Ninjask [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

QC Checks: Oglemi, Honko, zdrup15
GP Checks: Shame That, Jellicent (with credit to Engineer Pikachu)

[pimg]291[/pimg]

[Overview]

<p>Ninjask has been one of the best Baton Passers since its introduction in Ruby and Sapphire; this is largely because of its ability
, which boosts its Speed for free every turn. Combined with access to Swords Dance, a base Speed that beats everything short of Deoxys-S, and an Attack stat quite usable by RU standards, it's clear why Ninjask is one of the most feared Pokemon at its role. Unfortunately, this very fact turns out to be one of its biggest weaknesses; when an opponent sees the ninja cicada in Team Preview, they know exactly what it will be doing and will almost certainly send out something that can hinder it. Ninjask's awful defenses alongside its 4X Stealth Rock weakness only exacerbate this problem, as it compels Ninjask to favor the lead position in most matches. Still, Ninjask can make or break games entirely through its passing ability.</p>

[SET]

name: Pure Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers/Focus Sash/Mental Herb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 24 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Ninjask's bread and butter
: a basic passing set with the purpose of making a physical sweeper too strong for your opponent's team to handle. The combination of Substitute and Protect allows Ninjask to stall and let its ability do the work for it, buying turns to hopefully get a Swords Dance in as well. If Ninjask manages to pass both a Swords Dance and a Substitute, the game might as well be over. However, a Sub + 3 attacks set is recommended for most receivers, as it is unlikely that Ninjask will be able to pass a Substitute intact, and the last thing any receiver wants is to be bogged down with status.</p>

<p>It is crucial to carefully decide which item to use to fit your team's needs. Leftovers is standard to allow for more Substitutes and generally extend Ninjask's longevity, but Focus Sash allows for the possibility of safely passing Swords Dance against something that could otherwise OHKO
it. Mental Herb works as well, giving Ninjask freedom against an opponent's Taunt or Encore. Lum Berry is also an option, though Substitute will generally suffice for blocking status. X-Scissor is an option should Ninjask desperately need an attacking move, but this will greatly reduce Ninjask's defensive ability; use it at your own risk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs on this set allow for switching into Stealth Rock twice
or letting Ninjask make 4 Substitutes, which then have more HP and can remain intact if the receiver takes a resisted or weak hit. Max Speed isn't required because Ninjask outspeeds almost everything anyway and beats the few exceptions after one Protect. The listed spread outspeeds max Speed Jolly Scarf Hitmonlee and everything below, most notably including Timid Scarf Rotom-C and Modest Scarf Typhlosion. 20 Defense EVs prevent Ninjask's Substitute from being broken by a neutral 4 Attack Steelix Dragon Tail. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Special Defense for lack of other options; they can be placed in Attack if using X-Scissor, but placing them in Defense is not recommended, as it will give Download Porygon-Z a Special Attack boost.</p>

<p>Due to Ninjask's severe Stealth Rock weakness and its often crucial role on teams that use it, it is recommended to provide Ninjask with Rapid Spin support. Hitmonlee is recommended for its ability to Foresight spin, while scaring away common phazers such as Munchlax
at the same time. Another option to keep Ninjask alive is to provide Wish support. Clefable is an excellent choice for this, due to its unpredictability, ability to troll Cofagrigus, and tendency to lure in Fighting-types which Ninjask can then laugh at. Alternatively, Alomomola also works very well if Entei is giving your team trouble.</p>

[SET]

name: Offensive Baton Pass
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ninjask is frequently seen as a Pokemon that does nothing but stall the opponent and has barely any firepower, which is precisely what makes this set so effective. Bug/Flying is a surprisingly effective type combination, resisted only by Aggron, Durant, Steelix, and Rotom among RU Pokemon, and the fact that Ninjask 4X resists two types and is immune to a third gives it plenty of opportunities to set up.
As if this wasn't enough of a niche, Ninjask sets up while sweeping, allowing it to Baton Pass out to let an ally finish what it started, which is something most other sweepers would kill for.</p>

