Project Next Best Thing: USUM UU (Week 45: Jellicent - Submissions)

Scarf Buzzwole

Buzzwole @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Leech Life/Lunge
- Earthquake

With an Adamant nature and 248 Spe EVs this Buzzwole reaches 256 points in Spe BEFORE the Choice Scarf (389 points), an item which patches up it low Spe. I think that Choice Scarf is a good item for this pokemon because it Spe leaves it prone to be revenge killed and forced out too much easily. Now, you can clean pretty easily just by stacking +1 Atk boosts.
You have 4 attacking moves to hit as hard as possible: Ice Punch+ Eartquake for coverage plus 2 STABs. Superpower is preferred over Hammer Arm because it has more immediate power; Leech Life is here to regain some health in the process, but Lunge is also good because the Atk drop can provide help to our subsequent switch.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Buzzwole @ Leftovers / Fightinium Z
EVs: 196 HP / 168 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

SubPunch Buzzwole is a really sick set that I've been using lately to great effect. The EVs on this set are so that your subs can't be broken by Blissey and you get a sub up before fast Scizor clicks U-turn. This set can be incredibly frustrating to switch into, with boltbeam punches smacking most of the meta for neutral damage at worst and Focus Punch threatening to nuke half the damn tier. Obviously this set is by no means unstoppable, but it's very effective if used correctly. My one qualm with this set is the over reliance on having a sub up to fire off your STAB attack. For this reason, you can elect to use Fightinium Z over Leftovers, but the lack of passive recovery can suck ass at times.

hp flying physdef buzzwole

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Lunge
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Toxic
- Roost

not a new set but it's nice for fat teams to deal with stuff like buzzwole and breloom without natgift flying
physdef and lunge make it even harder for physical attackers to do anything to it
best used on stall or like really fat balance with no other way to beat opposing buzzwole

Last edited:
"Breloom's useless vs stall"

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 112 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Spore

An old set from the BW era I've attempted to adapt when I noticed that it has a stupidly good matchup against most common stalls with very basic support. If you couldn't tell this loom easily decimates the staple Quagsire / Alomomola / Blissey core you find on nearly every stall team these days. Breloom's hard checks and counters with the exception of Amoonguss all tend to have the same problem that they do in past gens where Breloom is dominant (especially that DPP OU untier) - they're all weak to super common stuff, the biggest two being Stealth Rock and Pursuit. Common answers to this on fat stuff include Mega Altaria, Moltres, and Togekiss, while Latias and Crobat are more general checks that aren't usually found on stalls. All of them are potential Spore targets that are easy to pressure down with Pursuit and/or the right Stealth Rocker. I'd recommend using Mega Aerodactyl or Toxic Gliscors with Stealth Rock since they're usually hard to efficiently remove hazards against, and with Muk in the back this set can wreak a lot of havoc against defensive teams. EVs are obviously modified a bit, as I bumped up the speed to deal with any offensive Azumarill it comes across (except Jolly :bloblul:) and I don't particularly think as much SpD is necessary as the old BW set, so I went with 56 Atk and an Adamant nature to KO the same Azus after a round of rocks, even if its unboosted (I don't know if this is more indacative of Azumarill being really bulky or Breloom being not as strong as you'd think). Bulk Up also makes it kinda tough to mindlessly revenge kill with offensive teams, as mons like unboosted Scizor and Infernape also don't want to switch in directly or take it on with a couple boosts under its belt, as well as boosted Drain Punches combined with the Gliscor passive recovery a la Poison Heal. It also actually counters Toxic Gliscor instead of being endlessly Roost + Toxic stalled. Crazy right?

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Apologies, computer breaking / Superbowl delayed this. Also, in an attempt to not give TSR a free win add some variety to Breloom voting, I'll be posting a neat little set Breloom has I think could be worth some mention. Also Buzzwole may be dead, but imagine it's alive for this voting!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb / Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Focus Punch
- Facade / Seed Bomb

This set, similar to TSR's, is great at dismantling slower teams, using free turns to grab subs and get up SDs, and also functioning as a status absorber. Fightinium Z guaranteed some cool kills like a +2 All Out Pummeling vs Amoonguss with rocks. Facade hits Flying types on the switch, while Seed Bomb hits Bulky Waters super effectively. This set does have it's drawbacks though, being weaker vs offense without Spore or Mach Punch.

Anyway, without further ado, here are our nominees:

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Roost
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Buzzwole @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Leech Life/Lunge
- Earthquake

Buzzwole @ Leftovers / Fightinium Z
EVs: 196 HP / 168 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Lunge
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Toxic
- Roost

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 112 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Spore

Breloom @ Toxic Orb / Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Focus Punch
- Facade / Seed Bomb

You may vote for one Breloom set and One Buzzwole set, voting will end on 02/8/17, or whenever I'm not busy / get my computer fixed.

Again because I'm crunched for time, I'll be voting now, for TSR's Breloom as it's another great solution for stall, probably having a better matchup with it than mine does thanks to Spore, and i like cute things' physically defensive Buzzwole for being an absolute bitch to take down, as well as luring other Buzzwole and crippling the few physical attackers that beat it with Lunge.

Last edited:

Sage

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For Week 4, we'll be taking a look at the oft forgotten super computer, Metagross! With a vast movepool and tons of different options for items and EV spreads, it should be a good time for everyone involved! Submissions are due EST Morning 2/15/18, extended for Valentine's Day.

metagross.gif

The following sets are blacklisted:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock

Metagross @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit / Explosion / Trick

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

AV Metagross is a reliable switch in to Latias by being able to eat a hit and Pursuit trap. It can live a Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, and a Shadow Ball from Chandelure and Gengar while being to OHKO them in return. It has the necessary bulk to be AV and a nice move pool including priority. With max HP and great defensive bulk Metagross is also a check to Azumarill and Gliscor.

Last edited:

Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Rock Polish

0- SpA Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Swampert: 216-256 (53.8 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

pup your opponent's mons on the switch and hit them harder with mm, grass knot can catch opposing swampert and seismitoad on the switch (and since they don't run spe you can outspeed and hit another gk) replace grass knot with eq or hammer arm if it suits your needs, but non knock off scizor isn't going to do much anyways

Metagross.gif

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

This set can be used as a late game sweeper, the ev spreads let him survive a Dark Pulse Hydreigon as well as flare blitz scarf Nape and outspeed them after agility, but the shiny moment is against Gliscor once he can take an eq and hit back with ice punch.

Attachments

Choice Scarf Metagross

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Choice Scarf makes Metagross a good cleaner thanks to its coverage moves and the ability to block stats drop (except not those self inflicted); I think that Ice coverage hits a lot of checks effectively.
Even with a simple Adamant nature Metagross still hits really hard (with the aid of 252 EVs) with the added bonus of a good Spe without wasting a turn to click Agility.
Pursuit trappers are a problem, so you have to get rid of them before locking you into a move that isn't Earthquake.

Last edited:

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus

Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Explosion / Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Really neat lure for offensive teams. MixGross lures Grounds, Waters, and Scizor for something like SD Terrak or Stakataka late-game. Still forces a lot of switches by virtue of its typing to let you get up Rocks in the face of Lati, Blissey, Amoonguss, etc as they go into their Hippowdon / Suicune / Scizor and get smashed. I prefer Boom > Mash personally for the nuke but then you can't touch special walls so you gotta take your pick between all-out lure or having at least some general purpose offensive ability.

Sage

That's that for Week 4! The following sets are up for voting:

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Rock Polish

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Metagross @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Explosion / Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock

Voting is due on 2/17/18 EST Afternoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)