Project Next Best Thing (Week 11 - Dragalge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And . . . with 2 votes to 1, Hot N Cold wins with LO Rotom-C! Week 3 will be released later.

Week 3
1590271134299.gif

Why not start Week 3 with a top-tier threat: Slurpuff I mean Salazzle. It has a good ability in Corrosion which allows it to cripple Pokémon switching in. Happy posting and you may now begin submitting. Salazzle’s analysis is here.

Week 1 Winner: Calm Mind by Mavis

Week 2: Life Orb by Hot N Cold

1st - Tie between Mavis and Hot N Cold - 3 pts
2nd - Tie between The Amuse and Heracross2.0 - 2 pts
3rd - MrAldo - 1 pt
4th - Tie between Dreamcatcher and Taerim - 0 pts

Since this is the last week to be completely in May, we’re doing double points! Also, the 1st placer by the end of this month gets to co-host with me. If it is a tie and there are more than one eligible candidate, we will do a special round.

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Salazzle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Mud-Slap
- Knock Off

248 SpA Salazzle Mud Shot vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Salazzle: 324-384 (116.1 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Although SS took away Salazzle's best coverage move in Hidden Power, SS gave Salazzle access to the rare and highly sought after coverage move Muds-Slap which lets it rk and ohko itself while still retaining epic momentum vs the mons that hard walls it :psywoke:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Salazzle (F) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Belch
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

This is a set that was lowkey you never wanted to face in SM RU if you relied on a scarfer to handle this monster. 30 HP means she has an hp divisible by 4 so the salac berry will be triggered after 3 subs. Eat the Salac Berry to unlock the ability to use Belch and this thing is a nuke to even resists at +2, only rhydon can take it. Last move obligatory move, fire blast if you are brazy and flamethrower is you just want reliable cleaning cause a salazzle at +1 is impossible to outspeed. Have fun.

Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Nasty Plot
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Based on the popular stall breaker set. Can force pokemon out such as Vileplume, Rillaboom, Virizion, and can Toxic checks such as Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Coallosal. While also acting as a late game sweeper

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 232 SpA / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Disable
- Flamethrower

This is a play on the sub toxic set which replaces Protect with Disable. The idea is that there are a lot of defensive counters which only have 1 move to break your substitute (Defog Zard, most Jellicent, most vaporeon, etc.). The EVs let you live +2 fire blast from opposing lazzle 100% of the time (or sludge wave? Idr off the top of my head) which can let you toxic it, or flamethrower it if it’s weakened.

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
Salazzle (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

with this set, you knock on the immediate switch-in to regular checks such as vaporeon, which does not really indicate you're specs, then the next time they come in, if they're around 75% or so and comes in on rocks, you can actually 2hko it, which makes it unable to do wish protect stuff. dmg potential is rly good vs offense also, because they wont expect the damage right off the bat, does stuff like ohko indeedee after rocks, which it doesnt do with any other set. calcs below kinda show dmg potential of this set.
252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Indeedee: 250-295 (95.7 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Salazzle Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Vaporeon: 162-192 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (made the vaporeon 75% in the calc to demonstrate my point)

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
So I was working on trying to find a set and my eyes spotted Dragon Dance on the move selection screen, then I got an idea...

1590513025119.png

Salazzle (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Lash
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Knock Off/Toxic

This version of Salazzle opts for physical power over special power and can handle or cripple many of its checks to the special set, such as Claydol and Snorlax. It's STAB combination is only resisted by Coalossal, Rhydon, Drednaw, and itself, letting it tear holes into even neutral switch-ins at +1, and it will naturally get a chance to setup since it resists a whopping 8 types and forces switches with its presence. Dragon Dance lets it boost (and 192 Speed EVs are to outspeed base 95 scarfed at +1, although if you want to run Jolly for extra bulk then 80 EVs have the same effect), Fire Lash secures 2HKOs something like Flare Blitz wouldn't while keeping it healthy and making Mudsdale a shakier counter, and a Poison STAB (classic argument between power and consistency) lets it hit everything Fire Lash resists after a Defense drop. Knock Off is better at crippling offensive threats while Toxic puts a timer on common defensive threats not named Vaporeon (and if you're using Toxic, then running Corrosion is preferred). Oblivious is so Intimidate Scrafty can't stop a sweep and Taunt doesn't faze it.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salazzle Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 276-325 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salazzle Gunk Shot vs. 188 HP / 152 Def Snorlax: 308-363 (60.6 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salazzle Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Jellicent: 286-338 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Salazzle Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Indeedee: 463-546 (177.3 - 209.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
putting the pressure

Drampa @ Yache Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Roost

Weather is annoying, this set deals with weather / veil teams. This set hard counters ninetales which takes 70 minimum from Surf and does 27 back with fire blast + if you catch it using solar beam on the switch it’s a free kill. It also 1v1s leafeon and sun plume, you need to watch out for zard’s focus blast though. yache takes 67 max from vanilluxe’s blizzard, so in theory you can switch in to block veil and fire blast OHKOs in return. The speed EVs catch Adamant Rhydon and things that aim to beat that, surf KOs rhydon in return obv. CM > surf is an option for more utilityvs defensive teams.

Since tomorrow finally came here and only atomicllamas has submitted, he technically wins, is top player of the month, and now gets hosting rights. He will be the one to decide the next Pokemon on RU NEXT BEST THING.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Gallade (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Gallade is a pretty good Choice Scarf user in a tier without many of them, and Trick lets it cripple defensive answers such as Sableye. The standard SD is valuable on Gallade but you don't miss out on too much with its 3 coverage attacks and great natural power.

Gallade (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

Gallade has amazing coverage moves and I think Choice items take away a huge part of how flexible Gallade is. Expert Belt Poison Jab can be used to OHKO Rotom-C if it has taken 2 Stealth Rock damages (I think idrk), which it will because it's a pivot and gets switched in and out. It can also threaten Silvally-Fairy which it can otherwise not touch. Expert Belt Earthquake guarantees an OHKO on Ninetales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)