SM OU New to this; how does my OU team look?

This is my first attempt at making a decent team. I did my best to make it work. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

My lead Pokemon, it can set out Stealth Rocks while also walling a ton. Stealth Rock, then Toxic, depending on your HP either use Soft-Boiled or begin chipping away with Seismic Toss. You could also switch into a more offensive Pokemon after setting out the Stealth Rocks.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Another setup Pokemon. Set out a few Toxic Spikes, Recover when your HP gets low, Haze to eliminate boosts from Pokemon like Volcarona, non-taunt Gyarados, and Mega Charizard X, and chip away with Scald. Switch it in on a Waller, and respond with potential burns with Scald or get some Toxic Spikes on the field. I might replace Recover with Toxic or Baneful Bunker, I'm not sure.

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
Ability: Disguise
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw

A great physical sweeper. You all probably know how a Mimikyu is used by now. I really enjoy using Mimikyu, and they're in all of my OU teams.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

THE MIMIKYU DESTROYER! Choice Scarf gives you the extra Speed, Mold Breaker lets you attack through the Disguise, and Iron Head should OHKO. If the Scarf gets knocked off, then you can use Rapid Spin to remove hazards, and Toxic is just a great move to have. I'm actually proud of myself for thinking to use Excadrill.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall

Gyarados was only put in to counter Heatmor and Charizard. I'm willing to switch it for almost anything.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

In this team, Volcarona is my only reliable Special sweeper. Just like with Mimikyu, I always use Volcarona in my OU teams. Again, if you have any suggestions to replace Volcarona, I'm all ears.

Hi, this team looks pretty flawed. It mostly comes from lack of synergy.

Threats:
1544730851463.png
Rain: completley wrecks through this. Toxapex and Chansey both lose to Swampert while the rest is beaten by other common rain members like Ash Greninja.

1544730727168.png
Mega Medicham: Only thing that can outspeed is scarf Excadrill and Mimi can take one zen headbutt from full. The rest of the team just loses.

1544730756749.png
Mega Mawile: Is so strong that it can break your whole team with the all out attacker set or swords dance. Excadrill can’t even scare it much thanks to sucker punch and nothing here can one shot.

1544730707380.png
Stall: Since this Gyarados lacks taunt, there’s no way to win the stall matchup since you’re walled by everything and unaware stops Mimikyu from doing anything. And Chansey is on all stalls so Volcarona is doing nothing.

1544731010866.png
Landorus: If it has a z move, there’s nothing to outspeed except Excadrill, which can’t kill. It can kill pretty much everything. Also, no ground resist.

Hazards: Since the only hazard control is spin on Excadrill, its easy to keep em up on you. Doesn’t help there’s a Volcarona on the team.

1544730662156.png
Protean Greninja: Only scarf Excadrill outspeeds which can be easily handled by its teammates while this thing can use its coverage to dismantle. Z Dig is an issue as it eliminates Toxapex as is Z Fight because Chansey is lured.

1544730606162.png
Manaphy: It can tail glow and take anything it wants out of the game depending on if its energy ball or psychic. It also lives any hit from your team.

1544730564657.png
Zygarde: Again, lack of ground resist. Substitue dragon dance sets (especially with tspikes) irritate this team to no end. It also hates banded.

1544731323264.png
Garchomp: No ground resist and Excadrill being the only way to outspeed. But this thing can not only use z move swords dance to easily break, it also can set up rocks which are super annoying. Its not as annoying if the tank set but still pretty frustrating.

1544730519839.png
Toxapex: Nothing on this team breaks Toxapex (not even Excadrill). Yours can force a stalemate but then if you lose the PP War, its over then and there.

1544731359166.png
Blacephalon: It can substitue up on Chansey and set up some calm minds. Your Toxapex is also phys def so it can’t win easily either. It also gets +1 speed when it kills so Excadrill isn’t an easy out. This requires safe play to keep from winning right away.

I also can’t tell what you were trying to build around or what the main focus of the team is.

I can help you fix this if you want if you tell me what the focus was. Post in here if interested.

Attachments

The way you use this team, Chansey and Toxapex have no place in it, therefore they are useless here.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

THE MIMIKYU DESTROYER! Choice Scarf gives you the extra Speed, Mold Breaker lets you attack through the Disguise, and Iron Head should OHKO. If the Scarf gets knocked off, then you can use Rapid Spin to remove hazards, and Toxic is just a great move to have. I'm actually proud of myself for thinking to use Excadrill.
Excadrill already outspeeds Mimikyu without CS, and has no problem defeating it. In critical late-game situations, CS becomes a burden. For example, say CS Excadrill KOing Mimikyu with Iron Head, now you're locked in. Given the opponent has one or more 'mon left, it could potentially be a type that dual or quad resists Iron Head. Though you could get extremely lucky and flinchkill the 'mon, it's just not worth it.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
There are several 'mons that very well outclass Gyarados-M. Greninja, Ash-Greninja, Keldeo, Pelipper, even Swampert-M and Mantine. Though it depends on the desired purpose for your team, all of these are better alternatives.

Gyarados was only put in to counter Heatmor and Charizard. I'm willing to switch it for almost anything.
You shouldn't put in a 'mon for any reason at all just to counter two 'mons specifically. In fact, Heatmor in SMOU is about the last thing you'll ever see up here. Zard-MX and Zard-MY are easily countered with replacements to Chansey and Toxapex.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost
Volcarona isn't a bad choice, if it sets up. If you're unable to set up the bug, you can practically pick up a pebble and it's dead.

Also, it's completely useless to have two 'mons hold Z-Crystals, as you can only use one per battle.

