Project National Dex Secret Santa 2022

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Building sessions has ended! If you have a team finished, even if you showed it to me or not, post it here in the thread along with a explanation and wishing the person you built for a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays!
I wish you all a Happy Holidays and hope you all spend time with family and friends! Now get to submitting those teams!

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
sealoo hiii omfggg i havent tested this team at all but TRUST its good :thumbs_up:

:slurpuff: :kingambit: :great-tusk: :cyclizar: :tornadus-therian: :gholdengo:

so likee basically i went for ho bc why not its a SLURPUFF and then i was like hmm this is walled by gholdengo (mid mon), so i tried out kingambit which beats non-focus blast gholdengo. can also switch in on dnite espeed sciz bpunch etc and also appreciates slurpuff heavily threatening faster sucker punch resists so u can freely setup n win w kingambit. great tusk is for rocks and dealing w steel n poison types that prevent slurpuff from using bdrum; can try glimmora in this slot bc it wears them down similarly but tusk gives u an offensive presence. cyclizar is p much just solid on most hos u put it on, free subs for setup yada yada, then i added torn bc not having a ground immune is just super dangerous and makes it harder to play around their ground types in general; it wears down mons like washtom heatran etc that would otherwise stuff slurpuff entirely n wears down fast sucker resists as well. gholdengo helps keep hazards up and is just a good filler mon overall

merry christmas!
we're gonna ignore what happened a few days before this.

Happy Holidays, 3MoreMinutes! You requested a Swords Dance Cinderace + Mega Latios team for NDUU. Ask and you shall receive. The animated sprites have the PokePastes linked in them.
:sv/Cinderace::sv/Latios-Mega:
Ok I'm not gonna lie to you I kinda hated making this build just because I thought the core was wonky and I think both mons are kinda mediocre breakers. But nonetheless, the build is complete.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega:
So first thing a wanted to get out of the way was closing any gaps in this core's defensive profile, looking for a mon was tough but a found a mon that synergized very well.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp:
Bisharp filled all of the holes the core had defensive issues with and also gave it more priority to handle. threats.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp::Tornadus-Therian:
Next you easily slot in Tornadus-T as a utility mon to pivot in your breakers and provide hazard control.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp::Tornadus-Therian::swampert:
Adding Swampert next forms a neat volt-turn core with Tornadus-T and gives you a hazard setter.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp::Tornadus-Therian::swampert::Orthworm:
Then finally you have Orthworm to from a hazard stacking core with Swampert and to provide the team with Shed Tail support.

:sv/Cinderace::sv/Latios-Mega::SV/Bisharp::sv/Tornadus-Therian::sv/Swampert:

Overrall this team does pretty well into the standard threats you see on ladder (Defog Comfey, Alolan Raichu, Kanto theme teams). Ok so ye this team kinda sucked against any team worth more than two Chilean Pesos. Most notably it had no switch in to Lele, rain, sun, a lot of prominent sweepers, etc.

