Metagame National Dex UU Metagame Discussion - Porygon-Z Banned

Just a disclaimer, I'm writing this post on behalf of me, !!11!1!! and Niadev, and not the entirety of the council.

Us three have been building extensively over the last couple of weeks, and have been finding teambuilding getting more restrictive with each and every day. Simply put, there are way too many threats to reasonably prepare for. We think there are 5 main offenders of this recurring problem, and I will go over them in order of how problematic we think they are.

:diggersby::SS/Diggersby::diggersby:
Diggersby is just utterly ridiculous at this point. We were all thinking that this wasn't as bad, considering it can be easily revenged and had hard times coming in. Despite these 'downsides' of Diggersby, it really doesn't have much of an effect on its overall restrictiveness on the tier. Simply put, Choice Band has no switch ins. Normal + Ground STAB is just impossible to switch into, and the 'mons that can just get fucked over by Knock Off nevermind Solaris just invented Foul Play Diggersby and it just fucking 2HKO's Steela and I hate him for it. The only perhaps only form of defensive counterplay is Buzzwole who has a 77.7% chance to just straight up get 2HKO'd by CB Return WITH Leftovers recovery. This means that you have to rely on offensive counterplay, which is still really hard to accomplish. First is actually getting the offensive counterplay in vs Diggersby, which most of the time is after you had to sack something. Second is that a lot of offensive counterplay just gets cucked by CB Quick Attack if they're weakened enough, not to mention SD Quick Attack invalidates even more offensive counterplay. Like, what do you expect me to do vs this thing???? How you have to play vs this is just utterly insane and borderline impossible.

tl:dr It has no switch ins!

:venusaur-mega::SS/Venusaur-Mega::venusaur-mega:
Ever since offensive Mega Venusaur has been used more and more, we've been having problems with it. It's not like pivots don't exist, they do. Latias, Reuniclus, Moltres and Rotom-Heat have been generally the most used defensive counterplay vs it. The thing is really that, outside of Reuniclus, all those 'mons get pretty much invalidated as solid counterplay when Sludge Bomb will poison them. Sludge Bomb having a 30% poison chance means it's really easy to fish for poisons on these 'mons. And even then, outside of the aforementioned 'mons pretty much no good defensive counterplay exists. Celesteela can just lose to HP Fire considering the damage output (and even then, some Mega Venusaur run Knock Off), Jirachi also gets beaten by HP fire (and even then, Earth Power sets have not been super uncommon, as they have the ability to hit Chandelure and Alolan Marowak too). Don't even get me started on trying to revenge kill this absolute unit, as outside of the hardest hitting SE moves it's just not possible. This has been a massive strain in teambuilding and in practice as there's just very little consistent defensive and offensive counterplay.

tl:dr Checks get fucked by common hax and nothing can revenge it. Is very limiting and has very little downsides.

:diancie-mega::SS/Diancie-Mega::diancie-mega:
Mega Diancie is just also really hard to consistently handle defensively. Counterplay exists, sure, and they're relatively splashable too. Slowking, Scizor, Jirachi, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss. The absolute huge problem with this is, is that literally every single check is just 2HKO'd after literal minimal chip damage. This isn't hard to get, considering Mega Diancie has been the go to offensive Stealth Rocker in the tier. Diamond Storm / Moonblast / Earth Power is good enough coverage to hit practically the entire tier, but even then, options like HP Fire, Power Gem and other 4th slots like Calm Mind and Psychic are absolutely viable options as well and even further limit the counterplay Mega Diancie has. It can even come in on certain Pokemon for basically free and get a kill, like Moltres, Overheat Rotom-Heat, choice locked 'mons etc.
Offensive counterplay is absolutely there, with Bullet Punch Scizor, Aqua Jet Crawdaunt and Scarfers like Zarude, Infernape, Latias and Jirachi all being solid options to revenge a weakened Mega Dianice considering the overall lack of bulk. However, Diamond Storm having a 50% to raise your defense with +2 invalidates even some if this counterplay. For example, Scarf Zarude can not kill a +2 Mega Diancie with Power Whip.

tl:dr Mega Diancie needs very minimal chip to gets past its checks and counters outside of a very few select group of 'mons and can even invalidate some offensive counterplay because of Diamond Storm. I find this unhealthy and very restrictive.

:gyarados::SS/Gyarados::gyarados:
Gyarados is the same as Diggersby in the sense that defensive counterplay pretty much doesn't exist. Water / Flying / Grass is pretty much all you need in the tier to hit everything, which makes it pretty much impossible to defensively prepare for should it get a Dragon Dance up. So we're pretty much forced to play super aggressive vs Gyarados with Scarfers and faster 'mons do we not want to get swept by it. Now, this isn't absolutely horrible. Lots of Scarfers are faster than it, pretty much the majority, and can most of the time do this job pretty well.
The problem is just that the Gyarados user can simply attack instead of Dragon Dancing. Scarfers that would like to revenge, like Thunder Punch Infernape & Urshifu, Thunderbolt Latias, HP Electric Keldeo and Stone Edge Mienshao & Terrakion pretty much get fucked by any of its coverage moves outside of like Latias. Both sides are forced to play aggressive and always result in very uncomfortable 50/50's which most of the time should be in favour of the Gyarados user, considering it should be in vs something that it would want to beat / set up on. This makes it so a Pokemon that already has basically no defensive counterplay forced most battles into insane 50/50's should the Gyarados user not play like absolute garbage (which I'm gonna be honest, most people don't use Gyarados that well). Simply 'luring out the Z-Move' isn't a good argument considering this forces even more 50/50's and Bounce itself is still a fine move to use in a lot of situations.

tl:dr No defensive counterplay + forces a lot of 50/50's which isn't exactly the healthiest.

:jirachi::SS/Jirachi::jirachi:
It took a while but Niadev, Baker and I finally broke Jirachi. Mixed Z-Happy Hour sets accompanied with Psychic Terrain Indeedee has immense destructive power and pretty much no reliable counterplay. Jirachi flinches so easily through most of its checks it's absolutely insane. Not to mention +1 Expanding Force in terrain pretty much has no switch ins outside of immunities, and blows through a lot of checks like Moltres, Rotom Wash and Heat, as well as 2HKO'ing standard bulky Scizor. Last move is Thunder to nail the rest of the tier like Slowking and Steels outside of Terrain. Z-Happy Hour is just uncompetitive considering its solid bulk makes it so literally nothing can revenge from full outside of Scarf Punishment Weavile, and can just easily flinch through its checks.

I want to note that I don't want to necessarily ban all of these Pokemon. I just find them Pokemon that we should pay close attention to.

I want to also note that all these have been speculated and talked about for a long time now by us three, and have been playtested a shitload with over the last couple of days (maybe even weeks at this point). It always resulted in these 5 specifically being absolutely near impossible to deal with if you have to factor all of them in. We're hoping the tour will prove us wrong and will explore some options to maybe stop these Pokemon, but as of right now, I doubt we're not going to take action on at least one of these. We're still actively discussing within the council, where opinions are still divided as of now.
I hope the people in NDPL can maybe respond in this thread how they feel about these Pokemon specifically after everything has been said and done (or at some point, whenever you feel like it), as this will be the first time UU is getting a huge rise in playerbase and some feedback on the metagame would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day everyone!

Last edited:
National Dex UU

Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Scizor             |    9 |  56.25% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Krookodile         |    7 |  43.75% |  57.14% |
| 3    | Latias             |    6 |  37.50% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Jirachi            |    5 |  31.25% |  40.00% |
| 4    | Amoonguss          |    5 |  31.25% |  20.00% |
| 6    | Buzzwole           |    4 |  25.00% | 100.00% |
| 6    | Rotom-Heat         |    4 |  25.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Diancie            |    4 |  25.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Moltres            |    4 |  25.00% |   0.00% |
| 10   | Venusaur           |    3 |  18.75% | 100.00% |
| 10   | Weavile            |    3 |  18.75% |  66.67% |
| 10   | Rhyperior          |    3 |  18.75% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Aggron             |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Slowking           |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Celesteela         |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Altaria            |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Diggersby          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Bisharp            |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Urshifu-*          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Salamence          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Togekiss           |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Zarude             |    2 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Sylveon            |    2 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Drilbur            |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Gyarados           |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Infernape          |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Zeraora            |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Primarina          |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Toxtricity         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Klefki             |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Grimmsnarl         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Feraligatr         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Keldeo             |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Manectric          |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Indeedee-F         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Cobalion           |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Starmie            |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
Since we got usage stats from Week 1, I figured I'd post a bit of my thoughts about it.

