Quality Control Nihilego QC: 1/2

Yuichii

umu!
is a Live Chat Contributor

[OVERVIEW]

Nihilego is able to function well as an anti-meta breaker thanks to its great Special Attack and unique offensive typing, allowing it to blanket check a range of prominent threats in the metagame. A base 103 Speed lets it outspeed foes such as Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B which when paired with Beast Boost, gives Nihilego the ability to snowball out of control. However, Nihilego is easily forced out by Steel-Types and strong Physical Attackers as it is very frail defensively. Furthermore, it may find itself struggling to pick up KOs due to the presence of many specially bulky Pokemon in the metagame.
  • Great checks to fires and can switch in to most of them relatively well eg. Incin/Zard/Volcarona
  • Unique offensive typing that making it hard to switch in to. This when combined with Beast Boost and a decent speed tier gives Nihilego the potential to snowball out of control.
  • Easily forced out by steels such as mega gross and kartana which are able to resist both of its STABs
  • Very frail defensively and may still struggle to pick up KOs as there are many fat spd mons in the meta

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Power Gem
move 3: Stealth Rock / HP Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Rockium Z / Focus Sash

ability: Beast Boost
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Dual stab bc dual stabs are great and hit like everything except steels
  • Stealth Rock is good for utility, chip is also important for getting KOs on many stuff
  • HP Ice can pick up chipped Lando T / Zyg
  • protect does protect things

Set Details
========

simple max max to hit hard and fast while at the same time granting Special Attack boosts with beast boost
rock Z acts as a one time nuke to help Nihilego gain SpA boosts more quickly, while sash is good as it guarantees that Nihilego is able to get SR up even against its checks

Usage Tips
========
  • functions as offensive rocks setter that can blanket check a range of prominent threats in the metagame thanks to its unique offensive typing
  • throwing up SR early game is good to help get stuff into OHKO range
  • slow u turns help bring Nihilego in safely which is nice
  • hard switching into fires is fine
  • try to throw it in against stuff that cant really do much against it eg. fini that hasnt set up cm mega mence etc
  • run when u see steels

Team Options
========
  • Steel checks are especially important as nihilego will be forced when an opposing steel-type mon hits the field majority of the time. Volcanion and Genesect are both decent options for this
  • More offensive teams appreciate Nihilego's unique coverage, fits on Zard teams really well since Zard teams are able to help Nihi get rid of opposing steels while Nihi helps Zard get rid of stuff such as Koko and Fires which are irritating for Zard
  • Intim users such as Lando and Incineroar help increase Nihi's longevity as Nihi has a very low Phydef
  • Ground checks are also fairly important since stuff like Swampert and Gastrodon are able to take both of Nihilego's STAB moves and OHKO it with their own STABs. Zygarde is also able to threaten and force out Nihilegos not carrying HP Ice. Nihilego appreciats Grass-Types such as Kartana and Tapu Bulu as they can switch in into these STAB move and deal huge damage back with their own STABs. However Kartana needs to watch out for Ground Z Gastrodon variants
  • Dragon types such as Kommo-O and KyuB also benefit from Nihi being able to threaten and get rid of the Tapus/Fairies, allowing them to plow through teams with their respective stabs
  • Nihi appreciates teammates that can kill fat stuff such as Chansey and Amoonguss that Nihi itself cannot break through. Kartana and M Gross are pretty decent options for this

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

trick room + WIki berry allows for a "slow mode" which could be useful against faster offensive teams.
48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe with a Timid Nature takes a Timid Koko Gigavolt Havoc after SR, outspeeds Kyu-B, gets enough SpA for the right Beast Boost, and dumps in Def allowing it to take -1 uninvested Kart's Bloom Doom)

HP Fire is able to lure in Kartana/Mega Zor and OHKO or severely dent them, although its not recommended since Zor can easily OHKO Nihilego with Bpunch while faster Kart variants OHKO it with leaf blade

lo
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 335-398 (97.3 - 115.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-Therian: 390-463 (102 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Incineroar: 322-382 (81.7 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Power Gem vs. 96 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Victini: 198-237 (54.2 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 304-359 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Nihilego Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Incineroar: 322-382 (81.7 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Life Orb can be used to help make up for Nihilego's inability to get immediate KOs due to its lack of offensive power, best used with Stealth Rock as SR is able to push many of Nihi's targets such as Tapu Fini and bulky Tapu Lele variants into OHKO range.

acid spray can punish switch ins and help Nihilego get potential KOs against bulkier pokemon, such as AV KyuB and Seed Zapdos

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-Types**: Steel-Types in general are able to check Nihilego really well since most of them — in particular Mega Metagross and Kartana resist both of Nihilego's STAB moves and are able to switch in pretty comfortably against it and force it out.

**Ground-Types**: Landorus-T and Zygarde are able to effectively check Nihilego variants not carrying HP Ice. Gastrodon and Mega Camerupt can also easily threaten a KO thanks to Nihilego's 4x weakness to Ground-Type attacks.

**Water Types**: Rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert are able to outspeed Nihilego and OHKO it with their rain boosted STABs. Suicune is also able to slowly chip Nihilego down with either Snarl or Scald while Araquanid doesn't mind taking a Power Gem and OHKOing Nihilego with Liquidation in return.

