Project Next Best Thing [Week 6 - Incineroar & Arcanine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader

Rotom-Wash @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Electric Terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-W offensive set with LO to hit as much as possible. The peculiar thing here is Electric Terrain that allows me to take more damage with TBolt for 5 turns. Split down the LO recoil and last a little longer. HPump doesn't have much mention. His other stab move.
Electric Terrain doesn't affect Rotom because of Levitate, and the boost would be less powerful than Nasty Plot regardless. Sorry :(

Electric Terrain doesn't affect Rotom because of Levitate, and the boost would be less powerful than Nasty Plot regardless. Sorry :(
I ignored that because I wanted to add something different but thanks it's already changed.

Reactions: Eve
CA6B5BA6-D209-4B29-8140-545054FF506A.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Trick

Scarf Rotom-W is a pretty nice pick for offensive teams that need a soft check to Rhyperior, Cobalion, and Darmanitan, and pairs nicely with breakers like Pangoro or Machamp who punishes Gastrodon, Umbreon, Reuniclus and other Rotom-W checks for coming in. This set also excels at crippling Pokemon like Umbreon, Sylveon, Roserade, and other Pokemon with Trick. I've personally enjoyed pairing this with Toxic Spikes and Automotize Necrozma, since Rotom-W cripples stuff like AV Reuniclus and Umbreon with trick and T-Spikes puts stuff in range for Necrozma. Pairing this with Incineroar to form a momentum core and a couple of wallbreakers (Specs Sylveon, CB Haxorus, Pangoro) also works well.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
:rotom-wash:Submissions are closed!:rotom-wash:
Let's get to voting! Thank you all again for your sets (wow there's a lot)! In fact, there's so many that we're choosing to modify voting this week- pick your favourite 3 submissions, in order from first favourite to third. First gets 3 votes, second gets 2 votes, third gets 1.
Voting closes on Wednesday!

Your options:
Sub + Nasty Plot by Datsplashtho
Itemless Trick by Estarossa
Sub + Pain Split by DraconicLepus
Choice Specs by Sanctus Janus
NP Chesto Resto by A Cake Wearing A Hat
Hex by Katy
LO Pain Split by Taerim
Choice Scarf by Panther-T

Sub + Nasty Plot
Itemless Trick
Sub + Pain Split

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hello everyone! You all had fantastic subs this week; we were absolutely enthralled to see what you guys came up with. We saw some callbacks, some interesting techs; suffice to say, we're at least 25% sure it's easy to say there are no substitutes for that!

...In case it wasn't obvious, our week's winner is Sub + NP Rotom! Congrats to Datsplashtho for winning!

This being said, we've talked a lot about some specially oriented Pokemon, but, let's up the ante with a physically oriented pokemon, Cobalion!

:ss/cobalion:

Cobalion, upon dropping, has established itself as one of the tier's most splashable threats thanks to its great typing, options, and flexible stats. Whether you need it to provide rocks, pivoting, or speed control, it has the ability to really help put your team together. Though, given this flexibility, we wanna see what you guys can bring to the table with this Sword of Justice! Submissions close Monday at 12am GMT.

You can find the official Cobalion analysis here!

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock / Volt Switch / Swords Dance

Taunt allows Cobalion to both stop Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Bronzong from setting hazards while also preventing Defog Weezing and Rotom-W. It also helps a lot against screens since you can taunt stuff like Barbaracle and Necrozma to prevent them from setting up. The last move is team-dependent and everything else is standard and thus not worth explaining.

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Safeguard

Cobalion has a great double offensive and defensive type. It has a good presence on the offensive side. Maybe it doesn't boast a wide variety of sets but it's interesting. I have chosen the SD version with Safeguard since in a way it allows me to hit hard with its two stabs and protect myself during 5 turns of WoW or Twave status. For example GWeezing /Necro bulky waters (Jelli) On the object of support I thought of Leftovers which is the only unfeasible recovery method that has not counting Rest. I finally added Shuca to cover his ground vs Flygon or Rhyperior weakness for a better response.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving subsalac

lonzco ball (Cobalion) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Substitute

