Newly Introduced Mega Evolutions in VGC '15

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread should be dedicated to new mega evolution and how they fare in VGC '15. Below is a video that I created stating my predictions on the state of these megas in this season.
Video Description
Code:
Just have my predictions on how Mega Evolutions will fare in the VGC '15 season.
Apologize for poor audio as I am sick and recorded using an iPhone microphone.
Yes, I did skip Mega Lati@s.

All Mega Pictures: http://dashinghero.deviantart.com/

Music:
Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire: Super Music Collection by GAME FREAK

I would also like to hear your predictions on what you think will happen. What do you agree/disagree with?​

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
First things first, MegaMence and MegaGross are probably going to be some of the best Megas in the year's VGC, no questions asked. Mence was already pretty great without his mega, but now, it's going to be even more of a monster. In a different vein, MegaGross is probably going to go for as much bulk as it can while also maximizing on its offensive capabilities. Both of these are going to be mons that everyone's going to need to cover when making team.

Of course, there's also Mega Gallade who seems to be a really nice check to MegaMom, being immune to flinches, having a lot of nice speed as well as access to Drain Punch to recover on any hits it takes.

That's just my first impressions on this new meta when it comes to megas. I'm sure as the meta evolves new things will come out of the woodwork. Who knows? Maybe Mega Sceptile could be cool?

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Yeah I agree mence is going to be insane. Not too sure about mega gross right now but he's pretty cool when I was testing it. With cresselia coming back I can see more people playing trick toom so mega camel/aboma might be pretty good. helping hand boosted eruption from mega camel hits like a truck. I'm curious as to see which mega is used the most and how the sets will change in accordance to the meta

Salamence, Metagross, and possibly Gallade I think are going to take center stage as far as new megas go for reasons already mentioned.

I've been on the fence lately with Mega Swampert. I honestly feel like LO/specs kingdra can do swamps job just fine without taking a mega slot, but at the same time swamp has the niche of being the ONLY swift swimmer that is immune to electric and, more importantly, thundurus twave which I think is going to be a super important quality this year. Swampert is also pretty bulky and unlike kingdra isnt weak to draco meteors or fairy moves. However, at the same time swamp doesnt get a speed boost right away and has to wait until the turn after it evolves which sucks. Still good potential for a pokemon but I'm gonna have to see some more of the meta developments to be sure on how he will go.

Of course theres probably going to be megas that show their value more as time goes on and the meta changes, kinda like how Manectric got more popular a bit later last season

I've been playing around and found myself not bringing Mega-mence to more and more battles. It's a really good pokemon, but everyone has a counter or 3 for it. MegaGross, on the other hand, is incredible. It's really hard to take down and with all the fairy types around, meteor mash puts in work. Running Ice punch is great too, since it can take a hit from almost all dragons and Landorus-T and KO them back.

The only other Mega I've played around with is Mawile, who's usage seems to have plumetted. For good reason too, its been underwhelming in all the battles I've played with him.

I think you downplayed some of the new megas a bit in your video.

Mega Camerupt is a potentially excellent addition to TR teams. It beats several TR checks including Amoonguss, Taunt Thundurus and bulky Steel types such as Aegislash, Scizor and Bisharp. It also pairs well with setters and potential abusers such as Cresselia, Gourgeist, Trevenant, your own Amoonguss and Azumarill. TR is a good way to check several of the new megas like Salamence and Metagross, so I'd expect Camerupt to put in a reasonably strong showing as the meta is explored.

In its base form Glalie gets Moody, giving you the opportunity to stall for stat boosts before Mega Evolving and attacking with Ice/Ground coverage. It's not the most consistent strategy but worth considering Glalie for more than just a powerful Ice-splosion. Even just a single boost in the right stat can help swing a game. We all know how scary Moody can be when it gets out of hand.

Mega Lopunny gets a few notable advantages over Kangaskhan, namely Encore. Encore, in combination with its blazing base 135 speed, can let it lock down opponents and allow its teammates to set up or sweep in the face of their checks. Encore also encourages opponents switching and punishes the use of Protect or other set up moves, massively easing prediction and giving Lopunny free reign to pound things with Scrappy High Jump Kick. Also remember that Lopunny gets access to Low Kick - most Fighting-weak mons in VGC 2015 will be pretty heavy.

