SM OU New to building. Some help?

Introduction

Hi guys, totally new to team building but have about 700 games played in OU with Various teams. Around a bout 62% GXE and peaked at 1750 on the ladder. I will be totally honest I took all the spreads from smogon(since I don't feel 100% confident in making spreads). This team is build around Ren/Pex core with the focus on Ren setting up and dealing with whiterred down mons with the ability for Gren to late game clean if he needs to.

Teambuilding Process

**Why did you choose this pokemon?**

The Team

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

Wanted a duo core for with Pex. I love the idea of double setup. Can really snowball the game out of control if it gets in on the right pokemon.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Wanted a duo core with Ren, they cover each other decently and have a broad amount of resistance. This team is mainly around Ren. Does a nice job of countering Volc and Blacep(which destroy Ren) as well as a minor check for Gren in the right circumstances. Went with T Spikes to wear down mons and allow Ren the ability to Recover stall as Gren dies to poison(if Ren is at +1/+2. Rest of the set is standard

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Needed a strong mega, went with T-Tar. Does a nice job of bluffing Rocks and allows the opportunity to setup if they attempt to switch out. Since Zygarde is not running around anymore and Rocks + Stone Edge does a decent job of damaging Lando on a switch in I opted to run Pursuit to trap Latios/Latias + Ren, Blacep and Zam. Also is a great Dark resist for Ren(Can setup on Specs/Scarf Gren after it switches into Dark Pulse) and Psychic immunity for Pex

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Needed a bit of speed + priority as well as a special mon that hits HARD. Destroys most of the meta once it gets Battle Bond. Another Psychic immunity for Ren, does a nice job of Revenge killing Lando and dealing with Heatran. Fills the roll of late game cleaner on mons that are low due to hazard damage.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Roost

For Zapdos and Excadrill I will put in the same description. Now I need something to get rid of hazards, a ground immunity, a rocker and something that can switch around to get the right mons in and allow Ren to setup. I also feel I am very Kartana/Scizor weak. I was considering Lando but was not keen on Defog(due to it removing all the work I am doing for withering down mons for Ren, removing spikes/rocks/t-spikes seems counter intuitive. I decided on Zapdos since it checks Kartana and Scizor and added in static as an extra means to deal with them. Volt Switch allows me to maneuver around switch ins and get favorable matchups. HP Ice deals with Turn 1 Landos/Chomps who try to setup Rocks.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

From here I decided on Drill, hes one of the few rapid spinners and synergizes with T-Tar with Sand Rush, also fills the job of Rocker and Fairy crusher. Switches in nicely on Fairy types, deals with Magearna/Koko. Also needed a Z-User so I slapped Steelinium on him. Overall I feel Drill is the least impressive member on this team.

Conclusion

Overall I am happy with this team. Climbed from 1200 to 1750. Even managed to meet and beat OPJellicent on the ladder. I do feel like something is missing from this team and do feel a bit weak to M-Gyarados and Offensive Chomps. Again I have never really built teams. Let me know what you think and if my thought process while building is okay. Any feedback helps!

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Your team looks pretty solid, but I would like to suggest some minor changes:

DD + pursuit on Tyranitar is kinda weird imo, I think that a bulky stealth rocks set might be better. Keep in mind that without ice punch conducting a sweep becomes a difficult task (due to Lando), and without extra bulk forces like Mega-Latios may pass through it given minimal prior damage.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant
Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

I added earthquake for heatran since magma storm + taunt variants are lethal to your ReuniPex.

Having rocks on Tyranitar is key for Excadrill, as this lets it concentrate in sweeping without the added task of being the hazard setter.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Swords dance excadrill in sand is perhaps the most terrifying force of the tier. Just indentify the proper set-up fodder on the opposing team, set up on the incoming Lando, blow it away with corkscrew crash and that's gg on most cases.

Make Zapdos bulkier if you want to better deal with Mega-Gyarados. The analysis that you read states that it outspeeds neutral-natured Kyurem-B and Gyarados. The thing is that they never run neutral speed nature, ask anyone; you are wasting EVs.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice / Defog
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Static + the added discharge is a nice combo to spread paralisys and punish physical attackers. The standard defensive spread is pretty hard for things like Mega-Gyarados or Hawlucha (big threat as well as it can be faster than excadrill in sand and can overwhelm the ReuniPex) to break.
Your HP ice really sounds and is quite unexpected, but you may perhaps want another means of hazard control. The team isn't particularly weak to entry hazards, but three layers of spikes won't leave it indifferent.

