NBA Offseason 2009

All this talk about LeBron James at the PF position is nuts...really, really nuts. There's no way that he is going to play that position.

The problem the Cavs and the Magic both have is that the Power Forward position and the front court still win championships in today's game, and neither team has a good one. We've already talked about how overpaid Varejo is and how Rashard Lewis is actually a 3 because he's such a perimeter player.

I like the Celts a lot in the east because they've actually fixed the one problem that was exposed last year when KG went down: depth. They've added Rasheed Wallace, who can play both the Power Forward and Center positions, which means he'll be in the game for both Garnett and Perkins at time, and then Glen Davis is the 4th big man coming in.

The x-factor in the East is definitely Shaq. When he's motivated, he's easily one of the most dominant offensive forces in the NBA. He's a guy who can take some of the scoring burden off of LeBron James, and it might be exactly what the Cavs need to get better. That said, Shaq is a huge liablility defensively. He can't defend the pick and roll, and any Power Forward with a decent jumpshot (like Rashard Lewis and Garnett) are going to give him fits.

I also think Orlando got better with the addition of Carter and the loss of Hedo. Having another guy who can drive to the basket and score makes the Magic less of a perimeter team, which is a good thing in Orlando's case.

All this talk about LeBron James at the PF position is nuts...really, really nuts. There's no way that he is going to play that position.
Agreed. LeBron has the size to play the PF but doesn't have the skillset at all. If you watch him play, you know he needs a decent amount of room to operate and that's usually on the perimeter as a wing. He won't get that room if he's playing inside against someone who is most likely taller than him. It's not even like the Cavs need an inside presence because they have Shaq, so LeBron regularly playing PF is pretty useless. Maybe every once in a while to give them a different look or if they want to see what LeBron can do there in a blowout game, but not seriously.

I also think Orlando got better with the addition of Carter and the loss of Hedo. Having another guy who can drive to the basket and score makes the Magic less of a perimeter team, which is a good thing in Orlando's case.
I see what you mean, but I have to disagree with you a little. Orlando thrives BECAUSE they are a perimeter team with a powerful center in Dwight Howard. If you don't double Dwight, he's going to make you pay. If you do double Howard, you're going to pay anyway because the rest of the team can operate outside successfully, as the perimeter is their strength. Don't get me wrong, Carter is a great player and is a great addition to the team, but I think that the Magic were better off with Hedo. Now if it turns out that Carter can consistently drive in and show good chemistry with Howard, he can draw the defense to either one of them. If he drives, he gets easy points. If he attracts the defense and ends up passing to Howard, he still gets easy points. Vince isn't known to be the most generous guy on the court, though, so it remains to be seen if this chemistry will develop.

Just some food for thought, some stats from the 08-09 Season that shows how Lebron played at different positions (thanks to 82games.com).

First, go here. Now, some interesting observations:

• Lebron played 56% of the total minutes of the team at SF, while 19% at PF last season (mostly when the second unit was in).
  • Looking at the 48-Minute Production, I find it interesting that Lebron's PER at PF was higher than his PER at SF. However, his opponent's PER were higher when he played PF than when he played SF.
  • His eFG% was actually a bit worse when he played PF, but it is interesting to note he averaged three more FTA at PF (his opponent's averaged 5.0 fouls per 48-minutes when Lebron played at PF, compared to 3.6 at SF). Interestingly, his opponent's eFG% suffered A LOT when he played PF (.418) compared to when he played SF (.482).
  • Also, Lebron fouled more when he played PF than when he plays SF.
  • His rebounds, blocks and points are higher at PF, but his assists suffer a bit.
  • His opponent's get quiet a lot more rebounds (10.0) than when he plays SF (6.0).
  • His turnovers increase a bit at PF, but he also forces his opponent's to turn the ball over a bit more.

Overall, it shows Lebron performs a bit better at PF based on his per-48-minutes PER. While this are not exact stats, since game situations vary (who knows what his stats would be if he played more PF than SF), it's a pretty good gauge. I say Lebron could play PF perfectly well, especially offensively. Defensively he suffers a bit at that position compared to SF, but that is mostly in rebounding, since the eFG% shows he can really defend at that position. Who knows, maybe with Shaq defending the other played instead of Varejo (who they played at C a lot when James played PF, which was their "small" lineup) could help.