:SS/Krookodile:
Krookodile finished being 2nd place in usage stats while still having a very solid 57.14% win rate. This is largely due to Krookodile being an amazing glue for teams right now, fulfilling the role of a Scarfer really well. It also packs nice resistances many teams could struggle to fit, such as a Dark & Ghost resist, while also being an Electric immune. It's able to Pursuit trap top tier Pokemon like Latias and Jirachi, which is super valuable for most teams out there right now. Weavile could also do this, but just doesn't have the same defensive qualities Krookodile offers. It's also solid as a HO lead with Rocks + Taunt as used by Martha (got owned by Drilburr though, yikes).
:krookodile::grimmsnarl::latias::bisharp::scizor::feraligatr: - Used by Martha
:krookodile::urshifu::latias::rotom-heat::weezing-galar::aggron-mega: - Used by Raj.Shoot ♫ ❤
:krookodile::manectric-mega::scizor::amoonguss::jirachi::salamence: - Used by pinkdragontamer
:krookodile::zeraora::slowking::togekiss::aggron-mega::latias: - Used by wild drud
:krookodile::venusaur-mega::rotom-wash::buzzwole::jirachi::primarina: - Used by Averardo
:krookodile::latias::scizor::amoonguss::diancie-mega::rotom-heat: - Used by 64 squares
:krookodile::celesteela::diancie-mega::scizor::salamence::amoonguss: - Used by baconeatinassassin

:SS/Buzzwole:
Buzzwole comes in and immediately steals the show with a fantastic 100% winrate while still having solid use overall (4 uses in total). This is due to the fact it's such a splashbale pick for most Balance / BO teams out there to blanket check most physical attackers in the tier. Scizor, Weavile, Krookodile, Urshifu, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Tapu Bulu etc. It's also the only Pokemon that can somewhat switch into Diggersby, as it lives +2 Return and can sometimes avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Return after Rocks (!!). This 'mon just does its job perfectly and it's definitely shown throughout Week 1 already. Looking forward to seeing this 'mon being explored more outside of just Defensive sets though!
:buzzwole::weavile::rotom-heat::latias::diancie-mega::jirachi: - Used by Niadev
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::scizor::latias::infernape::rhyperior: - Used by Pastel Rain
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::rotom-wash::jirachi::primarina::krookodile: - Used by Averardo
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::weavile::rhyperior::slowking::celesteela: - Used by ego tripping

:SS/Rhyperior:
Rhyperior was a Pokemon I didn't expect to see as much as I did, but I've got to say it's pretty good from the results we have. It's a good Rocker that beats the most common hazard remover in the tier, Rotom-Heat (also beats Defog Moltres), while still having an amazing offensive presence. It's a good check to certain threatening Pokemon right now that can sometimes be troublesome to check, such as Salamence, Obstagoon and Toxtricity. A Rocker that loses to Rotom-Wash isn't amazing, but its solid matchup vs other hazard remover + offensive qualities makes it a fine Pokemon.
:rhyperior::buzzwole::venusaur-mega::scizor::latias::infernape: - Used by Pastel Rain
:rhyperior::buzzwole::venusaur-mega::weavile::slowking::celesteela: - Used by ego tripping
:rhyperior::starmie::scizor::sylveon::amoonguss::rotom-heat: - used by faded love

Other interesting things to note:
:venusaur-mega: - Expected more usage out of this, but it still ended up with an amazing 100% win rate from 3 uses on out.
:celesteela: - An offensive Celesteela was brought w/ Energy Ball, which ended up being clutch to KO a Rhyperior from half and clean up. I personally think offensive Celesteela is an underrated pick as whole so I'm glad someone used it.
:drilbur: - this has 100% winrate and idk how to feel about it

Can someone explain to me why darm is nowhere to be seen in the viability rankings? Even though its speed isn’t great, it hits insanely hard, and can uturn out of checks like bulky waters.
Also is there a ND UU discord?

Can someone explain to me why darm is nowhere to be seen in the viability rankings? Even though its speed isn’t great, it hits insanely hard, and can uturn out of checks like bulky waters.
Also is there a ND UU discord?
Darmanitan is generally not worth using over other breakers in the tier such as Infernape and Diggersby, considering Darmanitan kills itself very quickly, doesn’t offer much utility and needs a lot more support in general.

NatDex UU is merged with the National Dex discord, https://discord.gg/RWzHR3R

Due to recent discovery it's been figured out that Galarian Slowbro can actually evolve into Mega Slowbro. This is due to the base Pokemon being the same species as regular Slowbro, thus it's able to mega evolve into Mega Slowbro. Another example of this, is that Mega Mewtwo X could mega evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y, cause they're the same species,

Basically, what I'm getting at, is that Mega Slowbro is indeed legal in National Dex UU. It should always have been ever since Galarian Slowbro dropped but no one was aware of this fact. Note that regular Slowbro is NOT ALLOWED.

And for people wondering, yes, Mega Slowbro is legal in NDPL, including the current week. This is because this isn't a recent change.

slowbro-galar.gif
:SS/Slowbro-Mega:

National Dex UU

Code:
| 1    | Scizor             |    9 |  56.25% |  33.33% |
| 2    | Krookodile         |    7 |  43.75% |  57.14% |
| 3    | Latias             |    6 |  37.50% |  66.67% |
| 4    | Jirachi            |    5 |  31.25% |  40.00% |
| 4    | Amoonguss          |    5 |  31.25% |  20.00% |
| 6    | Buzzwole           |    4 |  25.00% | 100.00% |
| 6    | Rotom-Heat         |    4 |  25.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Diancie            |    4 |  25.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Moltres            |    4 |  25.00% |   0.00% |
| 10   | Venusaur           |    3 |  18.75% | 100.00% |
| 10   | Weavile            |    3 |  18.75% |  66.67% |
| 10   | Rhyperior          |    3 |  18.75% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Aggron             |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Slowking           |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Celesteela         |    2 |  12.50% | 100.00% |
| 13   | Altaria            |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Diggersby          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Bisharp            |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Urshifu-*          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Salamence          |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Togekiss           |    2 |  12.50% |  50.00% |
| 13   | Zarude             |    2 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Sylveon            |    2 |  12.50% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Drilbur            |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Gyarados           |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Weezing-Galar      |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Infernape          |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Zeraora            |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Rotom-Wash         |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Primarina          |    1 |   6.25% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Toxtricity         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Klefki             |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Grimmsnarl         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Feraligatr         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Keldeo             |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Manectric          |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Indeedee-F         |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Cobalion           |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Starmie            |    1 |   6.25% |   0.00% |
Since we got usage stats from Week 1, I figured I'd post a bit of my thoughts about it.

:SS/Krookodile:
Krookodile finished being 2nd place in usage stats while still having a very solid 57.14% win rate. This is largely due to Krookodile being an amazing glue for teams right now, fulfilling the role of a Scarfer really well. It also packs nice resistances many teams could struggle to fit, such as a Dark & Ghost resist, while also being an Electric immune. It's able to Pursuit trap top tier Pokemon like Latias and Jirachi, which is super valuable for most teams out there right now. Weavile could also do this, but just doesn't have the same defensive qualities Krookodile offers. It's also solid as a HO lead with Rocks + Taunt as used by Martha (got owned by Drilburr though, yikes).
:krookodile::grimmsnarl::latias::bisharp::scizor::feraligatr: - Used by Martha
:krookodile::urshifu::latias::rotom-heat::weezing-galar::aggron-mega: - Used by Raj.Shoot ♫ ❤
:krookodile::manectric-mega::scizor::amoonguss::jirachi::salamence: - Used by pinkdragontamer
:krookodile::zeraora::slowking::togekiss::aggron-mega::latias: - Used by wild drud
:krookodile::venusaur-mega::rotom-wash::buzzwole::jirachi::primarina: - Used by Averardo
:krookodile::latias::scizor::amoonguss::diancie-mega::rotom-heat: - Used by 64 squares
:krookodile::celesteela::diancie-mega::scizor::salamence::amoonguss: - Used by baconeatinassassin

