SM OU new to competitive pokemon, and overwhelmed

my first team?
Hello guys! As you can tell from the title, I am new to competitive pokemon. I've played random battles on Showdown every now and then, but I never really knew how to build a proper team. I've been watching team building tutorials and looking through smogon, and I'm swamped with the rather hidden complexity of the game. Still, I think I've got something. I feel like I cheated because I copied all the sets from Smogon, but I would've been way too confused if I tried to build a whole new team from scratch. (Sorry about grammatical errors. I've never really participated in any forums and english is not my first language.)

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Every tutorial I watch, one advice comes across every one of them. Pick a pokemon you like to base your team around. And oh boy isn't Ash-Greninja such a cool pokemon to do so. Nothing really special here tho, since all of the sets here are just copied and pasted from Smogon.

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn

The Dual Screen version that I copied from Smogon. Apparently, this one wants to just set up early and get out of there. Taunt is there to prevent defog. It also says that it wants to take as little damage as possible to maybe set up later and excels in really offensive teams, which I would guess mine kind of is.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

This one is the Suicide Lead from Smogon. Focus Sash lets you make sure that you get the stealth rock in before dying. Earthquake is good stab and I guess Rapid Spin is useful. Rock tomb is apparently there for Tornadus-T, but I don't know why there's a move for just one pokemon. It also says you can replace it with toxic but for some reason I decided not to.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

This is the Terrain Seed Sweeper from Smogon and it's absolutely broken. I actually played about 8 games before posting this, and I feel like Tapu Koko, Excadrill, and Hawlucha are the one three pokemon I really used. Is there something wrong here? Hawlucha under screens and a sword dance sweeps their entire team.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly

It seemed like Landorus-T is very popular so I just picked one from Smogon. This one said Ash-Greninja appreciates Landorus-T using Fly and Supersonic Skystrike to clear grass types. Also, as I'm writing this I just realized that this one, as well as Excadrill, run Stealth Rock, probably should change that.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Choice Specs Magnezone from Smogon. To be honest, I was just desperate for another offensive pokemon and I picked a random one out. I don't think I've ever pulled this pokemon out during my 8-9 test battles. I can sense that this one is the one that needs most to be replaced, but I can't seem to get a grasp of which direction to go.

Ok, please be nice. :)

• Sad
Reactions: amg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)