Nihilego

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Nihilego's base 103 Speed stat allows it to outspeed common foes such as Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B with ease, which, when paired with Beast Boost, gives Nihilego the ability to quickly get out of hand. This, combined with a unique offensive typing and an excellent Special Attack stat, lets it function as an anti-metagame breaker that excels at dismantling Mega Charizard Y balance teams along with other bulkier control-oriented teams containing Pokemon such as Incineroar, Zapdos, and Tapu Fini . Despite these upsides, Nihilego may find itself struggling to pick up KOs due to the presence of many specially defensive Pokemon in the format. Furthermore, Nihilego is also easily forced out by Steel-types and strong physical attackers, as it is very frail.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Power Gem
move 3: Stealth Rock / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Rockium Z / Focus Sash
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb and Power Gem provide valuable Poison- and Rock-type coverage , allowing Nihilego to hit a plethora of metagame threats like Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Incineroar super effectively. Stealth Rock chips many of Nihilego's targets, such as Tapu Lele and Volcanion, into OHKO range of its STAB moves, while Hidden Power Ice hits both Landorus-T and Zygarde, which otherwise wall Nihilego. Protect is useful for stalling out turns while Nihilego's ally helps get rid of opposing Steel-types or scouting out potential sets the foe is running.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment ensures that Nihilego outspeeds both Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B while being able to hit as hard as possible. Rockium Z provides the extra boost needed to OHKO bulkier targets such as Incineroar while acting as a one-time nuke to help Nihilego get going with Beast Boost. Focus Sash is also an alternative if the team has another Z-Move user, as it guarantees that Nihilego is able to get off a few attacks or set up Stealth Rock even in the presence of its checks.

Usage Tips
========

Nihilego best functions as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that can blanket check a range of prominent threats thanks to its unique offensive typing. However, its Special Attack may be lacking at times and miss important OHKOs; thus, it is beneficial to try to set up Stealth Rock early to chip its targets into KO range of its attacks. If Nihilego finds itself lacking an opportunity to do so, it can choose to utilize its Z-Move instead to secure the KO. It's also a good idea to try to bring Nihilego onto the field with the help of slow pivots, such as Incineroar, to extend its longevity so it is able to fully utilize its wallbreaking potential. Alternatively, it is also fine to hard switch Nihilego into Fire-types or other Pokemon that are unable to retaliate against it, such as Volcarona and unboosted Tapu Fini. Finally, it is advisable for Nihilego to always switch out when an opposing Steel-type hits the field, since Nihilego cannot do much against them.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y teams in particular appreciate Nihilego's presence, since the two have great offensive synergy together, with Nihilego being able to remove Fire-types such as Incineroar and Volcanion that otherwise wall Charizard while Charizard removes Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Kartana. Steel-type checks such as Incineroar, Landorus-T, and Volcanion are absolutely mandatory for teams featuring Nihilego, as it will find itself struggling to deal any damage at all against such foes. Nihilego values teammates such as Kartana and Tapu Fini, as they are able to check Ground-types such as Mega Swampert and Gastrodon, which Nihilego struggles against. Dragon-types such as Kommo-o and Kyurem-B benefit from Nihilego's ability to threaten and get rid of the Island Guardians along with other Fairy-types, allowing them to plow through teams with their respective STAB attacks. Common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Incineroar also work well with Nihilego, as they help make up for Nihilego's poor physical bulk through constant Intimidate shuffling. Lastly, Nihilego benefits tremendously from allies like Incineroar and Mega Metagross that are able to force out specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Amoonguss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Wiki Berry set with Trick Room in the Stealth Rock moveslot helps against faster offensive teams. A bulkier spread of 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe with a Timid nature lets Nihilego take a Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko after Stealth Rock and outspeed Kyurem-B while retaining enough Special Attack for the right Beast Boost. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense, allowing Nihilego to take a -1 uninvested Kartana's Bloom Doom. Life Orb helps make up for Nihilego's inability to get immediate KOs due to its lack of power and is best used with Stealth Rock to push many of Nihilego's targets such as Tapu Fini and bulky Tapu Lele variants into OHKO range. With Hidden Power Fire, Nihilego can lure in Kartana or Mega Scizor to OHKO or severely dent them, although its not recommended because Mega Scizor can easily OHKO Nihilego with Bullet Punch, while faster Kartana variants OHKO it with Leaf Blade.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Steel-types in general are able to check Nihilego really well because most of them, in particular Mega Metagross and Kartana, resist both of Nihilego's STAB moves and can switch in pretty comfortably against it and force it out.

