Never Underestimate Us

Hello. I would like you to look at my loverly (modified) NU team who serve me well.

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
Nature: Gentle
252 SpD / 4 Spe / 252 SpA

Rapid Spin
Surf
Rain Dance
Foresight

O to the K. I decided on Wartortle to replace Dewgong. I am sad to see her go, as she has served me well. Right, back to Tortle. Rapid Spin is for the obvious threat to a lot of the rest of the team - Stealth Rock. The Rapid Spin will get rid of SR as well as any spikes or toxic spikes I have to face. This ties in nicely with Foresight, because I have seen many Golurks use SR and the Foresight will enable Rapid Spin to hit them. Surf - for the STAB move. It was the obvious choice because Hydro Pump, although more powerful, is just too inaccurate and will be to big a risk. Rain Dance, to power up Surf. All there is to it really.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
Nature: Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Air Slash
Flamethrower
Dragon Pulse
Roost

When it comes to NU, Char is a boss. Air Slash deals with many opponents seen down here, and when put with STAB, Life Orb and already high Special Attack, it will deal lots of damage to even the toughest of foes. Flamethrower, for the STAB as well, and fares the same as Air Slash, but with the chance of a Burn instead of a flinch. Dragon Pulse, useful against the Rock-types that come along, because they can deal damage as long as I don't get there first, which is where DP comes in. Roost, to replenish health taken from enemies, Life Orb and sometimes Stealth Rock

Ampharos @ Choice Specs
Trait: Static
Nature: Modest
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 HP

Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Focus Blast
Power Gem

Thunderbolt, we all know what that does. It deals with many opponents down in the NU tier, and will take out, if not punch a few holes, in even a tough team. Added to high Sp Atk, Choice Specs and STAB, this Thunderbolt from Amphy will really put a spanner in the works. Volt Switch, useful when you come up against those who don't always take much damage from Electric-type moves, but can make Amphy faint. As such, with Volt Switch (clue's in the name), you can switch for a more suitable source of damage. Focus Blast, although relatively inaccurate, will take out many foes and is always a useful one to have on the team. Power Gem now. It was a toss between Power Gem and Hidden Power Rock, but you can see which one clinched it. The reasons being that
1. It doesn't sacrifice IVs
2. There are many Bug-types that can challenge Amphy and win if left alone for long enough, so Power Gem really comes in handy.

Golurk @ Choice Band
Trait: No Guard
Nature: Adamant
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 HP

DynamicPunch
Shadow Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Yes, DynamicPunch. Although due to Choice Band, I am then locked into one move, DynamicPunch comes in very handy. When the Ice-Types come along, they tend to do stuff, and as long as Golurk is left to survive, he can return the favour and happily get rid of them. Shadow Punch next. I wanted a physical, LEGAL Ghost-type move to give it some extra Oomph!, and the only one I could think of was Shadow Punch. It may look like not much, but it sure comes in handy against Jellicents that decide to come along. Earthquake, for STAB, power and a lil' extra push to ensure Total Wipeout on the other team. Stone Edge, for Ice-types again, and will definitely hit, as I have No Guard, which has its ups and downs, as with everything, but on the whole it sure is useful.

Jumpluff @ Life Orb
Trait: Infiltrator
Nature: Mild
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

Giga Drain
U-Turn
Toxic
Energy Ball

Never Underestimate Jumpluff. Know why? Because it is a Grass-type boss and can wipe you all out. Giga Drain, useful seeing as it has Life Orb, which gets rid of health, so you can always have lots of health at the end of the turn. Yes, I know. Jumpluff is weak to Ice-type moves, but I am prepared. U-Turn is the preparation. If I see a pokemon I don't want to face with Jumpluff, I just U-Turn and switch for someone else. Great isn't it? Toxic, to enable me to get rid of opponents more easily. In NU, Audino and Alomomola are common, and they have STACKS of HP, so toxic will be very useful. Energy Ball, is for STAB, as well as Oomph! and will ensure that I have a clear road to victory. The great thing about my Jumpluff is that it has Infiltrator. For those who don't know, if there is a Light Screen, Safeguard, Mist or Reflect, Jumpluff just says "Whatever!" and carries on as if they aren't there. It goes through them and this is very, very useful, especially with Toxic.

And now, for the main antagonist of the team, and the most Boss-like in my opinion.

Altaria @ Draco Plate
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Lonely
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Fire Blast
Roost

Altaria has gotten me out of many tight spaces and I will say now, I'm sorry to anyone who asks me to change her for someone else, because she is staying to keep on getting me unstuck in battles.
Anyway, moving on. Where the Draco Plate was concerned, it was another toss between it and the Dragon Fang, both of which do the same thing, but I think that the Draco Plate looks more ladylike, don't you? On to the moves now. Dragon Dance, for those who don't know, raises attack and speed by one stage each, so this will come in handy later on in the game. Outrage, the STAB move and this added to a use or two of Dragon Dance, high enough attack and the Draco Plate she's holding, then Altaria could be your worst nightmare. Fire Blast is for Altaria's main threat of Ice-type pokemon, and will deal enough damage to put a spanner in the works, maybe even more than once. Finally it's on to Roost. No doubt by this point, Little Miss A will have taken some damage and will need refreshing. No problem, and this is where Roost comes in. She flutters down and restores her health, and is then less weak to her Ice-type foes, so can deal with them later.

