Other No items, Kalos bred tournament team.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Hey there! Sorry for the boring name, I figured it would be better to point out that this team is made for a weird ruleset. Anyway! I'm preparing myself for my first ever tournament that will be held locally later this year, and since this is my first tournament I want to try my best. However, it has weird rules, as a result I can't easily test out the team to find flaws and there are so many things I am worried about that my brain sort of overloaded. Which is why I thought I would come over here and ask for some opinions and advice on my team. My apologies if these 'custom rule' teams aren't allowed! I didn't see it in the rules so I was hoping it would be K. :)

The rules are as follows:
6v6 Singles Match
No items
Must be Kalos Bred/Caught (National Pokedex)
No legendaries

There are no tiers or whatever clauses except for the ones that apply in game, so there will be stuff like Swagger, evasion, Baton Passers and whatnot.

Note: All the EVs and calculations are made at level 50, not 100, as this will be in game.

Blaziken
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Where Blaziken was initially added as a nice Mega attacker before the tournament runners changed the rules again to make it no items including Mega Stones, I decided to keep Blaziken in anyway. As thanks to Speed Boost and it's nice attack stat, it can dent some nice holes in teams. The moves are somewhat self explanatory. I chose Low Kick over High Jump Kick, as I just didn't want to risk the recoil. Stone Edge is to allow me to bop Talonflames or Dnites who want to be cheeky and switch in.

Sableye
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Sableye was added thanks to my fear of Swagplay Klefki or other shenanigens in a tournament like this, and I love its overall utility with prankster Will-o-Wisp. The EVs and Nature allow me to outspeed 0 speed investment Klefki by 1 point to Taunt them before they can do any funny business. The rest was dumped into Sp.Defense because Will-o-Wisp's burns should patch up the defensive side.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite was chosen to be my dragon of choice, as thanks to Dragon Dance, Multiscale and the lack of any Choice Scarfs, it can do some nice work on one or two boosts. Fire Punch allows me to get Scizor, Skarm and Ferro who may wall me otherwise. Extremespeed gives me nice priority against opposing priority users who want to take Dragonite out once it is weakened, and because priority is always nice, especially when its ESpeed.

Rotom-Wash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash was to help deal with Talonflame and other Pokes that threaten Dnite and Blaziken. Without a Chesto Berry, I didn't really want Rest, and it being Kalos bred meant it can't have Pain Split, so I simply opted to have T.bolt in alongside Volt Switch for the extra powers. The EVs and Nature allow Rotom-W to OHKO physically defensive Skarmory, assuming at least 1% of its Hp is gone so that Sturdy doesn't count and deals a bit above 50% to Mandibuzz so it cant roost stall forever. T-Wave was chosen over Will-o-Wisp, as Sableye already has Will-o-Wisp, so might as well use T-Wave to cripple speedy Pokes or fire types/special attackers that Will-o-Wisp can't do much to.

Mamoswine
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine was chosen as the Stealth Rocker, for its ability to set up rocks and deal with Quagsire and Gastrodon who can't be hit by Rotom, thanks to Freeze-dry being a special move, not be completely destroyed the moment it gets burnt by a Scald though losing the amazing power in Icicle Crash does kinda suck, but the aforementioned threats would wall my team otherwise. The EVs in Sp.Attack allow Mamoswine to perfectly OHKO Quagsire after SR damage with Freeze-Dry. Ice Shard and EQ are fairly self explanatory, priority is always nice, EQ is always nice. Thick Fat since its Thick Fat and pretty good to hopefully let Mamo live a hit.

Scizor
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Scizor is my defogger, chosen since I wanted a defog/rapid spin user who wasn't fairy or water weak, and, well, was overall decent. Scizor was chosen, thanks to its nice complementary typing with the rest of the team, and MORE PRIORITY. This guy is sort of like an offensive supporter. Roost helps keep it in the game, U-Turn gives some nice momentum and can be annoying paired with Rotom's Volt Switch. The attack EVs are perfect to allow it to just 2HKO Clefable with Bullet Punch while at the same time doesn't really affect most other calcs at all because level 50 works like that, so I could pump some more investment into Defense.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I decided to build my team around Mega Kangaskhan. It's a powerhouse, and I always liked Kangaskhan as a Pokemon even before it got this OP evolution (HIPSTER ALERT??) so I thought I would try it out. I opted out of Fake Out, since I thought the coverage would be nicer. I was tempted to put in Rock Slide to surprise Charizard Ys and Talonflames, but I thought that EQ and Sucker Punch would be better since it can then handle Aegislash and M.Gengar with EQ, and has a priority attack and mindgames with Sucker Punch. I'm so super worried about Espeon in BP teams that I'm almost tempted to toss Circle Throw onto Kangaskhan.