**Ground-types**: Landorus-T and Zygarde are able to effectively check Nihilego variants not carrying Hidden Power Ice. Gastrodon and Mega Camerupt can also easily threaten a KO due to Nihilego's 4x weakness to Ground-type attacks.

**Water-types**: Rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert are able to outspeed Nihilego and OHKO it with their boosted STAB attacks. Suicune is also able to slowly chip Nihilego down with either Snarl or Scald, while Araquanid can take a Power Gem and OHKO Nihilego with Liquidation in return.

**Psychic-types**: Tapu Lele and Mega Latias are both free to deal huge damage to Nihilego with Psychic and Psyshock. Gothitelle and Cresselia, on the other hand, are bulky enough to take a few hits from Nihilego while slowly chipping it down with their respective STAB attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Pokemon such as Diancie, Kartana, and Tyranitar chunk Nihilego with their STAB moves due to Nihilego's practically nonexistent physical bulk.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Yuichii, 435812]]
- Quality checked by: [[talkingtree, 232101], [Memoric, 215000]]
- Grammar checked by: [[rabia, 336073], [the-dutch-plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
First, touching on the sets. You sort of came to the same conclusion that I did about the bulky set, so go ahead and move that to OO. I'm not really sure how I feel about the spread there, since you want to get SpA boosts on that set and definitely not Spe if you're running TR, but it's not super important now (and I'll suggest an alternate one later in the check heh).