Lopunny is the one I've tried out the most on PS! and on cart, using it alongside powerful attackers like Specs Sylveon and set mons such as Sub Aegislash and Tailwind Suicune. I haven't been disappointed. If you build your team to take advantage of Lopunny's ability to create free turns it can really shine, but it's not as individually threatening as Kang is.

Mega Beedrill is scary as hell and can put in a lot of work but you pretty much need to build your whole team around supporting it and beating its checks. I doubt it will see that much use except by players dedicated to making it work.

Mega Lopunny gets a few notable advantages over Kangaskhan, namely Encore. Encore, in combination with its blazing base 135 speed, can let it lock down opponents and allow its teammates to set up or sweep in the face of their checks. Encore also encourages opponents switching and punishes the use of Protect or other set up moves, massively easing prediction and giving Lopunny free reign to pound things with Scrappy High Jump Kick. Also remember that Lopunny gets access to Low Kick - most Fighting-weak mons in VGC 2015 will be pretty heavy.

Lopunny is the one I've tried out the most on PS! and on cart, using it alongside powerful attackers like Specs Sylveon and set mons such as Sub Aegislash and Tailwind Suicune. I haven't been disappointed. If you build your team to take advantage of Lopunny's ability to create free turns it can really shine, but it's not as individually threatening as Kang is.
I think it's a bit early to sing the praises of lopunny right now as common doubles leads can give it issues, specifically m-khang and any prankster taunter together would shut it down with fake out on lopunny's partner and taunt onto lopunny and it's "advantage" of having encore becomes null and void.

as i see it, there's three kinds of megas: ones that are complete shit, ones that are 'okay'/playable/niche/double mega material, and the ones you can build teams around. of the new megas, here's my rankings:

A Rank Megas:
Mega Metagross
Mega Salamence
Mega Altaria (?)
Mega Latias (?)

B Rank Megas:
Mega Camerupt
Mega Swampert
Mega Sceptile
Mega Slowbro
Mega Gallade

C Rank Megas (don't use these pls):
Mega Pigeot
Mega Beedrill
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Sableye
Mega Lopunny
Mega Glalie
Mega Steelix
Mega Latios
Mega Audino

can we agree not to talk about anything in C rank? thanks.

megas like slowbro and camerupt are weird because i'm the kinda guy that uses trick room pretty extensively, but i haven't been impressed with slowbro in the past and now that it loses oblivious upon mega evolution makes it so that i'd be tempted to keep it unevolved and therefore not make use of its mega stats. camerupt is super fun to play with, but the biggest problem is of course the fact that it can't work outside of trick room like mega mawile because of that nasty x4 water weakness and the lack of priority moves.

mega swampert is something that i could see work, but honestly i don't see myself using it extensively. it stacks weaknesses with politoed and doesn't really help you get past grass types outside of non-stabbed ice punch. that's a big problem in my eyes, but i could see it working with manual rain, since you have to take a turn for swift swim to come into play anyway. even if you don't have rain, you could probably just slap the mega stone on it since megas aren't as essential as they were in VGC14 in my opinion.

mega sceptile and gallade are pretty weird pokemon. on one hand they're (relatively) frail and weak to talonlame, but on the other they can offer cool support options like quick guard and lrod redirection. mega sceptile would be the one to use support options though since admittedly it really only has dragon pulse and leaf storm for attacking options, and that support would probably be limited to quick guard and sitting there for lightningrod. as a speedy attacker, it'll face competition from contrary serperior (or does, since it's allowed on battle spot right now). gallade as a mega probably uses all of its moveslots on some combination of protect, close combat, ice punch, zen headbutt or knock off. it's a shame you don't keep justified since bisharp is so common now.

i think we'll see more mega latias in the midseason if we see any kind of redirection abuse like we saw with mega blastoise/charx. that bulk and speed lends itself to calm mind setup if you can efficiently get rid of megagross and bisharp (which shouldn't be hard to do). i can't say i would use mega latias for any other reason other than just a filler item on a regular support latias. mega altaria is in the same boat, but with arguably better typing (outside of megagross) and dragon dance. hyper voice could work too, but i don't see it commanding games the way a +1 return would. hyper voice does better in the lategame when things are weakened (this goes for megamence too)

i might comment on megamence and megagross later since i've naturally used/faced those extensively in my few battle spot outings.

