New Pokemon Snap - Released April 30th!

The official website is also up now
https://newpokemonsnap.pokemon.com/...paign=newpokemonsnap&utm_term=playercharacter

More screenshots and information:
-The region's called Lental
-The thing with Meganium is a phenomenon where Pokemon light up (Illumina) and figuring out what's up wit hthose is part of the reason you're doing to survey
-the Professor's name is Mirror
-the album got a MAJOR upgrade, giving you information on the pokemon and letting you capture seemingly up to 4 different photos for each one

And from the pokemon tiwtter

The player character selections

Rita, the professor's assistant

That the Pokémon themselves react to lighting is new, isn't it? Take the Sawsbuck at 0:48, for instance. It's standing in shadow. That Mandibuzz at 0:55 is also casting a sharp shadow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have they ever done stuff like that in the main series? It looks like the models have been given a bit of a touch-up so they react to the light engine, at least.
The models in previous pokemon games used baked in lighting textures I believe, but models themselves wouldn't need updates in order for lightin to affect them. THat should all come down to the engine itself.

This game is a bit ugly but the gameplay looks real fun. I just hope that for a 50$ pricetag, its not a 2h completion like people say the original is

This game is a bit ugly but the gameplay looks real fun. I just hope that for a 50$ pricetag, its not a 2h completion like people say the original is
There seems to be more here than the original (not that that's very hard) so I doubt it'll be like 2h but it wouldn't shock me if it was only like...10, tops.

I dunno about you, but ehile the pokemon and environments look amazing, the human models gave me pause? Is that just me? Something about the engine makes their skin and hair look a bit stranger...

Cross referencing with the list from the first trailer, the new trailer and assorted screens I think we're up to 57 pokemon (I might have double counted by accident)
Starly
Swanna
Beautifly
Drifblim
Lapras
Pikipek
Toucannon
Wooper
Bounsweet
Aipom
Deerling
Sawsbuck
Liepard
Shiftry
Skorupi
Mandibuzz
Hippowdon
Primarina
Grookey
Pichu
Bidoof
Torchic
Pinsir
Heracross
Meganium
Machamp
Squirtle
Onix
Sharpedo
Mantine
Dodrio
Viviillon
Scorbunny
Slaking
Quagsire
Crabrawler
Wingull
Raichu-A
Pidgeot
Magikarp
Dedenne
Pikachu
Bouffalant
Wailord
Pelliper
Caterpie
Zangoose
Finneon
Emolga
Blastoise
Mantyke
Pyukumuku
Torterra
Wurmple
Hoothoot
Comfey
Bellossom

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Cross referencing with the list from the first trailer, the new trailer and assorted screens I think we're up to 57 pokemon (I might have double counted by accident)
Starly
Swanna
Beautifly
Drifblim
Lapras
Pikipek
Toucannon
Wooper
Bounsweet
Aipom
Deerling
Sawsbuck
Liepard
Shiftry
Skorupi
Mandibuzz
Hippowdon
Primarina
Grookey
Pichu
Bidoof
Torchic
Pinsir
Heracross
Meganium
Machamp
Squirtle
Onix
Sharpedo
Mantine
Dodrio
Viviillon
Scorbunny
Slaking
Quagsire
Crabrawler
Wingull
Raichu-A
Pidgeot
Magikarp
Dedenne
Pikachu
Bouffalant
Wailord
Pelliper
Caterpie
Zangoose
Finneon
Emolga
Blastoise
Mantyke
Pyukumuku
Torterra
Wurmple
Hoothoot
Comfey
Bellossom
I'm sure we are more than the original game had already and I've already got a list in the OP of Pokemon theyve shown. 200 on the website seems like a really huge jump and I'm super excited to jump in. Just have to find somewhere to pre-order from now!

I dunno about you, but ehile the pokemon and environments look amazing, the human models gave me pause? Is that just me? Something about the engine makes their skin and hair look a bit stranger...
They kind of give me LGPE vibes? Like they are short with very large heads, going for that chibi look.

Looking forward to play this game now since I buy a Switch anyways. It looks beautiful.

But We won't be gassing any Pokemon in this one most likely

I'm quite sad that this isn't really my cup of gameplay (I guess I'm just too old for complete sandboxes >_> ), because differently from certain other games daaamn the footage shown some really adorable scenes.

The two Sobbles looking at Venusaur and wondering if he wants to play or eat them struck my heart.

I'm quite sad that this isn't really my cup of gameplay (I guess I'm just too old for complete sandboxes >_> ), because differently from certain other games daaamn the footage shown some really adorable scenes.

The two Sobbles looking at Venusaur and wondering if he wants to play or eat them struck my heart.
I wouldn't call this a sandbox, snap's entire thing is being basically a rail shooter

Personally my favorite thing was seeing sleepy blastoise on the beach

This game looks absolutely beautiful and I'm glad that they have included more items than the original. I do wonder how many Pokemon we'll get to see?

