SS OU Need Help Editing Team Post Ace and Mage Ban

I have been playing singles for a while now and by far the hardest thing for me is team building, and I don't like snagging teams from youtubers or from tournaments since experienced players would know what's up and can just pull up my team and not have to scout for anything. So this lead to me making my own teams and in gen 7 I made a decent team I was quite comfortable with. So I decided to do my best with recreating it in gen 8 swapping specs ash-gren for drag and mega-cham with lucha. And it worked very well in the ace and mage metagame, but once those got banned I noticed the team's reliability went down severely. I saw a lot more tran just like my old gen 7 team the team struggles with it. There's a lot more corv that now doesn't die to explosion from lando
and thats my game plan when going against one of the many fat birds. And volc is also much for prevalent since I have little counterplay other than boom or to somehow manage to safely get lucha in under terrain before it's too late. Also, slowing-galar walls my whole team almost and can just pivot out with regen if lando or kart is out and neither can switch directly in.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Lucha was put here to mainly replace mega-chams old role as a powerful fighting type that pairs well with koko, but I soon realized the two do not play the same. As lucha is more of an end game sweeper than a wall breaker and I feel like I'd rather have a wall breaker since this team isn't built to support lucha all that well for a sweep all too well and half the time it's on volc duty. I think this is a good mon to scrap all together for something to break past those strong corv bliss/ g-king bird cores. Also, its speed tier is quite redundant for this team.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

Ol' reliable end game sweeper is back and it is pretty consistent after I chip down one of the birds and tran. And it enjoys that torn is running a more offensive spread these days. But it struggles with the birds that punish it for making content via status or helmet. I think it belongs on this team but it needs something that can help it do what it does best as it has poor synergy with half of my team that struggles with the same defensive mons as some of my other offensive threats.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump

Specs pult came in as an ash-gren replacement and it does the same job to a lesser degree. Spamming specs attacks are really nice while having better coverage than ash gren so it can threaten more mons. However, it inherits the awful role of this team of the main tran switch in, which it does better than gren but it's still unreliable as hell. It takes too much from hazards and magma storm spam, with pump it removes tran easily but that basically cost me one of my best offensive treats and tran definitely did its job by the time I kill it. But besides tran it does a great job at out speeding and cleaning up enemy teams or if lucky it can break through opposing teams if they are weak to it. And for this team, I think clear body is better since I'm weak to webs offense. If given more support it could be way better.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Orb defog koko is a prety wonky set in gen 8. My only defogger getting rid of its own terrain is pretty bad synergy with lucha, and it does hurt its own offensive potential. However, this set is still pretty consistent, it might no longer blow through zapdos like it used to. The 20% reduction to its power does hurt it a bit but with orb, tbolt still does a ton to whatever it is up against. And having roost it doesn't have to worry about hazards or recoil as it can click it pretty freely on a switch or in front of fat that has a hard time punishing it for doing so. And with defog I don't have to worry about them setting up multiple hazards in my face as I get my health back. Its a basically defogger with offensive potential like the defog karts that are running around while having longevity.

Landorus-Therian @ Normal Gem
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

With z-moves being gone I kinda lost my nuke button that I can use to blow up an opposing wall that my team is having a hard time breaking so with gem boom I can get the surprise ko. I mainly do this in front of the birds that are not corv as it has a high chance of koing, but can prove pretty unreliable as backup options are pretty limited on this team. But other than that is your standard rocks lando it comes in gets up rocks and can pivot on physical attackers and hit them with a powerful eq or just spam u-turn for smooth brain momentum provided no helmet.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 112 Def / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Ferro is just great, the dedicated switch into all things, not fire. Hit surprisingly hard with whip and can use press in an incoming tran or help with the oh so fun ferro vs ferro battles. It provides great chip damage with its attacks, spikes and can help heal with seed. The only problem with it that he kills momentum when he is out and that kinda thing happens with mons like this, unfortunately. Also, I do not know an optional spread for ferro I have not run the calc to see how many pault shadow balls or chomp eqs it can take. Other than it's a momentum killer I think it fits quite well other than in makes my tran weakness 10x worse.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there! Here to rate your team and give you some advices in order to improve it.

Looking at the team, it seems like you want to play some kind of Hyper offense. Thus, I will suggest changes accordingly as I think that boom Lando combined with Koko-Lucha is a good basis for an HO team. Before moving into the changes, I wanna point out some weakness the team may have. The first one is that you will struggle against strong defensive cores. Indeed, you have very few setup options and your breakers are not able to pivot. Scarf Kartana is not that hard to switch into and even if it brings some speed control, I don’t think you really need more speed in a team with Tapu Koko and Dragapult. Corviknight :corviknight: paired up with a strong special defensive wall like Galarian Slowking :slowking galar: seems to be something really hard to beat with your current team.

I think what could work better with this basis is a screen HO with Tapu Koko as a screen setter. I’ll detail just below how you should modify your set accordingly.

:tapu koko: Your Tapu Koko set has, I think two issues. The first one is that you’re unable to pivot and the second one is that defog don’t fit well in a team where you can stack Rocks + Spikes. Anyway, if we’re turning the team into a screen HO, you rather have both Screens with Taunt and a pivoting move on Koko so I’ll suggest this set:

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

:hawlucha: Hawlucha goes very well with Tapu Koko but you really need to be able to pivot with Koko if you want to switch in Lucha safely. There’s not much to change here, I would just suggest using Taunt instead of Poison Jab. Taunt is useful against mons like Hippo or Pex while Poison Jab doesn’t help much as it doesn’t OHKO Clef after a Swords Dance. Another option could be Stone Edge for Zapdos.