**Psychic-Types**: Tapu Lele and Mega Latias are both able to deal huge damage to Nihilego with Psychic and Psyshock. Gothitelle and Cresselia on the other hand are also bulky enough to take a few hits from Nihilego while slowly chipping it down with their respective STABs.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Pokemon such as Diancie and Tyranitar are able to chunk Nihilego with their physical STAB moves thanks to Nihilego's physical bulk being practically nonexistent.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Yuichii, 435812]]
- Quality checked by: [[name, ID], [name, ID]]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, ID], [name, ID]]

Last edited:

talkingtree

Workin' out, sleepin' in, takin' vitamins
is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past Smogon Snake Draft Champion
Doubles Captain
First, touching on the sets. You sort of came to the same conclusion that I did about the bulky set, so go ahead and move that to OO. I'm not really sure how I feel about the spread there, since you want to get SpA boosts on that set and definitely not Spe if you're running TR, but it's not super important now (and I'll suggest an alternate one later in the check heh).

For the offensive (now only) set, I think Rockium / Sash is probably a better item choice, since Sash lets you get SR up no matter what and take a threatening phys hit. LO's pretty good OO material, but I haven't really seen it put in work the way Rockium/Sash have. Also, HP Fire should only be in OO; you don't want to be relying on Kart to be non-max Speed, and it will drop to a +1 Rockium regardless. Stealth Rock / Hidden Power Ice for the slashing is good enough for me. As a small nitpick, you'll get more out of that 4 leftover if you put it in Defense instead of HP.
  • [Overview] Steel-types (specifically Mega Metagross) are by far the biggest obstacle to Nihilego's success, so you should make sure to mention them here
  • [Overview] I'd also touch on its ability to snowball; outspeeding plenty of mons and getting stronger with a solid STAB combo is pretty scary
  • [Overview] Instead of Victini for outspeeding things, I'd mention something that's more relevant and more likely to use max (or near max) speed investment without being a scarfer. Maybe Kyurem-B?
  • [Set Details] When you actually write this up I think all you need is max/max for speed and power /// SpA highest stat for Beast Boost /// Rockium for a nuke or Sash for guaranteed rocks
  • [Usage Tips] Some of the mons you suggest to bring it in against (zeraora and mew mainly) don't really mind facing nihilego and can either use it for easy pivoting / setting up tailwind / chunking it with plasma fists. In general, nihi may be able to take hits from koko / zard (sort of) well, but with no recovery it isn't exactly an easy pivot. In fact, it'll be 2HKOed by LO Koko Tbolt -- not exactly something you can advertise as a switch-in
  • [Usage Tips] Start this section off with the role Nihilego fills (offensive SR setter / anti-meta breaker) before you go into specific notes
  • [Team Options] Lando and Zyg cannot be considered Steel checks when Metagross (Ice Punch), Genesect (Ice Beam) and Kart (Bloom Doom) are the three most popular Steel-types. The majority of Steel-types aren't even Ground-weak nowadays. I'd honestly just axe this bullet point, you can talk a bit about what Lando provides in the Intim point you made
  • [Team Options] Actual Steel-killers are important to mention like Volcanion and Genesect in addition to your mention of Zard
  • [Team Options] Ground killers are good to mention too, Zygarde is a serious problem if you aren't carrying HP Ice and Mega Swampert / Gastro sit on any of Nihi's moves and threaten it
  • [Other Options] My preferred order here would be:
    • Trick Room (+ Wiki Berry) --> Hidden Power Fire --> Life Orb --> Acid Spray
    • and honestly probably nothing else. I could maybe be talked around on Substitute, Choice Scarf, or Toxic Spikes, but everything else is so theorymonned or a why bother thing
  • [Other Options] For a TR / bulky (er) spread, I haven't proposed this with the rest of QC so there may be a change after we've discussed but I'd go with 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe | Timid Nature
    • This takes a Timid Koko Gigavolt Havoc after SR, outspeeds Kyu-B, gets enough SpA for the right Beast Boost, and dumps in Def (notably takes -1 uninvested Kart's Bloom Doom)
  • [Checks and Counters] Again I think order is important, so I'd go with something like: Steel-types --> Ground-types --> Water-types --> Psychic-types --> Strong Physical Attackers
    • Specially bulky / fat stuff don't really count to me because they can't do a ton back (except Ferro, which is more because it's a Steel-type) so they lose if Nihilego can take out the partner and boost up
  • [Checks and Counters] Ground-types should include Gastro / Mega Camerupt because they don't even fear HP Ice; similarly, make sure you emphasize Mega Swampert when you talk about rain
  • [Checks and Counters] It's kind of difficult to figure out what Steel-types to mention because they're all such a big problem for different reasons... Mega Scizor can take out Nihilego regardless of speed control, Bronzong and Stakataka set TR in its face and drop it with Gyro, and all the mons you mentioned are issues for their own reasons. I'm not sure how to best write this up so I'll just let you do your best and leave it up to the QC 2/2 checker to fix any potential issues
Do the above and message me on Discord with any questions! Once you get through these I'll double check before stamping / sending you off to write up.

talkingtree

Workin' out, sleepin' in, takin' vitamins
is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past Smogon Snake Draft Champion
Doubles Captain
Fine with that change, and the only additional thing I'd like is on the Acid Spray bit in OO -- it's especially good on Zard teams (which already synergizes well anyway), since Acid Spray + Heat Wave in Sun is seriously scary.

QC 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)