Blaziken
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Initially I had Kangaskhan, but I didn't like how both my strong attackers could get bopped by a Will-o-Wisp and have it called a day. So I decided to go for using Mega Blaziken, oops turns out that they changed the rules again and now mega stones aren't allowed either, since like Kangaskhan, he's quite cool, and I never got a chance to use him before. Two standard STAB moves, don't want to risk HJK. Stone Edge is to bop Talons or Dnites or something who think they can be cheeky and switch in, and Protect is for the speed boost though I'm half tempted to use Substitute instead since most good players would expect the Protect and just switch or set up or something.

Sableye
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

I decided to use Sableye to support Kangaskhan, as it is immune to Kangaskhan's only weakness, fighting type, and has a lot of utility that I think will be very handy. It helps to neuter physical attackers with WoW, and Taunt is to help with Baton Pass shenanigans that will most likely be present, as well as a ton of other things that Taunt does like handle those darnded Swagger Klefkis. Foul play because Knock Off is useless in a no item tournament and Recover because Recover. The EVs and Nature is just so that I can outspeed uninvested Klefki to Taunt them before they can perform any funny business. I really don't want to have to deal with any swagger business. It also has the bonus of being able to taunt other Sableyes without worrying too much so that's good too I guess.

Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

I opted for Garchomp because a strong Dragon type I thought would be needed to handle stuff like Charizard X especially which can't be broken by WoW, and because Garchomp is stronk in general with nice STAB EQ and awesome coverage with Stone Edge. Swords Dance allows me to boost my great attack even more and hopefully allow for some sweeps. Basically just threw it in because it's Garchomp and everyone knows Garchomp is stronk.

Rotom-Heat
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

I noticed my team didn't have much to properly deal with stuff like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Mandibuzz, Skarmory and all that rot. With that in mind, I thought Rotom Heat would be a perfect fit. The fire coverage handles Ferrothorn and Forretress, and the electric moves handle Mandibuzz and Skarmory, along with a bunch of other Pokes. The EVs and nature allow Rotom to perfectly OHKO Physically defensive Skarmory with Thunderbolt, of course as long as at least 1 HP is chipped off of its health (or if someone is stupid enough to bring non sturdy Skarm) as well as stuff like Talonflame. It also deals a bit above 50% health to Mandibuzz so it can't roost stall forever. Thunder Wave is because Sableye already has Will-O-Wisp, and it would be handy to make sweepers a lot more manageable. Thanks to its fire typing, it can also eat up Will-O-Wisps and T-Waves that would be aimed at Garchomp and Kanga.

Rotom-Mow
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Mow? WTF? It's not normal get out of here.
I know I know. but in this situation, it happened to fit my team perfectly, I didn't just choose it for the sake of it. With the new addition of Blaziken, I no longer absolutely needed Rotom-Heat whose purpose was to bop ferrothorn and scizor and other steel types. On the other hand though, I noticed my team would have a lot of trouble with bulky waters like Gastrodon, Vaporeon and Quagsire, and I still wanted the electric coverage. So what's the next best thing? Rotom-Mow! The EVs and nature allow Rotom to perfectly OHKO Physically defensive Skarmory with Thunderbolt, of course as long as at least 1 HP is chipped off of its health (or if someone is stupid enough to bring non sturdy Skarm) as well as stuff like Talonflame. It also deals a bit above 50% health to Mandibuzz so it can't roost stall forever. Thunder Wave is because Sableye already has Will-O-Wisp, and it would be handy to make sweepers a lot more manageable. Thanks to its electric typing it can eat up T-Waves that would be aimed at Blaziken.

Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 172 HP / 132 SpA / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

I knew I'd need some kind of rapid spinner to get rid of rocks for Rotom and to sustain Skarm's sturdy, and because getting rid of it is helpful in general. At the same time, I also noticed that Blaziken could possibly run through my team. As a result, I opted for Starmie, of which can both Rapid Spin and act as a check for Blaziken. I chose Surf over Scald as Surf can net some key OHKOs that Scald can't, such as on Blaziken. The EVs were tailored so that Starmie can outspeed base 108s (Infernape), and so that Surf and Ice Beam could net KOs on Blaziken, Garchomp, and Dragonite (once Multiscale is broken). Recover, I think, will be an amazing move where no items are present, as it allows Starmie to keep healthy and there aren't choice banded/specs/LO Pokes to KO as easily. Furthermore, thanks to Natural Cure, I can also use Starmie to absorb statuses that my other Pokes wouldn't want to have.

Skarmory
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I knew I wanted a Stealth Rocker, as it would be handy for removing Dragonite Multiscales and any sturdies from Skarms or Steelixes and because sneaky pebbles are sneaky in general. Skarmory was my first thought, since it could set Stealth Rocks, phase away set up sweepers and Baton Passers (if Espeon is removed) and again, a healing move in Roost is handy. I put in Brave bird because Brave Bird and IDK what else Skarmory can do since I never used one before (the horror!). The EVs were just the recommended ones that Showdown gave me because I don't know what I want to tailor it for. I have now made a tailored EV set. It outspeeds uninvested Base 80s, mainly Mega Venusaur, so I can boop them with a Brave Bird.

Overall I'm quite happy on the team, but I can't help but feel very anxious without a whirlwind/roar/haze user to help with BP or minimize or whatever cosmic power nonsense. Hence I am stuck on my team, and asking for advice. :(

Thanks for reading!

• Sableye could be a problem. 5/6 of my team are special attackers, 4/6 will care a lot about burns. I need to scout out whether the Sableye would be more physically or specially defensive, and I then need to preserve Blaziken or Rotom-W for it.
  • Evasion, defense and sp.defense boosters can also be a problem if I don't have Sableye out to Taunt them, since I don't have any Roars or Whirlwinds or Hazes on my team.
  • Azumarill can poke lots of holes in my team.
  • Rotom-Wash can also be a problem. Again, 4/6 of my Pokes hate burns, and Blaziken cannot take a Hydro Pump.
  • Magic Guard + Calm Mind Clefable with Flamethrower. Can wall my Pokes with moonlight and though Scizor can 2HKO Bullet Punch it, it gets burnt to a crisp by an unboosted flamethrower.

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
Even if I haven't gotten any replies, I still want to bump this up in hopes! I understand it's not a smogon thing so it is hard to just glance and give advice. It's because of the weird ruleset that I haven't gotten the chance to really test things out for myself so everything is all theory. :(

I made a few changes. I added Blaziken because both my big attackers could get hit by a WoW and just be unable to do anything, so Sableye could have free reign. With a fire type, I had no need for Rotom-Heat's fire coverage as much. Bulky waters like gastrodon, rotom-w and quagsire could wall my team though, so the surprising Rotom-Mow fitted in perfectly, where I still wanted my electric coverage and t-wave. Also modified Skarm's EVs

Last edited:
First, running a bid more speed on starmie to outspeed gengar would be neat.

Next I see a huge sd talon weakness, which I could see being very common on itemless, and i would suggest changing to a rotom w, as it is one of the best checks.

Rotom-Mow
EVs: 252 HP / 212 def / 44spe
Bold Nature
- hydro pump
- pain split
- Volt Switch
- will oh wisp

I also don't really see the point in sabley without kanga, and I would suggest changing it to a stallbreaking gengar, as this can handle the bulky waters just fine, as well as doing great cribling offensive threats, e.g sucker punching kangashan, with a burn. The reason I feel it is better, is because it ads offensive pressure, and deals greatly with faries too.

Gengar
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 spd / 252 spe
Timid Nature
- shadow ball
- sludge bomb/ sludge wave/ substitute
- taunt
- Will oh wisp

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
First, running a bid more speed on starmie to outspeed gengar would be neat.

Next I see a huge sd talon weakness, which I could see being very common on itemless, and i would suggest changing to a rotom w, as it is one of the best checks.

Rotom-Mow
EVs: 252 HP / 212 def / 44spe
Bold Nature
- hydro pump
- pain split
- Volt Switch
- will oh wisp

I also don't really see the point in sabley without kanga, and I would suggest changing it to a stallbreaking gengar, as this can handle the bulky waters just fine, as well as doing great cribling offensive threats, e.g sucker punching kangashan, with a burn. The reason I feel it is better, is because it ads offensive pressure, and deals greatly with faries too.