<p>The item choice is a very difficult one
. Life Orb gives Ninjask several key KOs, but Focus Sash makes setting up much easier; if Ninjask hits +4, essentially only possible via Focus Sash, it might as well be GG. Other move options include Night Slash to hit Ghost-types or Substitute to scout and block status, but finding a spot for these moves is a difficult prospect.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs allow Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice
or barely survive a 252 Attack Choice Band Entei Extremespeed, allowing for a Baton Pass even in that scenario, though this will not work if Ninjask has taken any prior damage. The Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed neutral-natured base 80s with a Choice Scarf at +0, as well as Modest Accelgor.</p>

<p>This set is best paired with a non-Choiced bulky physical attacker that can come in and sweep up the dust Ninjask leaves behind; Entei, Rhydon, and Aggron deserve special mention for immunity to burn, paralysis, and poison
, respectively. Entry hazards are an absolute must for this set as they net Ninjask many more OHKOs; using Focus Sash as the item magnifies the need for them even more. As such, it is unlikely that this Ninjask will be used in the lead position, which in turn makes Rapid Spin support also a necessity. Dugtrio and Magneton are extremely viable partners, since they can trap the Steel-types that cause Ninjask headaches. Finally, while it is not vital, cleric support is appreciated; a paralyzed or burned attacking Ninjask can't really do much besides pass.

[Other Options]

<p>While Ninjask has a good number of other options, few of them are viable, especially given how much
Ninjask needs its four moveslots. One notable option is Roost. On paper, the move extends Ninjask's longevity, but in practice Ninjask needs every spare turn it can get to set up Swords Dance, and Ninjask is rarely able to pull off a Roost when it is not behind a Substitute. Toxic is another choice to surprise bulkier opponents attempting to haze or phaze Ninjask, but it does nothing to Steelix or Drapion and is seldom worth a precious moveslot. Hone Claws is an option over Swords Dance, but is only recommended if you intend to pass to Hustle Durant or Zweilous; Swords Dance is better in almost every other case. Dig can be used on the attacking set if you're terrified of Aggron, but this tends to lure in Flying-types, most of which resist X-Scissor. Lastly, Ninjask has access to Final Gambit, but it is completely outclassed at this role by Accelgor.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>In general, when facing a Ninjask, it is extremely important to not give it time to set up
—given free turns, Ninjask is all too happy to set up and pass to something that will sweep your entire team. Of course, it's not particularly fun to see a formerly slow sweeper suddenly become lightning fast just because Ninjask stalled you, even without the +2 Attack. If you want to prevent Ninjask from passing entirely, there are quite a few ways of going about this.</p>

<p>Ninjask
despises facing priority attacks not named Mach Punch. Entei's ExtremeSpeed is extremely likely to ruin its day; even on the pure passer set with Protect, Ninjask is held to a simple +1 Speed pass. Likewise, Ninjask does not enjoy facing Prankster, as it is likely to be hit by a Thunder Wave before it can set up a Substitute. Another viable answer to Ninjask is Cofagrigus. It can really mess up Ninjask's strategy with a simple Haze, burn the attacking set, and is not even OHKOed by a +2 Night Slash unless Ninjask has Spikes support. Similarly, anything with access to Roar or Whirlwind can bypass Ninjask's game. Munchlax is the most notable, as it avoids an OHKO from the attacking set, though it does take significant damage. While Ninjask hates Rock moves in general, Rock Blast and Stealth Rock really stand out. The former can OHKO even through Focus Sash or Substitute, while the latter makes it very difficult for Ninjask to come back in. Finally, Taunt and Encore can bypass Ninjask's substitutes to make its job very difficult, especially on the pure passer set, but this is a lesser option due to the possibility of Ninjask carrying a Mental Herb.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Ninjask's Dream World ability is Infiltrator. Apart from the ability itself being situational at best, Speed Boost is one of the biggest things making Ninjask stand out. Always use Speed Boost.</p>

It gets Dig! xD

but yea Baton Pass is all Ninjask should be doing.

I would actually make the item slashes like this: Mental Herb / Leftovers and Focus Sash in AC.

Ninjask has Substitute and Protect so it can forego Focus Sash imo. Mental Herb is much more useful to block Taunt, and Leftovers is always good. Lum Berry can go in AC as well.

Ninjask kinda has terrible defenses, so I would mention a more offensively oriented EV spread in the AC or something

Okay, I made a few edits with your fixes in mind.

