Niche Discovery

I am a fan of Glaceon inheriting Refrigerate from Aurorus.

INHERITANCE Glaceon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Def / 60 SpA / 116 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Discharge
- Earth Power/mirror coat(All preference here)

One of the builds I tried out for a while. It has enough bulk to live most special attacks, plenty of bulk in defense to take a hit on that end as well. Solid coverage all around, extremely powerful stab hyper voice. So on, so forth. Discharge has a 30% chance of paralyzing, causing it to be partially utility as well. Overall, I had a good time using this set.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the long time. I just procrastinate too much basically.

Anyway the next theme will be Ruins

I think you guys know the drill by now, so not gonna tell a long story. Basically just tell about your experiences with these Pokemon in OMs or think of new fun sets to use!

Here's an Inheritance set for Cofagrigus inheriting from Mega Banette:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball

The time Inheritance was OMotM, I had a balance team based around this guy here. As you would expect it served my team with spreading burns all over the place, stopping set-up sweepers from setting up with Taunt and taunting stallmons in general. It really appreciates a wish passer, because Pain Split isn't the most reliable coverage and with it's low HP he's guaranteed to get to full health after a wish.

The EV-spread can be changed from 252/252/0 Defensively to 0/252/252 for to recover more from Pain Split and wishes, but with no investement in HP he cannot really tank that much hits and he does not like to take a special hit, even with investment.

If your looking for a good physical wall, this isn't what your looking for. I recommand using this on Balance teams like I did to burn physical sweepers on HO teams so you're other mons can take those hits pretty easy and for taunting stallmons not carrying Magic Bounce. It can really pair well with QD Suicune, burning the opposition so you have an easier time setting up Quiver Dance.

Imo if your looking for a mon that spreads burns, Cofagrigus is your man, able to abuse Banette's moveset to it's finest.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, the reason I extended this is the same as Battle of the Week. I'm bumping now since I'm sure there's more to say about the Pokemon of this round, it'd be a pity to close it now while there's so much more to discuss!

Sigilyph in TS

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind / Energy Ball​

Sigilyph is fairly good as a wallbreaker and set up sweeper in Tier Shift. While generally outclassed by Reuniclus in murdering defensive Pokemon, Sigilyph is fast enough to take on some offensive Pokemon such as Heracross-Mega and Landorus. It has the ability Magic Guard and ok bulk, making it extremely hard for defensive teams to dispatch. Using Calm Mind is probably better, as the Pokemon I can immediately think of that lose to Energy Ball also lose to Calm Mind sets.

Cofagrigus is pretty bad in monotype

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot

The classic OTR cofagrigus can be forced out by multiple pokemon on almost any stall or balance team, and powercreep since XY makes it even harder to use against the offensive teams it shines against than it used too. This is it's most popular set for a variety of reasons. It's best matchups are ones where ghost already has the advantage, such as against fighting teams so I find it iffy nowadays.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Curse / haze / toxic spikes

Facing competition from dusclops, a bulky cofagrigus had some appeal as a physical wall last gen, but nowadays, gourgeist super can boast similiar bulk, a reliable healing in synthesis, a typing that is superior given the partners avaialbe (ground,water,electric resist, aegislash for brave bird and chandelure/jellicent for fire pokemon) Cofagrius is seldom worth the effort.

However, Curse, makes cofagrigus much more interesting, as it is now both a wall tank and a stallbreaker, as anything with a 3HKO or worse will take a full 50% damage if they stay in to kill cofag, and switching out to remove curse allows a maximum damage painsplit. This is a massive weapon in the vs flying, and vs normal matchups, and still sees limited use against teams ranging from stall water to poison. Because ghost itself is a stally type, having an attack that goes through substitute, magic bounce, and puts most setup sweepers into ko range of priorty (including protect/king's shield) can salvage games. However curse is risky due to it cutting cofag's own HP, and without this gamble move it is very easy to sit him out. Taunt shuts cofag down completely, although it is not particularly common in the monotype meta. However, most fat pokemon with recovery can shut his non-curse sets down just as easily, and most of them dominate their respective usage lists. Toxic spikes also works as a kind of anti-stall meausre, but the teams most likely to run stall will have immunity or overwhelmingly effective defoggers. Against offensive teams it can prevent crucial will o wisps on offensive threats.

Cofagrigus's mummy ability is nice for forcing switches against people who can't touch you when they lose their guts, huge power, tough claws, etc, but the coffin pokemon lacks momentum against the fierce teams that are used nowadays. It's other stall attacks include infestation and magic coat. It's leftovers item is more a catch all, and it can be personalized to anything from kee berry to mental herb, depending on which specific counters you want to be able to catch off guard. Like other pokemon with monstrous physical defense, you can run an awful crocune set if you want too as well, which arguably frees up your megasableye to be used for something else.

It's limited to ghost teams in monotype, and it's clear from a distance that it's movepool and typing aren't up to snuff, but if you do pick him, his raw stats in its high defense, acceptable special, and bad HP (for a more effectice painsplit) can put in significant work against opponets who won't know what to expect from something with such abysmal usage.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Unown sucks, but I'm just going to pretend that it is usable for the sake of this post.

Unown benefits from the boost it gets to Hidden Power in Move Equality and this means that it becomes better than it was before.

Unown @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Hidden Power [Psychic] / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Hidden Power [Dark] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice]

Due to its access to every Hidden Power, it is highly unpredictable, only being beaten by any other special attacker in existence regarding its unpredictability.

It also benefits in Inheritance where it can inherit Technician and a load of neat moves from Mr. Mime:

Unown @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Encore / Thief / Payback

tl;dr: Unown is easily the best pokemon in every OM in existence literally unusable. Don't use it.

Snaquaza

KACAW
I'll make a post too, I guess.

Unown is viable in one metagame! It's actually one of THE strongest threats. That's in Fail Cup!

Fail Cup is a metagame where only Pokemon who can't learn any TMs / HMs (that they don't learn by levelup) may participate. Unown can shine here with Hidden Power Fire since 80% of the metagame is weak to it, including all the bugs, especially Spewpa, and Beldum. It's the only Fire move in the metagame! Additionally, there's only one resist in the metagame in Magikarp. Magikarp is a top threat as well with its STAB Hydro Pump, but luckily Unown isn't weak to it, so if you manage to weaken Magikarp its pretty easy to let Unown sweep. Watch out for Tynamo too, because it can stop your sweep with Thunder Wave and isn't weak to HP Fire, so it turns into a pretty weak move when stopped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)