Cobalion's Base 108 Speed lets it outspeed every relevant scarfer in UU, making it scary to deal with at +1. Rock Polish is on the standard set, and that can be better in some situations because it lets you set up double dances more easily while also giving you the option to run a resist berry or Lum Berry to make it easier to setup. However, Cobalion's speed means you really only need +1. Salac Berry thus does not cost you much in terms of speed, and it is much easier than Rock Polish to activate because it does not require an extra turn of setup. Cobalion's bulk and typing also mean that it is bulky enough to survive many super effective attacks and activate Salac Berry. If Cobalion has taken about 10-20% chip [which it often does] and is in versus a Noivern, for example, Cobalion can SD as Noivern attacks, live its attack (hurricane does 60-70, flamethower does 66-77), activate Salac Berry, OHKO it, and then sweep thru offensive teams.

As an added bonus, it quad resists First Impression, making it an especially threatening Speed-boosted sweeper. Look at this absolutely comical calc of a hypothetical attempt to revenge it:
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Haxorus First Impression vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 32-38 (9.9 - 11.7%) -- possible 9HKO

A 12% Cobalion is still too healthy for Haxorus to revenge, which is hilarious.

You still get walled by Cobalion's usual counters, most notably Doublade and Golisopod. However, Substitute allows you to get up more SDs versus some defensive checks, like Rotom-Wash, that stop Cobalion by switching in, living an attack, and burning it.

I honestly didn't expect this set to be so good versus offense, but if it doesn't get matched up versus Doublade it can put in a crazy amount of work. Thought this would just be fun but will seriously consider using this on real teams!!

Katy

Banned deucer.
weakness policy rock polish

:ss/Cobalion:
Cobalion @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

- Rock Polish

weakness policy cobalion is able to set-up behind dual-screens like veil with rock polish and is able to outspeed most of the scarfers if not all in this tier
and has the benefits to have a +2 attack raise too. futhermore weakness policy is pretty unexpected and can catch the opponent off guard and frees up the third
moveslot on coablion which rock polish + swords dance could not do, so you have the 3 most important moves in the arsenal: iron head the steel-type-stab,
close combat the fighting-type-stab and also stone edge the coverage-option.​

Last edited:

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Suicide lead Cobalion
:bw/cobalion:
Cobalion @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Steel Beam

- Thunder Wave

a lot of HOs use duraludon as their rocker with sash t-wave and steel beam to not lose momentum. However, Duraludon can't prevent other rockers to set hazards, and the HO player is forced to take risks with his magic bounce user to prevent hazards for the sashed mons. Thanks to its acces to Steel Beam, Thunder Wave AND taunt, cobalion could be a more optimal choice for HO.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Reserving CM

I'm taking this now since you didn't post...sorry

Cobalion @ Black Belt
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

I wouldn't say it's great but it does lure physically defensive Arcanine? It misses too much to be actually good but it's also kind of funny and doesn't care about Intimidate which is cool. Volt switch might work, especially because of Golisipod, but Twave is really good in general to annoy your "counters"

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
As I forgot to uptade, but I still wanna participate, I bring another set, I took inspiration on Shell Smash Eject Buttom Torkoal + Copycat for this
Eject Pack Lead
:ss/cobalion:
Cobalion @ Eject Pack
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Close Combat
Cobalion has acces to cool suport moves on Stealth Rock, Taunt and T-Wave, perfect for a lead on Hyper Offense builds, CC is a strong stab, before lower Cobalion's defense it Switch outs to something else, allowing to bring Xatu/Espeon for screens or any breaker that could take advantage of the situation. Also the base speed of cobalion makes sure to almost always move first.
Kind of improvised set but seems fun and could work well as a suicide lead.

There was a variation of Eject Pack Cobalion I wanted to throw out there, which was more suitable for Volt-Turn offense bent on keeping momentum initially, and then later for sweeping or wall-breaking.

638-Cobalion.png
I suggest swords dance, Dual STAB, and Stealth Rock if you need it or Stone Edge to take on Noivern better. This could lead to mind games once checks and counters have been removed. Pair with other pivots for maximum effect :P

Cobalion @ Eject Pack
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock/Stone Edge​

Eve

taking a break
Community Leader
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)