SM OU New and Improved Team!

So a month ago I made a post asking for improvements for an old team. Well after many adjustments and lots of trial and error, I think I've created a pretty great team. At the time of writing, I'm on an 11 game win streak that's shot me up from 1189 to 1408, the first time I've ever reached 1400 in any tier in any gen. Obviously, my win streak is gonna end at some point but I want to see what you guys think so I can keep pushing up the ladder.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex has insane bulk; it's the Ferrothorn of Gen 7. Because of this, its main goal is to cripple the other team in 3 different fashions. Baneful Bunker is overrated IMO, so I use Toxic Spikes instead to break down walls. Secondly, there's Scald, to have some kind of attacking move while having a chance to cripple physical attackers at the same time. Finally, I use Haze to prevent the opposition from trying to set-up sweep, IDK if it's unconventional or not but I've gotten a lot of angry messages during matches lol. Recover is used to extend my longevity even further when combined with Regenerator and Black Sludge. EV's and Nature are geared towards Defense and HP.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Along with Toxapex, Tapu Lele is the only other 'Mon I have that was on the original team I posted, and it's easy to see why thanks to Psychic Terrain. It's my late game sweeper, and probably the most important member of the team, even if it doesn't see much action since the goal of this team is to take out everything that could cause problems for Tapu Lele. Psychic-Terrain boosted Choice-Specs boosted max SpAtk Psyshock is ridiculously OP (I like to use Psyshock to lure in Physical walls). Moonblast is used for my other STAB, HP Fire is there so I can 1v1 steel types (only if I have to, normally I try to avoid it). I used to have Focus Blast on it but I've used it probably twice through 60-odd matches so I subbed it for Shadow Ball instead. EV's and Nature geared towards SpAtk and Speed.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

M-Gyarados is my set-up sweeper. It's my backup plan if Tapu Lele dies early, and it's probably racked up the most kills of anyone on this team. I love it because yes, it does need Dragon Dance to be good, but once you have it set up it's nearly impossible unless it's against Tapu Fini, Azumarill or Pheromosa. In addition, it has the bulk to beat M-Metagross 1v1 once it's Mega Evolved, which is huge since Metagross is probably the most used Pokemon in the metagame right now. Dragon Dance to set up, Crunch and Waterfall for STAB, and Ice Fang to round out my coverage (Idk if Earthquake would be better, I haven't played around with it enough). EV's and Nature geared towards Speed and Attack.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Surf
- Defog

Tapu Fini is one of the best Defog users in the metagame right now, thanks to its bulk and solid defensive typing. In addition, Tapu Fini complements Gyarados very well thanks to Defog getting rid of the SR that normal Gyarados hates and Misty Terrain prevents him from getting burned. Taunt is used to prevent set-up sweepers from using Fini as bait, while Moonblast and Surf round out its coverage (There's no point in running Scald because MT activates every time Fini enters). Defensive Nature, EV's are spread to find good all around bulk while a small portion is invested into speed)

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Mamoswine is my Stealth Rock user, while also having a decent Attack stat to do some damage back. Usually my lead, and can also be used as a sacrificial lamb later on if necessary. Earthquake and Icicle Crash for STAB, while Ice Shard makes it an excellent revenge killer thanks to its high attack stat. Focus Sash so it's guaranteed to get up rocks, while Oblivious is used so it can't get taunted. EV's and Nature are geared towards Attack and Speed

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Lastly, we have Magnezone, who is an excellent fit on this team for multiple reasons. For starters, being a slow Volt-Switch user gives me chances to gain momentum without having to risk Tapu Lele being 2HKO or wasting M-Gyarados's great bulk. In addition, it has the ability to trap the steel types that are the bane of Tapu Lele thanks to Magnet Pull, allowing it to dispose of Skarmory, M-Scizor, and Celesteela with ease. Finally, it has decent enough bulk and great special attack to do some damage early on in matches. Volt Switch is used for momentum, Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt for STAB, and HP Fire to do damage against the Steel-types it traps that aren't part flying. EV's and Nature are geared towards Special Attack, while 128EV's in speed to outspeed mininum speed Scizor, and the rest for HP.

So what do you guys think?

3d

and the f is for phenomenal
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hey cool team. One of the biggest threats I noticed was Tapu Koko. Due to this thing's amazing ability Electric Terrain it can hit all your pokemon very hard with a STAB Thunderbolt. One of the only exceptions being Mamoswine, but since you're using it as a suicide lead it won't be maintained in the battle that long. Also I noticed that Tapu Bulu is also a huge threat vs this team since your main way of dealing with it doesn't like taking Superpowers. Mega Metagross can also put in a ton of work vs this team as with Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, and HammerArm/ThunderPunch coverage, it can kill every member of your team. With this being said here are my suggested changes.