Gengar
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 spd / 252 spe
Timid Nature
- shadow ball
- sludge bomb/ sludge wave/ substitute
- taunt
- Will oh wisp
Oh! Thanks a lot for the rates. I just have to include now, that the tournament oganizers changed the rules again so now megastones are not allowed. i really hope they don't change anything again a month before the tourney... Blaziken on its own is still pretty strong though so I'm thinking I'll just keep it, the rest of the team seems to still function except I'll just take out the skarm speed EVs and just dump it all back into defense.

Outspeeding Gengar might be a good idea. The Surf won't be able to OHKO it but it can revenge kill if I need it to so I'll put in that speed. :)

I guess you're right about the SD Talon weakness. I thought I had it covered with Starmie but I guess it can't really switch in easily huh (aw man I love Rotom-Mow too).
The gengar idea is definitely nifty, however, I'm still scared about Swagplay Klefkis, as Sableye was my man who would keep it under check. With that in mind, should I still put Gengar in anyway?

Oh! Thanks a lot for the rates. I just have to include now, that the tournament oganizers changed the rules again so now megastones are not allowed. i really hope they don't change anything again a month before the tourney... Blaziken on its own is still pretty strong though so I'm thinking I'll just keep it, the rest of the team seems to still function except I'll just take out the skarm speed EVs and just dump it all back into defense.

Outspeeding Gengar might be a good idea. The Surf won't be able to OHKO it but it can revenge kill if I need it to so I'll put in that speed. :)

I guess you're right about the SD Talon weakness. I thought I had it covered with Starmie but I guess it can't really switch in easily huh (aw man I love Rotom-Mow too).
The gengar idea is definitely nifty, however, I'm still scared about Swagplay Klefkis, as Sableye was my man who would keep it under check. With that in mind, should I still put Gengar in anyway?
The thing with starmie is that i cant take a adamant brave bird / acrobatic and it Will just die to a +2 hit. Talon wont find much of a opportunity to set up though, but you can't switch into it in any way, fearing a sd that will just rape your entire team. DONT LET IT SET UP

About the gengar, I apologies for not reading the descriptions closely, and forgot about clefki. You can keep it, and I think it's a decent option ^^ obvilios (<- I apologize if I misspelled it, not gonna lock it up) is a more offensive check, not being able to get confused it will greatly appreciate the swagger (foul play is a dick though) it can also run stealth rocks, meaning skarm have a free room for spikes, toxic, taunt, defog or whatever you chose ^^

Ability: Obvilios
Adamant/Jolly Nature (naughty or hasty if freeze dry is chosen)
- Ice shard
- Earthquake
- Icykle spear/Icykle crash/freeze dry
- Stealth rock/Stone egde/freeze dry

That's it, good luck In the tour ^^

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
The thing with starmie is that i cant take a adamant brave bird / acrobatic and it Will just die to a +2 hit. Talon wont find much of a opportunity to set up though, but you can't switch into it in any way, fearing a sd that will just rape your entire team. DONT LET IT SET UP

About the gengar, I apologies for not reading the descriptions closely, and forgot about clefki. You can keep it, and I think it's a decent option ^^ obvilios (<- I apologize if I misspelled it, not gonna lock it up) is a more offensive check, not being able to get confused it will greatly appreciate the swagger (foul play is a dick though) it can also run stealth rocks, meaning skarm have a free room for spikes, toxic, taunt, defog or whatever you chose ^^

Ability: Obvilios
Adamant/Jolly Nature (naughty or hasty if freeze dry is chosen)
- Ice shard
- Earthquake
- Icykle spear/Icykle crash/freeze dry
- Stealth rock/Stone egde/freeze dry

That's it, good luck In the tour ^^
Yeah, exactly. Talonflame sounds really scary now. Dat Acrobatics spam.

Mamoswine is a neat idea. I'm actually almost tempted to just replace it with Skarm, since I still like my Sableye for being able to cripple physical attackers with prankster will-o, and being able to taunt maybe evasion boosters before they can do anything. It'd finally give me a priority attack move and with freeze dry it could also do something to those bulky waters. The only problem is that they can deal a lot back to me with their scalds, so I can only do it by bringing Mamo in safely. Luckily they are quite slow, but I need to make sure to keep my Mamoswine very safe. Scary.