While we're at it, I think loping has potential. I wouldn't toss that one out yet. On the other hand, altaria and latias aren't in the same boat as meta gross and mence, and I've seen more Camerupt and swampert than either of them.

yeah, i don't think latias and altaria are on mence and meta's level, but i think they're better than B-rank pokemon right now.

altaria is like a bulkier mega gardevoir, but weak to sylveon if you're using it for hyper voice, and hyper voice seems to only really work in the lategame as a spread move with no drawbacks besides the fact that it's not /that/ strong. weaken stuff before you try spamming hyper voice imo. monoattacking return with dd/roost/protect would be the setup set i would use, though with my experience with megamence smogdubz and VGC15, it's comparatively harder to pull off in a 4v4 setting.

coolking49, i honestly don't care about how many camerupt and swampert you've faced when dealling with how good pokemon are. it's like saying deer make good pets because you see them around a lot. i'd care more about your personal experience if you had tangible statistics; it's not hard to take notes or type stuff out on a spreadsheet. if you'd like to convince me that swampert and camerupt make just as good or even better megas than latias and altaria, saying 'oh i've seen them more than these two' is not a good place to start. same with lopunny.

e: i haven't watched your video birch, but regardless of the quality/content, i appreciate the fact that you did make it.

Last edited:
While we're at it, I think loping has potential. I wouldn't toss that one out yet. On the other hand, altaria and latias aren't in the same boat as meta gross and mence, and I've seen more Camerupt and swampert than either of them.
Have to agree with lucario on the camerupt and swampert and have to add that just because you see it a lot does not mean it's better than another, it's like saying that zubat and golbat were great pokemon in gen 1 because you saw them a lot more than any other pokemon when running around in caves. If we judged things by how much we saw them then everyone would think pigeons are great because they're everywhere.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it's a bit early to sing the praises of lopunny right now as common doubles leads can give it issues, specifically m-khang and any prankster taunter together would shut it down with fake out on lopunny's partner and taunt onto lopunny and it's "advantage" of having encore becomes null and void.
Except that Lopunny runs Fake Out itself and is naturally faster than Mega Kangaskhan even in it's base form (not to mention most of the rest of the format after mega evolving) and that Lopunny is played almost exclusively as an all-out attacker, making Taunting it a waste of a turn? I really think that Lopunny is being downplayed here in a big way: It's flawless coverage, access to a strong Fake Out that cannot be blocked by Ghosts, ridiculous speed stat and unparalleled versatility with it's last moveslot makes it a physical attacker to be feared. While it's certainly no wallbreaker, it's high BP moves make up for it's weakness relative to Kangaskhan, and it puts in so much work against frail and fast attackers (like Greninja and Gardevoir).

it's like saying that zubat and golbat were great pokemon in gen 1 because you saw them a lot more than any other pokemon when running around in caves.
it's like saying deer make good pets because you see them around a lot.
In an environment were people are playing to win, Pokemon are used only because they are good. A Pokemon having high usage does imply that it's good because of this.

In an environment were people are playing to win, Pokemon are used only because they are good. A Pokemon having high usage does imply that it's good because of this.
without usage stats, 'high usage' implies nothing. i'm just WAITING on people to drop statistics on this thread to prove me wrong but so far it hasn't happened.

Except that Lopunny runs Fake Out itself and is naturally faster than Mega Kangaskhan even in it's base form (not to mention most of the rest of the format after mega evolving) and that Lopunny is played almost exclusively as an all-out attacker, making Taunting it a waste of a turn? I really think that Lopunny is being downplayed here in a big way: It's flawless coverage, access to a strong Fake Out that cannot be blocked by Ghosts, ridiculous speed stat and unparalleled versatility with it's last moveslot makes it a physical attacker to be feared. While it's certainly no wallbreaker, it's high BP moves make up for it's weakness relative to Kangaskhan, and it puts in so much work against frail and fast attackers (like Greninja and Gardevoir).
i think you need to be reminded that HJK takes off half of your health EVERY TIME YOU TARGET A PROTECT. i also think you need to be reminded that literally everything can at any point use protect. "but lucariojr, you can just predict around protect and use HJK!" is an argument that's only relevant if you can read minds. prediction goes both ways and i would much rather use something that doesn't bite me in the ass when i get outsmarted on something as common as attacking into protect. the next best thing is return which can't score any SE hits even if it can get a few more neutral hits, then low kick which varies in usability and only caps out at 120 (same as close combat) against a select few pokemon. if you've ever played garchomp, you know that it has a hard time scoring OHKOes with a ~135 base attack with a jolly nature and without a boosting item. mega lopunny is in the same boat, but it has 1. worse defenses to cover itself when it misses out on a KO 2. an unreliable STAB option that undermines its already poor defenses which happens to be its main weapon 3. it requires some form of outside chip damage or helping hand to grab OHKOes on even (physically) frail pokemon like gardevoir. example:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 127-151 (88.1 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO - garde can just run a teeny tiny bit more defense to avoid any possible OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 124-147 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - when has greninja been relevant, exactly?