After a bit of experimentation with the Smogon damage calculator, it seems 20 Defense EVs (along with the HP EVs) protect against a Steelix Dragon Tail with minimal investment, so I de-emphasized phazing in general and Steelix in particular. I haven't tested this on Pokemon Online yet, though.

I still think Focus Sash is the most useful item for its ability to give a near-guaranteed Swords Dance, though I've slashed in Mental Herb and Leftovers.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention Rapid Spin support. DERP

EDIT: Did what was suggested below, as well as a few other minor fixes.

EDIT2: Tested the set on Pokemon Online against minimum Steelix; in seven attempts (no crits) Dragon Tail failed to break the Sub.

You could also mention how using Ninjask in the "lead" position works well since it doesn't take Stealth Rock damage obviously

So I've been messing around with a mixed Baton Pass/attacking set as of late, and it's worked surprisingly well. I think it deserves a spot on the analysis. Also, made some minor fixes to the other sections, and heavily revamped the Checks and Counters section. I don't usually bump threads, but I figure the revamping was large enough to merit it.

Any thoughts/fixes from the QC team (or anyone else, for that matter) are appreciated.

I would say that Night Slash is way too specific to be listed in the main set. Losing your secondary stab and method of beating stuff like Whirlwind Hariyama (and Fighting types in general) just doesn't seem worth beating Rotom for. Rotom can't Haze/phaze you anyway, so it's always possible to just BP once it comes in. True that poke may be coming into a WoW or something, but that's where Guts users/Entei take over. AC material imo, but it's not really my call.

Point well taken. Removed Night Slash from the main set. I hadn't tested Night Slash too extensively anyway; though it did take out weakened spinblockers a few times for me, there's no guarantee they'll be weakened enough for it to work, especially with Focus Sash.

Also, I honestly forgot Hariyama got Whirlwind. Haven't seen too much of it, and when I have, it's been as a Guts/Fake Out abuser. Noted in Checks/Counters.

I don't really see the merit in mental herb. Ninjask is already very fast, so it can usually set up a sub before the opponent would taunt it. I would slash it lefties / focus sash

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
In the pure baton pass set, Ninjask should have no speed Ev's, as it really is going to baton pass to it's teammate. It needs to be able to a ice shard, bullet punch, and extreme speed with ease. Try running 252 HP, 252 defense, and 4 special defense with a impish nature. This could be a whole new set if you want to make it a pure defensive ninjask. Surprisingly, this set totally dominates almost any attack thrown at it. LO Mamoswine's Ice Shard only does 65-77 percent damage, allowing Ninjask to definetly get off a baton pass. Choice Band dragonite's extreme speed does 51-60 percent damage. Choice Band Scizor's bullet punch does 56-66 percent damage. Overall it is definitely worth mentioning.

In the pure baton pass set, Ninjask should have no speed Ev's, as it really is going to baton pass to it's teammate. It needs to be able to a ice shard, bullet punch, and extreme speed with ease. Try running 252 HP, 252 defense, and 4 special defense with a impish nature. This could be a whole new set if you want to make it a pure defensive ninjask. Surprisingly, this set totally dominates almost any attack thrown at it. LO Mamoswine's Ice Shard only does 65-77 percent damage, allowing Ninjask to definetly get off a baton pass. Choice Band dragonite's extreme speed does 51-60 percent damage. Choice Band Scizor's bullet punch does 56-66 percent damage. Overall it is definitely worth mentioning.
This is RU, so none of the Pokemon you mentioned are relevant... In fact, the only common priority in RU is Mach Punch, which Ninjask 4x resists, and ExtremeSpeed from Entei, which never OHKOes with the given EV spread anyways.

Did that. Thanks for the QC check.

Also, after a bit of experimentation, I found that 208 Speed allows Jolly Ninjask to beat Timid Scarf Rotom-C (which is fairly likely to run Timid so it beats Scarf Krook). A quick look at the RU speed tiers shows that Hitmonlee is 87 to the mower's 86, so I made it 216 Speed, which outspeeds Lee by a mere 1 point thanks to the last 4 EVs giving Ninjask 2 Speed. I set it there, because the chance to outspeed more is more valuable than taking slightly less from special hits. And it barely beats Modest Scarf Typhlosion. (+0 Ninjask can't outspeed +Speed base 90s, unfortunately.)