:SS/Buzzwole:
Buzzwole comes in and immediately steals the show with a fantastic 100% winrate while still having solid use overall (4 uses in total). This is due to the fact it's such a splashbale pick for most Balance / BO teams out there to blanket check most physical attackers in the tier. Scizor, Weavile, Krookodile, Urshifu, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Tapu Bulu etc. It's also the only Pokemon that can somewhat switch into Diggersby, as it lives +2 Return and can sometimes avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Return after Rocks (!!). This 'mon just does its job perfectly and it's definitely shown throughout Week 1 already. Looking forward to seeing this 'mon being explored more outside of just Defensive sets though!
:buzzwole::weavile::rotom-heat::latias::diancie-mega::jirachi: - Used by Niadev
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::scizor::latias::infernape::rhyperior: - Used by Pastel Rain
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::rotom-wash::jirachi::primarina::krookodile: - Used by Averardo
:buzzwole::venusaur-mega::weavile::rhyperior::slowking::celesteela: - Used by ego tripping

:SS/Rhyperior:
Rhyperior was a Pokemon I didn't expect to see as much as I did, but I've got to say it's pretty good from the results we have. It's a good Rocker that beats the most common hazard remover in the tier, Rotom-Heat (also beats Defog Moltres), while still having an amazing offensive presence. It's a good check to certain threatening Pokemon right now that can sometimes be troublesome to check, such as Salamence, Obstagoon and Toxtricity. A Rocker that loses to Rotom-Wash isn't amazing, but its solid matchup vs other hazard remover + offensive qualities makes it a fine Pokemon.
:rhyperior::buzzwole::venusaur-mega::scizor::latias::infernape: - Used by Pastel Rain
:rhyperior::buzzwole::venusaur-mega::weavile::slowking::celesteela: - Used by ego tripping
:rhyperior::starmie::scizor::sylveon::amoonguss::rotom-heat: - used by faded love

Other interesting things to note:
:venusaur-mega: - Expected more usage out of this, but it still ended up with an amazing 100% win rate from 3 uses on out.
:celesteela: - An offensive Celesteela was brought w/ Energy Ball, which ended up being clutch to KO a Rhyperior from half and clean up. I personally think offensive Celesteela is an underrated pick as whole so I'm glad someone used it.
:drilbur: - this has 100% winrate and idk how to feel about it
Hi I cant click on the exports on the teams used. How do I do ?

I would like to nominate Tyrantrum from UR -> C.

The main Tyrantrum's role in the UU meta is to check fire, dragon, and flying threats, like Rotom-Heat, Latias and Salamence.

Head Smash despite the low accuracy this is the most reliable move, and can check some threats like Rotom-Heat, and has a high chance to OHKO Diancie-Mega.
Outrage is useful to check Latias, and can 2HKO Urshifu-Rapid-Strike with a correct prediction.
Earthquake is useful against a bunch of threats. But being locked to it allows the opponent freely switch to a flying pokémon immune to ground moves.
Superpower can 2HKO Blissey and Terrakion, OHKO Bisharp, and has a high chance to OHKO Diggersby.

Choice Scarf is necessary to outspeed some really dangerous pokémon as Weavile, Starmie, and Gyarados.

Physically bulky: Beware of Buzzwole, Celesteela, Hippowdon, Sableye-Mega, Tapu Bulu, and Amoonguss which completely wall any Tyrantrum's attack. Skarmory also is a threat, be must be will not like to take a Head Smash in a switch in.

Faster Attackers: Infernape, Krookodile, and Jirachi can threat Tyrantrum, especially their Choice Scarf versions which outspeeds Tyrantrum.

PS: This is the first time I nominate a pokémon, so if this post is in a wrong place or does not meet the forum's requirements, please let me know and I will gladly fix it. Thank you!

Last edited:
The UU council has decided to have a Kokoloko vote after Shifts.

This might come as a surprise to some people, but many of the council have been noticing the extreme difficulty to build in this meta and the amount. There are too many Pokemon to prepare for, to the point you have to give up counterplay to something and hope you don't run into it. Simply put, the meta is just not in a healthy state anymore.

Thus, the council has decided to vote on a slate of Pokemon yet again, and the voting will occur slightly after shifts. The list of Pokemon that will get voted looks like this:
:SS/Diancie-Mega: Diancie-Mega
:SS/Diggersby: Diggersby
:SS/Gyarados: Gyarados
:SS/Jirachi: Jirachi
:SS/Salamence: Salamence
:SS/Scizor: Scizor
:SS/Venusaur-Mega: Venusaur-Mega
:SS/Xurkitree: Xurkitree

Discuss here what you think should stay / get banned. I heavily encourage people to post their thoughts on this considering this will be one of the most important slates this tier has held so far.

Have a nice day!

The UU council has decided to have a Kokoloko vote after Shifts.

This might come as a surprise to some people, but many of the council have been noticing the extreme difficulty to build in this meta and the amount. There are too many Pokemon to prepare for, to the point you have to give up counterplay to something and hope you don't run into it. Simply put, the meta is just not in a healthy state anymore.

Thus, the council has decided to vote on a slate of Pokemon yet again, and the voting will occur slightly after shifts. The list of Pokemon that will get voted looks like this:
:SS/Diancie-Mega: Diancie-Mega
:SS/Diggersby: Diggersby
:SS/Gyarados: Gyarados
:SS/Jirachi: Jirachi
:SS/Salamence: Salamence
:SS/Scizor: Scizor
:SS/Venusaur-Mega: Venusaur-Mega
:SS/Xurkitree: Xurkitree

Discuss here what you think should stay / get banned. I heavily encourage people to post their thoughts on this considering this will be one of the most important slates this tier has held so far.

Have a nice day!
While I agree that Venusaur Mega and Xurkitree should be moved up from an unbiased standpoint I really don't think the rest NEED to go up. MAYBE Jirachi is really flexible and hard to predict dealing with the rest are really easy to deal with. People just need to look at the less obvious answers to deal with them. I also still feel like Bliss should be UUBL but that's me, especially if scizor dips. I personally think Scizor is balanced, same with Gyarados (but I can see why people don't think he's balanced). Diancie is a mon I've never had any trouble with because I use Mega Sceptile a lot. Scizor also just balances well. I don't think taking them away will be good for the meta. Salamence also gets ohko'd by ice shard really easily so, there's that too.

idk I'm just spitballing at this point. Ik I'm basically the drunk in the NDUU bar who just spits out mindless nonsense but I thought voicing my opinion would be a good idea.

Ok so huge disclaimer I am not a good player I have not been playing a lot recently I am not nearly as familiar with this tier as someone who should be given that I have been playing since 2019 pretty much.
But with that out of the way I'm going to give some real quick thoughts on these mons.
:ss/diancie-mega:
This one is the second least bannable for me. I feel like naturally I can fit on a few checks(usually Celesteela or Jirachi) and pivot around it quite nicely. It also is easily revenged by scizor and weavile and its not very bulky either-I can see why its on this list I just don't agree with banning it so hopefully it stays.
:ss/diggersby:
At first I was quite skeptical about this, having played a few games after skarm was banned. I mainly played vs band and i noted how easily it was to not let it in but I've been running into quite a lot of voltturn diggersby + diggersby SD w/ qa is very annoying. It can be punishing if it mispredicts but I am very much leaning toward ban.
:ss/gyarados:
Yes please. The strain this thing puts on the builder is insane. I always ending up slapping on a washtom then remembering oh wait this thing gets power whip and I end up having to fit multiple checks, its just not fun to play against a gyarados with a free turn. Almost nothing can take this thing on 1v1 but if we do end up banning this we end up paying some collateral damage in the form of mega gyarados but I think thats a worthy sacrifice.
:ss/jirachi:
This is absolutely not ban worthy. I never end up looking back and saying oh shit I can't break this thing-its not like its not a good defensive glue because it very much is. It's just flat out not ban worthy, doesn't strain the builder and is very healthy for the meta.
:ss:/salamence:
This has been dominant pretty much since the beginning of uu. Decent speed tier combined with a good attack stat and decent movepool + once of its main checks in skarm getting banned is pretty huge. With that being said I have been using wisp rotoms a lot more because I very much like it so while I definitely won't mind this getting banned I am also skeptical of banning this were I on the council.
:ss/scizor:
No. While I can see while one would want this gone it absolutely is not ban worthy. You can very often naturally fit checks onto teams such as heattom, moltres, and celesteela and while it can be quite terrifying it is also a pain for a scizor to get around these 3, and it also be offensively pressured by mons that resist bullet punch such as infernape and keldeo.
:ss/venusaur-mega:
I talked to and heard a lot of the views from the council that mvenu was broken especially from the newer council members (congrats btw) but I genuinely do not feel like this is banworthy. It can be easily pressured with rocks and 8 synth pp + while nothing bar reuniclus switches in it has a lot of things that can break it such as latias reuniclus moltres infernape etc. I am leaning toward no ban but I think I can be convinced either way.
:ss/xurkitree:
I have 0 experience playng against this.
One more small point why is latias not on this list? I feel like it is prety much the most dominant mon in the tier and while I personally would not ban it I think it deserves a spot on the list.