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 316-376 (80.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 186-218 (51.6 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 268-316 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 242-288 (67.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I like it, I like it. Only problem is fitting that SR in but I was thinking something like a moveset of Ice Shard/EQ/Freeze Dry/Stealth Rock. I'll tailor some EVs soon. Might just go for Thick Fat because it's nice, maybe? Enemy Rotom-Wash can still be a problem though. With no grass moves, I have nothing to hit it reliably.

With Rotom-Wash, I don't need Starmie as my spinner, since Rotom-Wash can deal with Blaziken very nicely. I think I'll keep T-Wave on it, since Sableye can spread the Will-o-Wisps.

Unfortunately the problem now is that I have 3 Grass weaknesses with Starmie, Rotom and Mamo. I don't need Starmie anymore, since Rotom-Wash is a nice counter to Blaziken. I can't use Defog Skarmory, since the Pokes have to be bred/caught in Kalos either. So I need to find a new rapid spinner, and hopefully one with Whirlwind/Roar, so I can do something about evasion boosters. Mandibuzz is decent, defensive and stuff, but then I'll have three Pokes weak to fairy and nothing to cover it. There's Crobat, but it's real frail. Scizor is a great option defensively and offensively, but it can't learn Whirlwind/Roar. I think it's mainly a choice between Crobat or Scizor, where Crobat has Whirlwind, but Scizor has the better typing for my team. I guess it all depends on how paranoid I am of evasion boosters/passers. Though I guess I could use Sableye to deal with it somewhat with Taunt, so I think Scizor will be added in.

Another possible problem I can see atm is Clefable who has too much balk and can't be worn down by burn thanks to Magic Guard+Moonlight, Blaziken can somewhat check it though as long as it doesn't set up too much. Not even a Scizor can deal that much to it. Plus I don't have a flying or psychic type anymore to deal SE damage to Fighting types. Hm.. Might replace Stone Edge with Brave Bird on Blaziken.

Looking at it now, I'm tempted to add Dragonite to replace. I lose a rock resistance and gain a weakness, but Garchomp is so frail anyway without defensive investment, and a DDancenite gives me another nice speedy attacker, with more priority in Extremespeed. It sounds pretty. What do you think? Something like Adamant/Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw or Outrage?/EQ/Extremespeed or should I just stick with Chomp?

I dunno. I guess my current line up is Blaziken, Sableye, Dragonite, Rotom-Wash, Scizor and Mamoswine.

And here I am going on and on, but this is how I teambuild, by typing a lot haha. :) Thanks again Tomato, and I cannot imply enough that I really appreciate your help with this. I'm starting to feel more confident now.

EDIT: And here's what I got. Still can't decide between Fire Punch or Thunder Punch (to hit Azumarill) with Dnite. What do you think?

I swapped Rotom-W's sp.defense to Defense. Turns out that spare 140 Defense is perfect to allow Rotom to perfectly survive two +2 Brave Birds from a Jolly Talonflame even after SR damage. Dunno how common Jolly Talon is but it's still something.
Scizor's EV spread is basically enough attack to kill everything that is needed, at level 50 most damage calcs don't change at all from 236-252. I wanted to put some extra bulk so yeah.

Blaziken
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Sableye
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Dragonite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Rotom-Wash
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Mamoswine
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Stealth Rock

Scizor
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. Talonflame sounds really scary now. Dat Acrobatics spam.

Mamoswine is a neat idea. I'm actually almost tempted to just replace it with Skarm, since I still like my Sableye for being able to cripple physical attackers with prankster will-o, and being able to taunt maybe evasion boosters before they can do anything. It'd finally give me a priority attack move and with freeze dry it could also do something to those bulky waters. The only problem is that they can deal a lot back to me with their scalds, so I can only do it by bringing Mamo in safely. Luckily they are quite slow, but I need to make sure to keep my Mamoswine very safe. Scary.

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 316-376 (80.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 186-218 (51.6 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 268-316 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 242-288 (67.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I like it, I like it. Only problem is fitting that SR in but I was thinking something like a moveset of Ice Shard/EQ/Freeze Dry/Stealth Rock. I'll tailor some EVs soon. Might just go for Thick Fat because it's nice, maybe? Enemy Rotom-Wash can still be a problem though. With no grass moves, I have nothing to hit it reliably.

With Rotom-Wash, I don't need Starmie as my spinner, since Rotom-Wash can deal with Blaziken very nicely. I think I'll keep T-Wave on it, since Sableye can spread the Will-o-Wisps.

