SM OU No laughing Matter - Z-Dig Greninja BO Peak #1 / 2102 Elo (86% Gxe)

Screenshot ---> https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/14/5/1522971722-sgdv.jpg

Introduction :

Nobody can deny that SM OU isn't popular. For many reasons : mashups haven't been that important for a long time and several Mons are just a pain to deal with (hawlucha, magearna, toxapex, heatran, tapu lele, are my own nemeses). But the 7th generation brought something that shoudln't be underated : Z moves.
The potential of the Z moves is huge, and we can still get some fresh in this metagame thanks to it, even after so much time. This is where comes my team.

Team Building Process

greninja.gif

Greninja (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dig
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

It was Moutemoute that gave me the idea to build around Z-Dig Greninja, i was hyped from the beginning and knew it was going to work. This mon can set up spikes, OS Magearna, Toxapex, Heatran, Mawile, Magnezone, others Greninja, and without the recoil of the Life orb, many players will think that its choice scarfed. Its one of the best way to lure Mag and toxa, and a huge threat to offensive teams. Its only flaw is that it only works by surprise, i hope it will still be good despite this thread. I've already seen A LOT of Z-Dig gren on the ladder after my video (french YT) about this team.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My first idea for this teambuilding was to build around the core Z-Dig Gren + Tapu lele. The reason is quite obvious, once magearna, toxapex, magnezone, heatran, or mawile are gone, there isn't many Pokemon that can switch in, except Celesteela, tangrowth or tapu bulu.
It brings a good amount of speed in the team, just what i needed. Be very cautious, because it will almost every time be the one cleaning the opponent's team. Don't let Tapu lele die too early. Lele can be pretty useful to check Tapu koko (well SOMETIMES) or latios / latias

landorus-therian (1).gif

Landorus-Therian @ LeftoversAbility: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Here he comes, the Pokemon that fits every team. Well, in this team it has a even greater importance : to switch on kartana, zygarde, and even sometimes tapu koko. My team can be pretty fragile and if Landorus is weaken too early, the end of the game will probably be a pain. Rocks are a necessity, and hidden power ice is still useful to deal with others Landorus or zygarde. Its also the only Pokemon that gives me a way to use VolTurn. The speed is useful to win my duels against def Landorus.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch

Im sure most players won't agree with me about this set of Mawile. My team without fire fang really can't deal with Ferrothorn and M-Zor, so its a necessity.
I just can't stop playing Focus punch when i see every Heatran on the ladder switching on it, or when i litteraly sweep every stall team with it (skarmory can't switch on FP + Fire fang). I don't really need thunder punch because my team doesn't struggle against toxapex at all (+ Z-dig), and sword dance isn't that useful coupled with Tapu lele. I prefer this set, but i'm sure you can play it your way :)

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 192 HP / 80 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Toxic

Zygarde isn't the most threatening Pokemon in the current metagame, but in my team its role isn't negligible. I will often need to toxic Pokemon that are immuned to toxic spikes, like landorus, hawlucha, zapdos, etc. It will be an huge win condition against stall, and above all against Celesteela, a Pokemon that my team doesn't appreciate at all. Zygarde can 100% sub on Cele and toxapex, and will be able do his job well. 236 Speed outspeed scarf greninja (+2).

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is a necessity. My team can stack hazards whithout being destroyed by toxic spikes, and it's my main switch in to Ash gren, M-zor, volcarona, zard y. An easy way to consolidate the team and do cheap damages with toxic spikes. I also needed a Pokemon able to stop SG Magearna and others special sweepers. Full Spd is necessary to fulfill its role, and i don't need more bulk in def when i look at my team.

Main Threats

- Tapu koko
- Tapu bulu (SD)
- Tapu lele
- Rains
- Sticky Web
- Medicham
- Mew

Wait, aren't those too many threats ? Well, kinda. This team is an hyper offense really based on 50/50. I don't know if its just weak or i'm just too good (jk) but i'm sure any of those Pokemon can be dealt with. Tapu koko is the main threat, because of its speed : my revenge killer is only Tapu lele (and zygarde, if not too much weakened).
Don't hesitate to weaken Tapu lele or Bulu any time you can, because each come back will be a pain.
Rain isn't the main issue with this team, M-Swampert IN the rain, is. You have to toxic it through Zygarde or toxic spikes, and try to win several 50/50 with landorus and toxapex.
Sticky Web Teams are generally weak to toxic spikes, so lead toxapex and you will be able to win without too much struggle (keep landorus full, to deal with pinsir).
There isn't any switch in to Medicham in ANY hyper offense.
Mew has to be toxic(ed), if not, its just a pain to kill it without a huge hazard stacking.

Replays :

Pokemon Online World cup against Alastar Law, Z Dig did well.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-728137318

French Community League against Adri, it shows the power of lele scarf+toxic zygarde
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-726114982

Conclusion: Thanks for reading , i think my team won't fit many of you because of its flaws but i'm sure it can beats anybody if you master it.
S/o to
Moutemoute for the Z-dig idea (but kory2600 is the best french UU player). Sry for my bad english (french there).

IMPORTABLE : http://pokepast.es/835456a89495a446

Attachments

Last edited:
euum nice team but i can say you some change
So first i think u have to hange mawile mega to AV tang to can check koko bulu and rain its for me better i think and for the other change i think change toxic zygarde for protect cause u also have t spike so i think protect is better A other change is maybe payapa berry toxa for lele maybe
Another big threat is EH stk cause u hav e not defoger but its not too much important in offensive team
Anyways nice team team and gl :D

Take my like and leave :D

Nah, for real though, that is a pretty cool team. It is weak to a few cores, but the team does not outright lose to them. Z Dig is fire too, although it is walled by Rotom-Wash, but that Pokémon has lost its popularity anyway. I would NOT call it an HO, though. It is a BO because of the Toxaex and Zygarde.

Slt, cool team (la suite en anglais) and I really like the idea behind Z Dig Greninja. This team is already pretty solid I think, but I'd just try out one change that would help against some threats you brought up.

>
My change is Amonguss over Toxapex. While you may lose a cool answer to things like Volcarona, Amoonguss actually checks Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Rains as well as still removing Tspikes. It also still provides you a solid check to Ash Gren, (AV) Magearna, and other stuff. With this change, you'd lose your own Tspikes though. I'm not sure about the set to run, either SpD w/ Spore or an AV set would work.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire
- Stun Spore / Sludge Bomb

Anyway, your team looks great, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)