You may not believe at first how boss like my team really is for NU. But Please, have a look at these.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu9515271
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu9519443

A hazard setter that can set SR and maybe spikes as well would be useful. A standard Offensive Gardevoir can absolutely wreck this team as well, though Jumpluff or Charizard can revengekill - if Garde stays in, that is, and does not switch to Flareon or something else that does not mind taking any of the attacks from Jumpluff or Charizard.

Then there are Leavanny and Sawsbuck, which your team suffers the same weakness against. Jumpluff stops their Grass STAB but does not appreciate an attack from their secondary STAB's, thus cannot switch in safely.

To mitigate this somewhat, and as I see a redundancy in Energy Ball and Giga Drain on the same set, I see some problems with it. I think the simplest option is to go for a full physical, Subseed set on Jumpluff, with Leech Seed, U-Turn, Acrobatics, Substitute and a Flying Gem.

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Infiltrator
Nature: Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Acrobatics
- U-Turn

Furthermore, Rock type attacks are troublesome for this team, since a few members carry a weakness to Rock and your only resist does not appreciate common coverage moves like Sucker Punch (Golem) or Ice Punch (Regirock). I suggest standard Metang over your current (somewhat weird) Altaria set. Metang has a load of resistances, only two weaknesses (Fire and Ground), which synergizes somewhat better than the other hazard setters with this team than Altaria does.

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

You can safely opt for any move in the last slot though, Bullet Punch, Toxic, Magic Coat, Reflect or Light Screen are all options you can use, each with their own merits.

Thus, in a nutshell:
Jumpluff; Physical set with Subseed
Altaria; Replace with Metang

Your team is weak to stealth rock, and it's probably a good idea to a have a spinner on your team if you are to use Charizard. A spinner such as Wartortle instead of Dewgong might be a good idea as Dewgong has too many weaknesses (including stealth rock) to be dependable. Dewgong's offenses are also rather weak even with a life orb, and the recoil from life orb + stealth rock damage means that Dewgong isn't going to be able to stay in long. For Wartortle I would suggest the set:

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Foresight
-Haze

Foresight for ghosts who switch in on Wartortle, Haze so opposing pokemon don't set up on wartortle, and scald so you're not total taunt bait and for the chance of a burn. I also second Aasiger's suggestion for a metang with stealth rock as stealth rock damage on the other side will help you finish off pokemon easier. Good luck with your team!

your suggestions are good guys, but here are some reasons why they might not be so good. Regirock can be defeated also by golurk, as with golem, who wouldn't survive against jumpluff's energy ball or giga drain (seen this for myself). Altaria, she is the main boss of my team and gets me out of the tightest spaces, hence why she's there. She can defeat lots of pokemon with a Dragon Dance, followed by Outrage. Metang is ok, but won't survive Flamethrower from Charizard, and I have recently seen Ampharos take out many pokemon with SpecsThunderbolt. Offensive Gardevoir would probably not survive an attack from Ampharos, or two from Charizard or anyone else for that matter. I have faced about five or six Gardevoirs, all of which i was able to defeat. Where dewgong is concerned, he is able to defeat many pokemon who are first out, such as Golem, Regirock etc, and the offenses aren't weak, because they do a lot of damage and are able to help me win. I often take Dewgong out first, so that negates damage from SR, and then just keep up a wall and watch the others switch whilst i do damage. I tried many other sets before coming up with this one, and this is the one that has been more successful.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu9524116 here is proof of why altaria should stay in. She would beat Metang with Fire Blast anyways.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm not saying that I don't like them, because I do, but I can beat the suggestions you said. Sorry, but it's true.

That is not the way to think. You should think in terms of synergy, not in terms of A can beat B head-to-head.

Ok, well I should have said, but even though I may not keep ideas, I will still try them out. Like I said, the suggestions are great, but I did find after much trial and improvement, the set I posted gave me the greatest chance of success. The main reason I keep certain pokemon, is that when I am in a tight spot, I can get out of it with use of said pokemon. The Jumpluff set you posted, I tried and found it to be less successful than my current one. Metang, although yes, it covers all the weaknesses, so do others elsewhere, and are able to survive SR and deal back the damage rather than take more themselves. I apologize for possibly seeming to completely reject the team suggestions, but I have tried many others, such as Audino, Braviary, Grumpig etc, but as I said, my greatest success rate was with the ones I already have. If you don't believe me, go to http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/search?user=Emerald7Chaos
there are 10 NU battles on there that I have won with my team. Ignore the others, but there are 10 that I won, and you will see that Altaria has gotten me out of tight spaces when I needed her. By the way, my name on showdown is Emerald7Chaos. Feel free to challenge me to an NU battle at any time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)