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Leftovers is the best item for the first set, but everything else looks good. Nice job.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Okay, I've made that change. I'll have to test the first set more thoroughly, though. Thanks for the QC check.

Also fixed the line about Deoxys-S, since it's now uber. (Wow, I have been sick for a long freaking time.)

Thanks for the check, and with that, moved to Copyediting.

Hopefully I did a good job on the writeup, it's my first one.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
AMATEUR Checking this.

add
remove
comments/spelling

[Overview]

<p>Ninjask has been known as one of the best Baton Passers in the game ever since its introduction in Ruby and Sapphire, largely because of its ability, which boosts boosting its Speed for free every turn. Combine this Combined with access to Swords Dance, a base Speed that beats everything short of Deoxys-S, and an Attack stat quite usable by RU standards, and we can start to see why we see that Ninjask is one of the most feared Pokemon at its role. Unfortunately, this very fact turns out to be one of its biggest weaknesses; when an opponent sees the ninja cicada in Team Preview, they know exactly what it will be doing and will almost certainly send out something that can hinder it. Ninjask's awful defenses alongside its 4X Stealth Rock weakness only exacerbate this problem, as this it compels it Ninjask to favor the lead position in most matches. Still, Ninjask can make or break games entirely through its passing ability, and as such it should never be underestimated.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Ninjask's bread and butter;: a basic passing set for with the purpose of making a physical sweeper that is too strong for your opponent's team to handle. The combination of Substitute and Protect allows Ninjask to stall and let its ability do the work for it, and buys turns buying turns to hopefully get a Swords Dance in as well. If Ninjask manages to pass both a Swords Dance and a Substitute, the game may as well be over right there. However, a Sub + 3 attacks set is recommended for most receivers, since it is unlikely that Ninjask will be able to pass a Substitute intact, and the last thing any receiver wants is to be bogged down with status.</p>

<p>It is crucial to carefully decide which item to use to fit your team's needs. Leftovers is standard to allow for more Substitutes and generally extend Ninjask's longevity, but Focus Sash allows for the possibility of safely passing Swords Dance against something that could otherwise OHKO it., while Mental Herb works as well, giving allows Ninjask freedom against an opposing opponent's Taunt or Encore. Lum Berry is also an option, though Substitute will generally suffice for blocking status. It should also be noted that X-Scissor is an option in case Ninjask desperately needs an attacking move, but as this will greatly reduce Ninjask's defensive ability, use it at your own risk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs on this set allow for switching into Stealth Rock twice and or letting Ninjask make 4 Substitutes, which then have more HP and can remain intact if the receiver takes a resisted or weak hit. Max Speed isn't required since Ninjask outspeeds almost everything anyway, and beats the few remaining things exceptions after one Protect; the listed spread beats outspeeds max speed Speed Jolly Scarf Hitmonlee and everything below, most notably including Timid Scarf Rotom-C and Modest Scarf Typhlosion. 20 Defense EVs prevent Ninjask's Substitute from being broken by a neutral 4 Attack Steelix Dragon Tail. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Special Defense for lack of other options; they can be placed in Attack if using X-Scissor, but placing them in Defense is not recommended, since this as it will give Download Porygon-Z a Special Attack boost.</p>

<p>Due to Ninjask's severe Stealth Rock weakness and its often crucial role on teams that use it, it is recommended to provide Ninjask with Rapid Spin support. Hitmonlee is recommended for its ability to Foresight spin, while at the same time scaring away common phazers such as Munchlax at the same time. Another option to keep Ninjask alive is to provide Wish support. Clefable is an excellent choice for this, due to its unpredictability, ability to troll Cofagrigus, and tendency to lure in Fighting-types which Ninjask can then laugh at; alternatively Alternatively, Alomomola also works very well if Entei is giving your team trouble.</p>

