice not to run Sap Sipper Azumarill. Or my flying team might be weak to opposing magnezone + staka, but that doesn't mean either of these mons are broken because I choose not to run Gliscor.

Also lets put other sweeping ghosts in this scenario.

Gengar: Gengar is infamous for being one of THE most frail pokemon. Spectrier has actual bulk as 100/60/80 ain't a bad stat spread compared to Gengar's 60/60/75. While Spectrier can live attacks, and burn opposing threats with WOW not mentioning due to its superb 145 special attack it can actually run bulk.

Blacepholon: While Blacepholon has a outstanding special attack of 151 it doesn't even have nasty plot only calm mind which is somewhat less effective.
Spectrier is a mon with excellent stats held back by lack of coverage. Comparision with other ghosts doesn't work so well here, because Spectrier is naturally going to look better where secondary STAB and other coverage moves are unnecessary. That doesn't mean Gengar and Blacepheon are worse than Spectrier, as this is merely a situation where spectrier excels. Which mon is better against fairy with Toxic spikes from Weezing-Galar? Which mon is better against opposing ice teams with banded weavile? Each of these mons excel in a different situation, so it's somewhat misleading to imply Spectrier is substantially better than other special attacking ghost types because it happens to be better than the other ghosts here.

Also the fact that we are forced to use pokemon such as Moltres and Mandibuzz on flying is proof on its affect on the metagame.
I never said you were forced to use these mons; this is a strawman argument. I merely said that Moltres-Galar and Mandibuzz were worthy, viable options if you want to have a good ghost matchup. Without them, it's natural that flying will have a hard time against ghost; this remains true whether or not Spectrier remains in the tier. I also stated other ways to avoid autolosing to z-Spec + blacepheon if you're relying on Dnite to take on Spectrier, Mantine and Mega-aero being good examples. Obviously flying is not forced to use these either Moltres-Galar or Mandibuzz and I never implied otherwise; the ghost MU is still playable even if a bit unfavorable.

Also while you didn't see ghost doesn't mean that its not good. Lets take dracovish for example. While it wasn't common on dragon it was still destructive there.
There's not much discussion on Dracovish on the Suspect Thread, but given that on Water Dracovish gets Drizzle support, as well as pivot support by multiple flip turn users, teleport abusers, Volt switch Rotom, as well as U-turn Pelipper, it stands to reason Dracovish is probably much better on Water than on Dragon. Of course it was still good on Dragon, but was it broken there? It's doubtable at least.

So yeah in conclusion this argument is good on paper but bad in practice.
In conclusion, you should think before you make statements like "Fairy doesn't have a check to Spectrier".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)