For the offensive (now only) set, I think Rockium / Sash is probably a better item choice, since Sash lets you get SR up no matter what and take a threatening phys hit. LO's pretty good OO material, but I haven't really seen it put in work the way Rockium/Sash have. Also, HP Fire should only be in OO; you don't want to be relying on Kart to be non-max Speed, and it will drop to a +1 Rockium regardless. Stealth Rock / Hidden Power Ice for the slashing is good enough for me. As a small nitpick, you'll get more out of that 4 leftover if you put it in Defense instead of HP.
  • [Overview] Steel-types (specifically Mega Metagross) are by far the biggest obstacle to Nihilego's success, so you should make sure to mention them here
  • [Overview] I'd also touch on its ability to snowball; outspeeding plenty of mons and getting stronger with a solid STAB combo is pretty scary
  • [Overview] Instead of Victini for outspeeding things, I'd mention something that's more relevant and more likely to use max (or near max) speed investment without being a scarfer. Maybe Kyurem-B?
  • [Set Details] When you actually write this up I think all you need is max/max for speed and power /// SpA highest stat for Beast Boost /// Rockium for a nuke or Sash for guaranteed rocks
  • [Usage Tips] Some of the mons you suggest to bring it in against (zeraora and mew mainly) don't really mind facing nihilego and can either use it for easy pivoting / setting up tailwind / chunking it with plasma fists. In general, nihi may be able to take hits from koko / zard (sort of) well, but with no recovery it isn't exactly an easy pivot. In fact, it'll be 2HKOed by LO Koko Tbolt -- not exactly something you can advertise as a switch-in
  • [Usage Tips] Start this section off with the role Nihilego fills (offensive SR setter / anti-meta breaker) before you go into specific notes
  • [Team Options] Lando and Zyg cannot be considered Steel checks when Metagross (Ice Punch), Genesect (Ice Beam) and Kart (Bloom Doom) are the three most popular Steel-types. The majority of Steel-types aren't even Ground-weak nowadays. I'd honestly just axe this bullet point, you can talk a bit about what Lando provides in the Intim point you made
  • [Team Options] Actual Steel-killers are important to mention like Volcanion and Genesect in addition to your mention of Zard
  • [Team Options] Ground killers are good to mention too, Zygarde is a serious problem if you aren't carrying HP Ice and Mega Swampert / Gastro sit on any of Nihi's moves and threaten it
  • [Other Options] My preferred order here would be:
    • Trick Room (+ Wiki Berry) --> Hidden Power Fire --> Life Orb --> Acid Spray
    • and honestly probably nothing else. I could maybe be talked around on Substitute, Choice Scarf, or Toxic Spikes, but everything else is so theorymonned or a why bother thing
  • [Other Options] For a TR / bulky (er) spread, I haven't proposed this with the rest of QC so there may be a change after we've discussed but I'd go with 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe | Timid Nature
    • This takes a Timid Koko Gigavolt Havoc after SR, outspeeds Kyu-B, gets enough SpA for the right Beast Boost, and dumps in Def (notably takes -1 uninvested Kart's Bloom Doom)
  • [Checks and Counters] Again I think order is important, so I'd go with something like: Steel-types --> Ground-types --> Water-types --> Psychic-types --> Strong Physical Attackers
    • Specially bulky / fat stuff don't really count to me because they can't do a ton back (except Ferro, which is more because it's a Steel-type) so they lose if Nihilego can take out the partner and boost up
  • [Checks and Counters] Ground-types should include Gastro / Mega Camerupt because they don't even fear HP Ice; similarly, make sure you emphasize Mega Swampert when you talk about rain
  • [Checks and Counters] It's kind of difficult to figure out what Steel-types to mention because they're all such a big problem for different reasons... Mega Scizor can take out Nihilego regardless of speed control, Bronzong and Stakataka set TR in its face and drop it with Gyro, and all the mons you mentioned are issues for their own reasons. I'm not sure how to best write this up so I'll just let you do your best and leave it up to the QC 2/2 checker to fix any potential issues
Do the above and message me on Discord with any questions! Once you get through these I'll double check before stamping / sending you off to write up.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Fine with that change, and the only additional thing I'd like is on the Acid Spray bit in OO -- it's especially good on Zard teams (which already synergizes well anyway), since Acid Spray + Heat Wave in Sun is seriously scary.

QC 1/2

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Overview
  • Emphasize how it's able to function well as an anti-meta pick. What specifically in the meta is it geared to beat? Name these specific mons and builds, show them concretely for the reader.
  • I think the part about it having high SpA is better placed elsewhere with a different point, it's really Nihilego's typing that most prominently allows it to be antimeta
  • Something to note is that it's really the combination of typing, strength, and speed that allow it to be antimeta; a way you could pack this info concisely is initially present it as an antimeta mon, then support by saying that the aforemention combination allows it to beat x, y, and z. Adjust the rest as necessary
  • Name the specially bulky Pokemon, name steels, name strong physical attackers. be concrete.
Set
  • Remove the space
Moves
  • "allowing it to hit a plethora of threats in the metagame" such as...?
  • HP Ice is not really "surprising" them, it's a respectable option on Nihi as is, change the word
Set Details
  • Specify the more general use of Rockium Z.
  • Sash isn't just for setting Rocks, specify the more general use of Sash
UT
  • For the point in sentence #2, you can add blowing your Z here for securing the KOs you need, it should flow really well.
TO
  • "More offensive teams value Nihilego's unique coverage, in particular teams containing Mega Charizard Y. Nihilego and Mega Charizard Y have amazing synergy as Mega Charizard Y is able to help" expand on this more, add another prominent teammate or add more points on this or something. this is something you need to emphasize, it's literally its niche. Talk about things that appreciate Nihilego beating that things it's able to beat.
  • Rewrite this a bit, I saw the outline you had and you pretty much just ripped from them near word-for-word. Make this flow better.
OO
  • Acid Spray seems really gimmicky, remove.
C&C
  • " Araquanid doesn't mind taking a Power Gem" reword, it does mind.
  • not that important but if you can name one more strong phys attacker, that'd be nice.
tag when implemented

