New to competitive pokemon, looking for RU advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm new to competitive pokemon & wanted some advice on a few things for the SS generation of games. I wanted to start in a category like RU as I thought, perhaps it would be a little more forgiving. But coming from casual pokemon to competative pokemon has been very strange for me.

I spent the last week watching videos on good team building, how roles work & what there purpose is, how the diferent Smogon tiers work & all sorts of things, but I am still finding it all very hard. First thing to consider is I am use to building teams around a theme, like a colour theme or animal theme etc. But I increasingly find myself split between RU, UU, NU etc when I try to do this & I don't know if thats a ok thing to be doing or a bad call all around?

Not to mention then there is categories on smogon that I find are not explained well or I can't find videos about like NUBL, or RUBL etc, I think the BL stands for Ban List, but then I find myself wondering, ok, but why am I not aloud to use that pokemon I like, what is so bad about it that makes it banned & where am I banned from if I use it? Am I band from all online play? Just torniments? ranked competitive fights or?

A great example is I wanted to make a pokemon themed around the colours pink, white & black as it reminded me of my favourate treat "marshmallows". I found a perfect colour candidate in Bewear, but then found out it was NUBL. Ok but is that a bad thing? does that just mean I'm not aloud to use it in NU? Or am I not aloud to use it at all? If I am aloud to use it in RU... is there any other pokemon that people could advice to go with my colour theme?

To lay down some ideas of what I am after. I am looking to build some sort of balanced team with maybe 2 offensive pokemon & the rest being walls, utility etc. I feel like this will give me a bit more freedome to experience what competitive pokemon is really about, being slow enough to allow me time to think, but also the ability to lay down some hurt once I get the hang of things.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated, thankyou for reading. xoxox

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I'm not an RU player so I can't give strategy advice, but I can clarify about BL Pokemon:

-Yes, BL stands for banlist. Some Pokemon are banned from RU because their usage has put them in a higher tier (for example, Heatran is used enough to rise to OU, so you can't use it in the lower tier RU.) Some, the BL Pokemon, are banned by the tiering council or through suspect tests for being too strong for the tier. I'm sure you could dig up suspect tests to find ban reasoning for these Pokemon, for example: here's the one for Obstagoon.
-If you try to use a Pokemon banned from the tier the teambuilder just won't let you use the team. Don't worry about getting banned. If you want to use a RUBL Pokemon you can use it in the next higher tier, UU.
-Yes, you can use NUBL (or PUBL) Pokemon in RU, as NU is a tier below RU. NUBL only means it's banned from NU, it's perfectly fine to use in RU (although UUBL Pokemon are banned from RU, as UU is above RU. The hierarchy is Ubers>OU>UUBL>UU>RUBL>RU>NUBL>NU>PUBL>PU>ZU and you can use anything at or below RU.)

From the Smogdex: “Ubers is the most inclusive of Smogon's tiers, aiming to allow the use of as many Pokemon as competitively possible.” Then you have OU below that, then UU, then RU, then NU, and finally PU. An NUBL cannot be used in NU, but can be used in RU.

Banned Pokémon will be banned from the ladder, which is essentially the matchmaking system on play.pokemonshowdown.com, and most tournaments, although some tournaments with custom rules may make exceptions.

If you’re new to competitive Pokémon, learning a single tier first may be a bit easier for you. You can grab some sample teams and begin playing on the ladder right away if you want. You can also join the official RU discord for more in-depth tips on teambuilding, etc.

Welcome to competitive mons, friend.

Welcome to Smogon and competitive battling. I'm a user like you and play a fair bit of RU.

Every player goes through the rabbit hole you're in right now. My suggestion? Take one or two pokemon you want to build around. Then figure out which tier it's best used in. In this case you picked Bewear which is NUBL. That just means it's NU by usage but was banned because it was deemed too powerful for the NU tier. So it's usable in RU and up.

I highly recommend the Smogon dex for looking up Bewear and what sets ir runs. Then pair it with teammates to support what Bewear is trying to or help get past it's defensive answers. As you continue to refine your team, you'll get the insight and practice needed to grow as a player.

One last thing I'll leave you with is the usage stats index for any given month. I won't go into much detail but it reveals statistics for any given tier, including moves most commonly used on any given pokemon along with its items, teammates, and abilities it uses.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-10/moveset/gen8ru-1500.txt

I'm not an RU player so I can't give strategy advice, but I can clarify about BL Pokemon:

-Yes, BL stands for banlist. Some Pokemon are banned from RU because their usage has put them in a higher tier (for example, Heatran is used enough to rise to OU, so you can't use it in the lower tier RU.) Some, the BL Pokemon, are banned by the tiering council or through suspect tests for being too strong for the tier. I'm sure you could dig up suspect tests to find ban reasoning for these Pokemon, for example: here's the one for Obstagoon.
-If you try to use a Pokemon banned from the tier the teambuilder just won't let you use the team. Don't worry about getting banned. If you want to use a RUBL Pokemon you can use it in the next higher tier, UU.
-Yes, you can use NUBL (or PUBL) Pokemon in RU, as NU is a tier below RU. NUBL only means it's banned from NU, it's perfectly fine to use in RU (although UUBL Pokemon are banned from RU, as UU is above RU. The hierarchy is Ubers>OU>UUBL>UU>RUBL>RU>NUBL>NU>PUBL>PU>ZU and you can use anything at or below RU.)
Thanks that is allow of useful information :D

From the Smogdex: “Ubers is the most inclusive of Smogon's tiers, aiming to allow the use of as many Pokemon as competitively possible.” Then you have OU below that, then UU, then RU, then NU, and finally PU. An NUBL cannot be used in NU, but can be used in RU.

Banned Pokémon will be banned from the ladder, which is essentially the matchmaking system on play.pokemonshowdown.com, and most tournaments, although some tournaments with custom rules may make exceptions.

If you’re new to competitive Pokémon, learning a single tier first may be a bit easier for you. You can grab some sample teams and begin playing on the ladder right away if you want. You can also join the official RU discord for more in-depth tips on teambuilding, etc.

Welcome to competitive mons, friend.
So is fighting on play.pokemonshowdown.com not done through the game? Or is it a form of competative play linked through the game? I know that might sound like a completely noob question, but none of the videos I have been able to find really explained that at all, so I do apologise. x

Welcome to Smogon and competitive battling. I'm a user like you and play a fair bit of RU.

Every player goes through the rabbit hole you're in right now. My suggestion? Take one or two pokemon you want to build around. Then figure out which tier it's best used in. In this case you picked Bewear which is NUBL. That just means it's NU by usage but was banned because it was deemed too powerful for the NU tier. So it's usable in RU and up.

I highly recommend the Smogon dex for looking up Bewear and what sets ir runs. Then pair it with teammates to support what Bewear is trying to or help get past it's defensive answers. As you continue to refine your team, you'll get the insight and practice needed to grow as a player.

One last thing I'll leave you with is the usage stats index for any given month. I won't go into much detail but it reveals statistics for any given tier, including moves most commonly used on any given pokemon along with its items, teammates, and abilities it uses.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-10/moveset/gen8ru-1500.txt
Thankyou very much I will make sure to give that a look over :D

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
So is fighting on play.pokemonshowdown.com not done through the game? Or is it a form of competative play linked through the game? I know that might sound like a completely noob question, but none of the videos I have been able to find really explained that at all, so I do apologise. x
Fighting on Pokemon Showdown is not connected to the main games. It's an unofficial simulator made by Smogon to facilitate competitive play. You could in theory play by the same rules in the official games but pretty much all battling/tournament activity with Smogon rules is through Pokemon Showdown.

Fighting on Pokemon Showdown is not connected to the main games. It's an unofficial simulator made by Smogon to facilitate competitive play. You could in theory play by the same rules in the official games but pretty much all battling/tournament activity with Smogon rules is through Pokemon Showdown.
OK cool thanks for that clarification :D that makes allot of sense. x Are the smogon torniments the same thing as the ones held by Nintendo btw? Out of curiosity, or do they play on there own rules? Plus are they also done through the same simulated system? I mean part of me wants to say that they maybe want you to play through the consoles, but then maybe not as certain utilities & acess to more in depth statistics may not be available that way.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Nintendo (technically the Pokemon Company International) has an official tournament system. Matches are played with VGC rules, which is double battles where you pick 4 from a team of 6 each game. You have to play with consoles and in a physical event location.

Smogon is a completely unofficial fanbase that aims to competitively balance single battles (1v1 battles as opposed to double battles) and provide an easier battling resource in Pokemon Showdown. Smogon tournaments are completely separate from the official Nintendo ones and are held on Pokemon Showdown. Showdown is completely unofficial and is not used for the official Nintendo/Game Freak tournaments.

Nintendo (technically the Pokemon Company International) has an official tournament system. Matches are played with VGC rules, which is double battles where you pick 4 from a team of 6 each game. You have to play with consoles and in a physical event location.

Smogon is a completely unofficial fanbase that aims to competitively balance single battles (1v1 battles as opposed to double battles) and provide an easier battling resource in Pokemon Showdown. Smogon tournaments are completely separate from the official Nintendo ones and are held on Pokemon Showdown. Showdown is completely unofficial and is not used for the official Nintendo/Game Freak tournaments.
OK good to know :3 I do like the idea of 1v1 battles. You see the last time I played pokemon at all seriously was back when Pokemon Gold & Silver first came out, I loved those games so much ^_^ But I recently got an OLED switch which reignited my passion for pokemon :D Honestly I do apologise if I ask stupid noob question because of that though, I understand explaining basic concepts can be a chore. x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)