Gen 3 Ninebreaker - OU team

the ev spread for the gengar that musicaltide is talking about is actually 252 hp / 88 def/ 32 spA / 56 spDef / 80 spd timid nature. The one he suggested is an older version of that ev spread that was made using a faulty damage calculator. This one is correct. does all the stuff he was talking about, takes stab psychic from a max of 262 spA (this is claydol's max, which may seem situational, but it also helps against defensive celebi/jirachi in a tight spot, which can never ko this spread, as well as taking blissey and cloyster's ice beams), guarantees the ko on standard bulky dragon dance mence in sand, and has 303 speed for a slightly better speed creep. If you do opt to use that spread, i highly suggest you use spikes, as the gengar isn't really doing anything important without them. cloyster over metagross as bekins suggested might be nice, and with that you could afford to replace your starmie with a more reliable gar answer (celebi, zapdos, blissey) as magneton would not be quite as necessary.

Last edited:
A calm mind blissey could help with dealing with zapdos, even variants that have toxic/roar, blissey can just keep coming back, and eventually the bad luck will catch up, and zapdos won't find the right move in its sleep. it also can go head to head vs non roar cune, a number of offensive cmers, and most variants of gar. It's also just a good poke in general, and couples well with your own wisp gar (if you opt to use that).

oh man, these suggestions feel like i'm putting myself over a barrel xD
you guys are giving some really good ideas, but that will also drastically change the face of the team as a whole (not as bad as it sounds). can i ask for some sample lineups with the suggestions you guys are making? it's a bit much for me to mentally process at the moment, so i'm running into a bit of a block with it.

sorry about that haha :p
so im thinking:
Swampert: same set, maybe protect over toxic
Aerodactyl: same set
Cloyster: spikes, rapid spin, ice beam/surf, explosion (not sure about evs, cloyster isn't something i've used often)
tyranitar: same set
Blissey: calm mind, thunderbolt, ice beam, softboiled (ev spread should probably be max defense max spA modest or something close to that)
Gengar: thunderbolt, ice punch, willowisp, giga drain/taunt/hypnosis/whatever, and use ev spread suggested in post 26. alternatively if you want more speed, you could use 208 HP / 112 Def / 188 Spe timid nature. This still survives +1 mence hp fly, but drops quite a bit of spDef, and a tiny bit of spA for the ability to out speed all base 100s, and all adamant +1 ttar. I suggest not using this ev spread if you run taunt.

thanks for the advice guys, and thanks cowboy dan for the team sample, i'm going to build a secondary team as a temp to see how it handles. :)

so, after a fairly lengthy chat and test battle with Dan, i got a few additional changes made to my team and gave it a new test run with a friend. this time, instead of posting a "how i feel" about it thing, i'll just share this with you guys :3

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3oubeta-151664073

enjoy :D

ps, not sure why it shows from my opponent's view, but that's how it had shown on the replay.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You really should avoid playing ADV on Showdown, I recommend playing on Pokémon Online. Showdown still have some bugs that badly needs ironing out.

Is it possible we could see an importable of this team in its current form? that would really help us to give feedback. From the game it appears your opponent was on the less experienced side so it's really hard to say. By the way MoxieInfinite i always found the players on PO to be better on average, there just aren't as many, and having proper mechanics is pretty important. My main gripe with PO is it takes me hours to get just 1 battle in adv on slow days. More people need to play PO.

sure thing!
here's the current importable fresh from showdown;

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 88 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 16 HP / 200 Atk / 120 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 32 SpA / 56 SpD / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Punch
- Hypnosis
let me know what you guys think :)
(is it just me or did spoiler break?)

Last edited:
Hmm maybe with a Psychic or Fire Punch somewhere on that Gengar you'd be in a better position against Heracross. At now you can't hit it hard

Also a faster Flygon (faster than Heracross) would help.

Seems alright to me, You can test putting toxic over hp bug on flygon, if celebi becomes too difficult then you can put it back, but eq + rs + fire blast + toxic is really hard to switch in to. and yeah, fire punch over hypnosis would be my choice if you go for that route, fire punch works pretty nicely on bulky gar, making it a decent heracross counter, and giving a nice hit on magneton, jirachi, metagross, and others attempting to switch in on you. Hypnosis is good sometimes, but not entirely necessary, willowisp on the other hand is pretty important.

I don't think making flygon faster than hera helps much. Switching in on hera with flygon often allows it to just set up on you. fire blast uninvested doesn't 2hko, and misses when you least want it to. meanwhile, heracross can do a ton with its attacks, and set up swords dances. between fire punch gar, sand, and spikes, i think you'll be fine, and the extra bulk on flygon is something i've found handy at times.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)