Yuichi

umu!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I had some tests earlier in the week so I couldn't look at this earlier sry. I think everything should be fixed now, lmk if there needs to be any futher changes.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
we've hit the facts right but if you could rewrite the overview a bit more, that'd be coolio. 2/2 send this to GP once you're content

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
amcheck
Additions
Removals
Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Nihilgeo sports a base 103 base Speed Speed, allowing it to outspeed common foes such as Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B with ease—which when paired with Beast Boost, gives Nihilego the ability to snowball out of control. This This, combined with a unique offensive typing and an excellent Special Attack stat stat, lets it function as an anti-meta breaker that excels at dismantling Mega Charizard Y balance teams; teams alongside along with other bulkier control oriented teams containing Pokemon such as Incineroar, Zapdos and Tapu Fini to name a few. Despite all these, Nihilego may find itself struggling to pick up KOs due to the presence of many specially bulky Pokemon in the format. Furthermore, Nihilego is also easily forced out by Steel-Types Steel-types and strong Physical Attackers physical attackers, as it is very frail defensively.

[SET]
move 3: Stealth Rock / HP Hidden Power Ice

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb and Power Gem provides valuable Poison- and Rock- type coverage respectively, allowing it to hit a plethora of metagame threats ranging from Incineroar to Tapu Fini and Zapdos. Stealth Rock chips many of Nihilego's targets—such targets, such as Tapu Lele and Volcanion Volcanion, into OHKO range of its STAB moves while HP Hidden Power Ice hits both Landorus-T and Zygarde, which otherwise walls wall Nihilego. Protect is useful for stalling out turns while Nihilego's ally helps get rid of opposing Steel-Types, Steel-types or to scout scouting out potential sets that the foe is running.

Set Details
========

Max Special Attack and Speed ensures that Nihilego outspeeds both Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B, Kyurem-B while being able to hit as hard as possible.
Rockium Z provides the extra boost needed to OHKO bulkier targets such as Incineroar while also acting as a one time one-time nuke to help Nihilego snowball with Beast Boost. Focus Sash is also an alternative if the team has another Z move Z-Move user user, as it guarantees that Nihilego is able to get off a few attacks or set up Stealth Rock despite its checks.