and these are the pokemon you said it "puts so much work against". even with ice punch:

-1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 132-156 (80.4 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

...you're not doing anything impressive.

ok, so at this point if you can accept that lopunny isn't very strong and has an unreliable option that would be needed for it to be considered strong, let's look at lopunny's other qualities: a fake out that can't be blocked by ghosts, its speed, and what it can do with a third slot. first off, kangaskhan (a much better mega) can fake out ghosts already, so that's nothing new (and honestly, not amazingly useful). its speed is good, but guess what else has speed? answer: everything when paired with speed control from stuff like thundurus's twave, cresselia's icy wind/trick room, and of course talonflame. we're in a meta that has access to speed control; having absurd speed means a lot less nowadays. ok, so now what can it do with that third slot? notably, you have ice punch (covered before), a second fighting move (which might be a decent pick, actually), and encore. encore synergizes most with HJK and fake out, so it's probably the best option. but even then, we have raichu, which acts as better team support with lightningrod. also with encore, fake out and HJK, you're strapped for moveslots and have to choose between return and any hope of survivability with protect.

in conclusion: mega lopunny sucks.

Mega-Altaria needs a lot of team support. But if you get it, she counters Mence pretty well, and some of her common teammates counter her checks hard.
altaria doesn't counter mega mence because its main attacking type is flying. physical altaria has a harder time with it, and i'm not entirely sure if hyper voice can ohko it. it does naturally do a lot to it though as a fairy type.

what would your idea of teammates be? what checks would they counter?

Have to agree with lucario on the camerupt and swampert and have to add that just because you see it a lot does not mean it's better than another, it's like saying that zubat and golbat were great pokemon in gen 1 because you saw them a lot more than any other pokemon when running around in caves. If we judged things by how much we saw them then everyone would think pigeons are great because they're everywhere.
No, because golbat and zubat were programmed into the game, it wasn't a choice for people to encounter them. People using Camerupt and Swampert is a choice, just like usage based tiers. It's like saying Mega-Kanga or Landorus-T aren't good despite the fact that they are commonly seen, which could be true, but clearly isn't. I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just saying that's a terrible example.

coolking49, i honestly don't care about how many camerupt and swampert you've faced when dealling with how good pokemon are. it's like saying deer make good pets because you see them around a lot. i'd care more about your personal experience if you had tangible statistics; it's not hard to take notes or type stuff out on a spreadsheet. if you'd like to convince me that swampert and camerupt make just as good or even better megas than latias and altaria, saying 'oh i've seen them more than these two' is not a good place to start. same with lopunny.
Ethan06 talked about what Lopunny can do, and honestly I haven't tried it out yet so I can't speak for its effectiveness. In therory it has a solid niche, which is more than any of the other pokemon in that tier can say. Also, you don't account for the fact that Low Kick is a totally viable fighting STAB move it could use. It doesn't have to be the primary STAB. It just has to hit Steel, rock, and Normal types hard. Everything else is better off getting hit by return.

As for Camerupt, I've been using it, and can speak to its effectiveness. I can throw out stats (It outspeeds everything under TR, has a massive Special Attack, a great STAB spread move (heat wave), dual STAB which hits everything but flying/dragons and rotom-w, and a great ability). It might be the single easiest pokemon I've ever used in doubles: Unless they have a water type or wide guard user out, just spam Heat Wave unless you see something which can take one (or a wide guard user). Earth power and Ancient Power take care of almost everything else, and anything with an ice or fairy type move can take care of dragon types (Cresselia comes to mind). Think about it like this: Mega-camerupt's heat wave is more powerful than Mega-Salamence's Hyper Voice and Mega-Altaria's Hyper Voice. That's not to say it's as good as Mega Salamence - it requires more support - (I would personally say it's better than Altaria), but in terms of pure power it matches up.