Psyshock over psychic is also an option on Reuniclus for calm mind wars, it also hits opposing Toxapex and Chansey harder.

I hoped this was helpful.
Nice team and see ya!

Last edited:
Your team looks pretty solid, but I would like to suggest some minor changes:

DD + pursuit on Tyranitar is kinda weird imo, I think that a bulky stealth rocks set might be better. Keep in mind that without ice punch conducting a sweep becomes a difficult task (due to Lando), and without extra bulk forces like Mega-Latios may pass through it given minimal prior damage.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Adamant
Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

I added earthquake for heatran since magma storm + taunt variants are lethal to your ReuniPex.

Having rocks on Tyranitar is key for Excadrill, as this lets it concentrate in sweeping without the added task of being the hazard setter.

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Swords dance excadrill in sand is perhaps the most terrifying force of the tier. Just indentify the proper set-up fodder on the opposing team, set up on the incoming Lando, blow it away with corkscrew crash and that's gg on most cases.

Make Zapdos bulkier if you want to better deal with Mega-Gyarados. The analysis that you read states that it outspeeds neutral-natured Kyurem-B and Gyarados. The thing is that they never run neutral speed nature, ask anyone; you are wasting EVs.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power Ice / Defog
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Static + the added discharge is a nice combo to spread paralisys and punish physical attackers. The standard defensive spread is pretty hard for things like Mega-Gyarados or Hawlucha (big threat as well as it can be faster than excadrill in sand and can overwhelm the ReuniPex) to break.
Your HP ice really sounds and is quite unexpected, but you may perhaps want another means of hazard control. The team isn't particularly weak to entry hazards, but three layers of spikes won't leave it indifferent.

Psyshock over psychic is also an option on Reuniclus for calm mind wars, it also hits opposing Toxapex and Chansey harder.

I hoped this was helpful.
Nice team and see ya!
This was a big help. The Zap spread has helped a bunch with Lucha/Gyarados

Still trying to get used to T-Tar as more of a support Mon as opposed to a setup sweeper

Hello Varom1332, that's a cool team that you've got there. I think the execution is pretty solid overall, outside of a couple of inapropriate sets. However, there are still some pretty big threats to this team including, but not limited to: M-Alakazam, Tapu Lele, Heatran, Garchomp, and Kartana. Those can be fixed with a few changes, though. So without further ado, let's hop into the rate.

- The first change I'm proposing is Celesteela over Zapdos. Of course, Zapdos s by no means a bad pokemon but you were simply too weak to M-Alakazam and Tapu Lele. That's the reason why I chose Celesteela, as it gives you a reliable check to those, while still checking things like Kartana, Ferrothorn, M-Scizor and Ground-types.

- As the user above me pointed out, DD M-Tyranitar is mediocre in general and only fits in teams that were specifically built around it, which is not the case here. It makes much more sense to go with a SR + Pursuit variant here so that you don't have to rely on Excadrill.

- Since you now have rocks on Tyranitar, you want something else as your 4th move. Just like the user above me, I'd recommend Swords Dance here, in order to drastically improve its breaking capabilities.

~
From here, there are several routes you can take and I wanted to take the time to go through them.

• You could keep the same mons as the team does well against most of the threats. One problem if you go for that route, though, is your matchup against Garchomp seeing as it can really pressure your team early game and you've got limited means of maneuvering around it. One thing you could do is Ice Punch on Tyranitar, but Earthquake is generally superior so I wouldn't really advise that. Two other things you could do are Air Balloon on Excadrill and Z-Haze on Toxapex. The former makes Excadrill a more reliable spinner, immuned to Spikes and able to maneuver around Ground-types, while the latter helps Pex against Heatran (Z-Haze bypasses Taunt).
  • The second route you could go for is going for Tangrowth over Toxapex in order to improve your matchup against both Kartana and Garchomp, while still being able to switch-in on Ash-Greninja. This is not without consequences, however, seeing as Heatran becomes a lot more problematic, and you lose Toxic Spikes. One thing you could do for TSpikes, though, would be to fit them on Greninja and go with a Z-Fight Protean variant.
  • The third route you could go for is Scarf Landorus-T over Excadrill which would also help against Garchomp and Kartana to an extent and give you a hazard remover but kinda goes against your original focus of the team.
Version 1
-------
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

Toxapex @ Icium Z
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Version 2
----
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 88 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

or

Greninja @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Version 3
----
Reuniclus @ Leftovers / Psychium Z
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Psychic
- Recover

Toxapex @ Icium Z / Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Defog

Hope I helped! :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)