NFL Weekly Predictions Challenge 2013

Should any of the changes be enabled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
there I finally posted it edition

As the title of the thread suggests, every week during the NFL season you will choose the outcome of every game, and by the end of the season we'll have one person to crown luckiest smartest most handsome as the top predictor for the season. if you're a beautiful man who don't need no rules, signup instructions are listed towards the end of this post. If not, read da rules first.

First and foremost, yahoo sports has a strict cutoff of 5 minutes before each game starts. Do not wait until last minute to make your picks, because they will be locked! However, like last season, in the case of extenuating circumstances, the commissioner (me) is allowed to edit your picks, if you choose to enable the option. This will be on a case by case basis. If you were busy Sunday morning and didn't get back until 1:30, post your picks in this thread and I'll edit your bracket. If you slept until 2:15 after a night of partying, don't expect me to give you the same privilege.

Second, in order to prevent this thread from becoming obsolete and preserving the discussions in the NFL thread, I propose we split up the discussion between the two threads. This thread will be to discuss personal picks and why you picked them. The NFL thread is still to discuss general news, stats, trends, why Tim Tebow sucks, etc.

Things to be posted in this thread:

• thoughtful game analysis
  • reasoning for picking X over Y (even though Y is clearly superior)
  • anything relating to your predictions or this challenge (do not litter the pristine NFL thread)

Things not to be posted in this thread:

• thoughtful general team/player analysis (NFL thread is a better place for it)
  • general discussions unrelated to the challenge/people's picks
  • trolling/flaming/rusing
  • PC++

Signup instructions:
  1. You need either a yahoo/att email address or a gmail account to sign in. Alternatively, you can use facebook (lel)
  2. Go either to http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy and click the Pro Football pick'em, or alternatively just click here
  3. Enter the group information on the right, which is as follows:

Group ID#: 52801
    Password: smogay
  4. Create a bracket name and choose your personal settings, but post your bracket name in this thread. Alternatively you could name the bracket after your username, but that's kind of silly.
  5. Once in the group, click your name in order to make your picks for the week. Alternatively, you could make your picks for several weeks in advance, but I'd recommend against doing that unless you're going out of town or something. I'm assuming that this is mobile browser friendly, but haven't personally tested it yet.

Remember:

If you want to give me the ability to edit your picks in case of an emergency or something, make sure to enable commissioner editing. I'm not going out of my way to make sure you have it off if something does arise where I'm needed to change your picks, and I totally promise to not cheat and stuff.

Set up an email reminder! It's easy to forget otherwise. It takes 5 minutes to set up your picks, and the only excuse anyone could have is that they forgot to do it.

I'm adding a poll about confidence points and picking against the spread, but the idea seemed pretty unpopular last year so I'm assuming we'll just do the usual again. Leave a comment below if you have strong feelings one way or the other, or don't.

I like the idea of confidence points, but that could probably be messy to implement or keep track of? Otherwise vanilla is fine.

And yes Y is so much better than X, flaming red bird > bastard child of Arceus and Dialga.

I like the idea of confidence points, but that could probably be messy to implement or keep track of? Otherwise vanilla is fine.
yahoo does it for us. 16 matchups a week, winning a match you're most confident in awards you 16 points, 2nd most 15 points, if you lose you get nothing. makes upsets all the sweeter because if you predict them you'll gain a massive advantage over the people who were super confident in them, but makes "close" matchups worth very little for predicting the winner if you didn't give them many confidence points.

Damn who came up with that browns option?? Yes i clicked on it, but need to check who else did it.

In as interplanetarypurplythorny hero(dont know if itll fit... Nobody take it or ill slap you).

Why in the fuck did I pick the Jags? Also wow, I didn't learn anything today besides don't pick the Jags. Many of the games could have gone either way.

my upset of the week Carolina seemed like a good pick, they just couldn't get it done against a struggling Seahawks team.

the first week is always hardest because you're never sure how good anyone is

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my upset of the week Carolina seemed like a good pick, they just couldn't get it done against a struggling Seahawks team.

the first week is always hardest because you're never sure how good anyone is

I made that same pick, and thought I had it until the late TD.

Also I thought the Jets were the worst team, but now I'm not so sure the Bucs aren't???

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I made that same pick, and thought I had it until the late TD.

Also I thought the Jets were the worst team, but now I'm not so sure the Bucs aren't???
Jets win was fluky, there are a lot worse teams than the Bucs (did anyone see the Jags yesterday?? Glad Seahawks are playing them week 3)

I actually find it quite surprising that only one other person picked the Eagles to win, but maybe I just don't like the Skins..

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Sitting pretty on top so far? I'm okay with this.

Perhaps I should have given Chip Kelly the benefit of the doubt but the Eagles have been too not-as-good-as-they-should-be the past couple season to trust them. :[ Oh well.

Like WB said, its better to go with your gut. I had originally picked the Eggs to win but then just randomly and for no reason clicked on the skins. I do this all the time btw.

I'm glad i'm one of the few that knew Geno would dominate the Bucs and win the game for the Yets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)