New Pokemon Snap - Released April 30th!

Just did the first Illumina mission

This game is really nice. The exploration level mechanic is a fun way to add replayability to the stages, and so is the different tiers of snap shots to fill in the pokedex. Though I do worry it might get a little grindy as the game goes on. The first illumina mission is also a fun way to take the "boss stage" concept Snap had for Mew.

I havent seen a lot of the big movements and tools yet but there's been fun enough stuff so far. I'm really glad this game finally happened.

Incidentally the voice acting is nice too.

The "challenges" are a great idea. The original snap had a bunch of "special" photos but it could be hard to know they even existed and you had little reason to go for them thanks to how the photo album worked.

Though I do wish there was a bit more hint to them. Like if some can only be done at a later research level or if a Pokemon can even be interacted with in such a way that they persist throughout the level. It can be a little obtuse sometimes what causes what to change...for example, my first run through the night version of the first level, there's a dirt mound that had pinsir horns sticking out! ...but I had either no idea how to get it out or lacked the ability to (no fluff fruit or even the scan, i dont think). Since then I've gotten the scan, fluff fruit and orbs but none of my runs have had the horns show back up and I dont know who/what cuases that.

This game has been the biggest breath of fresh air I’ve gotten from Pokemon in a long time. The graphics are awesome and and the levels are very replayable.
For real, it's pretty much my favorite modern Pokemon game right now. Every time I boot the game up, I'm surprised by how thought-out all of the Pokemon's behaviors, encounters, and overall visuals are.

Here's a small album of my current favorite shots:

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-01 14-03-54.png

Tyranitar: King of the Pocket Monsters

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-01 14-36-05.png

Very warm and cozy Heliolisk

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-47-17.png

No, I'm not angry. Shut up.

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-39-08.png

Sacred Fire

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-39-04.png

The Late Cretaceous

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-47-09.png

Headache

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 04-08-39.png

Territorial Confrontation
(Also, when I first saw Typhlosion in the game, I was super happy. One of my favorite Pokemon of all time finally getting the proper representation it deserves. Plus, it gets to fight Charizard, another one of my favorites, which is awesome!)

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-49-29.png

Starfish Repellant

My Great Capture Screenshot 2021-05-02 02-38-58.png

UnaMewsed.​

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, this game is a breath of fresh air, I can say that much. Pokémon has never looked this gorgeous, nor has it ever sounded this gorgeous. I really cannot fathom why they haven't made a Pokémon Snap sequel sooner. Seeing Pokémon in their natural environment is so mind-blowingly excellent I can't understand why they haven't bothered to explore the concept since Nintendo 64. I mean, they kept churning out those Pikachu shorts before every movie, which basically consist of ten minutes of wild Pokémon goofing around, but the games really didn't feature anything close to it. And don't give me "the technology didn't allow it", Snap on the N64 proves that it was possible all along. Anyway, let's let bygones be Bagon, and appreciate the fact that we've finally got a Snap sequel.

And it's a good sequel too.

It's so great to see wild Pokémon in their natural environment. Sprites and models in the main series games are largely static and shown in isolation. While you see Pokémon move around, you don't see them interact. We might have seen Squirtle do a backflip before (it might be one of its animations in some game somewhere?) but it's something entirely different to see it do a backflip off a rock as it's jumping into water ... where it immediately attracts the attention of a Sharpedo and has to swim for its life, while its friend points and laughs from the safety of a nearby rock (let's just assume Sharpedo is going to rough Squirtle up, but not eat it, lest this scene becomes needlessly cruel). Such little spiels really make the Pokémon world come to life. We see Bidoof swimming in a conga line to celebrate their dam being fully constructed. A Finneon showing off its jumping abilities to its friends, but ends up being swooped away by a Wingull. We see Machamp flexing its muscles, Tangrowth displaying an interesting method of locomotion, young Ducklett swimming in a row behind Swanna, Pinsir fighting Heracross, Golisopod meditating in silent caves on the seafloor, Qwilfish puffing themselves up ... this game really brings the Pokémon world to life.

The "realistic" scale of the Pokémon is awesome too, to the point that I really wonder what the eff the designers of SwSh were thinking when they scaled every 'mon to approximately the same size. When you get up close and personal with Pokémon like Onix or Wailord, you really understand how important their size is to their designs. Seeing Wailord break the water right in front of you is a real "whoa!" moment. Same when you attract the attention of Tyrantrum and it starts chasing your pod. Seeing the giant Illumina Pokémon up close is a real experience too.

I really like the concept of each Pokémon having four different "star levels" too, and that there are no exceptions. No Pokémon is only visible once, in the far distance as a short gag, you really have to find them all in four different situations. It's a little annoying that you can only submit photos for one of those situations at a time, but realistically you're going to know how to replicate them on the next run through the stage. Because you're sure to play through each stage a lot of times if you want to catch 'em all - on camera. I must have run through the first stage fifty times already by now, and still haven't found every star level for each Pokémon in it.

