Ninjask (Speed Passer) +

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been testing out Ninjask recently and I found out a few things about him that are pretty interesting. For one, I found with the right EV spread, he can survive most pritory attacks! Investing in defense seems kind of dumb at first with something with 61 HP/ 45 Def, but it really is his best chance in the OU teir this generation. To this end, I'm making one new set and modifing an extisting set because Ninjask fuction well in the Uber tier as well.

Caelum already added my spread for the Dedicated Speed Passer in the EV section, but I have his okay to display it in a new set. The first set does feature one of the best new things for Ninjask (Protect), as well as a fuller explaination.

Also, this could go in Platinum Updates because it does reference Scizor's Bullet Punch and some other things, but I figured it would be better here, because Ninjask didn't get anything from Platinum. If anybody wants to move this go right ahead.

I've tested this extensively, so don't dismiss this too quickly.

[SET]
name: Dedicated Speed Passer
move 1: Protect
move 2: Substitute
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 184 Def / 24 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to take care of many of the problems Ninjask has passing boosts by only attempting to pass Speed and not Attack. While Ninjask is fast, it is not faster than many Choice Scarf users, at least on the first turn of the game. Using Protect will allow you to get one Speed Boost in and be faster than almost every Choice Scarf user trying to Trick Ninjask. On turn two, put up a Substitute to stop Trick and to make sure you can get a successful Baton Pass. Use Protect and Subsitute to stall until you feel you have enough Speed Boosts, and then Baton Pass to a team member of your choice. Protect can also be used with Substitute to scout moves, and allow you to pass an unbroken Substitute to something that resists the attack.</p>

<p>The magic of this set is in the EV spread. 24 Speed EVs allow you to outrun all base 115 Speed Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf after one Speed boost. You can invest more Speed in case you see something faster than that, which is rare to say the least. Being faster than other Timid Scarf Trick users certainly has its merits though. With the given HP and Defense EVs Ninjask can survive almost any priority attack. This spread assures that Ninjask will never be OHKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Weavile's Ice Shard or an Adamant Scizor's Choice Band Bullet Punch, and is almost never 2HKOed by an Adamant Lucario's Life Orb ExtremeSpeed. This means you cannot be punished by priority attacks that normally would be the bane of its existence.</p>

On the forth move on the Focus Sash set is already on site, I'm going to slash Protect, and add this paragraph about using Ninjask in ubers:

<p>Ninjask is also a good choice for an Ubers lead with this set. Since Sandstorm is fairly uncommon in Ubers (and since both Kyogre and Groundon can eliminate the sand with their own weather effects), you may find that Protect works better over Sunny Day as the fourth move. Protect first turn, Swords Dance while Focus Sash saves you, and then Protect again. Then, you can Baton Pass +3 Speed and +2 Attack to a team-mate of your choice. Max Attack is recommended on this set to deal as much damage with X-Scissor; most Taunt users in the Uber tier are Psychic types and weak to Ninjask's STAB of choice. A Sword Danced X-Scissor will also do a decent amount of damage to Lugia, the most common phazer in Ubers. This set is effective, but requires prediction against priority users. If you suspect that Deoxys or Rayquaza is going to use Extremespeed, switch out or Baton Pass as soon as possible. Protect can help you scout for these, but remember it fails when used in succession.</p>

Nitpick away!

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I edited your post for grammar / formatting things I assumed you wouldn't mind. Also, this is my preemptive post pointing out that this plays differently then the Swords Dancer and warrants its own set (plus it's messy aesthetically to slash in Protect and then give a long winded explanation of why it's needed and then with the EVs etc. in the Set Comments of the Swords Dancer).

On the second part I edited to say the Sandstorm was "fairly uncommon" rather then "extremely uncommon" (that was my only subjective edit). I'd also mention right after that sentence that the commonality of Kyogre & Groudon often eliminate the weather issue as well.

Nice job. I'll let this sit here for another day or so and then I'm going to put it up since I have too have a lot of experience with this set and know it's value.

DARKIEDIT: movin' to pt updates <--- CAELUMEDIT: What the hell is this bullshit "DARKIEDIT".

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
<p>The magic of this set is in the EV spread. 24 Speed EVs allow you to outrun all base 115 Speed Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf after one Speed boost. You can invest more Speed in case you see something faster than that, which is rare to say the least. With the given HP and Defense EVs Ninjask can survive almost any priority attack. This spread assures that Ninjask will never be OHKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Weavile's Ice Shard or an Adamant Scizor's Choice Band Bullet Punch, and is almost never 2HKOed by an Adamant Lucario's Life Orb ExtremeSpeed. This means you cannot be punished by priority attacks that normally would be the bane of his existance.</p>
Don't see anything else, good job

Maybe you can put a berry in there instead of leftovers, so ninjask can still pass something other than speed if he wishes to.

And perhaps mention that with an Odd number for the HP stats, that Ninjask can switch into two stealth rocks without dying. (although it won't matter too much with leftovers)

On turn 2, put up a Substitute to stop Trick, and to make sure you get a successful Baton Pass.
As you spelled out first the first turn, it's necessary to also spell out the second. Also, the second comma is unneeded.
"On turn two, put up a Substitute to stop Trick and to make sure you get a successful Baton Pass."

This means you cannot be punished by priority attacks that normally would be the bane of his existance.
Existance should be spelled existence. Also, Ninjask has no set gender, thus "his" should be "its".

Max Attack is reccommended on this set to deal as much damage with X-Scissor: most Taunt users in that tier are Psychic and weak to Ninjask's STAB of choice.
Reccommended should be recommended. The colon should be a semicolon, and "that tier" should probably switched to "Ubers" to avoid sounding unclear.
"Max Attack is recommended on this set to deal as much damage with X-Scissor; most Taunt users in the Uber tier are Psychic types and weak to Ninjask's STAB of choice."

Hope I helped a little. :)

X-Scissor Ninjask to standard Lugia: 18.27% - 21.88%
+2 X-Scissor Ninjask to standard Lugia: 36.78% - 43.51%

I personally wouldn't say "good amount"... It can't hit Lugia for super effective whilst Roosting either, due to being faster, and can't do more than 50% without a couple of Swords Dance boosts. Plus, some Lugia may run more than 52 Defense EVs.

That's not part of what's going on the site, so it doesn't matter much.

Since Sandstorm is fairly uncommon in Ubers (and since both Kyogre and Groundon can eliminate the sand as well)
What's "as well" for? It seems to imply you named something that eliminated sand in a sentence before it, but that's not the case.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe you can put a berry in there instead of leftovers, so ninjask can still pass something other than speed if he wishes to.

And perhaps mention that with an Odd number for the HP stats, that Ninjask can switch into two stealth rocks without dying. (although it won't matter too much with leftovers)
I think the berry is more "other options". Ninjask needs Leftover so he can survive the pritory attacks that the set needs to be able to do.

I'll consider the odd numbered HP thing.

Helix: Thanks. Consider those edits taken care of.

Twash said:
X-Scissor Ninjask to standard Lugia: 18.27% - 21.88%
+2 X-Scissor Ninjask to standard Lugia: 36.78% - 43.51%

I personally wouldn't say "good amount"... It can't hit Lugia for super effective whilst Roosting either, due to being faster, and can't do more than 50% without a couple of Swords Dance boosts. Plus, some Lugia may run more than 52 Defense EVs.
I'll go ahead and change that to "decent damage after a Swords Dance".

Mekkah said:
What's "as well" for? It seems to imply you named something that eliminated sand in a sentence before it, but that's not the case.
Yeah, your right about that one. Editted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)