Anyways, even if he doesn't start at PF, he will certainly play it at times during games (considering their complete lack of any other decent PF), and these stats show he can play the position well (and is not a joke, like some of you have said...).

I'm honestly surprised people didn't know that Lebron regularly plays PF during small ball =/

Oh and that comment about perimeter teams.. they never win championships. NBA Championships are won in the paint. The less you have to rely on outside shooting, the better.

Case in point, looking at the champions in the last 10 years.

Spurs, Lakers, Heat, Pistons and Celtics.

All of those teams featured;
A. Dominant Post Player (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace, etc.)
B. Dominant Slasher (Wade, Parker, Pierce, etc.)

If you look at the last 30 years or so, the trend becomes even more apparent.

I'm honestly surprised people didn't know that Lebron regularly plays PF during small ball =/

Oh and that comment about perimeter teams.. they never win championships. NBA Championships are won in the paint. The less you have to rely on outside shooting, the better.

Case in point, looking at the champions in the last 10 years.

Spurs, Lakers, Heat, Pistons and Celtics.

All of those teams featured;
A. Dominant Post Player (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace, etc.)
B. Dominant Slasher (Wade, Parker, Pierce, etc.)

If you look at the last 30 years or so, the trend becomes even more apparent.
I dont know if Id call both Wallace's from that Piston team a dominant post player. Sheed was on the decline a bit from his trail blazer days, and Big Ben wasnt a post presence (he was a post presence stopper/container though). The only team that I can really think of that won without a dominant big man were the Jordan teams. Rodman wasnt a post presence, but he was a hustle player/grab boards/play great D. I guess it also helps when you have two HOFers in Jordan/Pippen

marquis finally signs with the celtics after they failed to do a trade with Indiana. Signed for 1.99 mil, not sure if its for 1 or 2 years, great deal.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sheed is poor now - don't except him to be trail blazer condition or even piston condition for that matter. Although he is still one of the most solid low post defenders currently.

All i can say is this years NBA is going to be crazy, especially because of the draft and trades.. They're getting so much more competitive to each team.. Just like Ron Artest in the Lakers?!?!?! Lakers has such a better team now.. Now we Lakers, won't have a hard time beating the Cav's because we now got the best Diffensive player.. Not even that, this guy can shot threes, but he does has his off games.

Also I see the celtics getting better because of rasheed wallace. They needed a better center, now they have one. He's gonna be there center that shoots threes as well. So that's going to be a threat to Cav's and Magic's. Celtics are just building up each year. With Rondo getting better, that's all they need.

The only team that I can really think of that won without a dominant big man were the Jordan teams. Rodman wasnt a post presence, but he was a hustle player/grab boards/play great D. I guess it also helps when you have two HOFers in Jordan/Pippen
Horace Grant for the first 3-peat and then Rodman grabbed all the rebounds so Jordan and Pippen didnt have to worry about it for the second 3-peat.

Horace Grant for the first 3-peat and then Rodman grabbed all the rebounds so Jordan and Pippen didnt have to worry about it for the second 3-peat.
That isnt really a dominant big man though. You probably wouldnt even know who Luke Longly is, and Horace Grant was not a dominant big man. He was good, but hes talking about dominant big men. His best season was 15/11 per, and he only averaged 10 boards in a season one other time. Plus, Rodman was mainly just good for boards. He wasnt exactly what you call a dominant big man. He was mainly like a Ben Wallace, except he had more boards and a lot less block/steals per game

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Having good blocks, steals and rebounds DOES make you a good big men. Take it from wallace, dude lacks offensive ability but was labeled a great big men in the past.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Having good blocks, steals and rebounds DOES make you a good big men. Take it from wallace, dude lacks offensive ability but was labeled a great big men in the past.
He was named to the All-Decade team, in fact.

Rodman didnt even average a block/steal per game though... Big Ben had 2-3 blocks per game with about a steal a game too. That Piston team also didnt need Wallace to score. 1-4 on that team made up for it. Those Bulls teams didnt really have a dump it down low guy who could score.

franky

I suppose, I never looked or followed Rodman that much but I do know he is a great big man if not good.

