NFL Thread - 2019-2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Is there like rules to this first post or can we all just agree we know how this goes.

Ya girl here is fkn STOKED the Pats took a WR. Everyone was saying the needed a tight end and god if they picked a tight end or any offensive position that wasn’t Wideout I would’ve just cried.

Is there like rules to this first post or can we all just agree we know how this goes.

Ya girl here is fkn STOKED the Pats took a WR. Everyone was saying the needed a tight end and god if they picked a tight end or any offensive position that wasn’t Wideout I would’ve just cried.
I like that they addressed the position, but not so much the player.

I hope he proves me wrong but Harry reminds me of Aaron Dobson coming out of college.

Would've preferred AJ Brown, he and Jace Sternburger are my favorites from this draft.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Broncos had a great draft. Basically got everything they wanted. They might end up having the best player in the first round. That TE is pretty beast.

Thought the Pats had a pretty good draft overall. I like the Chase Winovich pick a lot, seems like a real Patriots type player. Would've liked a TE but the draft was pretty weak at TE outside of the two Iowa guys. Skins, Colts and Bills had great drafts imo.

TheValkyries

I was saying this elsewhere ahead of the draft, a lot of pats fans wanted a tight end because we won't have gronk but like.... you're not gonna replace gronk and the modern NFL is kind of moving away from the offenses the Patriots have been running in order to maximize their usage of Gronk.

Basically, looking forward to an attempt at a more modern offense next season.

I dunno. I agree that something has to be done considering the fact that it's so much harder to play defense today. It's hard to back it behind a team that gave up those 3rd & long downs as bad as the Chiefs did though.

I mean, they partially meet it half way through the field goal rule. If you want the possession, force a field goal.

I can already see the absolute pain for a fanbase if they score a TD first, then watch as their defense fucks up and gives up a tying score, then somehow lose later.

Last edited:
But by this same logic, If both teams score a TD, then the other team gets the ball back, kicks a field a goal and wins, the other team should also get the ball back to have a chance.

Otherwise its unfair.

Also I think the patriots are about to set another trend in the league where defenses start valuing coverage/defensive backs over pressure/pass rushers.

I think they proved in this latest playoff run that you can scheme up enough pressure with mediocre DLine talent and have it be effective enough if you have elite cover guys like they do.

I think this will be put to the test this yr because they're hands down the best and deepest secondary in the league this yr and probably only have the 20-25th best Dline in terms of talent.

Also I think the patriots are about to set another trend in the league where defenses start valuing coverage/defensive backs over pressure/pass rushers.

I think they proved in this latest playoff run that you can scheme up enough pressure with mediocre DLine talent and have it be effective enough if you have elite cover guys like they do.

I think this will be put to the test this yr because they're hands down the best and deepest secondary in the league this yr and probably only have the 20-25th best Dline in terms of talent.
can't say i particularly relate, all they really showed me is that if you hide your blitz with linebackers on the line and muck it up, the young QB can't read it all that well (which we already knew) and it didn't help that the other half of the offense had arthritis. The best way to stop an offense isnt to wait for them to throw the ball as all of brady's lazy slot slant routes to white boys have showed. but aye who am i kidding its not like they're gonna lose the afc

Nah, this is already happening in the league in the past couple years. It's shifting. Cornerback has already been shown by the analytics to be the prime/optimal position after quarterback (it's QB, CB, DE, then LT). It's just harder to get a shutdown corner vs getting an impact rusher.

The smarter GMs are doing this in their building and draft philosophy. Cleveland is the perfect example.

The old guys will maintain their ways (that's why NYG is stuck with the robot that is Daniel Jones), but it's gonna become more clear once all the teams figure out how to use the data (they only had one year with the new program/structure they got).

Last edited:
Lol Ravens have a better secondary than the Pats and it isnt even close
Stephy Gilmore is the league's best corner and Jason Mccourty is probably the best no.2 in the entire league. JC Jackson allowed the lowest passer rating in the league when targeted. Jon Jones played a huge role shutting down Tyreek against the Chiefs and played great in the superbowl. Devin Mccourty has been one of the league's best safeties since 2012 and Patrick chung resurrected his career since returning to NE.

They have so many dudes in the secondary that their second round picks cant even get on the field.

The Ravens have a great secondary on paper but the Patriots proved they were the best in the postseason when they dominated just about everyone.

They held Rivers, Mahomes and Goff to a sub 50% completion rate in a game where its incredibly easy to complete 65% of your passes.

TheValkyries

The Patriots Secondary is bomb but they aren't THAT bomb. Chung is not good actually and is being covered up by a good to great free safety and good (McCourty) to Great (Gilmore) corners. But Gilmore for sure is not the best corner in the league. Knee jerk reaction from me is he'd be lucky to be crowding near top 5.

The Patriots Secondary is bomb but they aren't THAT bomb. Chung is not good actually and is being covered up by a good to great free safety and good (McCourty) to Great (Gilmore) corners. But Gilmore for sure is not the best corner in the league. Knee jerk reaction from me is he'd be lucky to be crowding near top 5.
Gilmore played the most shadow coverage in the league, led the lead in pass breakups, allowed the lowest completion % while in man coverage, was the no.1 rated corner by PFF, was 1st team all pro, dominated the postseason and had the game clinching int in the Superbowl.

There's literally nothing more any cornerback could do to be considered the best in terms of advanced metrics AND eye test.

TheValkyries

Best performance from a corner for a single year is not the same as being the best corner in the league. In terms you'd agree with: There have been NFL MVP QBs who had better years than Tom Brady. Does that mean they're the best QB in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)