Multi-gen NFEPL V - Manager Signups and Format Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Approved by OM Forum Moderators
Adapted from the
NFEPL IV - Manager Signups

NFEPL V Logo.png

amazing art by in the hills

Manager Sign-ups and Format Discussion

Keep in mind that you can post to discuss the format of the tournament, even if you are not signing up to manage. Post here if you want to manage during NFEPL V or if you would like to give input on the format of the tournament.

It's time to bring back NFE's best and most exciting tournament, NFEPL. There have been a lot of format and slot changes from last year; you can read the Announcements and Administrative Decisions thread to find full details of the new format. I will be co-hosting with Aurodian and Marjane so any questions you have about the tournament can also be directed towards them.

When signing up, you can either opt to take charge of a team name from the previous year or sign up with a new team name entirely. However, if you do want to take over a name from the previous year, make sure you have permission to do so from last year's manager. Managers will be able to purchase themselves for 17.5k credits out of 100k each prior to the draft if they wish to do so. This is subject to debate as well, but we believe this fairly prices everyone who we expect to manage this iteration. There will be no assistant managers prior to the draft; you may appoint a player you have drafted during the auction as an assistant manager to help with bidding and future team decisions. Managers are also expected to be active in their teamchat and respond quickly with substitutes or lineups. Quick note, but returning managers are not guaranteed a managerial slot on their old team.

Names from the previous NFEPL:
The Ferrocious Ferroseeds
Morgrem Freemans
The Monferno Mafia
Deez Nuzleafs
Wacky Thwackeys
Cursed Corsolas
The Burning Heart Brionne
The Ravenous Roselias

Here is the sign-up format:
Manager:
Team Name:
If taking over an existing team name, are you a returning Manager for that team? If not, do you have permission from the previous manager to take over the team name?:

Managers will be chosen based on experience in NFE tournaments, especially previous NFEPLs, their level of involvement in the community and knowledge of the playerbase, their general competence, and prowess in managing in other high level tournaments in other tiers. If you do sign up, it would be worth explaining why you would be a good pick with relation to the above criteria.

This year we're aiming for 6 teams with 8 slots. The 8 slots this year are:

SS NFE / SS NFE / SS NFE / SM NFE / ORAS NFE / BW NFE / DPP NFE / TBD [SS NFE or SM NFE or Bo3 (SS NFE, SM NFE, & ORAS NFE)]

The last slot is still up for debate.

Manager signups will close July 18th 11:59 PM EDT, and player sign-ups should go up shortly after on the 19th July.

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
as for the last slot, i think SM NFE is out of question. Its either BO3 or SS, ill give my vote for BO3 since its 3SS already, but definitely not against fourth. Both are fine options, just cut the SM out and let community vote with a poll or something

Last edited:
Manager: King Leo V
Team Name: Cursed Corsolas
If taking over an existing team name, are you a returning Manager for that team? If not, do you have permission from the previous manager to take over the team name?: Returning Defending Manager.

Holding my stand strongly against bo3, the only reason there is no fourth ss is cause of having to build more ss teams. And you cannot have bo3 were ss isn’t involved. SM was the most competitive tier last year and I don’t think anyone will question that. In case the decision goes against SM cause it is an older tier and we are not willing to give an old tier two slots, then 4th SS should be the choice.

EDIT: After some discussion and some thought I am now convinced that having multiple SM might not the current-gen develop and instead just be hanging on to that all desirable SM meta. I now am ok with either of SS/BO3 for the final slot.

Last edited:

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Manager: beauts
Team Name: Doja Torracats

LET'S GO CATS MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comments on format: I really don't wanna build 4 SS NFE but also Bo3 gives us not only that 2nd SM slot but also a second ORAS slot which is kinda cool. If people are capable of building 4 SS NFE teams a week then go for it, I think it's kinda okay but I'm also completely fine with just going 3 SS / 2 SM / 1 of everything else. Also uhhh stan DPP NFE

Last edited:

IoSonoNeon

The Fallen King
is a Tutoris an Artistis a Tiering Contributor
Manager: IoSonoNeon
Team Name: Aperol Spritzee

I'm crediting AmirAlexander for the amazing logo anyway i think that i could be a nice pick because i've managed in some big discord pls such as DPL IV and DPL V, co-managed in the third, fourth and fifth editions of the roa olympics and have helped some people with their auctions (i'm currently managing in FPL and CPL) i've also grown fond of this meta since i've completed my first suspect in 2019 and i've always tried to keep up with the meta progressions even by signing up in the NFE Open and by following the fanbase as much as i could btw i agree with tlenit's opinion regarding the TBD slot.

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Manager: xavgb/stresh
Team Name: Holy Hattremonies (S/O TCoT oml)

Ngl I think Bo3 could be super cool but I have no idea if it's best for the tour. I like the fact that Bo3 gives us a hype slot for top NFE players which also frees up space for more new faces in SS and at least compensates a bit for the SM pool if we do end up getting a surplus of SM main signups. SM had a very good pool last year so it honestly probably deserves to be considered for 2 slots again this year but a lot of the mains in that tier seemed to be practically returning from the grave which was helped by lockdowns at the time, and most of the tour players who played in SM were also down to play other gens anyway. My overall thoughts are somewhat unfinished but right now I'd say Bo3/SM > SS on the basis that p much all of the positives of 4 SS can be accomplished by adding a Bo3 slot anyway.

Manager: Quagg
Team Name: Deez Nuzleafs
If taking over an existing team name, are you a returning Manager for that team? If not, do you have permission from the previous manager to take over the team name?: Returning!

Completely agree with Stresh on the post above. For me its Bo3/SM > SS. I really like the idea of Bo3 because of that extra hype game every week. We also get best of both worlds with an extra SS and SM game! Im also aware this means we have to build an extra ORAS team every week, but this is a good opportunity to shape a completely new meta. If Bo3 doesn't end up being an alternative I really hope we do like last year and do 2 SM. It was very competitive last year with 8 teams so I would imagine with 2 less teams this year it would be even more fun and challenging C:

EDIT: I have realised focusing on current gen is better for getting a bigger player base and a better meta. Therefore I change my opinion to Bo3/SS > SM

Last edited:
Please do SS or SM over bo3, bo3 just feels like it encourages building more but lower quality teams which seems counterproductive. Also requiring a player to know 3 metas reasonably well, one of which is essentially a new meta doesn't sound like a reasonable idea in my opinion.

Update:
So summerize subsequent discussion in the discord, the other people who didn't like bo3 complained specifically about it being draining for who's in that slot, a new meta potentially swaying two slots, and that despite the extra effort of that slot, the payoff for the effort of prepping for 3 games only amounts to the same as any other slot, making teams tight on time likely to just sack that slot to focus on the less time consuming slots. Additionally, it seems to garner a bunch of questions about what it even means, I've seen multiple people asking about it.

The points that people made for bo3 is that certain people (a subset of the handful which can reasonably play in the slot) are hype to play it and that it gives the ORAS slot player someone to prep with.

Last edited:

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Manager signups are now closed. The hosts have chosen the managers/teams that will be competing for this year's tournament.

:spritzee: Aperol Spritzee: IoSonoNeon
:corsola-galar: Cursed Corsolas: King Leo V
:nuzleaf: Deez Nuzleafs: Quagg
:hattrem: Holy Hattremonies: xavgb
:morgrem: Morgrem Freemans: Rav3
:thwackey: The Wacky Thwackeys: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

The last slot will be BO3 consisting of SS NFE, SM NFE, and ORAS NFE

Thanks to everyone that signed up, and good luck to the chosen managers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)