I haven't used Swampert, but as you said, it definetely has a niche. I don't know if rain teams will find a use for it, given that Kingdra and Ludicolo might be better - they don't take up a mega slot. That being said, it's the most natural mega for a rain team, and rain teams are as common as ever. I don't know if deserves to be in a class with Mence, but its above Gallade and Slowbro.

I'm curious as to why you put Latias so high, since I don't know why you'd use it over normal Latias. It seems inferior to Salamence or Altaria (depending on the role) as far as megas are concerned. I'm sure people will find a use for it, I just don't think its as good as you make it out to be.

If I were to make a list of mega-tiers for VGC, here's what I'd think it looks like:
S Rank:
Metagross
Salamence
Charizard Y
Kangaskhan
Mawile

A Rank:
Camerupt
Altaria
Swampert
Sceptile
Venusaur
Gengar
Gyarados
Tyranitar
Blaziken

B Rank:
Lucario
Lopunny
Latios
Latias
Slowbro
Gallade
Blastoise
Manectric
Abomasnow

C Rank:
Bannette
Absol
Garchomp
Aerodactyl
Aggron
Medicham
Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Pinsir
Alakazam
Charizard X
Pigeot
Beedrill
Sharpedo
Sableye
Glalie
Steelix
Audino

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
without usage stats, 'high usage' implies nothing. i'm just WAITING on people to drop statistics on this thread to prove me wrong but so far it hasn't happened.
Unfortunately we don't have usage stats for VGC15 yet - even the vanilla Battle Spot Doubles ladder is still on XY so for now, there's nothing :/

i think you need to be reminded that HJK takes off half of your health EVERY TIME YOU TARGET A PROTECT. i also think you need to be reminded that literally everything can at any point use protect. "but lucariojr, you can just predict around protect and use HJK!" is an argument that's only relevant if you can read minds. prediction goes both ways and i would much rather use something that doesn't bite me in the ass when i get outsmarted on something as common as attacking into protect.
I don't believe I ever mentioned High Jump Kickin my initial argument, and even if I did then HJK is a terrible idea in Doubles and I'll readily apologise for bringing it up. With Lopunny, you're far better off using Low Kick, an attack that will still hit plenty hard on the things you need to hit with it despite the drop in power:

252 Atk Lopunny Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 500-592 (123.7 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Lopunny Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 192-228 (136.1 - 161.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Lopunny Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 136-160 (78.6 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the next best thing is return which can't score any SE hits even if it can get a few more neutral hits, then low kick which varies in usability and only caps out at 120 (same as close combat) against a select few pokemon. if you've ever played garchomp, you know that it has a hard time scoring OHKOes with a ~135 base attack with a jolly nature and without a boosting item. mega lopunny is in the same boat, but it has 1. worse defenses to cover itself when it misses out on a KO 2. an unreliable STAB option that undermines its already poor defenses which happens to be its main weapon 3. it requires some form of outside chip damage or helping hand to grab OHKOes on even (physically) frail pokemon like gardevoir. example:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 127-151 (88.1 - 104.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO - garde can just run a teeny tiny bit more defense to avoid any possible OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 124-147 (83.7 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - when has greninja been relevant, exactly?

and these are the pokemon you said it "puts so much work against". even with ice punch:

-1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 132-156 (80.4 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

...you're not doing anything impressive.
With these calcs, you're missing out on one big draw that Lopunny has: Fake Out. Assuming you're a good player and don't bank it straight into a Protect, you're adding a clean 40 BP worth of damage onto any of the calcs you listed above, turning them into easy OHKOs:

252 Atk Lopunny Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 51-60 (35.4 - 41.6%)
252 Atk Lopunny Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 51-60 (34.4 - 40.5%)
-1 252 Atk Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 27-33 (16.4 - 20.1%) (still not a guaranteed OHKO but the chance is very high)

Even without the possibility of team support (such as the mentioned Helping Hand, or chip damage from sources such as sandstorm or other teammates' attacks), which a well-built team would certainly incorporate, Mega Lopunny is very capable of ensuring that frailer attacks go down before they have a chance to affect the game, and even against bulkier opponents it makes for an effective disruptor.

in conclusion: mega lopunny sucks.
Not an S rank mega, for sure, but I don't think it sucks quite as much as you think it does. As both your calcs and mine show, Lopunny is more than capable of punching holes in a wide variety of common VGC15 Pokémon, and with team support can do very well in the format. I'd definitely put it in at an A-/B+, not a Mega Salamence or a Mega Kangaskhan (those are big boots to fill), but it can differentiate itself from those two and the other megas in the format with it's strengths. I can see why you might find it a bit underwhelming, but it's definitely an able Pokémon and definitely not a mega that's deserving of a place among the likes of Sharpedo and Banette. n_n

