ORAS OU New Team, help needed!! - Old School Sand Offensive

Hey there, so this is a team I was messing around with, trying out various megas... and I wanted post it here because I've run out of ideas. It performs quite well but there's definitely room for improvement. I need the help of Smogon's community to improve this team yet keeping the essentials the same, and in this case the sand offensive T-Tar & Excadrill core. Please keep in mind I'm not too familiar with sand offensive as a game style... what I do know is that I don't want to go all the way and make a team of all ground and rock types :P
I hope everyone enjoys reading and can contribute some good suggestions!!! :D

Clearly my core is the sand offensive, so I started with Tyrannitar and Excadrill
248MS.png
530MS.png

I then wanted to put a cool Mega that doesn't get used often, so I pushed myself to make Mega Pidgeot shine (actually a pretty good special sweeper)
248MS.png
530MS.png
018MMS.png

Along with this, I needed a physical sweeper/revenge killer so Dragonite came in instantly
248MS.png
530MS.png
018MMS.png
149MS.png

With this sort of team so far, a tanky ice-resisting pokemon was desperately needed, and who could still take care of water types and the threat that is Mamoswine. Freeze-Dry Lapras :D an uncommon choice but quite reliable
248MS.png
530MS.png
018MMS.png
149MS.png
131MS.png

Finally my last pokemon would be Bisharp as it stops Lati@s defog, and other psychic types, while generally also putting in tons of work such as against Clefairy, and who can say no to STAB Knock Off?
248MS.png
530MS.png
018MMS.png
149MS.png
131MS.png
625MS.png

You might be wondering why this isn't the team you see below (and if indeed you think my original team is better or has some better features, let me know)... but the team didn't feel comfortable, there was not enough synergy, so I changed things up. Mega Pidgeot, although awesome, was replaced with Mega Venosaur
248MS.png
530MS.png
149MS.png
131MS.png
625MS.png
003MMS.png

But now I have only one sweeper and when sand wasn't up the team was very slow. Bisharp at this point wasn't pulling his weight and only added more fire and fighting weakness, so I replaced him with Talonflame who could simulate what Mega Pidgeot did but on the physical side
248MS.png
530MS.png
149MS.png
131MS.png
003MMS.png
663MS.png

The final change I made was replacing Lapras with Greninja as I found that it is once again playable on PS OU, and it's an amazing fast special sweeper
248MS.png
530MS.png
149MS.png
003MMS.png
663MS.png
658MS.png

This is the final product you see below :D

First Look:
venusaur-mega.gif
tyranitar.gif
excadrill.gif
dragonite.gif
greninja.gif
talonflame.gif

In-depth:

venusaur-mega.gif

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

So Venosaur is crucial when using Tyranitar and Excadrill because it soaks up water, grass and fighting moves. Sludge Bomb also makes away with fairies if Excadrill is no longer around whilst at the same time making Venusaur a threat to other grass types it might go up against, as the other three moves are useless. Sleep Powder adds great momentum so switch-ins are pretty much screwed. Giga Drain deals damage and is STAB whilst replenishing health in the absence of Synthesis which I think wouldn't work that well anyway in the sand. Leech Seed was a particular one, I feel it's a great anti-stall move and goes well with Sleep Powder. e.g. - pokemon falls asleep, maybe Venusaur can't do much to it, so Leech Seed forces a switch, and I get a safe switch too, and the sleeping pokemon stays asleep for my convenience later :D
I made the Venusaur more physically defensive to make it a better Knock Off switch in, and possibly survive a physical flying move. Also, he is the physical side of my defensive core with T-Tar being the special side. Modest nature... for the power, as I like him as an offensive presence too, plus it adds recovery through Giga Drain.

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

I'm running my own version of utilityTar for this team. Leftovers is I think a great item as it gives some sort of recovery. He's my Stealth Rock setter and puts up the sand for Excadrill. Obviously Stealth Rocks are vital for this team as they whittle down opponent's health song with the sand, and these corrosive elements allow Talonflame or Greninja to easily sweep late game. Roar gets rid of set up sweepers and substitutes, really great as Tyranitar's bulk allowed me to Roar away a Mega Metagross at x2 Speed and x1.5 Attack after living a Meteor Mash (not to mention my Tyranitar is specially defensive). Stone Edge is my STAB move of choice and Pursuit allows me to pursuit trap Lati@s.
The special defensive capabilities of Tyranitar are awesome especially due to the sand boost. But of course Impish nature keeps his defensive bulk reliable. I was considering Weakness Policy as an item but Tyranitar switches in and out constantly, and takes more damage rather than dealing it.

excadrill.gif

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

I love this guy :D He's one of the fastest Rapid Spinners if the sand is up and of course that speed is what makes him essential as my 'whittler'. His role is to rapid spin always, keeping the field safe for Talonflame and Dragonite, but also it is to hit the opponents with attacks and weaken them, putting them in range so my sweepers can take them out. Iron Head and Earthquake are STAB moves of choice, Rock Slide takes care of flying pokemon. Adamant nature ensures the max power in Excadrill's hits whilst still moving first due to max speed investment. Air Ballon allows switching into incoming predictable Earthquakes, and retaliating with one of my own.