Unfortunately the problem now is that I have 3 Grass weaknesses with Starmie, Rotom and Mamo. I don't need Starmie anymore, since Rotom-Wash is a nice counter to Blaziken. I can't use Defog Skarmory, since the Pokes have to be bred/caught in Kalos either. So I need to find a new rapid spinner, and hopefully one with Whirlwind/Roar, so I can do something about evasion boosters. Mandibuzz is decent, defensive and stuff, but then I'll have three Pokes weak to fairy and nothing to cover it. There's Crobat, but it's real frail. Scizor is a great option defensively and offensively, but it can't learn Whirlwind/Roar. I think it's mainly a choice between Crobat or Scizor, where Crobat has Whirlwind, but Scizor has the better typing for my team. I guess it all depends on how paranoid I am of evasion boosters/passers. Though I guess I could use Sableye to deal with it somewhat with Taunt, so I think Scizor will be added in.

Another possible problem I can see atm is Clefable who has too much balk and can't be worn down by burn thanks to Magic Guard+Moonlight, Blaziken can somewhat check it though as long as it doesn't set up too much. Not even a Scizor can deal that much to it. Plus I don't have a flying or psychic type anymore to deal SE damage to Fighting types. Hm.. Might replace Stone Edge with Brave Bird on Blaziken.

Looking at it now, I'm tempted to add Dragonite to replace. I lose a rock resistance and gain a weakness, but Garchomp is so frail anyway without defensive investment, and a DDancenite gives me another nice speedy attacker, with more priority in Extremespeed. It sounds pretty. What do you think? Something like Adamant/Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw or Outrage?/EQ/Extremespeed or should I just stick with Chomp?

I dunno. I guess my current line up is Blaziken, Sableye, Dragonite, Rotom-Wash, Scizor and Mamoswine.

And here I am going on and on, but this is how I teambuild, by typing a lot haha. :) Thanks again Tomato, and I cannot imply enough that I really appreciate your help with this. I'm starting to feel more confident now.

EDIT: And here's what I got. Still can't decide between Fire Punch or Thunder Punch (to hit Azumarill) with Dnite. What do you think?

I swapped Rotom-W's sp.defense to Defense. Turns out that spare 140 Defense is perfect to allow Rotom to perfectly survive two +2 Brave Birds from a Jolly Talonflame even after SR damage. Dunno how common Jolly Talon is but it's still something.
Scizor's EV spread is basically enough attack to kill everything that is needed, at level 50 most damage calcs don't change at all from 236-252. I wanted to put some extra bulk so yeah.

Blaziken
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Sableye
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Dragonite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Rotom-Wash
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Mamoswine
EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Stealth Rock

Scizor
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
I like the the new team quit a lot :] and i dont really think rotom is a problem tbh, it is easely worn down, especially without lefties, and the volturn core really hurts them. tbh i think obvilios is the surperior ability in a swagplay meta, think about it this way: what will thick fat really give you? you can maybe take a ice beam from greninja or a fireblast from garchomp, but its not like you will take a flare blitz from blaziken or anything, where obvilios lets you get a free boost from swagger, and allow you to set up your rocks against anything that try to taunt. its up to you though ^^

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
I like the the new team quit a lot :] and i dont really think rotom is a problem tbh, it is easely worn down, especially without lefties, and the volturn core really hurts them. tbh i think obvilios is the surperior ability in a swagplay meta, think about it this way: what will thick fat really give you? you can maybe take a ice beam from greninja or a fireblast from garchomp, but its not like you will take a flare blitz from blaziken or anything, where obvilios lets you get a free boost from swagger, and allow you to set up your rocks against anything that try to taunt. its up to you though ^^
Ahh, that's right. Without Lefties, Pain Split or Restochesto, it won't be quite as annoying. I guess I was way too hung up on not being able to 2HKO it or something haha.

Hmmm, that is a fair point on Oblivious. I tried looking up some possible moves that Thick Fat helps me survive where it otherwise wouldn't. I can survive an Infernape Flare Blits/Overheat, but it just OHKOs me with Close Combat anyway. It helps with Hydreigon Fire Blast, but it has a 25% chance to OHKO with Draco. It does let me deal with Mixchomp easypeasy though, which is nice. Rotom-Heat can't be touched at all anyhow (and isn't too common), Talonflame can only 2HKO but without Stone Edge on it I still can't do too much.

