SS OU NO MERCY - A Bulky Offense Team Featuring Merciless Toxapex.

Hi and welcome to my first RMT! This isn’t exactly an optimal one, but I thought it was fun and thus worth posting. I hope you enjoy it!

It started with a question: why do I hate Toxapex? It wasn’t at all hard to find the answer. The 80 turn games, the status spreading, the hazard stacking, and toxapex at the center of it. Simply put, I hate stall. It was such a shame too since I thought Toxapex had a cool design. So in my quest to make him less annoying, I came up with this.

Pizza Cutter (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Venoshock
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump

The star of this team and my primary wincon. Its often overlooked signature ability turns it into a surprisingly effective sweeper. Venoshock is its main STAB being a 130 BP move boosted by merciless. Recover gives it longevity and toxic spikes is a great way to spread poison. Hydro Pump is a secondary stab move to hit steels and other resists. The EVs maximize attack and bulk, with black sludge for extra longevity. Toxic can be run over spikes for better 1v1s but I found spikes to be more useful.

Meam Birb (Mandibuzz) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 144 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Without regenerator to keep him healthy, Pex needs hazard support. Mandibuzz is my defogger of choice as she’s immune to two of Pex’s weaknesses. Foul Play stops sweepers in their tracks. Roost is for longevity and Defog for obvious reasons. I picked U-turn over Knock Off or Toxic as there were better options for Knock Off and I had other Toxic users. Plus I needed a pivot. HDB is so Mandi can do her job. Tbh I stole the EVs from Smogon but it's made to maximize bulk.

Chain Chomp (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Fire Blast

To complete the core we have Garchomp. He blocks Pex and Mandi’s weakness to electric as well as Mandi’s weakness to rock. This does add an extra weakness to fairy and ice but Toxapex sponges both of those. Stealth Rock is a no brainer that stacks with Toxic Spikes. Earthquake is for STAB with Fire Blast to pummel Ferro (but it only deals about 50%). Toxic lets Merciless do its work. The combination of RH and Rough Skin is to deter physical attacks (let’s hope Urshifu gets banned). EVs again I stole from Smogon but is also made for bulk.

The Fandom (Salazzle) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

At this point I was looking for a way to break through steels and to generally wallbreak. Nidoking was an attractive choice but his speed tier wasn’t doing it for me. Instead I turned to Salazzle. Her corrosion ability works wonders for this team, letting Toxapex hit steels and poisons with merciless, as well as just generally being annoying. Toxic is here to abuse corrosion. Fire Blast and Sludge Bomb are for STAB with FIre Blast destroying any steel not named Heatran. If given a free turn Nasty Plot turns Salazzle into a second wincon. HDB negates Stealth Rock and her EVs max out her wallbreaking potential.

Marty (Obstagoon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot
- Close Combat
- Facade

Obstagoon is easily my second favorite new mon behind only Falinks. I really don’t get why he’s not used more. He gets Parting Shot which is amazing, two amazing abilities in defiant and guts, and STAB Knock Off. Coincidentally that was exactly what I needed. Parting Shot is a second pivot move that helps out our tanks. Knock Off is needed for HDB. Close Combat is just for coverage and Facade for flame body from Moltres and Volcarona. I chose defiant over guts because one, I needed to stop opposing Defog as Pex can’t work without spikes, and two, to troll the omnipresent Landorous. A choice scarf may seem as an odd pick but it makes Knock Off spam easier and works well with Parting Shot. Scarf Obstagoon will also outrun the entire unboosted metagame bar Regieleki (but no one uses him) but if run into a lot of Scarf Lando Jolly might be better.

Last but not least we have the origami king. Originally Scarf Gallade was in this slot since it had Triple Axel as well as an emergency special tank, but he just wasn’t cutting it. Kartana is a physical wallbreaker and yet another wincon that I pulled from Pinkacross’s Raichu team. This is really a place holder mon that’ll hit the water types I can’t touch and ground types that threaten out Pex. Another Knock Off user is greatly appreciated. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike for STAB and Sacred Sword for coverage. Band plus max attack to boost its wallbreaking potential through the roof. I could keep going but you already know what this guy does.

Origami (Kartana) @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Threatlist:

Flying Types: I have no real way to threaten flying types. Without toxic spikes toxapex doesn’t dish out enough damage, not to mention both Zapdos and Lando threaten him out. The omnipresent HDB means no stealth chip and everyone is just set-up fodder to dragonite.

Magearna: Magnera will tear through any and everyone with the right coverage move. If its Shift Gear and Salazzle isn’t out its curtains. Other steel types can be a massive pain such as Scarf Eruption Heatran and Ferrothorn and Corviknight after I sacked Salazzle.