Usage Tips
========

Nihilego best functions as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that can to blanket check a range of prominent threats thanks to its unique offensive typing. However However, its Special Attack may be lacking at times and miss important OHKOs, OHKOs; as such such, it is beneficial to try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to chip its targets into KO range of its attacks—or attacks, or if Nihilego finds itself lacking an opportunity to do so, it can choose to utilize its Z move Z-Move instead to secure the KO. It's also a good idea to try and bring Nihilego onto the field with the help of slow pivots, such as Incineroar Incineroar, to extend Nihilego's longevity so that it is able to fully utilize its breaking potential. Alternatively, it is also fine to hard switch Nihilego into Fire-Types as well as stuff that are unable to retaliate against it. Examples include Volcarona and Tapu Fini that has not set up Calm Mind. Finally, it is advisable for Nihilego to always switch out when an opposing Steel-Type hits the field, since Nihilego cannot to do anything much against them.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y teams in particular appreciates appreciate Nihilego's presence on the team since Nihilego both Nihilego and Mega Charizard Y has great offensive synergy together, with Nihilego being able to help Charizard rid of Fire-Types such as Incineroar and Volcanion which that otheriwse otherwise wall walls it while Charizard deletes removes Steel-Types Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Kartana for Nihilego. Steel-Type Steel-type checks such as Incineroar, Landorus-T, and Volcanion are absolutely mandatory for teams featuring Nihilego Nihilego, as Nihilego it will find itself struggling to deal any damage at all against such foes. foes, examples include Incineroar, Landorus-T and Volcanion. Nihilego value values teammates such as Kartana and Tapu Fini Fini, as they are able to check Ground-Types Ground-types such as Mega Swampert and Gastrodon Gastrodon, which Nihilego struggle struggles against. Dragon-Types Dragon-types such as Kommo-o and Kyurem-B benefit from Nihilego's ability to threaten and get rid of the Island Guardians alongside along with other fellow Fairy-Types, Fairy-types, allowing them to plow through teams with their respective STABs. STAB attacks. Common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Incineroar also work well with Nihilego as they help make up for Nihilego's poor physical bulk through constant Intimidate shuffling. Lastly, Nihilego benefits tremendously from allies like Incineroar and Mega Metagross that are able to force out specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey and Amoonguss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The combination of Trick Room in the Stealth Rock slot and a Wiki Berry allows for a "slow mode" which could be useful against faster offensive teams. A bulkier spread of 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe with a Timid Nature lets Nihilego take a Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko after SR Stealth Rock and outspeeds outspeed Kyurem-B; Kyurem-B while retaining enough Special Attack for the right Beast Boost. Remaining EVs are dumped in Def allowing it to take a -1 uninvested Kart's Kartana's Bloom Doom. Life Orb helps make up for Nihilego's inability to get immediate KOs due to its lack of offensive power and is best used with Stealth Rock to push many of Nihilego's targets such as Tapu Fini and bulky Tapu Lele variants into OHKO range. With HP Fire Fire, Nihilego is can lure in Kartana or Mega Scizor to OHKO or severely dent them, although its not recommended since Mega Scizor can easily OHKO Nihilego with Bullet Punch while faster Kartana variants OHKO it with Leaf Blade.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-Types**: Steel-Types in general are able to check Nihilego really well since most of them—in them, in particular Mega Metagross and Kartana Kartana, resist both of Nihilego's STAB moves and can to switch in pretty comfortably against it and force it out.

**Ground-Types**: Landorus-T and Zygarde are able to effectively check Nihilego variants not carrying HP Ice. Gastrodon and Mega Camerupt can also easily threaten a KO thanks to Nihilego's 4x weakness to Ground-Type attacks.

**Water Types**: Rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert are able to outspeed Nihilego and OHKO it with their rain boosted STABs. STAB attacks. Suicune is also able to slowly chip Nihilego down with either Snarl or Scald while Araquanid is able to take a Power Gem and OHKO Nihilego with Liquidation in return.

**Psychic-Types**: Tapu Lele and Mega Latias are both free to deal huge damage to Nihilego with Psychic and Psyshock. Gothitelle and Cresselia Cresselia, on the other hand hand, are also bulky enough to take a few hits from Nihilego while slowly chipping it down with their respective STABs. STAB attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Pokemon such as Diancie, Kartana Kartana, and Tyranitar chunk Nihilego with their physical STAB moves thanks to Nihilego's physical bulk being practically nonexistent.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, ID], [name, ID]]

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Nihilgeo Nihilego sports a base 103 Speed stat, allowing it to outspeed common foes such as Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B with ease,(AC) which,(AC) when paired with Beast Boost, gives Nihilego the ability to snowball out of control quickly get out of hand. This, combined with a unique offensive typing and an excellent Special Attack stat, lets it function as an anti-metagame breaker that excels at dismantling Mega Charizard Y balance teams along with other bulkier control-oriented(AH) teams containing Pokemon such as Incineroar, Zapdos,(AC) and Tapu Fini to name a few. Despite all these upsides, Nihilego may find itself struggling to pick up KOs due to the presence of many specially bulky defensive Pokemon in the format. Furthermore, Nihilego is also easily forced out by Steel-types and strong physical attackers, as it is very frail defensively (redundant).