It is time for a Niadev Essay. The mons are in no particular order.

:diggersby:
Clearly the most busted out of the lot imo, not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said. Band is absolutely stupid and almost impossible to switch in on (Avalugg is the absolute closest thing to a true counter), you legit don't even need futureport if rocks are up, and SD on screens HO is pretty nasty with +2 priority. Foul Play (thanks Solaros) also turns Steela from a mon that can switch in to Knock Off once and get 2hkod by Return the next time it comes in into a mon that straight doesn't switch in once unless it gets the predict right and comes in on a STAB. I will be voting Ban, if you couldn't tell.

:gyarados:
This thing was fine until Urshifu stopped being the tier's undisputed best scarfer (and has become a somewhat mediocre one nowadays). Most of the better scarfers nowadays fail to kill it from full, mandating you have rocks up or have chipped it prior for most of the others. It is very difficult to deal with it defensively while it still has its Z move around (MAggron and MAlt are your best bets, the latter of whom doesn't want to take +1 Z Bounce and the former can't really do anything besides Toxic without ditching the ability to check Scizor or Stealth Rocks), meaning you either have to predict the Z (which isn't healthy) or revenge, which as established is pretty hard. Not to mention if webs are up revenging isn't an option, and no priority we have RKs from full. Not unmanageable, it's just that meta shifts have been really kind to it to the extent that it's just not a healthy mon and probably the second most broken of the 9. Probably gonna vote Ban. Might suck a little to lose MGyara but honestly Mega Gyara isn't super great rn, what with Buzzwole being amazing and its base form just being straight better 9 times out of 10. Still kinda scary on screens but that's all really.

:salamence:
I personally don't think this thing is broken right now (though that will probably change after DLC 2 lmao). Unlike Gyarados, it has no good STAB after it blows the Z, meaning it is much easier to handle defensively, considering Earthquake and Fire Fang/Blast are its best offensive moves otherwise. While it can theoretically blow past the Rotoms that check Flyinium with Dragonium, this leaves it more open to Buzzwole, who always takes one hit from +1 (even from Fire Blast) and OHKOs with Ice Punch. It's scary to face, don't get me wrong, but it's a mon that is way better on paper, from my experience, as +1 Earthquake and Fire Fang is just not strong enough to deal with most mons, and it is neutral/SE to much more of the common priorities - band BP does a ton, Ice Shard is a RIP, etc. It also doesn't have the same overwhelming presence as Gyarados, and struggles to get setup opportunities. For the time being, I'll be voting Do Not Ban.

:diancie-mega:
I don't personally believe Mega Diancie is strictly broken (though it is absolutely near the border) but it is pretty oppressive to build for. If you're not packing Jirachi, Slowking, Bronzong or Sylveon (which actually isn't too bad rn, surprisingly, if in part because of defensive switching into MDia fairly reliably), there aren't many reliable defensive options that aren't a few percentages from being 2HKOd by Diamond Storm or aren't 2hkod (or almost OHKOd in Scizor's case) by coverage. Celesteela would be a counter if it weren't for its lacking recovery and how close it comes to being 2hkod by Diamond Storm. Don't get me wrong, this is nowhere near to the extent of Mega Gardevoir (who could cripple or circumvent many of its SIs), but it's still noticeable.

The thing that puts this thing near the border for me is the difficulty it has coming in and its dependency on being the right coverage moves to win, not to mention that while technically not a lot switches in 100%, there are several acceptable pivots into it (at least depending on coverage), and revenge killing it isn't particularly difficult (though Diamond Storm defense boosts can complicate matters). Unlike Mega Gardevoir who felt like it came in 4-5 times in a typical Balance game, Mega Diancie feels more like 2 or 3.

Overall, however, due to its constrictive effect on teambuilding, I will probably be voting Ban. I wanna run Sciz on a team without Slowking again :[ (no this isn't a real argument, which I probably shouldn't need to explain but never hurts to be safe)

:xurkitree:
Open up the dictionary right now and turn (or scroll) to "uncompetitive", and you'll probably see this thing listed as a prime example. Z Hypnosis oftentimes feels like a 60% chance to win the game, and this is especially exaggerated when it is on a webs team. Choice Scarfers used to be enough for it (besides webs but Heattom eats one from +3 anyways), which is why I thought it was fine before, but then Baker had to go ahead and invent Bulkitree, which survives most of the scarfers in the tier while losing minimal firepower (and that thing about Urshifu no longer being this meta's Scarf God that was on like 90% of my teams). Aside from Z Hypnosis, TG 3 attacks is still nigh impossible to answer defensively, and can even run stuff like Shuca or Air Balloon to negate Krook's attempts to RK it. Ironically probably one of the least oppressive threats due to the lack of much you can do to reliably beat it. I'll probably be voting Ban.

:venusaur-mega:
N_Mareanie brought offensive back from gen 7 :[. In all seriousness, this thing has been a top threat for a long time, and, while extremely annoying, didn't cross the line to broken status due to a few fatal flaws. While not as passive as Amoonguss, Defensive is reliant on getting a Poison to punish switchins, not to mention Synthesis' poor PP and MVenu's lack of passive recovery tending to get it worn down in the long run. Several very prominent Pokemon also break it, such as Latias, Infernape, NP Heattom, Moltres, CB Scizor (specifically DWB), Starmie (offensive), etc. and putting it in range of non more 'dedicated' breakers isn't particularly tough due to the aforementioned easiness to wear down. I will admit, however, that it can definitely be annoying to prep for at times, and it is probably the one defensive mon I sometimes feel like I have to outright prep for to break.

However, Offensive MVenu resolves its passivity issue and turns it into the definition of a tank. While it is still easy to wear down, almost none of its breakers want to switch into it (well they didn't want to before but especially not with offensive), meaning it goes from a slog to break to being a dangerous prediction game every time it comes in, as one Sludge Bomb poison can put your breaker in 2hko range, and it's not weak by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention, it still retains enough bulk to check most of what it wants to, though it does lose out on beating a few strong physical breakers. On the basis of the Offensive set alone, I am probably going to vote Ban.

:jirachi:
Like Xurkitree, this thing is listed as an example in the dictionary definition of "uncompetitive", though not in the "get a roll and autowin" sense that Xurkitree is. The only set I see as being worth banning it for is Z Happy Hour, as this takes its uncompetitiveness to the extreme. The attack boost and bulk boosts make flinching everything to death much more realistic for it (as it needs to get less flinches to kill), and gives it a much bigger margin for error if it gets haxed and doesn't flinch (isn't it funny how not flinching is technically hax?), as not a lot OHKOs it with defense boosts, and what does is either relatively niche (Zarude) or is slower than it and gets flinched. The Expanding Force Z Happy Hour set in particular takes this to its extreme, as Expanding Force with a boost in terrain is pretty strong, OHKOing most of the offensive metagame and Iron Head flinching through what it doesn't. Of course, it needs more support from much more niche mons than phys Z Happy Hour but I've both seen and used it and if the terrain is up and it can Z Happy Hour, it usually just wins.

:scizor:
I get why some people have asked for it to be on the list - it's borderline impossible to defensively check every Scizor set in one mon, and can be definitely be a scary sweeper. And honestly, I feel like it may be a little bit broken. However, I just don't feel like it's worthy of a quickban. Sure, a 100% defensive counter to Scizor doesn't really exist, but it's not like counterplay is insanely limited like with, say, Gyarados. SD Dual Priority may be very difficult to offensively check besides Heattom, Urshifu and Moltres, but that particular set loses to a majority of its defensive counterplay. SD 3 attacks may be difficult to answer defensively 100% reliably, but most offensive BP resists can manage it. I am absolutely for a suspect in the future, but quickbanning it right now is not the move, in my opinion, especially as the other bans may alleviate the difficulty in checking it. For now, Do Not Ban.

Finally, a bonus order of how broken/unhealthy/uncompetitive it is, from most problematic/broken to least (left to right).

