Project Next Best Thing [Week 6 - Incineroar & Arcanine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
partially stolen from Sickist's op, banner will exist eventually
Cohosted with Ausma

UU Next Best Thing is back again in Sword and Shield! This project tasks the most creative of participants with finding underexplored sets for familiar Pokemon, in order to let them function in a new and useful manner. This project is meant to encourage exploration of a Pokemon in the UU Metagame. With this in mind, not every set will become a metagame staple, and that's ok! We're here to discover what each Pokemon can do, so no matter the purpose of the set you make, your contribution is valuable. We're doing this both for research and for fun, so don't be afraid to give it a shot!

So, how's this going to work?
Each week, a Pokemon with the potential to have many options for sets will be selected. Participants must try to create a new set for it that is not already considered one of its main sets (either already in the Smogon Strategy Pokedex or in the process of being added). Participants will have from Wednesday until the end of Sunday to create their set. On Monday and Tuesday, a vote will be held in order to choose which set is the most creative and viable in the current Gen 8 UU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is selected, the set will be listed in the Hall Of Fame below this post and the process will start over with another Pokemon.

VERY IMPORTANT RULES
  • Feel free to be as creative as you want, just make sure that you can prove that your set stands apart from the standard sets, especially if yours does not appear much different from the standard ones. It is also important that you understand the difference between a creative set and a gimmicky set- this project is meant to use creativity to maximize a Pokemon's potential, not produce gimmicks. We may disallow sets if we deem them too gimmicky, situational, or unoriginal.
  • Avoid using single move/item changes, as they do not explore untapped potential of a Pokemon, but rather augment what we already understand of a Pokemon.
  • Feel free to post replays of your set in action! This is a great way to show how your set can be game changing in certain situations.
  • We appreciate suggestions for Pokemon to cover in the future, but please directly send those to myself or Ausma rather than posting them in this thread!
  • Do not change your set after voting phase has started- doing so will result in disqualification.
  • You may not vote for your own set or persuade people to vote for you- these will also result in disqualification.
  • You may reserve a set, but if you haven't properly filled it in within 2 days of your reservation it may be taken by someone else.
  • You are required to have fun!

Current Pokemon: :ss/incineroar::ss/arcanine:

Last edited:

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Last edited:

Eve

Bzzt!
Community Leader
Week 1
:ss/celebi:

What better way to start off the project than with our resident pixie? Despite what the analysis may show, Celebi's wide movepool and rounded stats offer many more options than just Nasty Plot. Let's see what can you come up with!
The submission period for Week 1 closes on Monday 24th of April at 12am GMT.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
:ss/celebi:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch / U-Turn

Someone got mad at me for 1v1ing their Celebi with a CM Primarina on ladder once and they changed their set to this. They Leaf Bladed my Prim next game and I was terrified. I also then learned that Celebi learns Leaf Blade, s/o TRs.

This thing's a THREAT dude like oml nobody takes this on and don't say Bronzong because he sucks and nobody likes him. It owns cocky Milotics and Roserades that think they can tank a hit from you otherwise (Milo can tank an unboosted leaf blade but you're critting anyway). It's pretty strong at +2 and can break through a bunch of stuff you wouldn't expect like Necrozma n shit. Plus there's nothing funnier than SDing with Celebi.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Celebi @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Trick
Fuck it time to cripple incin, umby and zong and win

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Eve

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
future sight gang

Celebi @ whatever (leftovers / miracle seed / expert belt / wise glasses / twisted spoon)
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Future Sight
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Ok this is the future of uu ss. This + a cool fighting and its over u hear me ? It allows u to pressure Celebi's counters like Bronzong Incineroar or drapion since u can future sight and uturn on them to bring a breaker to pressure your oppo. This is def a threat. S/o to Estarossa btw since he was the one who told me about this set in SM.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 176 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Rocks + Healing Wish Celebi is a cool option for offensive teams. Rocks celebi is a bit better than it has been in the past currently too due to Rotom-Wash usage, but healing wish is one of the most powerful moves in this game and pokemon like escavalier, machamp, necrozma benefit so massively from it. Its role compression for these offensive teams as a check to Rotom-Wash and pivot on top of these other roles is also super useful.