Also, the Photo Edits have huge meme potential, I wonder if we'll be able to export them to Social Media sites in addition to the Online feature.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

New trailer shown today during the Pokemon Presents
0:36: Calling it now, Phil is evil... oh, wait, we aren't doing that gag? Alright, well he definitely has "rival" energy coming from him (the expression, hair, stance; you know he's thinking "after I passive-aggressively insult the new trainer I'm gonna than leave saying 'smell ya later'").
1:33: So I guess we're then tossing away taking pictures of Pokemon in their natural state then, huh? Like giving them food (or bopping them with it) or playing a tune is one thing that subtlety influences behavior, but I think throwing an object that alters their physical appearance in an unnatural way kind of defeats the purpose of taking pictures of Pokemon living their lives naturally in the wild (would be funny if they had an instance where a prey Pokemon gets immidietaly snatched up by a predator Pokemon after you hit them with a Ilumina Orb, but I know they're not going to do that).
2:26: Oh GF, you never learn. I hope they heavily monitor the photo sharing database cause, well...
2:51: Is that Todd next to the Professor? Oh, I get why we're not playing him now, he grew up so can no longer fit into the ZERO-ONE (you'd think they'd make the NEO-ONE big enough for him. But then again they then couldn't let us pick our gender and four appearance options).
2:53: So they showed the Ilumina Pokemon but didn't really say anything about it, even though they just introduce the Ilumina Orbs thus creating a direct parallel between the two. I noticed Ilumina Meganium has a neat vine affect that wraps around its body, making me wonder if to get the best picture of the Ilumina Pokemon we need to hit it with an Ilumina Orb at the right time, or to even get a picture of it we need to use the orbs to get a clear shot (like how in the Original Snap we needed to break Mew's barrier to get a picture of it, otherwise the picture would just show a solid colored barrier).
2:59: No, it's just a very green Hoppip... So is Celebi going to be the Mythical we're after this time? I was kind of hoping we'd be trying to take a picture of multiple Legendaries and Mythicals, like maybe even make them "bosses".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wasn't there a part in the original Snap where a Magikarp gets got by a Pidgeotto?
Possible, cause while trying to look that up apparently in the original New Pokemon Snap trailer there's a scene of Pidgeot grabbing a Magikarp:
So, um, yeah, nevermind, Pokemon predation is in the game! Don't you just now want to light every single small Pokemon so it could become another's meal?:blobnom:

So, this chart was posted in the Pokemon Legends: Arceus thread, and I decided to compare it to a list of confirmed mons for Snap. (posting to both threads bc I do feel like it's relevant to both discussions)
I know it’s pretty early but here is the initial Pokemon Legends checklist:

Here's the overlap(every mon listed represents a member of their family appearing in both titles, not that that specific mon has appeared in both trailers):
Pikachu
Turtwig
Starly
Bidoof

That's...far fewer than I anticipated. Now, there's a lot of mons, Snap trailers have been focused on the first 3 gens, etc, could be nothing. But I suspect Namco were given a list of mons that are off-limits for Snap, and most of Gen IV was on it, to keep the two "see these mons in the wild" games from stepping on each other's toes. It's the gen with the least representation in this game other than VIII.

It's raw speculation, of course, but at this point, I'm going to be assuming that any mon that shows up in a Legends trailer won't be in Snap unless it's either something like a starter/mascot/etc they couldn't lock off, or it's something so generic that no one cares. Not that it matters much for Snap, since there's plenty of mons available to fill up a world easily enough, but it does mean that there won't be any Gardevoir photoshoots.

This game is being released in four weeks and we haven't had any new information about it in over a month. I wonder if we will get blitzed with ads in the last two weeks or is it going to be just a very quiet release. I wouldn't mind seeing more gameplay footage myself.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well, while they didn't get to play it first hand, Nintendo Life was invited for an "extensive viewing" of New Pokemon Snap and noted 13 things about it plus other tidbits of info.

Nintendo Life Article
Quick Breakdown:
  1. Voice acting! At least for cutscenes and quick voice clips whenever a text box comes up.
  2. Gyro Controls, though you can turn them off.
  3. As you see more Pokemon as your progress through the game, earlier levels will have some of these Pokemon show up in them.
  4. Levels will have different versions of themselves, such as different time of day.
  5. More dynamic alternate routes, notably coming to forked paths you have to choose the direction to go.

(So 3, 4, & 5 certainly gives the game a lot of replayability, very good to hear)

6. Island Scan is a new tool that's used to analyze a Pokemon as well as draw their attention to you & get them to react.
  7. Lumina Orbs don't only make Pokemon glow but also environmental pieces which can be used to draw Pokemon out of hiding.
  8. Beach isn't the first level.

(Nintendo Life guessing its the forest where Mirror's Lab is; would be neat if they threw us a curve ball and started us somewhere a bit more visually interesting though I'm going to go with Nintendo Life on this one)

9. Though start of the game will offer the player a choice of male & female presets, there will be no more customization after that.

(That's fine, though I at least wished they let you choose skin color, hair color, and eye color instead of having presets. According to GF there's no such thing as darker skin people with blonde hair & blue eyes, and what's a "red-head" and "green eyes"?)

10. There are no bonuses for having other Pokemon game titles on the Switch, New Pokemon Snap is a standalone title.

(now guessing this is definite enough to say it won't also offer a special Pokemon to SwSh... though they didn't directly say that so make of that what you will)

11. As seen, the camera doesn't automatically zoom in when you're ready to take a picture nor do you need to be zoomed out to throw fruit, all functions are now on separate buttons.
  12. There are two ways to edit photos, both of which happen to pictures that Mirror already judged so no additional points. Re-Snap lets you essentially go back to the scene when the photo was taken to crop-in/out, adjust position & focus, add filters, & more. Photo Editing is what we saw with adding stickers onto the photo.
  13. You need a Switch Online subscription to share photos.

Additional:
  • The Professor is named Professor Mirror.
  • The apple-looking fruit you toss are called Fluffruit.
  • Lumina Orbs look to come in different colors, the video shows red while previously the only color we saw was blue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)