I guess Oblivious might really be useful. I can't help but feel paranoid for the odd stray fire move that I could otherwise live, but then again I do have other Pokemon for that stuff.
I was actually lucky enough to breed a 6IV Oblivious and a 6IV Thick Fat Swinub, so I can make a choice easy. :)

Thanks Tomato!

Ahh, that's right. Without Lefties, Pain Split or Restochesto, it won't be quite as annoying. I guess I was way too hung up on not being able to 2HKO it or something haha.

Hmmm, that is a fair point on Oblivious. I tried looking up some possible moves that Thick Fat helps me survive where it otherwise wouldn't. I can survive an Infernape Flare Blits/Overheat, but it just OHKOs me with Close Combat anyway. It helps with Hydreigon Fire Blast, but it has a 25% chance to OHKO with Draco. It does let me deal with Mixchomp easypeasy though, which is nice. Rotom-Heat can't be touched at all anyhow (and isn't too common), Talonflame can only 2HKO but without Stone Edge on it I still can't do too much.

I guess Oblivious might really be useful. I can't help but feel paranoid for the odd stray fire move that I could otherwise live, but then again I do have other Pokemon for that stuff.
I was actually lucky enough to breed a 6IV Oblivious and a 6IV Thick Fat Swinub, so I can make a choice easy. :)

Thanks Tomato!
Mixchomp is quit easely dealt with, with ice shard though :] and i just think that swagger is way more scary than potential koes being avoided, your welcome ^^

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
Mixchomp is quit easely dealt with, with ice shard though :] and i just think that swagger is way more scary than potential koes being avoided, your welcome ^^
Ah, that's true. Can't quite KO it without Life Orb but if it has any residual damage from SR or another Poke--down it goes! How fun.

I quite like how my team looks now too--though I am slightly concerned that 5/6 of them are physical attackers (well, Sableye is sort of with Foul Play) so I gotta play around physical walls carefully. I hope no one brings Furfrou--I love using that thing, and I know how scary it is if I can't phase it out. Will need to be careful around enemy Sableyes too. I put up a little threat list in my first post of what I think could be dangerous.

EDIT: I did a double take--Oblivious does not prevent confusion, only Taunt and Attract. :/ oh dear

Last edited:
Ah, that's true. Can't quite KO it without Life Orb but if it has any residual damage from SR or another Poke--down it goes! How fun.

I quite like how my team looks now too--though I am slightly concerned that 5/6 of them are physical attackers (well, Sableye is sort of with Foul Play) so I gotta play around physical walls carefully. I hope no one brings Furfrou--I love using that thing, and I know how scary it is if I can't phase it out. Will need to be careful around enemy Sableyes too. I put up a little threat list in my first post of what I think could be dangerous.

EDIT: I did a double take--Oblivious does not prevent confusion, only Taunt and Attract. :/ oh dear
Wait, I was sure it did n_n well.. then thick fat is the better ability :(

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
I'm so paranoid about boosters and being unable to phase them after boosting that I've had this Crobat idea stuck in my head all day:

Crobat
Infiltrator
Haze
Defog
Roost/Taunt
U-Turn

It's not as good as Scizor but I'm terrified of being unable to handle minimise/cosmic power/baton pass once they get going with only Sableye.

Tell me im stupid so I stop being scared

I'm so paranoid about boosters and being unable to phase them after boosting that I've had this Crobat idea stuck in my head all day:

Crobat
Infiltrator
Haze
Defog
Roost/Taunt
U-Turn

It's not as good as Scizor but I'm terrified of being unable to handle minimise/cosmic power/baton pass once they get going with only Sableye.

Tell me im stupid so I stop being scared
You're stupid n_n i think you'll be fine with just sableye ^^ and crobat really hurts the overall team...

13ulbasaur

is an Artist Alumnus
I'm considering adding a Greninja to my team to replace Dnite. It has grass coverage in Grass Knot that lets me deal with Gastro and Quag (but still does nothing to Rotom), has pretty nice coverage and as a special attacker isn't shut down by burns. The only problem is that it is incredibly frail, though its speed makes up for it, and without a Life Orb it misses out on some key KOs. I was considering Gengar or Alakazam of whom also have energy ball so as to deal with Rotom and are special attackers but they too are so frail. Opinions?

Also I think I'll replace Stone Edge with Swords Dance on Blaziken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)