Last edited:

Eve

Bzzt!
Community Leader
Sorry for the delay! I ended up being busier than expected which slowed things down. Congrats to Slowpoke92i for winning!

Now, let's take a look at our new focus.
:ss/rotom-wash:
Rotom may not be as diverse in options as Celebi, but it still has plenty of tricks up its... tube? Let's see what you can come up with! Submissions close Monday at 12am GMT again.

Edit: here's the analysis.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
reserving Sub NP
1588537736881.png
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

regular NP is cool and all, but Substitute adds in the factor of being unable to be affected by status and non-Noivern attacks, which is huge for switching into bulky waters that aren't gastrodon, bronzong, gigalith, and getting the opportunity to use them as setup fodder. Rotom-W's speed is pretty damn good too, letting it outspeed a wide array of threats to fire off attacks, and it's typing, bulk and ability let it take advantage of stray Scarf Earthquakes from Flygon. Not to mention preventing Ditto from getting in, copying your boosts and screwing you over.

Last edited:
  • Love

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

Rotom-Wash
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog / Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Fun alternative for Rotom-Wash when you want the bulky pivot, but don't need Willo on it. With Trick, can punish switch ins like Sylveon / Celebi / Noivern by snatching items, punish plays like hard'ing into Flygon on a Volt for momentum, and juggle around Roserade's Black Sludge to the opposing teams disadvantage.

Last edited:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump

It's annoying? Bothers many of wash rotom answers. Sub split shenenenegagins and discharge haha paralysis!!1!

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Discharge / Thunderbolt

this set functions as an offensive pivot. Modest is pretty free in the tier at the moment, being punished by very few mons, the big one is timid toxtricity, so if you have a tox weak team run timid. This set however gets to do things like kill a chipped noivern with discharge/tbolt (when i say chipped, i mean 252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Wash Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 249-294 (80 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) This mon acts in a similar manner to toxtricity in that it has very little switch ins (offensive tsreena takes 50% from pump) but is extremely prediction heavy. in addition this mon can easily trick its specs to another mon giving your team trouble such as a umbreon or weezing.

Last edited:
  • Love

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rest
- Discharge / Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Ever wanted to use Nasty Plot Rotom-W but gotten disappointed about how much Pain Split sucks at being a recovery move? Ever wanted to actually be able to set up Nasty Plot on the tier's many bulky waters without being immensely crippled by Toxic? Well, this is the set for you! Straight from gen 4, Chesto Resto is Wash's best recovery option, healing it of status and bringing it back to full health once for free! Spread is bulky to take the most advantage of Rest, and outspeeds Chandelure and Gardevoir because it sucks to be revenge killed by them after setting up a lot.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
hex rotom

:ss/Rotom-Wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

status in general is annoying and a lot of pkmn wont appreciate getting statused in general as it either negates the longevity or makes them useless as late-game-sweepers in general. hex rotom-wash takes advantage of this fact and can either use will-o-wisp or toxic to status the opposing pkmn in the team and then it can use HEX to dish out some big damage to every pkmn, which got caught by the status. HEX can also take advantage of roserades tosic-spikes when it is a teammte for rotom-wash.​

Last edited:

Rotom-Wash @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-W's quite offensive set thought only to attack with bad intention. NP + LO support to achieve greater damage. Split as the recovery method and finally Hpump as the second move stab and hit.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
reserving trick + iron ball [LOL no idea if this will work so i might change it]
I didn't realize Iron Ball removed the ground immunity given by Levitate (thought it just lowered speed), so this item definitely hurts rotom-wash, wont submit this :pirate:

Last edited:
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)