The photo quests are a bit of hit-and-miss for me. On one hand, it's great incentive to explore the stages. On the other, it's a little annoying to come back from a stage and receive the quest for a photo you just took, but have no way to submit it again. You have to play the stage again and try to remember how to take the exact same picture. Sometimes, it's a bit hard to understand what you're supposed to do as well.

But overall ... a really solid game that's clearly crafted with a lot of love and attention. There is great variety of biomes, the landscapes look really gorgeous at times, and the world feels so alive. It clearly is the sequel we've been waiting for for all these years.

A noticeable thing that's absent in this game is the lack of forced evolution. In the original, for example, you can knock a Charmeleon into a pool of lava and it'll evolve into a Charizard, lure a Slowpoke into a fishing spot to reel in a Shellder to then evolve into Slowbro, or have a Magikarp ascend a waterfall to evolve into Gyarados.

Speaking of Gyarados...there's no Gyarados in this game?! Considering how prominent Magikarp is throughout most of the stages, I was expecting to see at least one wild Gyarados or a Magikarp evolve into one.

A noticeable thing that's absent in this game is the lack of forced evolution. In the original, for example, you can knock a Charmeleon into a pool of lava and it'll evolve into a Charizard, lure a Slowpoke into a fishing spot to reel in a Shellder to then evolve into Slowbro, or have a Magikarp ascend a waterfall to evolve into Gyarados.

Speaking of Gyarados...there's no Gyarados in this game?! Considering how prominent Magikarp is throughout most of the stages, I was expecting to see at least one wild Gyarados or a Magikarp evolve into one.
Yeah I noticed that there didn't seem to be any evolution in this game. I...guess I can't blame them too much. Even ignoring any style guidlines that have been put in place since then it is a little off that you kept having to agitate Pokemon into forced evolution.

one thing to bonk their heads with an apple, another to force a change like that.

Also i'm still only around half way in but I think there's less (or even none?) situations where you uhhh cause pokemon to get knocked out? I definitely remember that a thing you could force as an interaction, and even needed to do to get places.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
one thing to bonk their heads with an apple, another to force a change like that.
They even go out of their way to explain that Fluff Fruit is definitely not an apple, because it's much lighter and softer, so it doesn't hurt when you're hit by one. I think they really want to tone down any potential for cruelty to animals. That being said, you can annoy the Pokémon quite a bit, such as knocking sleeping Pokémon out of trees.

Also i'm still only around half way in but I think there's less (or even none?) situations where you uhhh cause pokemon to get knocked out?
At the end of the Jungle (Night) stage, you encounter a trio of Morelull walking up to the path. If you hit the first one with a Fluff Fruit, its Effect Spore will activate and it releases a cloud of powder. The Morelull behind it will fall asleep while the one at the rear will stand paralyzed. I guess that counts?

There's also the Magikarp in the first stage, not sure if that one counts. You can lure Pidgeot over to the tree behind it with a Fluff Fruit, and if you hit the Magikarp with another fruit, it will start bouncing. This attracts the attention of Pidgeot, which swoops in and catches Magikarp, carrying it away presumably to a grim fate. If you do nothing, Pidgeot will never notice the Magikarp, and it will continue to flop merrily on its rock by the water's edge.

I beat this yesterday and it was such a treat of a game. And there's still a fair amount to do, for that matter; finding all the alternate routes, leveling up the course exploration, the legendary Pokemon, filling in the photodex (both with all the pokemon AND all the starred photos), the requests, etc.
But for now I'm content to put it down. A very fulfilling game!

My gripes:
-As I said here/elsewhere, the music is a let down. Certainly not helped by the volume being weirdly low even at max, but none of it was especially catchy or memorable
-Missions aren't retroactive, which is annoying when you get something well before the mission unlocks....
-For certain shots, pokemon and Illumina missions the game often wants you to have much better aim with the apples & orbs and that is easier said than done. I had to redo the Durice Illumina spot because the pokemon in question is very fast and your tools are slow and aiming the reticle around and gauging distance can be a little hard in a quick-time situation.
-The Maricopia crystabloom is dumb.
-Exploration Levels seem to hedge a little too much on grinding, sometimes....
-Sometimes the difference between levels is so thin you wonder why they even bothered. Maricopia Beach is, to me, the biggest culprit here.
-Other times you'll go through an early exploration level and see a wide open expanse with nothing going on that is clearly designed for later additions. The desert level comes to mind.
-The game really likes the "pokemon facing away from you" trick and that gets old
-It is not at all clear that sometimes illumina orbs will do nothing at all OR will "power up" the Pokemon and do something really important.

My love:
-Just about every level had a set of setpieces/pokemon that made me go "oh!!!" or "Whoa!!" or "cute!". There's just a really good variety!
-Speaking of, the variety in Pokemon is wonderful! They really dug around all over the Pokedex and set up some fun environments for them.
-The environments themselves are also pretty fun! I'll admit I was expecting retreads of Snap but across the 12 courses there's some really cool areas and structures.
-Alternate pathways was great! With the exception of Maricopia Beach, I thought they added some nice replayability and it was ufn to keep an eye out for where they might show up. Some of them are so intricate they may as well be their own course!
-The fact every single Pokemon has a pair of "special" responses/interactions to look for, rather than just a handful (& primarily Pikachu....)
-The request system is cool, and a good way to hint at special Pokemon and higher level photos.
-The cast was nice; none of them are too special but it added some nice flavor. The fact that the requiest system lets us know that they really ARE exploring things with us & not just being mission control is fun.
-The volcano level!!!!