Time to fix this team

:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp::Tornadus-Therian::swampert::Orthworm:
The first glaring issue I wanted to change was the awful rain matchup, since that can overwhelm the team pretty easily if you're not careful.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Bisharp::Tornadus-Therian::swampert::Tapu Fini:
Orthworm was an already pretty filler mon and therefore the most expendable in the teambuilding process. Fini give's me a considerably better matchup against rain and provides great support with whirlpool trapping sets.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Aegislash::Tornadus-Therian::swampert::Tapu Fini:
With no real Steel anymore, we absolutely needed to do something about the Lele matchup since that rolls through the team with relative ease. Replacing Bisharp with Aegislash gives me a better matchup overall while still filling most of the roles Bisharp had.
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Aegislash::Tornadus-Therian::Ting-Lu::Tapu Fini:
Next was to deal with the matchup again sun. Latios can beat Charizard Y for the most part but loses against the other sun breakers. Adding Ting-Lu over Swampert gives me more outs in an unfavorable matchup thanks to hazard setting, whittling down the breakers limited health, phazing with Whirlwind, and just being a fat ass unkillable pivot (the Ferrothorn of NDUU just without Leech Seed shenanigans).
:Cinderace::Latios-Mega::Melmetal::Tornadus-Therian::Ting-Lu::Tapu Fini:
With Ting-Lu on the team, It became clear that an offensive Aegislash was going to do poorly against Tapu Lele. Replacing Aegi with Assault Vest Melmetal is just the change I needed to help secure the matchup against Lele. Combine that with a Psychic immune from Ting-Lu, Fini shutting down it's terrain, and 3 mons that can outrun its Specs variants, and Lele will have a harder time handling this team.
:sv/Cinderace::sv/Latios-Mega::sv/Melmetal::sv/Tornadus-Therian::sv/Tapu Fini:
Building this team was a nice challenge, I hope you enjoy it 3MM!
:sv/Cinderace::sv/Latios-Mega::sv/Melmetal::sv/Tornadus-Therian::sv/Rotom-Wash:
:Rotom-Wash:+:Choice Scarf: gives you some speed control while compressing your defogging role. This gives Tornadus-T the ability to run Nasty Plot and go crazy. This team is also a bit less passive as a whole, but is a bit harder to pilot imo.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ChrisPBacon since i am such an amazing friend i built not 1, but THREE different versions (and one has sd cpao too since u asked for that if i was but i am not)

https://pokepast.es/3ee0d3a4092d8e8d 4a

https://pokepast.es/433b147628f59913 sd

https://pokepast.es/8d06c488af75e856 cpao

mega latias fucking SUCKS bro idk how people use it, sg mage however is super duper fire, ALSO ALSO ALSO spdef glimmora is THE SHIT in this meta, toxic everyone and every mage then you beat them, i think the sd vile or sd cpao version is the best but pick urself. flect type lati gets a lot of funny wins since u flect type on a mage and win the game, u can adjust some move sets (mainly glimmoras that is still v experimental) tspikes might work on it too but u do u. ily and merry xmas

ChrisPBacon

idola deus
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis the defending SM Circuit Champion
ok HI adem ty for the teams this is so cool i wasn't really sure whether i wanted to go for a more fat or offense approach so i ended up building both enjoy <33333333333333

https://pokepast.es/7960da33dfc4a750 - Gambit balance
basically here the aim is to keep hazards on the field so that ur abusers tornadus and dragapult can click buttons, dragapult also doubles as a spinblocker with bulk evs to take a max unboosted great tusk hrush in case ur like that. Gambit obv punishes any foggers and acts as a decent check to cpao and torn provided they dont have fighting coverage. Wanted to experiment with tangrowth a bit, given how good physical waters and grounds r rn i figured it would be nice to have a check to both altho maybe u can experiment with that slot

https://pokepast.es/2bd7bfc50a6858a8 - Gambit offense
ok kinda similar structure to the first one with the spin deterrent dragapult that abuses spikes, great tusk here is mainly for spin but also blanket checks a lot of physical attackers w/ helm and i wanted to try out mtios given heatran and weavile usage is down from last gen and not much really likes psychic/fire especially with spikes up.

Probably more comfortable with the second one but wanted to give u both anyway, love u heres to a great 2023 maybe we'll see a team that beats defog gliscor next year!

Happy Holidays setset77!

You asked me for a team around Mega Venusaur, and I'll attempt to deliver

:Venusaur-Mega: :Corviknight: :Gastrodon-East: :Zamazenta: :Heatran: :Kyurem:
Mega Venusaur + SubRoost Kyurem Balance
https://pokepast.es/b3b22349ab70a250

Mega Venusar, Gastrodon, and Corviknight all form a very strong defensive backbone, Gastrodon helping especially with the otherwise bad rain matchup, while Heatran, Zamazenta, and Kyurem all greatly appreciate having those three to fall back on against their checks.
It plays like a pretty standard balance, with Zamazenta as your main progress maker (it does that very well, trust me, lol.) But seeing as it's likely going to end up on the chopping block in the next banlist, you could swap it out for Banded Chien-Pao or something similar.