Diggersby :diggersby: > Gyarados :gyarados: > Xurkitree :xurkitree: > Venusaur-Mega :venusaur-mega: > Diancie Mega :diancie-mega: > Jirachi :jirachi: Probably Ban | DNB Scizor :scizor: > Salamence :salamence:

Last edited:
Hello! I place Semi Finals in the UU tour so I think I'm qualified to discuss this slate. The top of this list is what I think its the most banworthy and the bottom is what I think is the least banworthy. These are my own thoughts so here we go.

:diggersby:

When Skarmory left the tier this thing no longer needed Magneton support to make the best out of its SD set and now it could fit on more teams and basically destroy ever playstyle. I don't like how every offensive team needs a Ghost faster than it to reliable revenge kill it. Good luck trying to catch that Lati on the switch with Chandelure when your facing Diggersby who can kill you like 5 times over. I would probably ban this thing.

:gyarados: :gyarados-mega:

I like scarf Rotom-W just for Z-Move Gyarados........... With Skarmory gone we now have barely anything to that can reliable deal with this thing. I know it kinda wants Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Fly, Power Whip, and Substitute on the same set but holy shit it can be too late to find at times. The fact that it can also Mega evolve and surprise Mega Aerodactyl who thought it was safe is also annoying. I would also ban this thing.

:venusaur-mega:

I've been saying this since the Manaphy metagame. Mega Venusaur is crazy hard to deal with. Sometimes I would rather make ridiculous double switches solely to prevent it from getting a chance to recover health. While it did slow down when Tyranitar entered the tier, it then left and then Mega Venusaur became insane again. Now with offensive sets popping up it can now cripple its checks pretty hard and now I think its entered the point where I think it deserves a suspect.

:jirachi:

I would like to see some tournament results for the Z-Happy Hour before making a conclusion about this thing. Its sounds nasty on paper but it can only been shown on the big stage before I can say its broken. I say this because it would suck for a Pokemon that provides many defensive utility to a teams in a healthy way to be spoiled because of this specific set.

:diancie-mega:

My biggest issue with Mega Diancie a lot of time it needs too much chip. Because of its awful defensive typing a lot of mons can take a hit and kill it back. combine that with pretty bad 4mms in Psychic to hit Amoonguss + Mega Venusaur and HP Fire so Scizor can't switch in and destroy any momentum you had. I think Mega Diancie is best played on DragMag teams as a general all out attacker. But as someone who spammed that archetype I don't think its broken at all.

:scizor:

I think most teams naturally find ways of beating Scizor without even noticing it. Many common pokemon can deal with it. Rotom-H, Rotom-W, Celesteela, Urshifu-RS, Scarf Jirachi, Chandelure and list goes on. Not to mention many teams styles have adapted by running Magneton (which also traps Celesteela) which means Scizor can honestly struggle to figure out what it has to do to make the most out of itself.

:salamence:

Without that Steel resistence Salamence kinda pales in comparison to Gyarados. Pokemon like Celesteela, Rotom-W, and Scizor make sweeping with this thing hard. I've experimented with Scarf Moxie sets and they're like ok but not really something I can say is consistent. With all this in mind I don't think Salamence deserves any tiering action.

:xurkitree:

This thing is way too inconsistent for me to think its broken. While it has the potentially to change outcomes of entire games it has so many things that can halt it from completely dominating games. even at +1 its still slower than scarfers like Krookodile, Urshifu-RS. So Xurkitree is kinda force to run with Webs. This already restricts building with it. But even if you don't factor the scarfers who are immune to webs and Mega Aerodactyl it still hates all the non BP priority running around because this things bulk is actual dogshit. If you have manage to over come these hurdles then congratulation you are one of the very few people who have managed to pull this feat off. Xurkitree does not deserve a ban.

I also think Slowking is a issue because of the fact it can nullify defensive counterplay to many scary threats like Urshifu-RS and Breloom.

Alright thats my rambling done. Make sure to wash your hands folks!!!!

I really feel like it's the time for me to express some of my thoughts real quick (it took one hour lol)
:diggersby: : QB --> Broken as usual. When I heard about its existence, I was pretty sure that would be too much for the tier. It may have the same profile as a Mawile-Mega but is in reality way more unhealthy. It would be different if it hadn't options like foul play, fire punch, and knock off. We can't even talk of meta restriction as it wrecks it. I don't want the meta to become offense land.

:gyarados: Z : QB --> Whereas the Mega is totally walled by mons such as Buzzwole, the Z one is deadly since NDUU ladder is splashable. Most of the steel isn't a pain to deal with to the point of bringing Magneton, and with the current meta, you don't see a lot out of zor/steela/rachi/steelix. It forces all teams to run a scarf with tpunch, therefore Urshifu is my favourite scarfer. As previously said, Gyarados isn't about just clicking DD and sweep. If it catches your Urshifu on the switch, it can set up later in the game, and then the game is over. Its coverage makes it quickbanworthy compared to mence.

:venusaur-Mega: : DNB & suspect test --> I agree with the fact that it restricts building a lot, but not in an unhealthy way at all. It's too useful to check a lot of the physical threats within this tier, and an excellent check to mon like Diancie (besides it can run Psychic). There are enough checks to it, we can question its number of counters on the other end, but on the one hand enough mons that can go through it and that the most important in my opinion. Even if I have concerns about the future of the tier if defensive staples like Buzzwole, Alty, Blissey, Amonguus, are dropped by Venu, I think that the departure of GyaraMence would make Venu too much of a pain to deal with so why not a suspect.

:Diancie-Mega: : DNB & opinionless about suspect test --> Diancie is to me the 2nd best fairy in the tier behind Alty. Magic Bounce, Rocks, Insane STABs and coverage, one of the fastest viable non scarfed mons, it has everything to act healthily in this tier. It has enough checks to keep the builder flexible, it can be revenge killed by most of the scarfers and faster mons. Its future is heavily linked to Venu's and Rachi's ones.

:Jirachi: : DNB & opinionless about suspect test --> This mon is very important when coming to a defensive approach. Offensively speaking, I'm not aware enough of what its true potential, but from all the creativity spread by players, it becomes harder and harder to deal with. Besides its defensive utility, I'd let the community decide whether a suspect test is needed or not.

:Scizor: : DNB & opinionless about suspect test -->It's a mix of what I said to Jirachi and to Venusaur. More than that, like in SM, Scizor regulates the metagame. Offensively and defensively speaking. Like a Landorus-T. It can pivot, rk, checks things, set up and clean, break, defog, roost. Even if its offensive presence is often overwhelming, gen7 learned us how to consistently check it. What should be restricting is now a habit we usually do with. Taking it out from this meta would make offense way stronger.

:Salamence: : DNB & opinionless about suspect test --> Basically it does the same work as Gyara but with less results. It's way easier to check it or to rk it compared to gyara because its movepool is weaker than Gyara's one. It's useful to have this sweeper tho as the defensive staples of this tier are a pain to go through.

:Xurkitree: : DELETE YOUR NOMINTATION --> Nah, I won't talk about it.

Last edited:
Diggersby is obviously broken, and I really don't have anything to add about it.
Gyarados is also extremely limiting. I run scarf Krook to revenge it, but then you have to guess if it's mega or not, and running both stone edge and cc means you can't run pursuit or rocks. Gyarados is simply too limiting on teambuilding.
Mega Diancie is extremely good offensively, but having a terrible typing and dying to every form of viable priority somewhat restricts it. That being said, getting the chip necessary on checks and safely switching in isn't all that hard with the amount of good pivots in the tier, so I'm not sure whether this is banworthy or not.
As Sagisolar said, it would really really suck if a mon that has a multitude of healthy sets and one broken one were banned, so I hope Jirachi stays.
xurkitree is stupid. If you lose your scarfer and priority mon, this thing automatically has a 60% chance to win games. with z-hypnosis though, this thing is pretty manageable, so I'm not sure about this one either.
Everything else has pretty much been covered by the people before me.