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb and Power Gem provides provide valuable Poison- and Rock-type(spacing) coverage respectively, allowing it Nihilego to hit a plethora of metagame threats ranging from Incineroar to Tapu Fini and Zapdos like Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Incineroar super effectively. Stealth Rock chips many of Nihilego's targets, such as Tapu Lele and Volcanion, into OHKO range of its STAB moves,(AC) while Hidden Power Ice hits both Landorus-T and Zygarde, which otherwise wall Nihilego. Protect is useful for stalling out turns while Nihilego's ally helps get rid of opposing Steel-types or scouting out potential sets that the foe is running.

Set Details
========

Max Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment ensures that Nihilego outspeeds both Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B while being able to hit as hard as possible. Rockium Z provides the extra boost needed to OHKO bulkier targets such as Incineroar while also acting as a one-time nuke to help Nihilego snowball get going (there was some talk of this being poor usage of snowball iirc) with Beast Boost. Focus Sash is also an alternative if the team has another Z-Move user, as it guarantees that Nihilego is able to get off a few attacks or set up Stealth Rock despite its checks.

Usage Tips
========

Nihilego best functions as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that can to blanket check a range of prominent threats thanks to its unique offensive typing. However, its Special Attack may be lacking at times and miss important OHKOs; as such, it is beneficial to try to set up Stealth Rock early in the game to chip its targets into KO range of its attacks,(RC) or if.(AP) If Nihilego finds itself lacking an opportunity to do so, it can choose to utilize its Z-Move instead to secure the KO. It's also a good idea to try and bring Nihilego onto the field with the help of slow pivots, such as Incineroar, to extend Nihilego's its longevity so that it is able to fully utilize its wallbreaking potential. Alternatively, it is also fine to hard switch Nihilego into Fire-Types as well as stuff Fire-types as well as other Pokemon that are unable to retaliate against it,(AC) such as Volcarona and unboosted Tapu Fini. Examples include Volcarona and Tapu Fini that has not set up Calm Mind. Finally, it is advisable for Nihilego to always switch out when an opposing Steel-Type Steel-type hits the field, since Nihilego cannot to do anything much against them.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y teams in particular appreciate Nihilego's presence on the team,(AC) since Nihilego and Mega Charizard Y has have great offensive synergy together, with Nihilego being able to help Charizard rid of Fire-Types remove Fire-types such as Incineroar and Volcanion that otherwise wall it Charizard while Charizard removes Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Kartana for Nihilego. Steel-type checks such as Incineroar, Landorus-T, and Volcanion are absolutely mandatory for teams featuring Nihilego, as it will find itself struggling to deal any damage at all against such foes. Nihilego values teammates such as Kartana and Tapu Fini, as they are able to check Ground-types such as Mega Swampert and Gastrodon, which Nihilego struggles against. Dragon-types such as Kommo-o and Kyurem-B benefit from Nihilego's ability to threaten and get rid of the Island Guardians along with other fellow Fairy-types, allowing them to plow through teams with their respective STAB attacks. Common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Incineroar also work well with Nihilego,(AC) as they help make up for Nihilego's poor physical bulk through constant Intimidate shuffling. Lastly, Nihilego benefits tremendously from allies like Incineroar and Mega Metagross that are able to force out specially bulky defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Amoonguss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The combination of Trick Room in the Stealth Rock moveslot and a Wiki Berry allows for a "slow mode" which could be useful against faster offensive teams helps against faster offensive teams.(this is about all the meaning I could garner from the sentence as it was) A bulkier spread of 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe with a Timid Nature lets Nihilego take a Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko after Stealth Rock and outspeed Kyurem-B while retaining enough Special Attack for the right Beast Boost. Remaining EVs are dumped into Defense,(AC) allowing it to take a -1 uninvested Kartana's Bloom Doom. Life Orb helps make up for Nihilego's inability to get immediate KOs due to its lack of offensive power and is best used with Stealth Rock to push many of Nihilego's targets such as Tapu Fini and bulky Tapu Lele variants into OHKO range. With HP Hidden Power Fire, Nihilego can lure in Kartana or Mega Scizor to OHKO or severely dent them, although its not recommended since because Mega Scizor can easily OHKO Nihilego with Bullet Punch,(AC) while faster Kartana variants OHKO it with Leaf Blade.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-Types Steel-types**: Steel-Types Steel-types in general are able to check Nihilego really well since because most of them, in particular Mega Metagross and Kartana, resist both of Nihilego's STAB moves and can switch in pretty comfortably against it and force it out.