And one last idle thought... Maricopia is weird. Ignoring my gripes with the crystabloom and the Beach level's differences:
-It's the only region that has 3 levels in it. The others only have 2 (exception to the final island, but that one is special), and those landmasses have some pretty conspicious gaps....
-Beach-Night is only unlocked, for no discernible reason, after starting the Durice levels. With one other exception, every other Night stage is unlocked just by playing through the normal stage and maybe getting a level up
-That one exception being: Reef-Evening. one-ups this by being post-game. ????
-Related, it's weird that it's the only "Evening" stage in the game. Every other stage is Day or Night (or presented neutrally, if there's no time indicator in the stage itself). You even get a special badge for it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
It struck me the other day: I think there is quite a lot of overlap between the genres of Pokémon Snap and those really high-end theme park dark rides. Sitting in a vehicle moving at a constant speed through a landscape featuring sights and sounds around every corner, and the occasional big diorama pulling your attention ... it's not that much different from riding Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland, is it? In a sense, Pokémon Snap is like a virtual theme park ride where cameras are allowed.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
They even go out of their way to explain that Fluff Fruit is definitely not an apple, because it's much lighter and softer, so it doesn't hurt when you're hit by one. I think they really want to tone down any potential for cruelty to animals. That being said, you can annoy the Pokémon quite a bit, such as knocking sleeping Pokémon out of trees.
Just last night, I went behind the waterfall in Jungle (Day) and bonked the Sobble with a fluffruit. Sobble immediately filled the area with its tears while Leafeon started rolling around as if in pain. I got some good photos but I kind of felt like a monster.

Anyway I think I'll break from the crowd and say that Forest is my favourite course. Very spooky and mysterious.

Serebii pointed out that we'd actually seen screens/video of the shrink course ("Secret Path", i believe) from the game's unveil. So that, combiend with my observation from before...
And one last idle thought... Maricopia is weird. Ignoring my gripes with the crystabloom and the Beach level's differences:
-It's the only region that has 3 levels in it. The others only have 2 (exception to the final island, but that one is special), and those landmasses have some pretty conspicious gaps....
I suspect they had to cut the courses from base game for various reasons, so it's nice to see them completed and put in now. Or at the very least, the shrink course; they wouldn't have shown it off if it was always intended as post-launch DLC.

Makes me think we might get one more update, to add a theoretical third Durice course. The river seems to connect the jungle and the forest and badlands connects the desert & volcano, so maybe something connecting the snowfields and cave?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
GATR IS IN
GATR IS IN
On a lesser note, we have a river and a valley course! With this, if memory serves correctly, there is now a New Snap counterpart to all of the basic Snap stages (save Rainbow Cloud). Plus a lot of others. Worthy successor, indeed.

They say 20 new Pokémon are coming, and from what I can tell we see around half of them in this trailer. If I'm not entirely mistaken, these are new (in no particular order):
  1. Psyduck
  2. Gyarados
  3. Feraligatr
  4. Tropius
  5. Shroomish
  6. Snorlax
  7. Swalot
  8. Rockruff
There are also some I expect to show up, namely representatives of the remaining starter Pokémon families. These are the missing ones, as far as I can tell:
  • Totodile family (Feraligatr confirmed for the update, so that's all of Kanto and Johto accounted for)
  • Treecko family (Torchic and Swampert represent the rest of Hoenn)
  • Oshawott family
  • Tepig family (Serperior is the only Unova starter representative)
  • Any of the Kalos starters (the only region not to have a starter representative)
  • Rowlet family
  • Litten family
Those are 8 in total, assuming one representative from each family, so if all were included, there wouldn't be many more left. Perhaps it's a little unrealistic to hope for all 8. But we know two thirds of the starter families are included already, so it would be strange not to add at least some more. The starters are among the most recognizable Pokémon for each generation, after all.

Then again, one thing I really like this game for is its relative lack of favouritism in this respect, so it wouldn't bother me hugely if some of the starters were missing. I mean, they put Meganium on the cover, and none of the "big bosses" of the game are even from Kanto, so it appears they're happy to show off some less-notable Pokémon in this game and not just the big favourites.

I bet the river and badlands have new legendary/mythic Pokemon in them. The only courses without them in the base game were the beach, desert and research camp, and they always make for nice set pieces, so I think it's more likely than not
Secret Path probably won't, or will just use Shaymin again; it's meant to be a new look on the florio park after all.

a gen 5 or 7 legend would be neat to photograph

e: From another forum, Ursaring climbing a tree

Last edited:
Update's been out for a few days, and the new courses are pretty fun

Meanwhile, on the sales front, New Pokemon Snap sold 2.07 million copies between April 30th and June 30th. Not too shabby at all.

Strangely this number excludes Japanese sales? Not sure why.

e: For context, this puts it as the 11th best selling switch title.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)