Thoughts on the mons in the Kokoloko Slate:

:ss/Diggersby:
This one I feel is one of the two true unhealthy mons in the tier. Diggersby runs with two main sets being CB or Swords Dance. Choice Band is the embodiment of click buttons and gain results. This set alone forces the opponent into extremely uncomfortable 50/50 scenarios, and if the opponent chooses the wrong option they are taking literally half health. Foul Play hitting Steela for half health creates a scenario in which Diggers is able to click return on every switch in after because of Steela's lack of reliable recovery. Quick Attack allows Diggersby to clean up "weakened" enemies from absurd health ranges (Ex. Latias takes 47 on a low roll from QA) and allows it to somewhat play around offensive counterplay. Swords Dance on the other hand is just an all around fantastic wincon on offense. I don't think much has to be said about a mon at +2 with Huge Power along with high base power stab moves and priority. Voting Ban when da time comes.

:ss/Gyarados:
Remember when I said Diggersby was one of the two? Well this one is the second mon. Gyarados just like Diggersby is a mon that forces extremely uncomfortable 50/50 scenarios. You have to predict if Gyarados will Z your switch in or simply DD again and become even harder to revenge. Defensively you have very limited options, which are Malt (dies to +2 Z Bounce), Maggron (not hard at all to wear down throughout a match) and Rotom-Wash with a grass resist berry (probably the best option in my opinion). Offensively this is much easier to check seeing how we have plenty of scarfers that can outpace after a single dragon dance and revenge with a super effective hit IE Scarf Keld (HP Elec), Latias (Tbolt) and Krook (Edge) respectively. Though in a lot of scenarios you're forced to run a scarfer that can outpace Gyarados after a single DD since it's the safest option. I do not find this mon healthy in the slightest as it requires you to really be put in uncomfortable 50/50s to even succeed vs it or slap on a scarfer made specifically to counter Gyara. Voting Ban when the time comes.

:ss/Xurkitree:
This mon has honestly been in this tier for too long. The sheer uncompetitive nature of this mon is insane. On webs specifically this mon instantly kills half your team at the very least if it hits Hypnosis and gets a TG. Under webs and with my very epic creation Bulkitree you're able to survive most scarf revenge killers that can avoid webs. With 124 investment in your HP you're able to live scarf Latias Draco after rocks which is the opponents best way to revenge this demon if they have a scarfer since webs does webs things to grounded scarfers. This mon has many more sets from TG 3a with Electrium, Zap Plate and Shuca but those are not what make this mon uncompetitive imo. What pushes this mon is simply the fact u can sleep and win. The main flaw is 60% accuracy, but imo I don't think that is a justified enough reasoning to keep this mon in the tier. A mon of this caliber that can win simply off luck and not off SKILL is stupid. I will be voting Ban when da time comes.

:ss/Venusaur-Mega:

Defensive Venusaur has many issues (Nia highlighted those issues very well), but Offensive Venusaur is a whole different story. The passivity of this mon basically disappears cause it hits fairly hard and pressures most switch ins with a sludge bomb poison. Not to mention this mon has some honestly pretty fantastic options when it comes to moveslot options. You can of course run the standard 3 attacks synthesis set, but there are some flexible options here. You have Earth Power which hits Rachi harder than HP Fire and still dents offensive Sciz variants hard, you have Sleep Powder>Giga Drain for team support and you have Knock for Steela. There are probably more but these are the few that stand out to me. Not to mention Venusaur retains it's fairly impressive bulk, albeit not as bulky but still serviceable along with that fantastic defensive typing. I am on the fence with this mon but I am leaning towards Ban.

:ss/Jirachi:
Basically what I said about Xurk but much less severe. This mon has many sets but the main set I feel put this mon on the watch list were the Z Happy Hour variations. Which were incredibly strong late game threats and were nigh unkillable from full. Most "checks" can easily get flinched to death by Iron Head cause of Serene Grace and the mixed Z Happy Hour takes advantage of your normal "checks" like Moltres and Rotom-H by clicking a terrain boosted expanding force and Ohkoing. This mon I am 100% on the fence about and I will probably have my mind made up fully when it's time to get the voting done.

:ss/Diancie-Mega:
Diancie is a mon I feel isn't broken. Not in the slightest, but I do feel it puts a good deal of strain on teambuilding. It has major coverage issues, but even a said containing something like "Rocks, Diamond Storm, Moonblast and Earth Power" is particularly bad on it's own. Some of the defensive answers like Zong and Steela aren't exactly the most reliable ones due to lack of true recovery. Jirachi and Bulky Sciz are your best all around answers to Diancie defensively I find. It's also not too hard to check offensively, but some of that gets thrown out the window if you get +2 defensive with Diamond Storm. An example is that Scarf Zarude can't ohko with whip anymore and it becomes a 2hko. I don't have too much to say on Diancie since I feel it's somewhat healthy. I might be voting DNB but idk atm.

:ss/Salamence:
It's basically Gyarados but worse in basically every way. This mon is much easier to check offensively and defensively, and has some movepool issues. I do think that Z Outrage is the best set but that leaves you walled by Malt (Body Slam) and Buzzwole (which cucks with ice punch) while Z Fly leaves you hard walled by rotom appliances which can wisp and leave you set up bait. It can get revenged by banded BP after rocks and ice shard from weavile. It's strong yeah but it has WAY too many faults to be ban worthy imo. Easy DNB

:ss/Scizor:
Scizor I agree is very hard to check defensively, but IMO Sciz is not an issue at all in the current metagame. If you're able to scout a Scizor early game you can easily find some route of counterplay throughout a match due to each sets faults. Band can be played around with defensive options like Moltres (hates knock) and stuff like Heattom and Buzzwole. While stuff like Bulky Sciz can be pressured fairly easily due the lack of offensive presence without a SD boost. It has other issues imo like Band having some coverage problems as you really like to have Pursuit for Latias but you also would like to have Knock to deal with Moltes and Heattom. In some instances you want DWB to nail Venusaur and Buzzwole. I do think a lot of these issues are definitely a "state of a metagame" issue for it and Sciz will only get better from here on out. Who knows it might become an issue in the future, but it's not an issue rn IMO. So I will be voting DNB.

It is very late and I got bored so I made this post. And I need to change my name F.

Some thoughts on the mons being tested:

From all the Pokemon being tested, this is probably the one that stands out to me as the most broken. It completely lacks defensive counterplay, when you consider that Celesteela is not a switch in with Knock/Foul Play running around and that it doesn't matter how much defense you invest in Hippowdon (a 108/118 bulk Pokemon, to put some context), it still has very very low chances to tank 2 Earthquakes from CB Diggersby and it does absolutely nothing to it in return. Fast Rotom-Wash/Heat seems like a nice choice to beat it as it's able to tank a Return and Will-o-Wisp it the next turn. That is not quite the case. You need to invest 100 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant, which of course lower your chances to take on LO Return + Quick Attack and if it's Jolly you can say goodbye. Not quite consistent, also considering its only way to recover health if Diggersby switches out is Pain Split. This Pokemon is absolutely unhealthy for the tier, needs 0 support to beat all walls in the tier and should be quickbanned immediately.

This mon has it too easy. With Intimidate Dragon Dance is far too easy to pull on far too many Pokemon, although you still reach a speed benchmark where common scarfers will still be able to do the cleaning job rather easily. The problem is that there is low defensive counterplay here too. I feel like the mega of this Pokemon isn't quite as problematic as its base form, as this thing can easily run Z-Fly to beat Venusaur-Mega/Buzzwole that otherwise beat its other variants, Power Whip to beat Rotom-Wash that otherwise beats its other variants and so on. You don't know what Pokemon in your team can beat your set and you don't really have the time to scout as after 1 DD it will attempt sweeping, I have also seen Moxie variants that take advantage of common switches to Zmove them and sweep on the spot at +2 (but I feel like Intimidate is much worse, proving to be a great asset along with your defensive typing to take very little damage from everything non tpunch infernape, scizor and urshifu-rs can throw at you). Maybe this thing can be suspected rather than quickbanned, but I feel like it doesn't deserve such a privilege.

This mon is definitely not as dominant as it was when webs were all over the place and Hyper Offense steamrolling everything in its path, but I still feel like it's not too healthy. Its most common sets are Z-Hypnosis and Scarf. The first one, which also packs one of the most broken setup moves in the game, Tail Glow, has very good chances of sweeping many unprepared teams on the spot after Hypnosis hits, the enemy sleeps more than one turn or leaves the battlefield and you are able to Tail Glow. But the other, ineffective part of this set is that it must only rely on 2 moves to hit the entire tier. Tbolt + hp ice offers a nice bolt beam combo, but it cannot OHKO defensive presences such as Mega Venusaur because of Thick Fat (although this is not a consistent check at all, only Sludge Bomb can 2HKO but +3 Bolt 2HKOs in return, so Giga Drain is actually the better option as it makes you heal up after you hit it to tank its other Tbolt, sadly you need 200+ special attack to make Giga Drain a 2HKO on 0 BULK Xurk, meaning it will still win if +3 no matter the EVs). It doesn't get revenge killed easily by priority due to its Bullet Punch resist and Diggersby's Quick Attack doing up to 62% to no bulk variants, nor many scarfers have a STAB that reliably kills it. 252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Xurkitree: 249-294 (81.1 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Not too sure on what to make of this information, but I feel like it's definitely not as bad as, let's say, Diggersby, although it likely deserves at least a test.