The first thing I suggest changing is running Assault Vest on Magnezone. Assault Vest is a stellar option on this team since it gives you a nice switchin to Tapu Koko, and even Tapu Lele. With Magnezone's natural bulk and great defensive typing it makes great use of assault vest, and it doesn't hurt being able to switch moves. This won't hurt your team too much as Magnezone can still check things it was supposed to, mainly Celestesela and Mega Scizor. Also, running Max HP will be fine, since 0 Speed Mega Scizor usually doesn't run SuperPower, and the extra bulk helps a ton vs Tapu Koko.

-->
Amoonguss can greatly help this team. The main thing that provides is a solid grass resist, and mainly a way to deal with Tapu Bulu. While Zen Headbutt is sometimes used, a Tapu Bulu player's main mindset is to get off a ton of damage with Wood Hammer, and gain HP with Horn Leech. Superpower, and Stone Edge are also much more prominent fillers. Since Toxapex was a way to pivot in on Pheromosa running SPDef Amoonguss serves that role as well. For these reasons, changing Toxapex to Amoonguss wouldn't hurt this team at all.

-->
While this was a hard choice to make, I honestly think that Greninja would do better on your team over Tapu Lele. One of Greninja's best factors is it's speed. This allows you to outpace Meta Metagross and check it with Dark Pulse. Also I don't think Ash-Forme is really needed since Amoonguss can deal with non Brave Bird koko pretty handily, and it loves Gunk Shot to hit things like Bulu.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Surf
- Defog

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

have fun :)

Last edited:
Hey cool team. One of the biggest threats I noticed was Tapu Koko. Due to this thing's amazing ability Electric Terrain it can hit all your pokemon very hard with a STAB Thunderbolt. One of the only exceptions being Mamoswine, but since you're using it as a suicide lead it won't be maintained in the battle that long. Also I noticed that Tapu Bulu is also a huge threat vs this team since your main way of dealing with it doesn't like taking Superpowers. Mega Metagross can also put in a ton of work vs this team as with Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Meteor Mash, and HammerArm/ThunderPunch coverage, it can kill every member of your team. With this being said here are my suggested changes.

The first thing I suggest changing is running Assault Vest on Magnezone. Assault Vest is a stellar option on this team since it gives you a nice switchin to Tapu Koko, and even Tapu Lele. With Magnezone's natural bulk and great defensive typing it makes great use of assault vest, and it doesn't hurt being able to switch moves. This won't hurt your team too much as Magnezone can still check things it was supposed to, mainly Celestesela and Mega Scizor. Also, running Max HP will be fine, since 0 Speed Mega Scizor usually doesn't run SuperPower, and the extra bulk helps a ton vs Tapu Koko.

-->
Amoonguss can greatly help this team. The main thing that provides is a solid grass resist, and mainly a way to deal with Tapu Bulu. While Zen Headbutt is sometimes used, a Tapu Bulu player's main mindset is to get off a ton of damage with Wood Hammer, and gain HP with Horn Leech. Superpower, and Stone Edge are also much more prominent fillers. Since Toxapex was a way to pivot in on Pheromosa running SPDef Amoonguss serves that role as well. For these reasons, changing Toxapex to Amoonguss wouldn't hurt this team at all.

-->
While this was a hard choice to make, I honestly think that Greninja would do better on your team over Tapu Lele. One of Greninja's best factors is it's speed. This allows you to outpace Meta Metagross and check it with Dark Pulse. Also I don't think Ash-Forme is really needed since Amoonguss can deal with non Brave Bird koko pretty handily, and it loves Gunk Shot to hit things like Bulu.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Surf
- Defog

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

have fun :)
Thanks, I'll test it out soon! My only question is why Torrent is used instead of Protean, and you mentioned Dark Pulse yet it isn't there in the moveset? And one last thing I forgot to mention was that this team was made for the Non-Pokebank OU. This team is doing well in Pokebank OU but any suggestions for the Non-bank version?

3d

and the f is for phenomenal
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Thanks, I'll test it out soon! My only question is why Torrent is used instead of Protean, and you mentioned Dark Pulse yet it isn't there in the moveset? And one last thing I forgot to mention was that this team was made for the Non-Pokebank OU. This team is doing well in Pokebank OU but any suggestions for the Non-bank version?
Oops that was a fault on my end, please change that to Protean, and Extrasensory to Dark Pulse. I was rushing the finished team and didn't include that. Sorry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)