(might come back and pad this argument out later, it's late and I'm probably not covering everything I need to cover here. Oh well, I got my main points across n_n)

Last edited:
Mega Lopunny is too frail to want get away with just dealing damage, for Lopunny to actually stay alive it needs to be getting KOs, something it can't do that consistently. Mega Lopunny is a waste of a mega slot, your mega is of high value so you want it to be bulky and powerful this thing is neither. Calcs mean next to nothing by themselves, in practice Mega Lopunny is shit.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
i think you need to be reminded that HJK takes off half of your health EVERY TIME YOU TARGET A PROTECT. i also think you need to be reminded that literally everything can at any point use protect. "but lucariojr, you can just predict around protect and use HJK!" is an argument that's only relevant if you can read minds.
Then give it some team support? Feint or fast encores should be enough to discourage protect.

Then give it some team support? Feint or fast encores should be enough to discourage protect.
What you're saying here is, if I understand correctly: a Pokemon, you're arguing is good, should rely on team support to be useful. Being reliant on team support isn't usually a good thing. You're creating a circumstance in which Mega Lopunny is good, not explaining why it is good generally.

Team support is inconsistent, there will be situations where you are unable to use Feint or Encore.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have been messing with Mega Gallade a bit, and the inner focus taunt compression it provides in order to bypass the need for Trick Room killers is a lot better than I thought it might be. Trick Room killers are quite viable though, so its compressing features of a strong fighting-type, fast taunt (after Mega Evolving), and Fighting killer are needed to fit it on a team. The mega slot opportunity cost and inability to touch Aegislash is also rather discouraging, but it is definitely worth using if you have a thing for niche mons like I do.

No, because golbat and zubat were programmed into the game, it wasn't a choice for people to encounter them. People using Camerupt and Swampert is a choice, just like usage based tiers. It's like saying Mega-Kanga or Landorus-T aren't good despite the fact that they are commonly seen, which could be true, but clearly isn't. I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just saying that's a terrible example.
Actually no it doesn't, any kind of statistics are so hard to decide if something is good or not unless it's got somewhere near broken usage stats of like 30-55%+ usage among megas and 55%+ win percentage then I'd say it's good.

I noticed that, but then she also falls to MegaGross and Steel-types
altaria doesn't counter mega mence because its main attacking type is flying. physical altaria has a harder time with it, and i'm not entirely sure if hyper voice can ohko it. it does naturally do a lot to it though as a fairy type.

what would your idea of teammates be? what checks would they counter?
It does, as with some investment, it can
212+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Salamence: 170-204 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 135-159 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- mixed attacker
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 147-174 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- Physical attacker
252+ SpA Aerilate Mega Salamence Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 75-88 (41.2 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO -- Special Attacker

Mega Altaria needs Tailwind support-- found quite easily in Talonflame-- which then threatens with Flare Blitz. +2 speed (200 speed) means she outspeeds Mega-Mence, and OHKOs.

Yes she does fall to MegaGross, which other pokemon can take out. Suicune also has tailwind and threatens MegaGross with scald, and Mence with Ice Beam/Icy Wind. Fire Blast also usually deals a significant amount to MegaGross. Heatran also threatens MegaGross, and with Air Balloon, works pretty well as a partner

212+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 110-130 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Mega Altaria: 86-104 (47.2 - 57.1%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Mega Altaria: 98-116 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Meteor Mash always OHKOs.

Mega Altaria also threatens Mega Gallade pretty well

212+ SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gallade: 126-150 (87.5 - 104.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Gallade Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Mega Altaria: 90-108 (49.4 - 59.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Gallade Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 44 Def Mega Altaria: 100-118 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Altaria should always run roost as well. So she can actually take some hits

Also, why would you not run intimidate next to her, which lowers her chance to be 2HKOed by Bullet Punch, as well as acting as a pseudo boost to her defenses? Lando-T with Rock Slide and U-turn, or Hitmontop with Wide Guard and Helping Hand, or Gyarados with Waterfall and Ice Fang? All great team options.

No, Mega Altaria isn't S rank, but she should stop being counted out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)