Project Next Best Thing Week 2 [Voting]

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Memoric, MajorBowman, and Level 51
Next Best Thing!
Hey everyone, welcome the Doubles OU Next Best Thing Thread. This will be a weekly competition run by myself, with the goal being to innovate cool new sets that deviate from the standard in some meaningful way to breathe new niches into otherwise standard pokemon!

How it Works/Rules:
Each week I will nominate a viable pokemon in the DOU metagame and post a standard set, and challenge you all to find a new way to use it decently! Rounds will last a total of one week each, with five days allocated to posting sets, and the next 2 days set aside for voting! Winners will have there name and set posted in an archive for all to see how creative they are and such!

Submissions:
When you submit a set for this competition, please include an animated sprite, plus a showdown importable of the set in a hide tag marked with the name of the pokemon.
In addition to this I ask that you make another hidetag marked description with just that, a description of what the set does and just why its worth using over the standard set or different pokemon that may give it competition for a teamslot in its selected role. I ask of this from you all so as to ease archiving all winners and just to make the thread look more presentable! Thanks in advance!

Week 1(miltankmilk):

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Ally switch alone is a pretty cool move in Doubles and it just so happens that Z-ally switch gives you +2 speed. This fixes Hoopa's troubles of having a middling speed tier outspeeding scarfers and if you run hasty you can outspeed modest Kingdra in rain which is pretty cool. Ally switch is really neat on hoopa as you can bait u-turns or other single target physical attacks into a partner that can take out the threat to it, or you could protect a teammate from a threatening attack and let hoopa take it on. Not the most splashable set but its a lot of fun and it can clean teams late game as well as support a teammate.

Last edited:

Paraplegic

relax...
Okay guys, welcome to Next Best Thing! For the first week of the competition, I'm going to go with a powerful mon with a wide movepool to make it a bit easier on you guys! This weeks mon is Hoopa-Unbound!

hoopa-unbound.gif

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Protect

Hoopa-U already has a really strong presence in the meta, and has a really wide movepool with tons of room for innovation! Just remember to justify why you would use your innovative sets over the standard set or another mon. I look forward to seeing what you can all come up with n_n

Last edited:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Protect
I've been using this Hoopa set for a while now and it's been quite effective. The set's main focus is to hit hard as fuck with perfect coverage and also bait in Hoopa's typical checks such as Tapu Fini, Tyranitar, and others. I decided to forgo Hyperspace Hole because it doesn't help a whole lot in terms of coverage, plus Hyperspace Fury is plenty strong in itself. This set works wonderfully with Tailwind users such as Zapdos and Salamence, since Hoopa's middling speed tier is the biggest thing holding it back. I run Jolly so you can reliably beat opposing Hoopa, but Adamant is an option if you just want raw power.

Can't take credit for creating this but I've used it a bunch on the ladder and its worth a mention here

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Ally switch alone is a pretty cool move in Doubles and it just so happens that Z-ally switch gives you +2 speed. This fixes Hoopa's troubles of having a middling speed tier outspeeding scarfers and if you run hasty you can outspeed modest Kingdra in rain which is pretty cool. Ally switch is really neat on hoopa as you can bait u-turns or other single target physical attacks into a partner that can take out the threat to it, or you could protect a teammate from a threatening attack and let hoopa take it on. Not the most splashable set but its a lot of fun and it can clean teams late game as well as support a teammate.

Paraplegic

relax...
ok I had stuff to do the last couple days so this is updated late sorry guys! The two candidates are:
nadando
miltankmilk

Voting will end in 2 days.

as an aside Im probs going to shorten rounds down a bit to like 3 days for posting, 2 days for voting, are there any objections to that?

Paraplegic

relax...
The week is over a miltankmilk wins week 1!

Week 2 will be focusing on Mega Gengar!
gengar-mega.gif
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Mega Gengar is this weeks pokemon due to the many options it has. A ton of different teams can use it to trap different things, leading to it having many diverse sets. Lets see what you guys got!

Regarding round times: I'm going to try one more round of 5 day submissions period, but if there arent at least a few submissions I'm going to make submissions last 3 days. You all have until Wednesday 11:59pm est to submit. Good luck all :]

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Disable
- Thunder
- Protect
run with encore toed and probably koko. nice fast way to trap and bop tapus, and alolatales/tapus can't switch into it to mess with setup because, it's gengar. thunder also hits super hard under terrain, basically a 110 STAB off 170 spa. encore/disable memes are there to be annoying. could also be run with like gravity/encore whimsicott i guess, that could tailwind so it can beat kokos and scarf shit.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Protect

Are you tired of having your gengar lose to opposing dark types (and the occasional snorlax)? Then boy have I got the set for you. Never be afraid of those scraftys, hydreigons, or tyrantitars again! Simply click sub as your opponent makes the rookie mistake of bringing in their dark type "gengar check" (hint: it's not a switchin) and then proceed to make them regret their very existence as you focus punch their face off. Focus Punch gar is also the next great swagger fini partner; it just hasn't had its chance to shine yet, trust me.

i don't think this is unheard of, and the principle has been used by many other players but i thought it fits since i dont think this is the classic you see everyday gengar

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Skill Swap
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

so this set is somewhat supportive, in a way, making use mostly of gengar's speed and ability. you can generally will-o-wisp a landorus or hoopa coming in on the switch, or maybe a bulky suicune that you'd like to actually damage more than 40%, then voila, hex becomes a nasty move to be hit with backed up by a massive spatk. since this didnt seem "none standard" enough for me to post here, i decided to run skill swap, which can be pretty interesting to give to a partner such as tapu fini or a set up pokemon that appreciates the current situation, while mega gengar can be swapped into a pokemon to handle the situation better. it also gives "outplay potential" to gain levitate/flash fire out of nowhere sometimes, with the added bonus of twisting weather and resetting terrains in your favor !

Last edited:

Paraplegic

relax...
I am an idiot who forgot to update this, sorry. candidates are:

Derivatives
BlueSkiddo
Silverwhiteblue

Voting ends at 11:59pm est on Friday I guess

Paraplegic

relax...
Yh there didn't seem like a ton of interest for it. If people still want this to continue I can keep going but I wasn't really getting that vibe due to the lack of submissions and (on time) voting. :/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)