dragonite.gif

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

Another monster. Dragonite is my true revenge killer and late game physical sweeper. His Choice Banded Extreme Speed out-speeds all other priority attack moves and deals bucket-loads of damage. Outrage, when no fairies are around, can clean up the field as with Choice Band almost OHKOs anything. The only issue is getting burned, as that renders Dragonite useless, but that's why Talonflame is there, to switch into Rotom-W and then either U-turn out for the incoming scald or just priority attack if it's weak enough. Superpower removes Heatran from existence and then comes Thunder Punch... I had trouble finding a fourth move for Dragonite, and the dilemma was whether to have Ice, Fire or Thunder Punch, as opposed to Earthquake? Thunder Punch has its uses with Rotom, Azumarill, Skarmory and other birds.

greninja.gif

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Ahhh the most controversial frog ever. I myself love it and realise that whilst almost every team has one, it's so dependable. Standard mixed attacking ORAS set, Gunk Shot cleans fairies and grass pokemon, Ice Beam gets rid of dragons and these 'things' called Mandibuzz and Gliscor that would otherwise wall and Toxic stall my whole team. Hydro Pump is obvious. As for Dark Pulse, it was either that or something like Extrasensory. It was a tough choice, but fighting types arn't a problem, so I just found Dark Pulse more useful whilst playing. Also M-Metagross is a big reason for Dark Pulse. Life Orb is the item that gives Greninja the most power allowing it to be the amazing sweeper it is. As for the EV spread... i only invested 8 in attack as it does the job really, and the focus is speed.

talonflame.gif

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Last but not least, Talonflame. I think this creature is just as threatening as Greninja (not to mention it OHKOs Greninja), but is a useful member of this team. This si a fun set to use, as it's not all about the bird spam... i mean it mostly is, but Swords Dance makes it suddenly a DANGEROUS bird spam. Who needs Jolly nature or speed EVs when Gale Wings is around :P
Brave Bird... is obvious, so is Flare Blitz really. But Swords Dance lets Talonflame set up and be that much more deadly so its worth keeping, where as U-turn makes Talonflame an excellent pivot and also useful as a lead pokemon. Sharp Beak makes Talonflame's main STAB stronger whilst allowing some manoeuvrability, rather than being locked into one move with Choice Band. Life Orb would take down Talonflame too fast as he receives tons of recoil. That's why I considered running Roost, but U-turn is way more useful. So this is my late-game sweeper when Dragonite is useless and my Ferroseed remover :D

This is a replay of an insane late-game Talonflame sweep where he single-handedly sweeps 5 pokemon: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-200006549

It proves why Talonflame is SO good, and how this team's synergy is good too.
But I still want to know how I can make it better or if these are the best sets I could be running for my pokemon so please rate!!!

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Dragonite @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

These are here for resect of the 'mons that have been replaced but not forgotten:

lapras.gif

Lapras @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

bisharp.gif

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

tumblr_ndce9aPFK01qzizv5o1_500.jpg

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ground

Attachments

Last edited:
I like the team it's pretty cool and as it stands I can't see many major weaknesses. Just hope the good ol god frog(greninja) doesn't get banned or that sixth spot will be hard to fill

Hey, man, not a bad team. There are a few nitpicks I have though that I think hinder your team quite a bit. Firstly, Banded Dragonite on a Sand team is just... Yeah, don't do that. It's an utter waste of his Multiscale, the only Dragonite that should be used in a Sand team is the famous Sand-nite on some other thread. Overall though, I think your best bet is to just do some rearranging, I'd recommend replacing Dragonite with lead Garchomp and turning your T-Tar into a Banded set. You also seem to get bollocked by Scarfed Lando quite a bit, a shaky solution to that also being in the T-Tar set below which is designed to take an EQ from many powerful hitters like Exca, Garchomp and Lando, and even at -1 Atk he can OHKO Lando with Ice Punch after Rocks. If you do decide to keep D-Nite though then I'll leave Sand-nite below and advise you run Smooth Rock on your T-Tar.
A more solid answer would be running Rotom over Greninja since Gren is going to be banned anyway. As well as being a great defensive pivot for your team, Rotom can hapilly switch into Landos and handle them nicely with Hydro Pump and/or Will-O barring the occasional Smack Down variant. He can also be a decent enough answer to Megagross with on the same basis, maybe not a very happy switch-in to Megagross but then again what is?
Your Talonflame. Run Roost on it. Between recoil and Sand, your T-flame is going to kill itself before being remotely as helpful as he could be. Remove U-Turn, it's a bit of a waste on something that intends to set up and sweep/revenge kill, it's counter-intuitive to the point of SD. Slap Roost on and have a much more fun time ruining lives. Talon's also important to avoid being blitzed by Keldeo, Conk, Mega Venu and the like so you can't be too wasteful of him.
Lastly, your Venu, pretty passive. I'm not entirely sure is Venu even is the best Mega for this team since his best form of recovery, ie: Synthesis, is wasted, but you do need something for bulky Waters so I can't really dispute it. Run the offensive set. Still damn bulky, but does a better job on a team with this much offensive capabilities. With HP Fire, he's a good answer to Scizors and Ferros in particular who you'd rather not hit physically for fear of recoil, especially with Talonflame.
Hope this helps, man. Good luck, fren. :]

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 200 HP / 122 Atk / 188 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Crunch
- Ice Punch

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 128 SpA / 80 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power Fire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)