This Pokemon has 0 switch ins once again. Offensive variants by now outnumber the defensive ones, but matter of factly you can very easily run either depending on your team's needs. There's no good Pokemon that doesn't fear something from this thing. Latias looks like a nice choice to switch on any move it can do, but poison still hurts it, considering not too many Latiases actually run Roost. As you need 3 attacks to reliably wallbreak on Latias and you want CM, those sets won't have roost and will get chipped very easily. Roost variants can still get pursuit trapped by Mega Venusaur's teammates, as Weavile is quite common paired with it. On paper Blissey takes nothing from Mega Venusaur, but good luck not being able to Toxic it, being forced to spam Seismic Toss and being PP stalled with fair ease as it just Leech Seeds you for a trillion health recovery. Giga Drain also heals it for like 20% when it hits Blissey if it's in for a quick meal. Scizor fears the omnipresent Hidden Power Fire and I've seen Growth sets do very well at beating Mirror Mega Venusaur. No matter what team you are running, you will likely not enjoy switching on this Mon unless you're playing Spdef Future Sight Pivot Jirachi that basically feeds on it like its whole life depends on it... but the point is that its existance as a set, which isn't even common, completely depends on Mega Venusaur's own existance. I would honestly say quickban this but I feel like a test will be more interesting, partly because I want to see what sets the tier will create to adapt to its existance.

These are the Pokemon I'd be in favour of a ban. Not speaking my mind on Jirachi as I still have not encountered even one offensive set, Mega Diancie is fine in my opinion and I think that for Salamence we will have to wait until Gyara's ban to see if it continues the water dragon's legacy. Scizor is, in my opinion, the most balanced of all of these. Of course it's good, but it acts like a glue with its different sets that give you priority to beat very threatening sweepers and a pivotal role for your own breakers.

I promised to post my thoughts on some of the slated Pokemon. I've finally get done so I'll do that now.

:sm/gyarados:
Out of any of the slated Pokemon, I believe Gyarados is clearly the worst to deal with. It hardly has consistent defensive checks; the offensive combination of Water / Flying / Grass is incredibly hard to wall. Defensive counterplay is pretty much limited to Rindo Berry Rotom-W. With its very good defensive typing and good natural bulk, Gyarados does not struggle to find setup opportunities on Pokemon like Buzzwole and some commonly Choice-locked Pokemon like Krookodile and Latias. Once set-up, you can play around the Supersonic Skystrike to some extent through attempting to bait it with a Pokemon like Latias or Mega Altaria to then switch into a resistant Pokemon like Celesteela, but even that relies heavily on mindgames that are in Gyarados' favour, and will usually end up in having to sack atleast one Pokemon anyway. Gyarados will often only need a single Dragon Dance to quickly snowball out of control.

Gyarados's defensive counterplay may be very barren and unfavorable for the opposition, but that ofcourse doesn't mean that offensive counterplay doesn't exist. I think it's worth taking a look at common Speed control options to further contextualize Gyarados' potency. Gyarados is resistent to Bullet Punch and neutral to Ice Shard, this already means that Scizor and Weavile generally have a hard time dealing with it. Beyond that, there's some Choice Scarf users like Latias, Jirachi, and Krookodile available that can handle Gyarados. However, the former 2 greatly prefer to run different sets and even then are pretty prone to being worn down if you play patiently with Gyarados, while the latter can only really manage to revenge kill Gyarados after a KO, assuming it didn't use Dragon Dance again as you attempted to sack a Pokemon.

Ultimately, because of how easy it is to find setup opportunities, the many favorable mindgames that the Gyarados user can engage in, and the fact that offensive counterplay is very limited, I believe that Gyarados is broken and deserves to be banned.

:sm/venusaur-mega:
Mega Venusaur is the next biggest issue in National Dex UU in my opinion. Mega Venusaur is alright on paper, though pretty annoying to account for due to its relatively small amount checks. There's Pokemon like Blissey, Roost Latias, Rotom-H, Moltres, and Reuniclus, but beyond using those Pokemon it becomes pretty daunting to switch into Mega Venusaur. Not just that, but most of its checks are pretty prone to being overwhelmed once they get poisoned by Sludge Bomb. This is especially worrisome as Mega Venusaur has just the right bulk to be able to engage with them directly to fish for poisons; it often forces trades in its favor.

Its small pool of checks and even smaller pool of checks that won't be overwhelmed once they're poisoned is ridiculously small and Mega Venusaur should absolutely be banned.

:sm/xurkitree:
Xurkitree is ridiculous. The fact that it can win many games off landing a Z-Hypnosis and getting enough turns of Sleep on the foe is really uncompetitive. Once Xurkitree manages to set up a Tail Glow, it becomes impossible to defensively check. There's a variety of item choices that add some depth to Xurkitree, with Electrium Z variants being able to OHKO Mega Venusaur, and Shuca Berry sets being able to circumvent some revenge killers like Krookodile without much support. However, I do not believe that it's broken purely on this merit. Xurkitree with a little HP investment is absolutely ridiculous and cannot be revenge killed, especially when it's supported by Sticky Web.

Xurkitree is a little inconsistent as it has to rely on Hypnosis to land to downright win games, but even when it misses it can often guarantee atleast one kill. When supported by Sticky Web, it becomes impossible to revenge kill Xurkitree. I do not think Xurkitree is a healthy Pokemon for the metagame and will be voting to ban it.

:sm/diggersby:
I'm not entirely convinced that Diggersby is broken, but I'm leaning towards voting ban. People have definitely been stressing out over the Choice Band set too much. Yes, it can 2HKO the entire defensive metagame, but it also doesn't hold up with the current pacing of the metagame. Teams can generally limit Choice Band Diggersby pretty well, it's Speed tier doesn't entirely satisfy right now.

If there's any set that's broken right now, it's definitely Swords Dance. Swords Dance Diggersby has much more freedom and is less prone to being offensively checked thanks to its very strong Quick Attack, which can OHKO Pokemon like Latias and Infernape after very minor chip damage, while also having to play far less mindgames with roughly the same prowess as a wallbreaker as Choice Band. Setting up a Swords Dance can be a little difficult, however. Ultimately, I'm not entirely convinced that this set is broken on its own merit either.

Although I really don't see either set as broken, I still believe that Diggersby should be banned. Checking Diggersby can be a difficult task due to the massive gap between counterplay to the 2 sets. I will likely be voting to ban it. I think Diggersby probably will warrant a suspect test at some later point in the metagame.

I'm honestly pretty tired at this point, so I'm sorry if this post seemed a bit rambly, but I wanted to at least get my thoughts out there on Pokemon that I will be voting ban on. As for the other slated Pokemon: Salamence is not broken in the slightest, there is no need to ban it; Jirachi is not consistent enough to be quick banned from what I've seen; Mega Diancie isn't broken but exerts massive pressure on the teambuilder, I'd really prefer if it was suspect tested; Scizor is very difficult to deal with defensively, but brings a lot to the tier and really isn't one of the main issues right now. I would prefer for it to be suspect tested sooner or later.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It's time, going to share my thoughts on the Pokemon that I find to be too much for the meta, the ones I don't find to be too much won't be mentioned, so here we go.

Xurkitree

I feel Xurkitree needs to be banned, not because of the fact that it is broken, but solely on the basis that it is completely uncompetitive. Its a Pokemon that offers little to no defensive value whatsoever but because of Z-Hypnosis, Xurkitree can easily just take control away from the opponent and onto the user and sometimes can just win games based on matchup rather than actual skill, I feel its presence is absolutely terrible for the metagame because Z-Hypnosis is basically a coin flip, and if Hypnosis hits you are probably going to get swept by it, thats just Z-Hypnosis, there's other sets like Tail Glow 3a and Shuca, which adds to Xurkitee's versatility and making it harder to account for, but I feel Z-Hypnosis on its own is enough for me to say that Xurkitree needs to be banned. There have been DNB arguments regarding its inconsistency, and I agree that having a 60% chance to hit it sucks, but I feel that doesn't make it any less banworthy because it is a coin flip to either win or lose the game if Hypnosis hits, that's pretty awful, this Pokemon is blatantly uncompetitive and this shouldn't be in the meta any longer.