**Ground-Types Ground-types**: Landorus-T and Zygarde are able to effectively check Nihilego variants not carrying HP Hidden Power Ice. Gastrodon and Mega Camerupt can also easily threaten a KO thanks due to Nihilego's 4x weakness to Ground-Type Ground-type attacks.

**Water Types Water-types**: Rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert are able to outspeed Nihilego and OHKO it with their rain-boosted(AH) STAB attacks. Suicune is also able to slowly chip Nihilego down with either Snarl or Scald,(AC) while Araquanid is able to can take a Power Gem and OHKO Nihilego with Liquidation in return.

**Psychic-Types Psychic-types**: Tapu Lele and Mega Latias are both free to deal huge damage to Nihilego with Psychic and Psyshock. Gothitelle and Cresselia, on the other hand, are bulky enough to take a few hits from Nihilego while slowly chipping it down with their respective STAB attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Pokemon such as Diancie, Kartana, and Tyranitar chunk Nihilego with their physical STAB moves thanks due (eh, thanks to has a positive connotation ig) to Nihilego's physical bulk being practically nonexistent.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, ID], [name, ID]]

gp 1/2 once done

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Nihilego's sports a base 103 Speed stat, allowing allows it to outspeed common foes such as Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B with ease, which, when paired with Beast Boost, gives Nihilego the ability to quickly get out of hand. This, combined with a unique offensive typing and an excellent Special Attack stat, lets it function as an anti-metagame breaker that excels at dismantling Mega Charizard Y balance teams along with other bulkier control-oriented teams containing Pokemon such as Incineroar, Zapdos, and Tapu Fini . Despite these upsides, Nihilego may find itself struggling to pick up KOs due to the presence of many specially defensive Pokemon in the format. Furthermore, Nihilego is also easily forced out by Steel-types and strong physical attackers, as it is very frail.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sludge Bomb and Power Gem provide valuable Poison- and Rock-type coverage , allowing Nihilego to hit a plethora of metagame threats like Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Incineroar super effectively. Stealth Rock chips many of Nihilego's targets, such as Tapu Lele and Volcanion, into OHKO range of its STAB moves, while Hidden Power Ice hits both Landorus-T and Zygarde, which otherwise wall Nihilego. Protect is useful for stalling out turns while Nihilego's ally helps get rid of opposing Steel-types or scouting out potential sets the foe is running.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment ensures that Nihilego outspeeds both Mega Charizard Y and Kyurem-B while being able to hit as hard as possible. Rockium Z provides the extra boost needed to OHKO bulkier targets such as Incineroar while acting as a one-time nuke to help Nihilego get going with Beast Boost. Focus Sash is also an alternative if the team has another Z-Move user, as it guarantees that Nihilego is able to get off a few attacks or set up Stealth Rock despite even in the presence of (less awkward, if smth else works better then use that) its checks.