Mega Venusaur is a very interesting pick, and building around it was actually quite fun.
Again, Happy Holidays, and I hope you enjoy the team!

Last edited:
Sup Runoisch sorry for the wack core (Cinderace is good I promise just probably not SD). Yours was easier to build, although I do feel obligated to roast you for giving me Misty Terrain + Melm that specifically has a status move.

:SV/Tapu-Fini::SV/Melmetal::SV/Zamazenta::SV/Gastrodon::SV/Mew::SV/Dragonite:

The core was very standard and seemed actually viable, so I made it a bit wack. I'll post the interations of teambuilding:

:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal:
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Ting-Lu:
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Ting-Lu::Slowking-Galar:
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Ting-Lu::Slowking-Galar::Arctozolt:
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Ting-Lu::Slowking-Galar::Arctozolt::Latios-Mega:
"Wow this shit's ass and I have no fog and I used the mon that I asked for. I should restart" -Me
Here is the team if anyone cares

I wanted some actually good speed control and scarf Zama is faster than literally everything, so I started with it.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta:
Needed a ground type and there are like 3 ground types if we're being generous, so I did the usual and slapped the goat on.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta::Ting-Lu:
Defog next of course, I was feeling real creative so I put another underrated mon.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta::Ting-Lu::Tornadus-Therian:
Solo water resist Fini was scaring me, but I also had no Melm switch in. In hindsight this might have worked with Rotom-Wash, but I decided that I'd fit both with a speedy Gastrodon (shameless speed creep) instead of Ting-Lu.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta::Gastrodon:
I wanted to use spikes instead of Defog here, and it's weirdly hard to find a good spiker in this tier, other than Gastrodon/Ting-Lu. Decided I'd bring back Mew, which should be able to smack Torn after it's poisoned by Gastrodon, thanks to Psychic.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta::Gastrodon::Mew:
No ground resist yet and despite having 2 water types + a mon faster than everything except Skewda, I wanted more insurance vs broken rain.
:Tapu-Fini::Melmetal::Zamazenta::Gastrodon::Mew::Dragonite:
This is DD 2A Dnite here, but I wanted to switch up some sets. With ESpeed on Dnite I think you don't really need scarf Zamazenta, so it can be literally any of its broken sets. Here are a few versions, I linked my favourite (the 3rd) in the external sprites.
https://pokepast.es/c423ca95f87c5ee3
https://pokepast.es/2c1267da6b17b212
https://pokepast.es/91e3569ead1f19cc

Building this team has convinced me I am mentally unstable, because I somehow managed to make a very normal core into a weird team. Either way, I hope you enjoy both the team and the holiday period! I'll bring your team next roomtour I play you.

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
https://pokepast.es/906de9df9bf15dd8

Explanation is in the paste

Happy Holidays Kyo
Santa is here and he brought a truly disgusting team!

:SM/medicham-mega: :SM/tapu-lele: :SM/landorus-therian: :SM/dondozo: :SM/regieleki: :SM/ferrothorn:

https://pokepast.es/f3f92decd81542b5

Make no mistake, this is not an honest team. I’m taking full advantage of how busted Regieleki is and I have a few tools to facilitate that. Defensive Z fly Lando can pick off grass types for Regieleki. HP fire Ferrothorn wins mirror matchups and is the main safety net against Kartana. You shouldn’t have to Tera to OHKO Kartana but I set this to fire so you can use it against Mega Scizor or something. Donbozo is a glue Mon for the team and unaware is rly valuable in this meta. AV Lele sets up future sight for Regieleki, protects it from priority with terrain, and counters Tera grass Volcarona for the rest of the team. Finally we have the main Mon, trailblaze Mega Medicham. This is mostly just a wallbreaker in terrain for the team but if you can KO their sac with trailblaze and get a free speed boost, you could snowball into a sweep or just use the remaining turns of terrain to protect yourself from priority for potentially an extra knockout.

I hope you enjoy this one jawsome274 because I definitely enjoyed making it. Happy Holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)