NFEs in UU

Bologo said:
For instance, doesn't something like Gligar play pretty much exactly the same as Gliscor?
Actually, while Gliscor is used in a defensive role most of the time, in ADV nearly all it's sets are offensive in nature. If it was allowed in DP UU play, it would most likely not find much success as a wall because many UU Fighting-types are capable of 2HKOing it with Stone Edge, despite the fact that it has a stat spread very similar to that of Gliscor (Gligar's base stats are equal to Gliscor's, minus 20 attack/defense and 10 in all other stats). This, I think, is a good example of why the "UU will become OU-lite" argument is silly; even if the Pokemon do have very similar stat spreads, the difference in environment can limit their roles entirely. And the environment WILL be different, because there's already an entire metagame's worth of Pokemon in UU that are not NFE and that do not share similarity with any Pokemon in OU; we'd just be adding onto it.

In other words, I support X-Act's proposition.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Bologo said:
What's the consensus on Wynaut? I remember that it was placed in Uber in ADV, but is it really all that powerful this generation to not be included in UU?
Ancien Regime said:
Uhhh

I'd rather not go there at all, considering how bad Wobb in OU got.
But Wynaut is a seperate Pokemon and should be treated as such. Don't just say 'dont go there', Wynaut is not Wobbuffet. I hate this attitude towards NFEs, they should be treated as seperate Pokemon instead of being completely associated with their evolved counterparts.

Although in the case of Wynaut I agree, it is most likely too powerful for UU and will probably end up in BL if it was ever allowed out of ubers. But because it has not been tested yet, who is to say?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not to be rude or anything, but can we actually decide something here?

We are apparently so concerned with "turning UU into OU lite" that we are ignoring the fact that we just let Venusaur and Miltank into UU, and we continue to allow things like Steelix and Clefable in there. I guess if we were trying to keep UU from looking like OU, it worked...because UU is pretty much broken at the moment while OU is looking better and better with each suspect test. I know I'm not the only person that thinks this.

Something needs to be done to shake things up and make the tier playable again. If I can find a UU pokemon to handle Venusaur, I'm pretty damn sure I can come up with a Bronzor counter.

Now that we've pretty much decided that Rotom is different than its appliance forms, and that Rotom should still be allowed in UU, why are we holding a completely hypocritical double standard and not allowing the weaker NFE counterparts of OU pokemon into UU?

If we decide to allow BLs into UU to "sort things out", there is no logical reason to not also allow all NFEs into UU with them. If NFEs would make UU into OU lite....what do you think adding BLs (pokemon who are declared to be strong enough for OU) will do?

I think the decision has been made that when the UU and BL tiers get combined all NFE Pokemon will be tested alongside it.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what do you think adding BLs (pokemon who are declared to be strong enough for OU) will do?
That's not what BL means at all. BL means that they don't fit in UU. That does not mean that they are strong enough to compete in OU.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure how "doesnt fit in UU" doesn't translate to "strong enough to compete in OU" given the current tier system, but I'm pretty sure my point still stands that adding nearly 50 BLs is comparable and will undoubtedly have more of an impact on UU than adding 223 bad/mediocre-at-best pokemon will.

What other criteria, besides the broken-in-UU auto-weather strategies, would cause us to put a pokemon in BL other than being too powerful for its UU peers? 0_o

And Cynth, if you're right, I was never informed (I must have missed the meeting XD). Does anyone else have a link to a post/thread that has confirmed this?

I'm not sure how "doesnt fit in UU" doesn't translate to "strong enough to compete in OU" given the current tier system, but I'm pretty sure my point still stands that adding nearly 50 BLs is comparable and will undoubtedly have more of an impact on UU than adding 223 bad/mediocre-at-best pokemon will.
It doesn't translate per se...while the BL tier doesn't explicitely say "you're powerful enough to play with the big boys in OU", it does say "you're too strong for UU". Being too strong for one doesn't mean you're strong enough for the other...though it is in no way ruled out. There's BLs who are good enough to see play in standard sometimes, and there's BLs who aren't.

Either way, yeah, I recall this being decided too, but I never see something happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)