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 266-314 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 273-322 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

hawlucha.gif

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

:ferrothorn: Pretty big change here. Ferrothorn doesn’t fit well in Hyper Offense especially with screens as it will just waste your screen turns. Thus, I’ll suggest replacing him by a mon that really benefits from screens such as Bisharp. Bisharp can not only pressure a lot of defensive cores but he is also able to beat a lot of offensive mons thanks to screens. Moreover, Defiant act as an anti-defog so that your opponent cannot mindlessly click Defog to remove your Rocks and Screens. Here is a pretty standard Bisharp set you can use:

bisharp.gif

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

:landorus therian: Landorus can be a great lead here with both Stealth Rocks and Explosion. However, I think Focus Sash will be a way more useful item than Normal Gem on this mon especially in a lead position. With Explosion you don’t necessarily need U-Turn and so you can play Swords Dance instead to beat plenty of mons you normally can’t. Lastly, you’ll need to have speed on this mon if you want him to fulfil his role correctly. Here is the way I would change his set:

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

:dragapult: Choice Specs Pult is a huge threat in SS OU. However, you need to have U-Turn on this mon as without pivoting you cannot keep the pressure if your opponent has a mon that can switch into your Pult. Anyway, here with screens a Dragon Dance variant would be way more efficient. You can also give him Weakness Policy as you’ll be able to live pretty much everything while screens are up. The set I’m thinking of is just below:

dragapult.gif

Dragapult @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

:kartana: Kartana can indeed be a great sweeper but I don’t think the Scarf variant is putting enough pressure to beat most current defensive cores. Banded Kartana could be an option but I think that a Swords Dance one would be even more threatening here, so I suggest you to give it a try:

kartana.gif

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

And here is the past of the team:

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Hope it helps, don’t hesitate to try it and see if it works better. With that saying, I wish you a good day.

Hey there! Here to rate your team and give you some advices in order to improve it.

Looking at the team, it seems like you want to play some kind of Hyper offense. Thus, I will suggest changes accordingly as I think that boom Lando combined with Koko-Lucha is a good basis for an HO team. Before moving into the changes, I wanna point out some weakness the team may have. The first one is that you will struggle against strong defensive cores. Indeed, you have very few setup options and your breakers are not able to pivot. Scarf Kartana is not that hard to switch into and even if it brings some speed control, I don’t think you really need more speed in a team with Tapu Koko and Dragapult. Corviknight :corviknight: paired up with a strong special defensive wall like Galarian Slowking :slowking galar: seems to be something really hard to beat with your current team.

I think what could work better with this basis is a screen HO with Tapu Koko as a screen setter. I’ll detail just below how you should modify your set accordingly.

:tapu koko: Your Tapu Koko set has, I think two issues. The first one is that you’re unable to pivot and the second one is that defog don’t fit well in a team where you can stack Rocks + Spikes. Anyway, if we’re turning the team into a screen HO, you rather have both Screens with Taunt and a pivoting move on Koko so I’ll suggest this set:

View attachment 327693
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

:hawlucha: Hawlucha goes very well with Tapu Koko but you really need to be able to pivot with Koko if you want to switch in Lucha safely. There’s not much to change here, I would just suggest using Taunt instead of Poison Jab. Taunt is useful against mons like Hippo or Pex while Poison Jab doesn’t help much as it doesn’t OHKO Clef after a Swords Dance. Another option could be Stone Edge for Zapdos.

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 266-314 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 273-322 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

View attachment 327692
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

:ferrothorn: Pretty big change here. Ferrothorn doesn’t fit well in Hyper Offense especially with screens as it will just waste your screen turns. Thus, I’ll suggest replacing him by a mon that really benefits from screens such as Bisharp. Bisharp can not only pressure a lot of defensive cores but he is also able to beat a lot of offensive mons thanks to screens. Moreover, Defiant act as an anti-defog so that your opponent cannot mindlessly click Defog to remove your Rocks and Screens. Here is a pretty standard Bisharp set you can use:

View attachment 327694
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

:landorus therian: Landorus can be a great lead here with both Stealth Rocks and Explosion. However, I think Focus Sash will be a way more useful item than Normal Gem on this mon especially in a lead position. With Explosion you don’t necessarily need U-Turn and so you can play Swords Dance instead to beat plenty of mons you normally can’t. Lastly, you’ll need to have speed on this mon if you want him to fulfil his role correctly. Here is the way I would change his set:

View attachment 327695
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

:dragapult: Choice Specs Pult is a huge threat in SS OU. However, you need to have U-Turn on this mon as without pivoting you cannot keep the pressure if your opponent has a mon that can switch into your Pult. Anyway, here with screens a Dragon Dance variant would be way more efficient. You can also give him Weakness Policy as you’ll be able to live pretty much everything while screens are up. The set I’m thinking of is just below:

View attachment 327696
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

:kartana: Kartana can indeed be a great sweeper but I don’t think the Scarf variant is putting enough pressure to beat most current defensive cores. Banded Kartana could be an option but I think that a Swords Dance one would be even more threatening here, so I suggest you to give it a try:

View attachment 327697
Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Hope it helps, don’t hesitate to try it and see if it works better. With that saying, I wish you a good day.
Pretty good but I suggest black glasses on bisharp over life orb

View attachment 327693
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

View attachment 327692
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

View attachment 327694
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

View attachment 327695
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

View attachment 327696
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

View attachment 327697
Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- U-turn

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Steel Wing

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

now that is a good team, I would definitely try that! but for that i think Kartana should have Choice Band and Bisharp should have Black Glasses.

Yeah kart should def have cb>lo but the rest of the corrected team looks solid. IMO electric sd lucha is one of the most fun sets to do in ou and fits very well in most ho teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)