Usage Tips
========

Nihilego best functions as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that can blanket check a range of prominent threats thanks to its unique offensive typing. However, its Special Attack may be lacking at times and miss important OHKOs; as such, thus, it is beneficial to try to set up Stealth Rock early to chip its targets into KO range of its attacks. If Nihilego finds itself lacking an opportunity to do so, it can choose to utilize its Z-Move instead to secure the KO. It's also a good idea to try and to bring Nihilego onto the field with the help of slow pivots, such as Incineroar, to extend its longevity so it is able to fully utilize its wallbreaking potential. Alternatively, it is also fine to hard switch Nihilego into Fire-types as well as or other Pokemon that are unable to retaliate against it, such as Volcarona and unboosted Tapu Fini. Finally, it is advisable for Nihilego to always switch out when an opposing Steel-type hits the field, since Nihilego cannot do much against them.

Team Options
========

Mega Charizard Y teams in particular appreciate Nihilego's presence, since Nihilego and Mega Charizard Y the two have great offensive synergy together, with Nihilego being able to remove Fire-types such as Incineroar and Volcanion that otherwise wall Charizard while Charizard removes Steel-types such as Mega Metagross and Kartana. Steel-type checks such as Incineroar, Landorus-T, and Volcanion are absolutely mandatory for teams featuring Nihilego, as it will find itself struggling to deal any damage at all against such foes. Nihilego values teammates such as Kartana and Tapu Fini, as they are able to check Ground-types such as Mega Swampert and Gastrodon, which Nihilego struggles against. Dragon-types such as Kommo-o and Kyurem-B benefit from Nihilego's ability to threaten and get rid of the Island Guardians along with other fellow Fairy-types, allowing them to plow through teams with their respective STAB attacks. Common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Incineroar also work well with Nihilego,(space)as they help make up for Nihilego's poor physical bulk through constant Intimidate shuffling. Lastly, Nihilego benefits tremendously from allies like Incineroar and Mega Metagross that are able to force out specially defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Amoonguss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The combination of A Wiki Berry set with Trick Room in the Stealth Rock moveslot and a Wiki Berry helps against faster offensive teams. A bulkier spread of 48 HP / 152 Def / 116 SpA / 192 Spe with a Timid nature lets Nihilego take a Gigavolt Havoc from Tapu Koko after Stealth Rock and outspeed Kyurem-B while retaining enough Special Attack for the right Beast Boost. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense, allowing it Nihilego to take a -1 uninvested Kartana's Bloom Doom. Life Orb helps make up for Nihilego's inability to get immediate KOs due to its lack of offensive power and is best used with Stealth Rock to push many of Nihilego's targets such as Tapu Fini and bulky Tapu Lele variants into OHKO range. With Hidden Power Fire, Nihilego can lure in Kartana or Mega Scizor to OHKO or severely dent them, although its not recommended because Mega Scizor can easily OHKO Nihilego with Bullet Punch, while faster Kartana variants OHKO it with Leaf Blade.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Steel-types in general are able to check Nihilego really well because most of them, in particular Mega Metagross and Kartana, resist both of Nihilego's STAB moves and can switch in pretty comfortably against it and force it out.

**Ground-types**: Landorus-T and Zygarde are able to effectively check Nihilego variants not carrying Hidden Power Ice. Gastrodon and Mega Camerupt can also easily threaten a KO due to Nihilego's 4x weakness to Ground-type attacks.

**Water-types**: Rain sweepers such as Kingdra and Mega Swampert are able to outspeed Nihilego and OHKO it with their rain-boosted STAB attacks. Suicune is also able to slowly chip Nihilego down with either Snarl or Scald,(space)while Araquanid can take a Power Gem and OHKO Nihilego with Liquidation in return.

**Psychic-types**: Tapu Lele and Mega Latias are both free to deal huge damage to Nihilego with Psychic and Psyshock. Gothitelle and Cresselia, on the other hand, are bulky enough to take a few hits from Nihilego while slowly chipping it down with their respective STAB attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Pokemon such as Diancie, Kartana, and Tyranitar chunk Nihilego with their physical STAB moves due to Nihilego's physical bulk being practically nonexistent physical bulk.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[rabia, 336073], [name, ID]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)