Mega Venusaur

I feel Mega Venusaur is a little nuts, and I find it to be banworthy because there are almost no Pokemon that can reliably pivot into it, and even less Pokemon that can pivot and actually abuse it. It'salready hard to switch into because its moves already hit decently hard, but when you factor in Sludge Bomb poisons, Mega Venusaur just becomes incredibly hard to deal with because there are really only a few Pokemon that can pivot into it, the most reliable being Blissey and Reuniclus, but another problem is that fact that Mega Venusaur is pretty hard to actually wear down, its bulk and recovery gives it so many opportunities to trade vs the opponent, and its always in the Mega Venusaur's favour, meaning it will almost always seem to win a 1v1 scenario. Overall, I feel its lack of reliable switch ins coupled with poison hax make Mega Venusaur a Pokemon that is unhealthy for the metagame.

Gyarados

I feel Gyarados is simply a broken Pokemon. I feel its way too difficult to deal with because of how easily it can snowball teams with Dragon Dance, and its not like Gyarados struggles with finding setup opportunities because its bulk and typing is just perfect for setting up against Pokemon like Scarf Urshifu and Scizor for example, and once it sets up there are so very little Pokemon that reliably deal with it afterwards, Z-Bounce pretty much nukes almost every thing that is neutral against it, and stuff that don't like Rotom-H and Rotom-W just lose to its Waterfall or lose to Power Whip, there are so little that teams can actually do against Gyarados. So I've talked about how its nigh impossible, if not flat out impossible to deal with Gyarados defensively, offensively I feel its incredibly hard to deal with too, not just because of how easy it is to setup with it but its pretty much impossible to deal with at +2, so you need to use Scarfers that can actually beat Gyarados at +1, which are pretty limited, really only stuff like Latias, Jirachi and Urshifu-RS, I'm probably missing more but these Pokemon need enough damage on Gyarados to revenge kill it, and they need to make sure Gyarados doesn't get to +2, which is incredibly easy for the Gyarados user to do, or the Gyarados player can simply not really risk their Gyarados and simply just switch into a check to those Pokemon.

So I feel that Gyarados is a broken Pokemon in the metagame and probably the hardest to deal with, I feel this Pokemon consistently puts the user at an advantage due the amount of setup opportunities it gets and how easily it snowballs teams, ban this.

Diggersby

I feel Diggersby is pretty unhealthy in my opinion, I find it to be banworthy for the same reason as Mega Venusaur, in that nothing can reliably pivot into it without losing so much momentum in return, but in Diggersby's case, it just nukes stuff, the defensive answers to this Pokemon are incredibly barren, with almost nothing reliably switching into this Pokemon, and when you combine its devastating power along with its good versatility, you have a Pokemon that is incredibly hard to handle, its STAB combination is almost impossible to switch into, and when you combine coverage in Fire Punch, Wild Charge, Foul Play, Quick Attack, Knock Off and even Spikes, Diggersby is almost impossible to reliably counter and reliable checks, both offensively and defensively are very limited, which is why I don't think Diggersby is a healthy Pokemon in the metagame right now.

The results are in!

:diancie-mega: - 4 UUBL / 2 UU / 1 Abstain
:diggersby: - 6 UUBL / 1 UU
:gyarados: - 7 UUBL
:jirachi: - 6 UU / 1 Abstain
:salamence: - 1 UUBL / 6 UU
:scizor: - 7 UU
:venusaur-mega: - 7 UUBL
:xurkitree: - 7 UUBL

A Pokémon needed 5/7 Ban votes to get banished to UUBL.

Diggersby, Gyarados, Venusaur-Mega & Xurkitree have been banned from National Dex UU.

:SS/Diggersby::SS/Gyarados::SS/Venusaur-Mega::SS/Xurkitree:
Quick note that Gyarados-Mega :gyarados-mega: is now also banned by technicality due to the base form being banned.

We are now going to let the meta settle untill DLC2 comes to us in ~20 days. Council will keep a close eye on Mega Diancie for sure, and will likely receive a public test in the future once we're ready for it.

Kris The Immortal thank u very much if u guys could implement this :blobthumbsup:

National Dex UU

Code:
| 1    | Rotom-Wash         |    6 |  42.86% |  66.67% |
| 1    | Buzzwole           |    6 |  42.86% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Scizor             |    5 |  35.71% |  60.00% |
| 4    | Altaria            |    4 |  28.57% | 100.00% |
| 4    | Rhyperior          |    4 |  28.57% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Latias             |    4 |  28.57% |  25.00% |
| 4    | Slowking           |    4 |  28.57% |  25.00% |
| 8    | Krookodile         |    3 |  21.43% | 100.00% |
| 8    | Moltres            |    3 |  21.43% |  66.67% |
| 8    | Jirachi            |    3 |  21.43% |  66.67% |
| 8    | Urshifu-*          |    3 |  21.43% |  66.67% |
| 8    | Bisharp            |    3 |  21.43% |  66.67% |
| 8    | Rotom-Heat         |    3 |  21.43% |  33.33% |
| 14   | Blissey            |    2 |  14.29% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Slowbro-Galar      |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Weavile            |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Chandelure         |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Diancie            |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Gyarados           |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Diggersby          |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Venusaur           |    2 |  14.29% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Xurkitree          |    2 |  14.29% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Obstagoon          |    2 |  14.29% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Marowak-Alola      |    1 |   7.14% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Necrozma           |    1 |   7.14% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Tapu Bulu          |    1 |   7.14% | 100.00% |
| 24   | Aggron             |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Keldeo             |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Celesteela         |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Araquanid          |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Mimikyu            |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Seismitoad         |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Golurk             |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
| 24   | Steelix            |    1 |   7.14% |   0.00% |
Thanks to Jordy for getting these stats for me. Like this post as appreciation for Jordy's hard work!

:SS/Rotom-Wash:
Rotom-Wash has ended this week being the #1 most used Pokemon in the meta. This shouldn't surprise anyone, as it was basically the only form of defensive counterplay against Gyarados and is considered one of the best (if not the best) hazard remover in the tier. Won't expand much on this, but it being #1 in use this week should show how dominant Gyarados was. Do you guys think it will remain this high in use, despite Gyarados being banned now?
:rotom-wash::slowbro-galar::scizor::blissey::marowak-alola::krookodile: - Used by Yami
:rotom-wash::chandelure::jirachi::altaria::krookodile::buzzwole: - Used by m00la
:rotom-wash::bisharp::blissey::venusaur::urshifu::rhyperior: - Used by Averardo
:rotom-wash::altaria::buzzwole::moltres::rhyperior::weavile: - Used by Renny
:rotom-wash::golurk::slowking::buzzwole::steelix::chandelure: - Used by !!11!1!!
:rotom-wash::obstagoon::slowking::venusaur::scizor::hippowdon: - Used by Niadev

:SS/Altaria-Mega:
Mega Altarias has been better than ever and ended this week in #4 most used with a phenomenal 100% winrate. Despite Mega Venusaur still being in the tier this week, it didn't stop Mega Altaria's effectiveness. Defensive Dragon Dance + Refresh saw some use and was putting in great work, while standard defensive Mega Altaria continues to be a great check to many Pokémon like Infernape and Urshifu-RS.
:altaria::chandelure::rotom-wash::jirachi::krookodile::buzzwole: - Used by m00la
:altaria::urshifu::slowking::krookodile::jirachi::moltres: - Used by EviGaro
:altaria::necrozma::bisharp::scizor::gyarados::diggersby: - Used by Lilburr
:altaria::rotom-wash::buzzwole::moltres::rhyperior::weavile: - Used by Renny

:SS/Golurk:
| 24 | Golurk | 1 | 7.14% | 0.00% |
!!11!1!! why?

Many playstyles saw use this week, ranging from Offensive to more Balance builds. How do you guys the meta will look like now that Gyarados, Diggersby, Mega Venusaur & Xurkitree are banned, and Skarmory dropping into the tier? Will the meta be better? Worse? What Pokémon will see more use and which ones less? Let us know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)