NFL WPC '11 WINNER: Mercy

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Wait what? You do realize a 4-3 involves 4 down linemen and not 3, making it stronger against the run on paper, right? Not that it always plays out that way, just saying a 4-3 has more fat guys in the way of the RB...
If the RB runs a draw play and his offensive line (which has 5 fat guys in the way of the 4) doesn't block... then yes, the 4-3 is stronger against the run.

If they actually block and the front four lose contain, there's only three linebackers to safeguard a quick gash. A quick run to the outside gets 8+ yards easy on a 4-3. Whereas against a 3-4 it only gets 4-5 max. Meanwhile, a miscue on a linebacker gets another easy 8+ yards with a draw play despite the fat guys in the way, if the offense blocks well.

A 4-3 is generally strong on the draw, and immensely vulnerable to an outside run. The 3-4 is strong against both, because there are more backers who can step up and stop a run at two yards, and minimize the effects of an outside run. Thus, the 4-3 is weaker to the run than a 3-4. It puts all the eggs in one basket so to speak. There's also a lot less freedom for the linebackers as well, because one screw up means a big play. Whereas in a 3-4 there's a bunch of checks on a run play just inherently in the formation.

The reason a team goes to the 4-3 is to Pass Rush, which is something that is hard for the 3-4 unless they have either a stud Defensive End (Read Cowboys or Texans), or they run a Hybrid Defense that blitzes often, and sometimes throw a down linebacker at them (Read Green Bay Packers). The Pats didn't have the personnel to run either, so the 4-3 was only a logical decision. Belicheck prefers the Hybrid 3-4 considering he was the Defensive Coordinator that popularized it, if not invented it.

EDIT: This should all be in discussion... POST PICKS IF YOU GOT EM.

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
San Francisco @ Cincinnati
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Pittsburgh @ Indianapolis
Washington @ Dallas

Houston @ New Orleans - Not many teams can get it done in the superdome, and Houston has yet to prove anything to me.
NY Giants @ Philadelphia - Vick's playing, gg
Jacksonville @ Carolina - Newton's due for a bad game, but I still see Carolina holding on at home.
New England @ Buffalo - They'll probably break Brady/Henne's record for most passing yards in a game from week 1
Miami @ Cleveland - Miami = worst home team and best road team in the NFL???
San Francisco @ - Cincinnati West coast team headed east, 1:00 start, fun times
Denver @ Tennessee - Fuck CJ2K, this offense runs through Kenny Britt these days
Detroit @ Minnesota - Should have listened to tad's advice, will not pick the purple people eaters again this year
Baltimore @ St. Louis - I don't know what went wrong with the Ravens last week, but surely it can't happen 2 weeks in a row?
NY Jets @ Oakland - Oakland is decent, but the Jets D is too strongth
Kansas City @ San Diego - lol
Arizona @ Seattle - also lol. Too bad Seattle and KC don't play each other this season, we'll never know which is worse
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay - 0-2 picking Atl games this year
Green Bay @ Chicago - Chicago is definitely the Packers' biggest threat before their bye week; win here and Green Bay will go 7-0 until their bye
Pittsburgh @ Indianapolis - Haven't gotten the chance to watch Collins be terrible this season, can't wait to watch him embarrass himself on National TV!
Washington @ Dallas - Washington's better this year but still slightly overrated. If Romo stays healthy, Dallas should come out on top.

Bit of a tough week this week...

Houston @ New Orleans - I think the Saints have the tools to be able to cool down the Texans

NY Giants @ Philadelphia - Giants might've been able to get by the Rams, but the Eagles are decidedly much better

Jacksonville @ Carolina - Panthers and Newton will finally get a deserved win over a weak Jaguars team, now led by another big rookie name

New England @ Buffalo - Upset of the week, Bills will somehow find a way to torch the Patriots and their shoddy defense

Miami @ Cleveland - Tough one since the Dolphins haven't been too horrible, but the Browns get my vote with more consistency

San Francisco @ Cincinnati - If Niners can't win against the bungles, something is seriously wrong...

Denver @ Tennessee - Lol Denver, even having to use Tebow as a WR since they were losing them left and right

Detroit @ Minnesota - Lions 3-0...that is hard to imagine, but certainly doable against the 0-2 Vikings

Baltimore @ St. Louis - I think last week was definitely a fluke for the Ravens, who should be able to rebound against a bad Rams team

NY Jets @ Oakland - I don't see the Raiders getting by the Jets D

Kansas City @ San Diego - Unless Chargers find a big way to fuck up, Chiefs aren't even half the threat they were to begin with with Charles out for the season

Arizona @ Seattle - Seattle has no answer at QB, while Kolb hasn't looked that bad at all with the Cardinals

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay - Toss up really, but I say the Falcons will take it after gaining a confidence boost beating the Eagles

Green Bay @ Chicago - I don't like picking against the Packers, but I really dislike all the nuthugging they're getting. The Bears should also be sufficiently motivated to avenge last season's loss at home

Pittsburgh @ Indianapolis - No Manning, no wins

Washington @ Dallas - Romo looks like he's out (and Kitna's performance last week when subbed in sucked), and the Redskins aren't half bad so far

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Uhhhhhhhhh. No. All sorts of no. The Raiders are 4th best against the pass per play, and the Patriots have only one more sack than the Raiders, who are ranked 14th.

Meanwhile they have the worst rush defense in the league, but I have a feeling that number is inflated by facing Fred Jackson. Also, the 4-3 is innately weak to the run, unless they ease off on pass rush. If they ease off on pass rush Fitzpacky has time, etc, etc.

Needless to say... the game is one to watch.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/position/defense/order/false

given up 8th most yards
12th most pass yards per game
6th most rush yards per game
6th most points per game.

might want to retract these statements.

also before we end the 4-3 vs 3-4 its p simple. 4-3 is much better vs an inside run game but can also combat an outside run game as long as ur linebackers / dends are fine (and this is the NFL so that answer is yes). 3-4 is better against the pass to run teams which is just about every team in the NFL beside the vikings lol. id say the 3-4 is better in the NFL, but not better against the run theoretically

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I made some silly picks this week.

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota dat 16-0
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England
@ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit
@ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona
@ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas-upset

at least i'm consistent!

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

yay Titans

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia (will be pretty obvious if Vick can play)
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo (would like to go with the Bills but they kinda suck against the Patriots)
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

yeeeehhhhh first place. gon' fuck it up dis week tho.

really thought about picking oakland, greene is doo-doo

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

Houston @ New Orleans
NY Giants @ Philadelphia
Jacksonville @ Carolina
New England @ Buffalo
Miami @ Cleveland
Denver @ Tennessee
Detroit @ Minnesota
Baltimore @ St. Louis
NY Jets @ Oakland
Kansas City @ San Diego
Arizona @ Seattle
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
Green Bay @ Chicago
Washington @ Dallas

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
10-4 at the moment

I looked back through the picks and only 5 of us picked Oakland, so big ups to you other 4 for that as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)