[SET]
evs: 120 HP (space)/(space) 252 Atk (space)/(space) 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ninjask is frequently seen as a Pokemon that does nothing but stall the opponent and has barely any firepower, which is precisely what makes this set so effective. Bug/Flying is a surprisingly effective type combination, resisted only by Aggron, Durant, Steelix, and Rotom among RU Pokemon, and the fact that Ninjask 4X resists two types and is immune to a third gives it plenty of opportunities to set up. If As if this wasn't enough of a niche, consider that Ninjask is actually setting up while it's in the process of sweeping sets up while sweeping, and can pass allowing it to Baton Pass out to let an ally finish what it started, something most other sweepers would kill for.</p>

<p>The item choice is a very difficult one;. Life Orb gives Ninjask several key KOs, but Focus Sash makes setting up much easier; if and if Ninjask hits +4, (essentially only even possible via Focus Sash), it may as well be GG. Other move options include Night Slash to hit Ghost-types or Substitute to scout and block status, though but finding a spot for these moves is a difficult prospect.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs allow Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice, and or barely survive a 252 Attack Choice Band Entei Extremespeed, allowing for a pass Baton Pass even in that scenario, (though this will not work if Ninjask has taken any prior damage). The Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed neutral-natured base 80s with a Choice Scarf at +0, as well as Modest Accelgor.</p>

<p>This set is best paired with a non-Choiced bulky physical attacker that can come in and sweep up the dust Ninjask leaves behind; Entei, Rhydon, and Aggron deserve special mention for immunity to burn, paralysis, and poison, respectively. Entry hazards are an absolute must for this set; as they allow net Ninjask many more OHKOes OHKOs, especially if Focus Sash is used as the item [how does Focus Sash net Ninjask more OHKOs?]. As such, it is unlikely that this Ninjask will be used in the lead position, which in turn makes Rapid Spin support also a necessity. Dugtrio and Magneton are extremely viable partners, since they can trap the Steel-types that cause Ninjask headaches. Finally, while it is not vital, cleric support is appreciated; a paralyzed or burned attacking Ninjask can't really do much besides pass.

[Other Options]

<p>While Ninjask has a good number of other options, few of them are viable, especially given how much it Ninjask needs its four moveslots. One notable option is Roost. On paper, the move extends Ninjask's longevity, but in practice Ninjask needs every spare turn it can get to set up Swords Dance, and rarely can Ninjask is rarely able to pull off a Roost when it is not behind a Substitute. Toxic is another choice to surprise bulkier opponents attempting to haze or phaze Ninjask, but it does nothing to Steelix or Drapion and is seldom worth a precious moveslot. Hone Claws is an option over Swords Dance, but is only recommended if you intend to pass to Hustle Durant or Zweilous, otherwise; Swords Dance is better in almost every other case. Dig can be used on the attacking set if you're terrified of Aggron, but this tends to lure in Flying-types, most of which resist X-Scissor. Lastly, Ninjask has access to Final Gambit, but is 100% it is completely outclassed at this role by Accelgor.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>In general, when facing a Ninjask, it is extremely important to not give it time to set up-given free turns, Ninjask is all too happy to set up a pass that will sweep your entire team. Of course, it's not particularly fun to see a formerly slow sweeper suddenly become lightning-fast just because Ninjask stalled you, even without the +2 Attack. If you want to prevent Ninjask from passing entirely, there are quite a few ways of going about this.</p>

<p>Ninjask HATES despises facing priority attacks not named that isn't named Mach Punch. Entei's ExtremeSpeed is extremely likely to ruin its day; even on the pure passer set with Protect, Ninjask is held to a simple +1 Speed pass. Likewise, Ninjask does not enjoy facing Prankster, as it is likely to face a Thunder Wave before it can set up a Substitute. Another viable answer to Ninjask is Cofagrigus. It can really mess up Ninjask's strategy with a simple Haze, can burn the attacking set, and is not even OHKOed even by a +2 Night Slash unless Ninjask has Spikes support. Similarly, anything with access to Roar or Whirlwind can bypass Ninjask's game. Munchlax is most notable, as it avoids an OHKO from the attacking set, though it does take significant damage. While Ninjask hates Rock moves in general, Rock Blast and Stealth Rock really stand out. The former can OHKO even through Focus Sash or Substitute, while the latter makes it very difficult for Ninjask to come back in. Finally, Taunt and Encore can bypass Ninjask's substitutes to make its job very difficult, especially on the pure passer set, but this is a lesser option due to the possibility of Ninjask carrying a Mental Herb.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Ninjask's Dream World ability is Infiltrator. Apart from the ability itself being situational at best, Speed Boost is one of the biggest things making Ninjask stand out. Always use Speed Boost.</p>

done

done DONE

Edited to mirror Engineer Pikachu's check.