Futureport: Three of my heaviest hitters, Pex, Salazzle, and Kartana, are destroyed by Future Sight. Mandibuzz and Obstagoon negate this somewhat but Mandibuzz has to take repeated hits to defog and Obstagoon is 4x weak to Futureport’s biggest abuser (until the ban hammer gets him). Less of a threat comparatively but can back you into a corner if you’re not careful.

Poison Types: Other poison types, namely opposing Nidoking and Toxapex, are a massive headache to deal with. Nidoking will OHKO everything on my team with Ice Beam + Earth Power sans Mandibuzz and Obstagoon (again) with both absorbing toxic spikes and only Garchomp to EQ them. Salazzle is the saving grace as it can Toxic other Toxapex for my own to beat it 1 on 1.

Conclusion:

All in all, I think this team is pretty fun. It was glaring flaws yes, but it’s quite the sight watching toxapex sweep. Hitting flying types is my biggest issue right now as Salazzle works around steels and poisons and I have Mandi to sponge Futureport. Any and all feedback would be awesome though I am pretty fond of the mons I have.

Last edited:
Nice team! I get that pex is the star, but it really isn't a good wincon with 50 base special attack.

Nice team! I get that pex is the star, but it really isn't a good wincon with 50 base special attack.
Yeah I was really stretching it for Toxapex. Merciless essentially gives him 105 base special that breaks through calm mind though. And coming off of 130 BP Venoshock and 110 BP Hydro Pump it's been working so far. Technically his physical attack is higher but Venoshock is stronger than Gunk Shot.

Hi!
Nice team you got there!
Have you figured out what the EV spread on Mandibuzz is used for? Does it counter special things or is it just to maximize bulk on both ends?
Thanks!

nice team, but how do you deal with heal bell and aromatherapy? i just played the team and i got comepletely destroyed by that

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Had a bit of fun experimenting with this, and brought a few changes myself.

:swsh/kartana: -> :swsh/ferrothorn:
This change sadly makes the team less offensive, but is a slight neccessary change.
This team has absolutely no switchins for tapu koko, and electric types have ways to wear down garchomp normally, which ferrothorn flat out ignores, it still deals some offensive pressure to waters and grounds, and can help set hazards.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

:swsh/obstagoon: -> :swsh/zapdos-galar:
Switching into Urshifu is also a huge hassle for this team, a slightly bulky zapdos is able to dodge a 2hko from jolly band urshifu and threaten it back, it also retains the defiant aspect which allows it still be able to threaten defogers.
It still retains a wincon with bulk up, as well as being able to pivot with u-turn at the cost of the scarf.

Zapdos-Galar @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Thunderous Kick

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/00e3205b85301e10

I'd say switch hydro pump to hex on your pex, it will go a long way to solving your futureport problems, as hex can wreck slowbro if it's poisoned

Hi!
Nice team you got there!
Have you figured out what the EV spread on Mandibuzz is used for? Does it counter special things or is it just to maximize bulk on both ends?
Thanks!
I think it maximizes bulk on both ends. Mandibuzz has higher physical bulk but again it's stolen from smogon. I'm pretty sure the speed EVs are to beat out other annoying walls.

nice team, but how do you deal with heal bell and aromatherapy? i just played the team and i got comepletely destroyed by that
I don't have a way to deal with heal bell except to keep up toxic spikes. I never did run into a team with heal bell though.

Had a bit of fun experimenting with this, and brought a few changes myself.

:swsh/kartana: -> :swsh/ferrothorn:
This change sadly makes the team less offensive, but is a slight neccessary change.
This team has absolutely no switchins for tapu koko, and electric types have ways to wear down garchomp normally, which ferrothorn flat out ignores, it still deals some offensive pressure to waters and grounds, and can help set hazards.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

:swsh/obstagoon: -> :swsh/zapdos-galar:
Switching into Urshifu is also a huge hassle for this team, a slightly bulky zapdos is able to dodge a 2hko from jolly band urshifu and threaten it back, it also retains the defiant aspect which allows it still be able to threaten defogers.
It still retains a wincon with bulk up, as well as being able to pivot with u-turn at the cost of the scarf.

Zapdos-Galar @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Thunderous Kick

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/00e3205b85301e10
Thank you so much for the changes! I hate ferro but I have to admit it works wonders. I mainly ran Obstagoon for the swiss army knife toolkit but Zapdos does its main job so much better.

I'd say switch hydro pump to hex on your pex, it will go a long way to solving your futureport problems, as hex can wreck slowbro if it's poisoned
I thought about running Hex but I feel like the loss of STAB will really kill it. Also I hate rain teams and Pump ironically destroys them but I'll give it another shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)