I suppose, I never looked or followed Rodman that much but I do know he is a great big man if not good.
I see your point though. I just think when you look at most of the winning teams that had great big men, they could do it all. Shaq for the Lakers dynasty, Duncan for the Spurs, Chamberlain/Russel for the Lakers/Celtics in the 60's, etc. Both the Wallace's for that Pistons team werent great big man, but Sheed was still good, and Big Ben was a low post stopper/clean up man. Just to name a few more the Rockets team that wo back to back in the 90's had Olajuewon, and the 80's Celtics/Lakers had Parish/Mchale for the Celtics and Kareem for the Lakers.

franky

I see your point though. I just think when you look at most of the winning teams that had great big men, they could do it all. Shaq for the Lakers dynasty, Duncan for the Spurs, Chamberlain/Russel for the Lakers/Celtics in the 60's, etc. Both the Wallace's for that Pistons team werent great big man, but Sheed was still good, and Big Ben was a low post stopper/clean up man. Just to name a few more the Rockets team that wo back to back in the 90's had Olajuewon, and the 80's Celtics/Lakers had Parish/Mchale for the Celtics and Kareem for the Lakers.
Of course, Rodmon is no where near the calibre of the most dominant offensive player Shaq, and even get discussed near Duncan. I see what you mean though, comparing him he can't be called great. Somewhere near good is right cause' he was a key element to Bulls success.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dennis Rodman was one of those overrated underrated players. Like the Bruce Bowen/Robert Horry mold. Exceptional at one thing, which they got tons of recognition for, and ignored for the other aspects of their games.

For example, Bowen had the dirty defense, which got slightly overrated as more people caught on. He could still play offense somewhat, however, and that part of his game was vastly underrated. Horry hit the clutch shots, making him overrated, but he was still a key cog in the Lakers success, which is always underrated.

Rodman is obviously a higher caliber player than them but I would still consider him slightly (slightly) overrated on the boards and vastly underrated in the other aspects of his game. I'd place him between good and great if we're tiering him.

I hope that this post is coherent enough for you all to understand what I'm trying to say haha.

Speaking of Bruce Bowen, I am going to miss him and his defense (he decided to retire)! I'm also pretty sure a good number of players are little happy with his retirement =P

Rodman was good at what he did. He rebounded, and he played good on-ball defense.

But when I'm talking Dominating Big Man, I'm talking;

David Robinson, Shaq, Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russel, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, Robert Parrish and Moses Malone.

Now how many NBA Champions in the last 50 years did not have one of these players? The most recent to come to mind are the Bulls and the Pistons. Ironically both had Rodman at some point during their championship years, however, the Pistons won mainly thanks to Isiah Thomas skill, Joe Dumars' Shooting and Bill Lambier's (BAN ME PLEASE)ry. Oh and the Bulls had some dude named Michael Jordan.

Rodman was the best rebounder in nba history even better than wilt and russel as he grabbed a higher percentage of missed shots.

I suppose as one of the few spurs fans around here ill say im gonna miss Bruce. He won us game 7 VS the Pistons in 05, and saved us many other times...

Also, is anyone going to get NBA 2K10 or Live 10?

franky

Bowen is such a dirty player, someone you want on your team but someone you dont want to play against.

I suppose as one of the few spurs fans around here ill say im gonna miss Bruce. He won us game 7 VS the Pistons in 05, and saved us many other times...

Also, is anyone going to get NBA 2K10 or Live 10?
2K10 bro, Live is a joke (I've kinda outplayed 2K9 at this point but that's because its Football Season now lol)

Bruce Bowen dropkicking Wally Szczerbiak just made my day. And Steve Nash still wants his damn ring Bowen and Robert Horry :|

2K10 bro, Live is a joke (I've kinda outplayed 2K9 at this point but that's because its Football Season now lol)

Bruce Bowen dropkicking Wally Szczerbiak just made my day. And Steve Nash still wants his damn ring Bowen and Robert Horry :|
Yeh lmao, the Spurs are the reason Nash might never get a ring. Btw: 2k over live anyday now. Live is such a joke now since you just push X and lebron dunks it from half court

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)