Some sets:

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z / Ghostium Z / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD or 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Excadrill @ Life Orb / Air Balloon / Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe or 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Greninja (recommended) @ Focus Sash / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Protean / Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe or 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse / Spikes
- Gunk Shot / Ice Beam
- HP Fire / U-turn / Rock Slide / Low Kick / Taunt

Volcarona @ Buginium Z / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Substitute / Roost

Some replacements for Chansey and Toxapex:

Landorus-T
Heatran
Tapu Koko
Tapu Lele
Mawile-M
Zygarde
Hoopa-U

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
There are several 'mons that very well outclass Gyarados-M. Greninja, Ash-Greninja, Keldeo, Pelipper, even Swampert-M and Mantine. Though it depends on the desired purpose for your team, all of these are better alternatives.
What do Pelipper, Mega Swampert and Mantine even "outclass" Mega Gyarados at? This is like saying Tapu Koko outclasses Zapdos or Greninja-Ash outclasses Pyukumuku.
Pelipper's role is completely different as a rain setter rather than a Dragon Dance sweeper, and Mega Swampert is dependent on rain (which isn't being used here so it's irrelevant), while Mantine is a completely different Pokemon and is actually terrible in USM rn. Keldeo and Gyarados-Mega are, again, different, and Gyarados-M is still better in overall viability.

Hello! I know that you are new, but let me say that your team has some flagrant flaws in it. For starters, the presence of Excadrill, Mimikyu and Mega Gyarados suggest that your build is an Hyper Offense team, while Chansey, Toxapex and Volcarona suggest that your team is a Balance build. To not change your offensive core, I recommend to shift the playstyle to a Hyper Offensive (often abbreviated as HO).
Changes (sets)

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
Let's talk about Exca first. On HO, this mon often is used as a Suicide Lead. The reason of this is it's ability: Mold Breaker, which ignores Magic Bounce. Being able to set up rocks against stall is a huge advantage for you, since they deal fixed damage on anything that switch in, easing the job for your wallbreakers and sweepers. As an added bonus, Toxic completly screws Mega Sableye.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z / Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
Although Mimikyu looks like a sweeping machine thanks to it's ability Disguise, which allows it to freely set up on anything bar statusers, it's lack of power often means that a wall will most likely end winning the 1v1. For that reason, Mimi should always be reserved for Revenge Killing instead of Sweeping, given it's more favorable matchup against offense. Ghostium Z is used over Mimikyum Z because it's ability to muscle trough Steel types like Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Mega Scizor, etc.
OR

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite / Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch / Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Bounce
Here is your picking, beating stall or more power. Gyarados-M has the advantage of having Mold Breaker, which ignores Unaware, often used in stall to stop setup sweeper in their tracks, and let's it taunt Mega Sableye. On the other hand, Gyarados has access to the highly powerful Supersonic Skystrike, which let's it break apart bulky grasses that can beat Gyarados-M in a 1v1, and Moxie to snowball though teams, at the cost of being vulnerable to Unaware users.

Changes (Mons)
----->

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn
Given the playstyle changing from pseudo Balance to HO, Chansey getting replaced is pretty much obvious. Tapu Koko's blistering Speed grants plenty of opportunities to set up screens on the early game, to further increase your team's bulkiness; this heavily helps against opposing HOs, BOs and Balance teams, since your mons will have easier set ups. Taunt prevents your screens getting defogged, since most teams only rely on only one defogger most of the time, and also stop your foe's attempts to use Koko as setup fodder.
----->

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Roost
- Swords Dance
What once was a superstar in OU, able to fit in many playstyles, is now a dedicated sweeper on HO teams thanks to it's insane speed after using it's item, because of Unburden. Behind screens, Luchador is pretty hard to revenge kill, often taking between 1-3 mons just to take it out. After a single SD, you can decimate apart defensive and offensive cores alike, at the cost of only being able to activate it's ability once per battle, since the Unburden boost is lost after switching out.
----->

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 228 Atk / 68 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
Finally, here comes the last screens abuser, none than the most infamous snake in OU. Thousand Arrows by itself grants you great coverage, meaning that you can use the other moveslots on set up moves. Zyg's natural high bulk is already high, and boosted by screens, let's you almost freely set up on a lot of mons, like Celesteela, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Zapdos, the list goes on. The good thing is, whatever that zyg has problems to break, Hawlucha tend to have good matchups and viceversa, meaning that even if you lost one, you can finish the opposing team with the other.

Here is the full importable.
https://pokepast.es/2d25ac9e7f025aff

And also, here is a link to the RTM Rules and Guidelines post, very helpful for anyone who want to avoid getting sniped by mods:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rmt-rules-guidelines-must-read-before-posting-an-rmt.3584611/

I hope that my contribution helped you, and that you are happy with the current result :psyglad:. As a tip, I heavily recommend to ask for advise in the Trainers' School chatroom on Pokémon Showdown. People there will help you at learning about the metagame, building better teams, perform better at games, etc.

Last edited:
What do Pelipper, Mega Swampert and Mantine even "outclass" Mega Gyarados at? This is like saying Tapu Koko outclasses Zapdos or Greninja-Ash outclasses Pyukumuku.
Pelipper's role is completely different as a rain setter rather than a Dragon Dance sweeper, and Mega Swampert is dependent on rain (which isn't being used here so it's irrelevant), while Mantine is a completely different Pokemon and is actually terrible in USM rn. Keldeo and Gyarados-Mega are, again, different, and Gyarados-M is still better in overall viability.
Pelipper is A-, Mantine and Swampert-M are B+, and Gyarados and Gyarados-M are B-.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)