As for the comment about Focus Sash, I intended to say that Ninjask needs entry hazards even more if Focus Sash is used as the item; as such that's the only thing not mirrored. I'm not entirely certain about the phrasing there, but it was the best I could think of.

Add / Cap
Remove
(Comments)

[Overview]

<p>Ninjask has been known as one of the best Baton Passers in the game since its introduction in Ruby and Sapphire; this is largely because of its ability
, which boosts its Speed for free every turn. Combined with access to Swords Dance, a base Speed that beats everything short of Deoxys-S, and an Attack stat quite usable by RU standards, we see that it's clear why Ninjask is one of the most feared Pokemon at its role. Unfortunately, this very fact turns out to be one of its biggest weaknesses; when an opponent sees the ninja cicada in Team Preview, they know exactly what it will be doing and will almost certainly send out something that can hinder it. Ninjask's awful defenses alongside its 4X Stealth Rock weakness only exacerbate this problem, as it compels Ninjask to favor the lead position in most matches. Still, Ninjask can make or break games entirely through its passing ability, and as such it should never be underestimated. (cliche)</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Ninjask's bread and butter
: a basic passing set with the purpose of making a physical sweeper too strong for your opponent's team to handle. The combination of Substitute and Protect allows Ninjask to stall and let its ability do the work for it, buying turns to hopefully get a Swords Dance in as well. If Ninjask manages to pass both a Swords Dance and a Substitute, the game may might as well be over. However, a Sub + 3 attacks set is recommended for most receivers, since as it is unlikely that Ninjask will be able to pass a Substitute intact, and the last thing any receiver wants is to be bogged down with status.</p>

<p>It is crucial to carefully decide which item to use to fit your team's needs. Leftovers is standard to allow for more Substitutes and generally extend Ninjask's longevity, but Focus Sash allows for the possibility of safely passing Swords Dance against something that could otherwise OHKO
it. Mental Herb works as well, giving Ninjask freedom against an(space)opponent's Taunt or Encore. Lum Berry is also an option, though Substitute will generally suffice for blocking status. It should also be noted that X-Scissor is an option in case should Ninjask desperately needs an attacking move, but as this will greatly reduce Ninjask's defensive ability;, (semi) use it at your own risk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs on this set allow for switching into Stealth Rock twice
or letting Ninjask make 4 Substitutes, which then have more HP and can remain intact if the receiver takes a resisted or weak hit. Max Speed isn't required because since Ninjask outspeeds almost everything anyway and beats the few exceptions after one Protect.; (stop) The listed spread outspeeds max Speed Jolly Scarf Hitmonlee and everything below, most notably including Timid Scarf Rotom-C and Modest Scarf Typhlosion. 20 Defense EVs prevent Ninjask's Substitute from being broken by a neutral 4 Attack Steelix Dragon Tail. The remainder of the EVs are placed in Special Defense for lack of other options; they can be placed in Attack if using X-Scissor, but placing them in Defense is not recommended, as it will give Download Porygon-Z a Special Attack boost.</p>

<p>Due to Ninjask's severe Stealth Rock weakness and its often crucial role on teams that use it, it is recommended to provide Ninjask with Rapid Spin support. Hitmonlee is recommended for its ability to Foresight spin, while scaring away common phazers such as Munchlax
at the same time. Another option to keep Ninjask alive is to provide Wish support. Clefable is an excellent choice for this, due to its unpredictability, ability to troll Cofagrigus, and tendency to lure in Fighting-types which Ninjask can then laugh at. Alternatively, Alomomola also works very well if Entei is giving your team trouble.</p>

[SET]

evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ninjask is frequently seen as a Pokemon that does nothing but stall the opponent and has barely any firepower, which is precisely what makes this set so effective. Bug/Flying is a surprisingly effective type combination, resisted only by Aggron, Durant, Steelix, and Rotom among RU Pokemon, and the fact that Ninjask 4X resists two types and is immune to a third gives it plenty of opportunities to set up.
As if this wasn't enough of a niche, Ninjask sets up while sweeping, allowing it to Baton Pass out to let an ally finish what it started, which is something most other sweepers would kill for.</p>

<p>The item choice is a very difficult one
. Life Orb gives Ninjask several key KOs, but Focus Sash makes setting up much easier; if Ninjask hits +4, essentially only possible via Focus Sash, it may might as well be GG. Other move options include Night Slash to hit Ghost-types or Substitute to scout and block status, but finding a spot for these moves is a difficult prospect.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs allow Ninjask to switch into Stealth Rock twice
or barely survive a 252 Attack Choice Band Entei Extremespeed, allowing for a Baton Pass even in that scenario, though this will not work if Ninjask has taken any prior damage. The Speed EVs allow Ninjask to outspeed neutral-natured base 80s with a Choice Scarf at +0, as well as Modest Accelgor.</p>

<p>This set is best paired with a non-Choiced bulky physical attacker that can come in and sweep up the dust Ninjask leaves behind; Entei, Rhydon, and Aggron deserve special mention for immunity to burn, paralysis, and poison
, respectively. Entry hazards are an absolute must for this set as they net Ninjask many more OHKOs; using Focus Sash as the item magnifies the need for them even more. As such, it is unlikely that this Ninjask will be used in the lead position, which in turn makes Rapid Spin support also a necessity. Dugtrio and Magneton are extremely viable partners, since they can trap the Steel-types that cause Ninjask headaches. Finally, while it is not vital, cleric support is appreciated; a paralyzed or burned attacking Ninjask can't really do much besides pass.

[Other Options]

<p>While Ninjask has a good number of other options, few of them are viable, especially given how much
Ninjask needs its four moveslots. One notable option is Roost. On paper, the move extends Ninjask's longevity, but in practice Ninjask needs every spare turn it can get to set up Swords Dance, and Ninjask is rarely able to pull off a Roost when it is not behind a Substitute. Toxic is another choice to surprise bulkier opponents attempting to haze or phaze Ninjask, but it does nothing to Steelix or Drapion and is seldom worth a precious moveslot. Hone Claws is an option over Swords Dance, but is only recommended if you intend to pass to Hustle Durant or Zweilous; Swords Dance is better in almost every other case. Dig can be used on the attacking set if you're terrified of Aggron, but this tends to lure in Flying-types, most of which resist X-Scissor. Lastly, Ninjask has access to Final Gambit, but it is completely outclassed at this role by Accelgor.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>In general, when facing a Ninjask, it is extremely important to not give it time to set up
(no space)—given free turns, Ninjask is all too happy to set up a and pass to something that will sweep your entire team. Of course, it's not particularly fun to see a formerly slow sweeper suddenly become lightning fast just because Ninjask stalled you, even without the +2 Attack. If you want to prevent Ninjask from passing entirely, there are quite a few ways of going about this.</p>

<p>Ninjask
despises facing priority attacks not named Mach Punch. Entei's ExtremeSpeed is extremely likely to ruin its day; even on the pure passer set with Protect, Ninjask is held to a simple +1 Speed pass. Likewise, Ninjask does not enjoy facing Prankster, as it is likely to face be hit by a Thunder Wave before it can set up a Substitute. Another viable answer to Ninjask is Cofagrigus. It can really mess up Ninjask's strategy with a simple Haze, burn the attacking set, and is not even OHKOed by a +2 Night Slash unless Ninjask has Spikes support. Similarly, anything with access to Roar or Whirlwind can bypass Ninjask's game. Munchlax is the most notable, as it avoids an OHKO from the attacking set, though it does take significant damage. While Ninjask hates Rock moves in general, Rock Blast and Stealth Rock really stand out. The former can OHKO even through Focus Sash or Substitute, while the latter makes it very difficult for Ninjask to come back in. Finally, Taunt and Encore can bypass Ninjask's substitutes to make its job very difficult, especially on the pure passer set, but this is a lesser option due to the possibility of Ninjask carrying a Mental Herb.</p>

[Dream World]

Not too shabby...

2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)